Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64...

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Clint Swank
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 178
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 11:54:38 (permalink)
This is a very relevant topic for me, since I'm about to get my first computer with more than 4GB RAM (8, to be specific).  So, if someone could recap for me:  If I install W7 64 bit, and use Sonar 32 bit, I can only access 3,5GB RAM from Sonar, but I'll have all the 32 bit plugs, but if I use Sonar 64 bit, I get all 8 GB, but I'll have to use BitBridge (or something) to use those plugs, except Waves (which I have) which doesn't work at all, right?  

Will Windows processes other than Sonar (32 bit) access the unused 4 GB, and is there any benefit to that?  I.e. Will background functions intrude less on Sonar's operation?  Should I just install both Sonar 32 and 64 and see which works better? 

tunes:  http://www.soundclick.com/ClintSwank
HP 1520t I7 3770 8GIG ram Seagate 180g & 1TB extHD 7200 RPM, Zoom R-16 USB int, Fishman Triple Play guitar-midi interface, Alesis RA 300 power amp, Audix 1A monitors, Frankenstrat, old Martin, Godin LGXT
jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 12:04:32 (permalink)
HI Eratu,
remember i am not support :-) God help the guy i do support..
however i have not heard of anyone not happy with VE Pro. i see a lot of it
and yes Play now works...

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 12:19:45 (permalink)
timidi

vintagevibe

FWIW I use Sonar 8.5 32bit in Windows 7 64bit.  For my large libraries I use jBridge to run them in the 32bit Sonar.  I've had a lot less problems (but still some) using it this was as opposed to usinging BitBridge to have 32bit plugs in sonar 64bit.

So, you are able to access all your ram using Jbridge ?
I didn't think you could do this with 32 bit sonar/64 bit win7. 
Yes you can do that.  It's quite cool but I do get some hangs, though far less than with BitBridge and Sonar 64bit.

eratu
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2856
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 12:42:33 (permalink)
Clint Swank

This is a very relevant topic for me, since I'm about to get my first computer with more than 4GB RAM (8, to be specific).  So, if someone could recap for me:  If I install W7 64 bit, and use Sonar 32 bit, I can only access 3,5GB RAM from Sonar, but I'll have all the 32 bit plugs, but if I use Sonar 64 bit, I get all 8 GB, but I'll have to use BitBridge (or something) to use those plugs, except Waves (which I have) which doesn't work at all, right?  

Will Windows processes other than Sonar (32 bit) access the unused 4 GB, and is there any benefit to that?  I.e. Will background functions intrude less on Sonar's operation?  Should I just install both Sonar 32 and 64 and see which works better? 

It's as simple as this:

Inside an x64 OS, you can basically have as much RAM as you want (there are limitations, but those are mostly irrelevant now due to most people's budget issues going above 16GB RAM -- EDIT: I believe Win 7 x64 Home Premium goes up to 16GB, but Win 7 x64 Pro goes up to 192 GB RAM ).

Each separate program you run is allocated its own memory space.

A 32-bit application can access up to a full 4GB *in theory* but in practice, you generally won't experience a blissful full 4GB... it all depends on the developer. In the real world, I've noticed stability issues with a variety of 32-bit apps (including DAW apps) that approach 3-3.5 GB. I doubt some of those apps were well-tested > 2GB to be honest, due to the way that Windows XP allocated memory for apps.

Anyway, under an x64 OS, every single separate 32-bit application that runs in its own process does indeed get up to a theoretical 4GB.

This is where the problems come in for 32-bit DAW apps... a VST plugin is essentially a DLL that is loaded as part of the host's process... in other words, Sonar 32-bit AND all of its plugins that it directly calls, are all running inside the same 4GB boundary, even if your computer running Win 7 x64 has far more RAM.

Now, Sonar x64 does not have that limitation. It can access the full amount of RAM in the system. However, it can only call x64 plugins.

So, that's where bridges come into play. There are four bridges out there -- Cakewalk's BitBridge (good), Steinberg's VST Bridge (sucks), Reaper's Bridge (good) and jBridge (also good). VE Pro can also be used like a bridge, but it's way more than that.

They all work slightly differently, but the basic idea is that a bridge will have two components: a separate host/wrapper for the 32-bit plugin you want to use, and then a method by which the that host/wrapper communicates with your 64-bit DAW.

In the case of Bitbridge, it spawns separate BitBridge servers, and then communicates with Sonar via some fancy-schmancy inter-process communication, making it more or less transparent to you. But what's actually happening is that a SEPARATE host program (the BitBridge server) is running along side your Sonar x64 as a SEPARATE process... and it's communicating via some magic glue that passes the audio/MIDI data streams behind the scenes. The key point of this is that each BitBridge server that is running has ITS OWN memory space -- again, it is a separate 32-bit process.

So what that means is that Sonar x64 -- which can access as much RAM is it wants to -- connects to each 32-bit BitBridge server instance, which can each access up to 4GB per server instance, since each one is a separate process. They do not share each other's memory -- they just have to request memory from the OS. Each BitBridge server can host many plugins... up to the limit of 4GB. In practice, this is not a problem since Sonar actually will spawn more BitBridge servers as needed, so you'll never run out of memory for Bridged plugins, up to the limit of your physical system.

Hope that makes sense.

Sonar's BitBridge is very well executed and mature, but it's not perfect. You may find issues later on with it. So I'd suggest you invest in jBridge as well, which uses a slightly different method and may work better in the situations where BitBridge is flaky.

jBridge is different than BitBridge in that it creates a SEPARATE process for EACH plugin instance (which may or may not be an advantage, depending on how you look at it). It also has the very cool feature that it will bridge 32-32, 32-64, 64-32 and 64-64... meaning, the following:

You could theoretically run Sonar 32-bit, and then use jBridge to host plugins OUTSIDE the main Sonar process and memory space. Meaning that on a 64-bit OS, jBridge would actually allow you to use as much memory as you have for your DAW, even with 32-bit plugs and 32-bit Sonar, in 4GB chunks for each 32-bit process. How does it do that? Well, because each jBridged plugin gets its OWN process and memory, and are NOT loaded directly into Sonar.... only the jBridge wrapper-connector (for lack of a better term) is, which connects to the separately spawned, independent jBridge micro-host process. Hope that makes sense.

As to whether or not you should choose to install 32-bit or 64-bit Sonar (or both) on Win 7 x64, there's no harm in installing both. Your DAW's ecosystem may be very different than mine, and you may have 100% success either way.

The theory is that if you have all x64-native plugins, you don't need to every worry about BitBridge, and this should be better than running 32-bit Sonar. However, this may or may not really be true... depending on what plugins you're using, etc.

My current theory is that as of right now, x64 DAW apps and plugins are just still not as well tested as 32-bit... so complex projects may reveal a degree of instability like I'm experiencing.

Either way, I'd suggest you avoid using bridges if possible, unless you've thoroughly tested your plugins and DAW apps for 100% stability with those combinations of apps/plugs.

Good luck!
post edited by eratu - 2010/11/22 12:58:46
eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 13:05:59 (permalink)
jcschild

HI Eratu,

Good to hear... yeah, it's very tempting to go that direction... it will be a big change in the way I work, though... for good and ill. I love the idea of offloading all the memory-hungry VIs to VE Pro... especially onto another, external machine... but that will require a change in how I do plugin automation, work with the interfaces, etc... as you well know.

Rabid
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 13:31:47 (permalink)
I remember going from Win98 to WinXP and keeping my old Win98 machine for things that did not like XP. At the time it sounded like a good plan but in reality, I was always quick to find a replacement for that program that wanted to stay on W98.

Now I have a banging Win7-64 machine on the way and I've considered keeping my WinXP DAW running for programs that don't like Win7-64. The truth is, I most likely will not use it. Why repeat history? If Sonar instruments and effects, NI, Play and UA work under W7x64 I am more than covered. I expect the positive differences in speed to be great enough that I will never have any desire to go back for any reason. Most likely I will format my WinXP machine after a few weeks and make it a backup Win7-64 DAW.

If one of my hardware synths breaks my projects don't stop. I find another keyboard that I like and move on. I now have the same attitude with VSTi's. There is always something else to use...
RogerS
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 330
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 15:15:31 (permalink)
eratu - Terrific post, which is the most informative I've read on the subject. Two thumb up!

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
jcschild
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 16:20:08 (permalink)
eratu

jcschild

HI Eratu,

Good to hear... yeah, it's very tempting to go that direction... it will be a big change in the way I work, though... for good and ill. I love the idea of offloading all the memory-hungry VIs to VE Pro... especially onto another, external machine... but that will require a change in how I do plugin automation, work with the interfaces, etc... as you well know.
why not just run VE Pro on the same system (as well as off load)
you get 3 licences

Scott
ADK
eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 17:25:17 (permalink)
jcschild

eratu

jcschild

HI Eratu,

why not just run VE Pro on the same system (as well as off load)
you get 3 licences

Yes, that's true, and I'm open to that approach. When I did my initial testing with VE Pro, I tried hosting the VE Pro server locally and on another machine, but not both at the same time. I'll definitely try that out. I know you can instantiate many VE Pro server instances per machine as well... including x64 and x86 options running on the same machine. Just brilliant if you ask me.

I also have a KVM switch hooked up to my studio machines, so I could switch back and forth pretty easily for the remote server(s).

The main workflow change for me will be thinking of VE Pro as a huge rack of external synths/samplers, rather than something that integrates fully, right into the main DAW host. That will be a tricky change for me, although I guess in the "good ol' days" I did have racks of external gear so maybe it won't be a problem.

Also, the other change is that VE Pro will not reveal all the automation parameters of VE Pro-hosted plugins in the DAW, for example, like you get with normal native plugin usage. I don't know how much this will affect me...

I'll have to really think through this. :)
post edited by eratu - 2010/11/22 17:26:23
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 20:04:44 (permalink)
Either way, I'd suggest you avoid using bridges if possible, unless you've thoroughly tested your plugins and DAW apps for 100% stability with those combinations of apps/plugs. Good luck!

Wow! My head is still spinning. Now I know why I didn't go X64. So VE Pro handles this scenario differently than the other bridges?

Craig DuBuc
Clint Swank
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/22 21:29:21 (permalink)
After reading through this thread I did a bit of research on VE Pro, and I think I'm going to get it.  It does seem to be a massive workflow change to adjust to, but the idea of putting my old computer to work through a LAN, rather than moving it to the bedroom to watch Netflix on has a lot of appeal.  Now I'll just have to figure out how to set up a LAN. Only thing is my old (present, actually) laptop has "fast" ethernet, not gigabite (i think).  Is this a deal breaker, or just not optimal.  (I'm real used to not optimal.)

HP 1520t I7 3770 8GIG ram Seagate 180g & 1TB extHD 7200 RPM, Zoom R-16 USB int, Fishman Triple Play guitar-midi interface, Alesis RA 300 power amp, Audix 1A monitors, Frankenstrat, old Martin, Godin LGXT
eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/23 07:02:36 (permalink)
Crg

Wow! My head is still spinning. Now I know why I didn't go X64. So VE Pro handles this scenario differently than the other bridges?

VE Pro handles things a little differently, yes... but the basic principle of hosting the plugins in a separate process is similar.

VE Pro has a server component that isn't JUST a hosting server that communicates with the DAW... it's a full hosting environment with a very nice mixer, and you can essentially set up an entire virtual rack of synths that sit outside of whatever DAW you're using.

Then, you load a separate VE Pro plugin into your DAW, which essentially sets up pipes to connect to the various VE Pro servers you've created. Those data pipes can access separate VE Pro servers that are running locally on the same machine, or -- SO COOL -- over the network. :)

The only things transmitted to and from the VE Pro server are MIDI and Audio data. The DAW doesn't actually SEE the plugins themselves, other than as MIDI ports and data streams. So in that sense, VE Pro is very different than the bridges, because the bridges try to transparently wrap (using the the term "wrap" here loosely) the plugins, so that the DAW host sees them as native plugins.

So, just think of VE Pro as a massive outboard mixer/rack of VI goodness that's wired into your DAW with virtual MIDI and audio cables.

Think of the bridges as wrappers around each plugin to make the DAW see the bridged plugins as native plugins (but in reality, they aren't).

eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/23 07:07:40 (permalink)
Clint Swank

After reading through this thread I did a bit of research on VE Pro, and I think I'm going to get it.  It does seem to be a massive workflow change to adjust to, but the idea of putting my old computer to work through a LAN, rather than moving it to the bedroom to watch Netflix on has a lot of appeal.  Now I'll just have to figure out how to set up a LAN. Only thing is my old (present, actually) laptop has "fast" ethernet, not gigabite (i think).  Is this a deal breaker, or just not optimal.  (I'm real used to not optimal.)

I don't know how many limitations you'll experience with 100mbit vs. 1000mbit (1 gbit) networking. Basically, your network bandwidth will determine how many channels you can stream through the VE Pro plugin to the VE Pro server(s).

Now, one of the coolest things about VE Pro is its mixer -- which allows you to basically set up a myriad of routing/sub-mixing options over on the VE Pro server, and only send what channels you want through the VE Pro server to VE Pro plugin link. So in that sense you can control the amount of data sent (i.e., the bandwidth consumed). Therefore, it should be possible to have a limited number of channels going through a slower network connection. In the real world, I don't know what those limits would be -- you'll have to test it it out. :) But in theory, even a wireless connection could *maybe* possibly *maybe* perhaps support a few channels of audio streaming from a remote VE Pro server.
djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/29 18:43:06 (permalink)
When Windows 7 came out, I installed the 64 bit version on one hard drive and the 32 bit version on the other. Some of my programs didn't work right with the 64 bit version and I tried the 32 bit version and everything, I mean everything works perfectly with it, NO problems to report at all, solid as a rock.

My next upgrade will be to a Windows 7-32 bit on a SSD drive, some time in the next few months, if the prices come down as expected. 
jcschild
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/30 08:20:36 (permalink)
at this point in the game 32bit does not make any sense.
with Sonars bit bridge and/or Jbridge thre reall is no reason to.
and for Composers use VE Pro...

with that set up there is very very little that does not work right.
even UAD /Waves is working well.

Scott
ADK
Clint Swank
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/30 13:10:32 (permalink)
Well, I just went over to W7 x64 yesterday.  I loaded both Sonar x64 and x32, and so far the I like 32 bit a lot better.  My new laptop (HP 8730w, Core 2 quad X9300, 8 gig RAM) isn't breaking a sweat on just the available 4gig RAM,and using 64 I lost a lot of plugs (Waves in particular), and had some clicks and pops as well.(I'm not sure that I trust the Zoom 64 bit driver, either.)  Sonar 32 is smooth as glass on this rig. I'm getting Vienna Ensemble Pro soon--we'll see if that clears some things up, but for now  32's working fine.

eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/11/30 20:01:38 (permalink)
jcschild

at this point in the game 32bit does not make any sense.
with Sonars bit bridge and/or Jbridge thre reall is no reason to.
and for Composers use VE Pro...

with that set up there is very very little that does not work right.
even UAD /Waves is working well.

Usually I'm with you, Scott, but I'm not feeling as confident of x64 at this point... at least not to the level I hoped for and initially experienced moving simple projects over as I began the x64 migration. As my projects have become more and more complex across various Win 7 x64 DAWs (with various interfaces ranging from Lynx to Focusrite to Steinberg), the pattern that has emerged is that issues crop up not necessarily with SIZE of project, but rather the COMPLEXITY of project....

I can get excellent performance and stability on most "simple" projects -- and by simple I mean even big ones that near 12GB and high CPU loads -- as long as I stick with a smaller group or family of plugins. As I diversify the plugins used in the same project, that's when I've noticed instability/strangeness creep in... and I freely admit, it could simply be my library of plugins. :) For someone else, they may have 100% blissful stability.

To me, this supports the theory that plugin and DAW developers are NOT testing enough variety/combination of plugins at high loads... They may test high CPU use + large numbers of the same/similar plugins, but that's very different than testing high loads plus tons of *different* third-party plugins from different vendors in the same session (especially while working with HD video). Our famous and excellent benchmarks (i.e.: from Vin and company) are perfect examples of testing high load but not *variety* of plugins. They are great benchmarks and do the best job I've seen for what they are designed to do, but don't tell the *whole* story for what type of stability you can get out of a system with lots of *different* plugins and then throw video into the mix.

So this is why I'm starting to feel that the x64 DAW/plugin market is not quite there yet.

Honestly, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to compartmentalize project workflow and templates to keep projects as simple as possible. And yes, I'm greedy. :) I've had 100+ track projects go all day and night with HD video on Cubase x64, as long as I don't overdo it with plugin variety. So in that sense, it's pretty damn good... and it may be that this is already as good as it gets. But when I start to add complexity to the combinations of plugins, things can get wonky. Eliminating the use of bridges has helped somewhat.

If I can get some solid VE Pro templates set up, maybe that's the way to go for me... but if it exhibits the same type of strangeness, then I'll throw up my hands and just give in, and accept that this is as good as it gets. I'll probably just focus in on a smaller batch of plugins and build projects with those...

But yes, if someone uses less than 100 plugins in the project (regardless of RAM -  i.e. Kontakt, PLAY, Omnisphere to the brim are fine), then sure, you can get it to work very well for the most part. So in that sense, I agree with you, Scott. But if you go over 100 plugins with lots of *variety* of plugins, I've noticed project stability has a much higher probability of running into problems. That's all I'm saying.

But I'm still working through this... I haven't yet been able to set up big VE Pro templates and see what really happens. It could be worse... :) If that's the case, I'll be right back here and happily admit that.

Having gone through what I've gone through so far, my best advice to anyone on this topic would be:

1) Keep it simple. :)

2) See #1.
jcschild
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/12/01 09:37:05 (permalink)
i meant win7 64... not Sonar 64

dive into VE PRo.. i think you may be pleased.

Scott
ADK
eratu
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/12/01 12:21:25 (permalink)
jcschild

i meant win7 64... not Sonar 64

dive into VE PRo.. i think you may be pleased.

Well, Win 7 x64 I can fully agree with ya -- gotta take advantage of RAM, and the OS itself is very solid... As for the x64 DAW apps, though....

And as for for VE Pro, yes, I'm going to spend a lot of time with it in the next little while. My first pass through it, I was very impressed, but now I'm ready to really see what it can do. I'll hit it hard with 32-bit DAW apps and see how it goes. I'm planning on setting up a big template across two computers -- one a dual Xeon and one an i7, and I'll even test it out with PT9. :)
sven450
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 945
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/12/02 11:19:10 (permalink)
It's as simple as this: Inside an x64 OS, you can basically have as much RAM as you want (there are limitations, but those are mostly irrelevant now due to most people's budget issues going above 16GB RAM -- EDIT: I believe Win 7 x64 Home Premium goes up to 16GB, but Win 7 x64 Pro goes up to 192 GB RAM ). Each separate program you run is allocated its own memory space. A 32-bit application can access up to a full 4GB *in theory* but in practice, you generally won't experience a blissful full 4GB... it all depends on the developer. In the real world, I've noticed stability issues with a variety of 32-bit apps (including DAW apps) that approach 3-3.5 GB. I doubt some of those apps were well-tested > 2GB to be honest, due to the way that Windows XP allocated memory for apps. Anyway, under an x64 OS, every single separate 32-bit application that runs in its own process does indeed get up to a theoretical 4GB. This is where the problems come in for 32-bit DAW apps... a VST plugin is essentially a DLL that is loaded as part of the host's process... in other words, Sonar 32-bit AND all of its plugins that it directly calls, are all running inside the same 4GB boundary, even if your computer running Win 7 x64 has far more RAM. Now, Sonar x64 does not have that limitation. It can access the full amount of RAM in the system. However, it can only call x64 plugins. So, that's where bridges come into play. There are four bridges out there -- Cakewalk's BitBridge (good), Steinberg's VST Bridge (sucks), Reaper's Bridge (good) and jBridge (also good). VE Pro can also be used like a bridge, but it's way more than that. They all work slightly differently, but the basic idea is that a bridge will have two components: a separate host/wrapper for the 32-bit plugin you want to use, and then a method by which the that host/wrapper communicates with your 64-bit DAW. In the case of Bitbridge, it spawns separate BitBridge servers, and then communicates with Sonar via some fancy-schmancy inter-process communication, making it more or less transparent to you. But what's actually happening is that a SEPARATE host program (the BitBridge server) is running along side your Sonar x64 as a SEPARATE process... and it's communicating via some magic glue that passes the audio/MIDI data streams behind the scenes. The key point of this is that each BitBridge server that is running has ITS OWN memory space -- again, it is a separate 32-bit process. So what that means is that Sonar x64 -- which can access as much RAM is it wants to -- connects to each 32-bit BitBridge server instance, which can each access up to 4GB per server instance, since each one is a separate process. They do not share each other's memory -- they just have to request memory from the OS. Each BitBridge server can host many plugins... up to the limit of 4GB. In practice, this is not a problem since Sonar actually will spawn more BitBridge servers as needed, so you'll never run out of memory for Bridged plugins, up to the limit of your physical system. Hope that makes sense. Sonar's BitBridge is very well executed and mature, but it's not perfect. You may find issues later on with it. So I'd suggest you invest in jBridge as well, which uses a slightly different method and may work better in the situations where BitBridge is flaky. jBridge is different than BitBridge in that it creates a SEPARATE process for EACH plugin instance (which may or may not be an advantage, depending on how you look at it). It also has the very cool feature that it will bridge 32-32, 32-64, 64-32 and 64-64... meaning, the following: You could theoretically run Sonar 32-bit, and then use jBridge to host plugins OUTSIDE the main Sonar process and memory space. Meaning that on a 64-bit OS, jBridge would actually allow you to use as much memory as you have for your DAW, even with 32-bit plugs and 32-bit Sonar, in 4GB chunks for each 32-bit process. How does it do that? Well, because each jBridged plugin gets its OWN process and memory, and are NOT loaded directly into Sonar.... only the jBridge wrapper-connector (for lack of a better term) is, which connects to the separately spawned, independent jBridge micro-host process. Hope that makes sense. As to whether or not you should choose to install 32-bit or 64-bit Sonar (or both) on Win 7 x64, there's no harm in installing both. Your DAW's ecosystem may be very different than mine, and you may have 100% success either way. The theory is that if you have all x64-native plugins, you don't need to every worry about BitBridge, and this should be better than running 32-bit Sonar. However, this may or may not really be true... depending on what plugins you're using, etc. My current theory is that as of right now, x64 DAW apps and plugins are just still not as well tested as 32-bit... so complex projects may reveal a degree of instability like I'm experiencing. Either way, I'd suggest you avoid using bridges if possible, unless you've thoroughly tested your plugins and DAW apps for 100% stability with those combinations of apps/plugs. Good luck!

This was incredibly helpful.  Thank you!

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
Roland Octa-Capture            
Win 10 
i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
Some songs
Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
Originals:
 https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/12/02 11:39:48 (permalink)
Well, my Sonar Home Studio 7 XL and (soon to have X1 Essentials), Ivory II, Adobe Audition 3, and EWQL SO,  are all 32 bit programs that works very well with my Windows 7-32 bit.
 I have no need to upgrade. I have my sound samples on SSD's so I really don't need large amounts of memory.
post edited by djwayne - 2010/12/02 11:42:52
jjecsion
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Thinking of going back to x86 (32-bit) from x64 (64-bit) -- New thoughts on x64... 2010/12/04 08:08:44 (permalink)
CPU and ALU 64 bit architectures are based on 2003 records buses.In direction were introduced into the arena team integrated personnel in the form of the x86-64 and 64 architectures.A bit PowerPC exchange for a 32 bit to 64 bit architecture is a fundamental change, as most operating systems should be fundamentally changed to take advantage of the new architecture.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1