How many guitars do I need?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 14:51:23 (permalink)
Karyn

Bristol_Jonesey

The phrase "impluse buying" was originally coined with drummers in mind.
Fixed

I tried to get one today and the fishmonger said he was fresh out of impulses.

I managed to buy a little body spray from Boots though which says 'Impulse' on it.

Did I do good?

I'm not that impressed really, it sounds just like my flea spray and nothing like a guitar.  Maybe I'm not playing it right.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 17:35:59 (permalink)
Russell.Whaley

space_cowboy

I actually stopped buying guitars to collect vintage amps and vintage synths.  Those do not hang from the walls well like the guitars do.  

Oh
You also need some martins (2 here) and some taylors (3 here) and some odd and end other acoustics.  

My pride and joys are my 56 strat (not a reissue), 52 ES295 and 64 Firebird VII.  But I play my Mary Kaye reissue closet classic strat and my paisley tele and custom shop les paul and my SG about the most of anything.  Except when I have to have the sound of a Gretsch or a Ricky.  

Question from the uninformed - who is/was Mary Kaye?  The only "Mary Kay" I know of is the lady who built the cosmetics empire (my wife sells MK from time to time).  I'm assuming this is someone entirely different....?

http://wildwestguitars.com/fender/pages/mary_k.htm

Some 50s singer/guitar player that Fender made a custom strat for.  Many (including myself) believe it is the most attractive strat ever manufactured.  See through blonde finish with gold hardware and a maple neck.  

The 50s Mary Kayes are off the charts expensive.  Mine is a custom shop Closet Classic (like a relic that wasn't abused).  Maybe late 90s era.  It is an awesome machine.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
space_cowboy
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 17:38:46 (permalink)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOaLGKeBjkM

Mary Kaye Trio doing Lounge Music in some old movie.  Playing what appears to be a Mary Kaye strat.  

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 17:47:30 (permalink)
Wow,  you got a lot more in a trio than you do today...

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Russell.Whaley
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2755
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 18:26:45 (permalink)
drewfx1

Russell.Whaley

Question from the uninformed - who is/was Mary Kaye?  The only "Mary Kay" I know of is the lady who built the cosmetics empire (my wife sells MK from time to time).  I'm assuming this is someone entirely different....? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Kaye

As to the OP, you need at least one guitar for every pair of shoes she has.

Thanks much.

Russell.Whaley
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 18:28:39 (permalink)
space_cowboy

Russell.Whaley

space_cowboy

I actually stopped buying guitars to collect vintage amps and vintage synths.  Those do not hang from the walls well like the guitars do.  

Oh
You also need some martins (2 here) and some taylors (3 here) and some odd and end other acoustics.  

My pride and joys are my 56 strat (not a reissue), 52 ES295 and 64 Firebird VII.  But I play my Mary Kaye reissue closet classic strat and my paisley tele and custom shop les paul and my SG about the most of anything.  Except when I have to have the sound of a Gretsch or a Ricky.  

Some 50s singer/guitar player that Fender made a custom strat for.  Many (including myself) believe it is the most attractive strat ever manufactured.  See through blonde finish with gold hardware and a maple neck.  

The 50s Mary Kayes are off the charts expensive.  Mine is a custom shop Closet Classic (like a relic that wasn't abused).  Maybe late 90s era.  It is an awesome machine.  

That is a gorgeous guitar.

marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 19:07:55 (permalink)
space_cowboy

Russell.Whaley

space_cowboy

Oh

That is a beautiful guitar.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 19:22:09 (permalink)
i wish i could a) afford and b) get the nod to buy just one nice guitar!
 i reckon if i sold my washburn, ibby and fender precision i could get almost enough to buy half a decent guitar...which half should i get?!

even my ideal guitar is wrong - i want passive seymour duncans not actives!

mid you just seen this very guitar for just £789...hmmm....

post edited by mgh - 2011/01/24 19:24:06

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
jhughs
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1179
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 20:30:50 (permalink)
Yikes – I should have known not to post this and then close my laptop.

So much advice and humor I hardly know where to begin.  I’m going to miss a lot of you (sorry in advance).

First, I failed to mention that I HAVE purchased a bass, a Roland synth, an upright piano and a series of increasingly expensive violins.  None of them for me.  ;-(

Marcos69 – You’re right.  Nuff said.

Spacey – Thanks for all the advice around Strats.  I’m trying to figure out what the body on my 70’s era Start is because it weighs a hell of a lot more than my neighbor’s Strat.

Karyn – You reminded me of something I saw a few years ago in a Guitar Center shop.  It was a weekday evenening and there was this young woman who was all excited about the beautiful Les Paul she was buying her boyfriend for his birthday.  Can you imagine?  We need more significant others like that in the world!!!!!   (Honestly, I half-hoped my family would’ve done something like that for me for my 50th, but my wife knows how personal an instrument is….. but still.)

Beagle – Cute avatar.  No laser eyes.  Hey, I’m heading to Austin.  You reminded me, can you still get Bama pies in Texas?

Bub – Brilliant!  I need a rack that holds 6 guitars.  Now the answer is obvious.  Six… or more.

Space_Cowboy – Cool.  You’ve got the Steve Miller Wild Mountain Honey guitar.  I saw him at Ravinia a couple years ago and he told us what he’d been offered for it.  A few hundred thousand…. But he’s not selling.

Well, I’m thinking I’ll start looking at these things and then maybe that lil’ ol’ Strat won’t look so bad.

post edited by jhughs - 2011/01/24 20:33:07

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
space_cowboy
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 21:26:08 (permalink)
jhughs

Yikes – I should have known not to post this and then close my laptop.

So much advice and humor I hardly know where to begin.  I’m going to miss a lot of you (sorry in advance).

First, I failed to mention that I HAVE purchased a bass, a Roland synth, an upright piano and a series of increasingly expensive violins.  None of them for me.  ;-(

Marcos69 – You’re right.  Nuff said.

Spacey – Thanks for all the advice around Strats.  I’m trying to figure out what the body on my 70’s era Start is because it weighs a hell of a lot more than my neighbor’s Strat.

Karyn – You reminded me of something I saw a few years ago in a Guitar Center shop.  It was a weekday evenening and there was this young woman who was all excited about the beautiful Les Paul she was buying her boyfriend for his birthday.  Can you imagine?  We need more significant others like that in the world!!!!!   (Honestly, I half-hoped my family would’ve done something like that for me for my 50th, but my wife knows how personal an instrument is….. but still.)

Beagle – Cute avatar.  No laser eyes.  Hey, I’m heading to Austin.  You reminded me, can you still get Bama pies in Texas?

Bub – Brilliant!  I need a rack that holds 6 guitars.  Now the answer is obvious.  Six… or more.

Space_Cowboy – Cool.  You’ve got the Steve Miller Wild Mountain Honey guitar.  I saw him at Ravinia a couple years ago and he told us what he’d been offered for it.  A few hundred thousand…. But he’s not selling.

Well, I’m thinking I’ll start looking at these things and then maybe that lil’ ol’ Strat won’t look so bad.

Whoa what is the steve miller wild mountain honey guitar?

Also, is that above a variation on a Chapmann Stick?  I have one of those and have no idea what to do with it.  

Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 21:29:39 (permalink)
Chap Stick is for dry, cracked lips.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

space_cowboy
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 22:20:04 (permalink)
In this case, perhaps 10 of them.  SInce there are 10 strings.  

Maybe I should get the beast back out and learn it.  

This is the chap stick I am talking about.  I have not opened my case in maybe 5 years.  You do not pick the thing!

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 22:26:30 (permalink)

probably but I don't ever see them in the big cities - usually just on insterstate stops.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
space_cowboy
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 22:30:24 (permalink)
Bama pies?

Beagle are you from Bama?  Is JHughs from Bama?  I am an old LA boy myself (lower Alabama).

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 22:34:53 (permalink)
oh no no no!  I'm not a Crimson!!!  I'm Orange!

but they do sell those in truckstops in Tejas!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/25 06:56:10 (permalink)
OK, I said to myself I weren't gonna do it.

But everyone is busting out the photos.

Here's my wife's Ric 325v59:

space_cowboy
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/25 17:32:37 (permalink)
Mike
I have a John Lennon model Ricky - Like yours but black and no Bigsby.  My big ol fingers and that 3/4 scale fretboard do not play well together.  Then again, my reach is about 12 octaves on that board.  Hell the guitar is almost short enough to hit a whammy (if mine had one) with my left pinky while holding an A chord on the second fret.  

But it sounds awesome - particularly through an AC30.  

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/25 18:05:59 (permalink)

Nice.

That one is to small for me as well... it actually is my wife's.

This one is my 25 and 1/2"...............record :-)

I have a friend who was the customer service department at Ric for a decade... he got to touch Mr Hall's Beatles signature album and everything... I asked him if it was cool to bolt a Bigsby on my 350... he said it will work fine... so someday I may do so.

best regards,
mike

edit spelling

post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/01/25 21:28:18

jhughs
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1179
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/25 20:14:01 (permalink)
I'm on the road so don't have proper time to respond but:

1) This is what I called the "Wild Mountain Honey" guitar.  Steve said he found it in a bargain bin in Chicago.   If you get a chance to watch "Steve Miller Band - Live from Chicago" he talks about it.

2) The image I posted was a Warr Guitar.  Yes, it's like the Chapman Stick.

3) About the Bama pies.  Sorry, I was born north of the Mason-Dixie line, but loved living in Dallas for seven years.  All the becan references just remind me of the Bama pies.  We don't don't have those up north..... so far as I know.  :-(
post edited by jhughs - 2011/01/25 20:16:39

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
Russell.Whaley
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/25 21:02:46 (permalink)
I'm not sure I've seen them north of OKC.  My wife was born in Birmingham AL and grew up in Montgomery... she's gotten me hooked on a number of Southern calories, Bama Pies among them. 

Fortunately (for my waistline, at least...), we don't have much of that stuff this far north.  But there's always something else...

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/26 00:19:57 (permalink)
jhughs

I'm on the road so don't have proper time to respond but:

1) This is what I called the "Wild Mountain Honey" guitar.  Steve said he found it in a bargain bin in Chicago.   If you get a chance to watch "Steve Miller Band - Live from Chicago" he talks about it. 
Hey I have one like that (but mine's a cheap Rogue STR-1). To me it's known as the "Close to the Edge guitar" . Actually it's a copy of the famed Coral Electric Sitar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_sitar

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1