BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
STinGA
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 552
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/19 17:23:29 (permalink)
It would be really interesting to find out if anyone is using a BCF with a Studio version of Sonar without your problems just to rule that out. I can't believe that's the issue but it really doesn't make any sense to me at all. I hate being defeated as well........

So frustrating isn't it,

Actually FBB that why I closed the original thread to find out if there were any other STUDIO users successfuly using a BCF.  So far no takers.  lets ask again just in case.

" Anybody using Sonar STUDIO 8.5.3 with a BCF2000, that has the track EQ workiing???? - anybody?"

Actually I may have answered this myself, as I downloaded the trial of 8 PE, it didn't work with that either :-(

I think for my own sanity I have to find and answer to this.  Tomorrow I will write out a comprhensive list of things I have done, just incase anything is glaring.

Thanks again y'all.
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/19 21:37:24 (permalink)
STinGA

It would be really interesting to find out if anyone is using a BCF with a Studio version of Sonar without your problems just to rule that out. I can't believe that's the issue but it really doesn't make any sense to me at all. I hate being defeated as well........

So frustrating isn't it,

Actually FBB that why I closed the original thread to find out if there were any other STUDIO users successfuly using a BCF.  So far no takers.  lets ask again just in case.

" Anybody using Sonar STUDIO 8.5.3 with a BCF2000, that has the track EQ workiing???? - anybody?"

Actually I may have answered this myself, as I downloaded the trial of 8 PE, it didn't work with that either :-(

I think for my own sanity I have to find and answer to this.  Tomorrow I will write out a comprhensive list of things I have done, just incase anything is glaring.

Thanks again y'all.

My gut tells me there's something missing in the configuration or procedures, somehow.   One thing comes to mind we haven't fully addressed, though it may not apply to your setup:

I had an Akai MPD18 that uses a generic Windows "Audio Device" driver.  It used to cause some problems when using the BCF 2000.  Once I removed that device, all was well.

So MAYBE there's some conflict with drivers in your system as well?  Worth looking into perhaps.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
STinGA
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/20 02:46:02 (permalink)
My gut tells me there's something missing in the configuration or procedures, somehow. One thing comes to mind we haven't fully addressed, though it may not apply to your setup: I had an Akai MPD18 that uses a generic Windows "Audio Device" driver. It used to cause some problems when using the BCF 2000. Once I removed that device, all was well. So MAYBE there's some conflict with drivers in your system as well? Worth looking into perhaps.

Of course everything is worth investigatinig.  I have a M-audio keystation 49, which is no longer pluged in - I've run out of USB :-(.  When I first setup the BCF the keystation was set up as an ACT controller, it is no longer conected, so is not showing up in the driver window, and is not setup anymore in the conrol surfaces dialogue.

One thing I have also done is had the BCF set up on a USB hub, it's not anymore its now plugged directly in to the laptop.

The thing that really niggles me is that BCF just doesn't see the EQ at all, unless it is in the effects bin.

I think later I will ask the question directly of Cake about the Studio-PE issue, see if they can help, although I doubt it as its a 3rd party peripheral.

ba_midi
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/20 13:49:04 (permalink)
The thing that really niggles me is that BCF just doesn't see the EQ at all, unless it is in the effects bin.

That gives me a hint at least.

I have not tried to use the BCF with 3rd party EQ at all yet.  It does work with the inline Sontius EQ easily though.

To use it with plugins in the FX bin takes a bit more maneuvering, so I don't bother.   It seems to want to 'scroll' through each item which is a long/tedious process, so I just don't use it that way.

However, one thing I DO do is to then use the BCF in a "remote control" function, which only takes a few seconds to setup.  Or I use any one of my other MIDI controllers.

Basically "Remote Control" uses MIDI learn which is very quick and easy.

So that may explain why I wasn't grasping the problem.   Maybe it just doesn't work well with non "inline" plugins.
But, as I say, there are workarounds (easier too).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/20 14:45:14 (permalink)
ba_midi

The thing that really niggles me is that BCF just doesn't see the EQ at all, unless it is in the effects bin.

I have not tried to use the BCF with 3rd party EQ at all yet.  It does work with the inline Sontius EQ easily though.

To use it with plugins in the FX bin takes a bit more maneuvering, so I don't bother.   It seems to want to 'scroll' through each item which is a long/tedious process, so I just don't use it that way.

However, one thing I DO do is to then use the BCF in a "remote control" function, which only takes a few seconds to setup.  Or I use any one of my other MIDI controllers.

So that may explain why I wasn't grasping the problem.   Maybe it just doesn't work well with non "inline" plugins.

Billy, if I understand Paul correctly he's not trying to use a 3rd party EQ. He can't see the Sonitus EQ unless it's inserted into the effects bin. He should be able to see it both in EQ mode and as the first plugin in plugin mode without inserting it. Almost as if the EQ (to the BCF at least) isn't there. If that is the case it seems very strange, I'm really at a loss.
ba_midi
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/20 15:24:24 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

ba_midi

Billy, if I understand Paul correctly he's not trying to use a 3rd party EQ. He can't see the Sonitus EQ unless it's inserted into the effects bin. He should be able to see it both in EQ mode and as the first plugin in plugin mode without inserting it. Almost as if the EQ (to the BCF at least) isn't there. If that is the case it seems very strange, I'm really at a loss.

Heh, I guess I'm getting confused as the mystery evolves.... but I'm pretty much at a loss as well :(

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

STinGA
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/20 17:07:31 (permalink)

That'll be excactly right FBB,

Weird isn't it, seems we're all at a loss.  Big Boo!

However, I'm liking Billy's idea of the Remote Control, I'm gusssing I'll be able to do exactly the same thing that way....Hmmm intriguing.  I'll play with that tomorrow.   Still doesn't appease me though as this damn thing should work, I should have to make do with work around.

Thanks chaps.
geetsifly
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/20 17:27:39 (permalink)
I was thinking... may be the MackieControl.ini has gotten corrupted. This definition file controls defines how a mackie control surface and Sonar interact with each other and I know the EQ definitions are in there. Since the BCF is emulating a Mackie device it might be a place to look.  On my system the file is located in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk

George

Sonar Platinum / Windows 7 64 SP1 / Intel I7 / 12GB ram / RME Hammerfall 9632 Interface / BCF2000 Control Surface
Lets connect on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/geetsifly or Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/geetsifly
STinGA
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/20 17:32:34 (permalink)
I was thinking... may be the MackieControl.ini has gotten corrupted. This definition file controls defines how a mackie control surface and Sonar interact with each other and I know the EQ definitions are in there. Since the BCF is emulating a Mackie device it might be a place to look. On my system the file is located in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk

Hi again George,

We had a look at the mackiecontrol.ini in the thread that preceeded this one, and couldn't find any issue there.  Since then I have re-installed Sonar, so that seems to rule that out.  I will re-check it though, In fact I'll repost it just incase there is something glaring we missed last time.

Thanks again.
ba_midi
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/20 18:09:21 (permalink)
STinGA

I was thinking... may be the MackieControl.ini has gotten corrupted. This definition file controls defines how a mackie control surface and Sonar interact with each other and I know the EQ definitions are in there. Since the BCF is emulating a Mackie device it might be a place to look. On my system the file is located in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk

Hi again George,

We had a look at the mackiecontrol.ini in the thread that preceeded this one, and couldn't find any issue there.  Since then I have re-installed Sonar, so that seems to rule that out.  I will re-check it though, In fact I'll repost it just incase there is something glaring we missed last time.

Thanks again.

Hmm, I'mot not sure a reinstall (without first uninstalling everything) will overwrite existing files.  So maybe George has a point ... ie, that the ini file is corrupt and the reinstall thinks it's there, so it's ok.

WHy not rename the file for now and try another reinstall?

It's a long shot, but a shot.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

STinGA
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/21 03:15:49 (permalink)
It's a long shot, but a shot.

....and one I'm aboout to take..... I'll be back.
STinGA
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/21 04:32:28 (permalink)
Ok,

ini file renamed, re-installed sonar, no different!

Just as I had a glimmer of hope :-)
ba_midi
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/21 09:36:44 (permalink)
STinGA

Ok,

ini file renamed, re-installed sonar, no different!

Just as I had a glimmer of hope :-)

Sigh.

Well, if I scratch my head on this anymore, I'll start to go bald LOL.

I seriously don't know what else to suggest.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

STinGA
Re:BCF2000 with Sonar Studio 8.5.3 2010/07/21 13:08:13 (permalink)

Sigh. Well, if I scratch my head on this anymore, I'll start to go bald LOL. I seriously don't know what else to suggest.

I know what you mean, I think its time to put this one to bed as unsolved - If anyone has a brainstorm in the future please feel free to re-open the case.

My sincerest thanks to all for your efforts.

\m/ Paul \m/
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1