Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'.

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
kb420
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1839
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 14:13:09 (permalink)
My favorite music software programs are made in Germany and Sweden. :)

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 14:18:39 (permalink)
With a statement like.............

These people simply don't belong on these sorts of projects

You've just elevated yourself to the top of my Terry........ list. Congratulations.

If you don't understand try googling 'Terry' and 'Viz'...........
Lowline
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 14:51:02 (permalink)
This guy needs to be banned and this thread binned.  It's just one of the worst things i've seen on this forum.
Crush
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 138
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/29 02:58:22 (permalink)
Ok an update.

As you know I am a kiddie loopster that is low IQ and looking for ease of use and software that simply does what it is supposed to.

Sonar X1 seemed to be the best of everything I tried (bugs aside) and praised it for that. However the drums left a LOT to be desired and I was still disappointed in all the added mouse clicks and illogical processes to do something simple.

I was going to try Protools 9 and Logic on a Mac.

But I've been using Presonus Studio One last night and today.

Let me just say this.

Any software vendor that should consider that software a serious, serious, threat to them and look to see what they are doing.

The software is that perfect 10/10 Sony Vegas software that can do it all.

I didn't even NEED to read a manual or watch tutorials to get up and running. Just simply move your mouse around and operate off hunch and software is so good it will deliver what you want.

There is definitely some small things I would like improved upon, but the software is way, WAY, *WAY* more logical than anything I've used. The grids snap. The loops loop. The drum handling is amazing. The quantize is perfect.

There is no need to try anything else at this point.

The sad thing is, Sonar X1 is actually very close to that kind of functionality but the X1 interface is often illogical and overly complex (I know a lot of you guys like the DAW's to be puzzles more than work flow. Not me. After seeing a 5 part series on drums, I don't think the people at Sonar really 'get it'. It seems they want to be Logic or Cubase more than their own software.

Studio One is NOT like the other DAW's. It uses logic and proper project design. It just does what you want it to. No manual needed. No instructions needed. No running to forums asking how to do simple things that should be obvious (like how to snap!).

Again any DAW makers should be very afraid at this point.

I actually feel at 'home' using this software. You can download the demo on their website and see for yourself. Just move and drag and drop what you want.. right click for menu options.. Like seriously that's all the training you need.
wormser
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 984
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/29 03:21:50 (permalink)
kb420

My favorite music software programs are made in Germany and Sweden. :)

My favorite cars are from Germany and Sweden.

BMW and Saab.

Except for my USA made Vette and Mustang of course which sit in the garage because they are useless in even 1/2 inch of snow.

Windows 8 x64
Intel i7 950 3.06ghz 6 GB DDR3 1333(1066) OCZ memory
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v.2.0
Delta 66.
Seagate 1.0tb drives x4 OS, Audio, VST, Backup Stuff. 
Mackie MCU Pro Latest.
Faderport.
Sonar X2, PreSonus 2.x, Reaper.

wormser
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/29 03:32:58 (permalink)
@Crush...
You're really busting some chops around here, but I agree with you regarding Studio One. I too have been using it and I'll be dammed but it just works, is highly intuitive, looks nice, and is logical.
I haven't cracked the manual yet.
When in doubt, I just drag something, somewhere and it works.

I'm not a looper but a traditional musician weaned on the razor blade back when it's primary use in the studio was cutting tape....
I can't comment on that stuff, but for me, as a song writer, composer, engineer, whatever, Studio One doesn't get in the way of my work.

Obviously, Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo (my main software) have more features and glitz than Studio One, but how many people really use all these things?
With the exception of a score view which is a sore point for me, does all this extra fluff really add to my work flow?
In my case no it doesn't.

The most important thing for me is that what features a program does have, work well.
That's where Studio One hits the mark.
So does Reaper BTW.

The community is also very helpful and the developers hang out there as well.

Windows 8 x64
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v.2.0
Delta 66.
Mackie MCU Pro Latest.
Faderport.

mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/29 06:35:10 (permalink)
I'd really like to say what I think but I'm going to show self restraint and remain civil.

Crush - I wish you well. I think you'll find yourself in a very deep one, dug by your own hand. Having dug it as deep as you can perhaps it wont be too long before the moderators come along and look after your needs. You clearly have needs that only they can fully satisfy. 

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
ba_midi
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/29 15:16:17 (permalink)
But I've been using Presonus Studio One last night and today. Let me just say this. Any software vendor that should consider that software a serious, serious, threat to them and look to see what they are doing.

I also think Studio One is terrific and has a great future 'ahead'.  The audio engine is superb, as are many of its features.

But it still lags behind Sonar (8.5.3 or X1) in many areas.  They are not showstoppers, but it would be nice to have them in Studio One.

I won't go into a list here (as to what I think Sonar excels at and has that Studio One doesn't - and I won't list what S1 has that X1 doesn't at this time).

But I will say again and again - if X1(b c or whatever) gets things back where I can use it all the time, I'll be very happy to continue to be a cheerleader/supporter/customer for Cakewalk.

I don't think Sonar's audio engine is on par with other hosts at this time, but it's not a showstopper either.   The features in Sonar are mature - and they do increase worfklow.

S1 is a serious competitor now, so maybe this has lit a fire under CW to get crankin' more.

I AM hoping for X1b to allow me to work daily in Sonar and then use S1 for mixing/mastering.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
windsurfer25x
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/29 16:17:28 (permalink)
Given all that has been happening lately I've taken it upon myself to actually look at what other DAWs offer. I don't plan on abandoning Sonar at all, but am open to the possibility of using a secondary DAW to compliment Sonar's feature set.

I definitely plan on using Sonar for my creative and compositional work. But have been watching some videos on Cubase, Studio One, Ableton Live, Pro Tools 9 and it looks like there are some great features in some of these. I did buy go with the 20.11 deal for Studio One Artist, I haven't downloaded it yet though. 

The local music store owner has recommended I get Pro Tools 9 for a number of reasons, and that it has been extremely popular around here. I think it would be good to have just for the sake of being familiar with the program and that others are familiar with it. I've heard that it's very good at working with just audio.

I like some of the things in Studio One too... the mastering/project view and the redbook authoring included sounds interesting and just the way some things are laid out and implemented as well as the solid audio engine.

Anyways... some of the things I would like an additional DAW to do would be to excel in working with audio, as well as have a greater feature set for working with video than Sonar currently has... for producing audio for video - soundtrack stuff as well as possibly voice over... I'm not looking for anything like Nuendo or Pro Tools 9 Complete Production Kit 2. (Don't have that kind of money for that) Anyways... at this point, I'm considering Studio One and Pro Tools 9... Any suggestions?

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

Crush
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/30 03:47:24 (permalink)
Well tonight I was very happy. I just arranged a whole track in Studio One. No manuals needed. It's very very logical software.

It's been a huge step up from FL studio. HUGE step up. And I was able to use re-wire successfully with FL for a sound.

I can't tell you how happy I am to record in loops and have everything snap. Everything just snaps so logical. I like using the 'Quantize 50%' and 'Humanize'. It's very electronic music friendly for my loop purposes. It's not illogical like FL/Cubase/Sonar/Ableton.

I'm using 64 bit resolution, 32 bit, 48hz project. I have about 12 vst's all running fine with no issues or slow downs.

I cannot use Cubase X1 becuase it's pretty much broken with the loop and snap so for me I've boycotted it until the snap is fixed. I can't sell it used because I feel unethical selling something broken.
ba_midi
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/30 05:08:01 (permalink)
I guess I'm a skeptic.  If a "store" wants me to buy something, I have to ask myself if the person knows what they're talking about (ever been to a Radio Shack? LOL) -- or if they've been given marching orders to sell something.

I listen to what other users have to say - and they, too, have to establish some credibility beyond just an "opinion".

But I do think we've now entered a very different "DAW world".   It is DAW 2.0, but maybe not the way CW presented it.

I'm not giving up on Sonar at all.  I REALLY do like Studio One... but if CW makes the kind of "get it right" committment we all want them to have, they will be hard to beat.  Maybe not today anymore.  Maybe not even tomorrow.

But the programmers are certainly skilled.  And I think it's apparent ( at least to me) that they got the message.

As musicians we're always confronted with challenges and self-improvement necessities.  So are programmers.  No one can deny that Sonar is a powerful, major DAW and has given us all IMMENSE tools to do what we do as musicians.

But sometimes the challenges are daunting.  This is probably a good time for some introspection and re-evaluating -- and maybe even breaking out of comfort zones.

I'm rooting for them (CW) even when (some of them) don't think I am.   I just want to have the best tools I can to do what I do (make music) and I KNOW they have the skills to provide that.

So regardless of anything that's gone down since the release of X1, I still am a supporter.   I suspect those of us here - even the ones we think are abrasive about it - are.

Let's hope that THEY (CW) are supporters of US too ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/30 11:01:46 (permalink)
Crush

Well tonight I was very happy. I just arranged a whole track in Studio One. No manuals needed. It's very very logical software.

It's been a huge step up from FL studio. HUGE step up. And I was able to use re-wire successfully with FL for a sound.

I can't tell you how happy I am to record in loops and have everything snap. Everything just snaps so logical. I like using the 'Quantize 50%' and 'Humanize'. It's very electronic music friendly for my loop purposes. It's not illogical like FL/Cubase/Sonar/Ableton.

I'm using 64 bit resolution, 32 bit, 48hz project. I have about 12 vst's all running fine with no issues or slow downs.

I cannot use Cubase X1 becuase it's pretty much broken with the loop and snap so for me I've boycotted it until the snap is fixed. I can't sell it used because I feel unethical selling something broken.

Crush, I'm happy you had a good time with Studio One and I am sure your track turned out killer! Good for you.

but... truly sorry, I don't really understand what you mean by this. And maybe it's a good idea to re-learn some names;)

Couldn't resist ha ha, sorry.

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
kubalibre
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 614
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/30 12:05:25 (permalink)
BEATZM1D10T

Most of the great American achievements in the past 100 years have been because of German Scientists. The atom bomb, the flying wing, moon landings, and our highway system have all been due to the achievements of German engineers. What is wrong with mL markings on a cup? Do you know ASIO is a German design? There's a reason why German cars are usually the safest on the road too. Again, you're beating the same dead horse that SONAR is being outsourced to the 3rd word. You're simply wrong.

Those beer purity laws are not crazy. They are there for a reason. The shape/size/volume/pour of the glass impacts the beer taste. The Germans take beer very seriously and most Americans simply do not have the knowledge to understand the finer characteristics and complexities of a good brew. It's akin to telling a Frenchman all sparkling wine is champagne. 

I agree. 100%

Also I want to add I am German so I can confirm, we have the safest cars, purest beer, and best programmers!
America has better sports, more expensive music videos, tastier hamburgers and bigger election budgets .-)

---------------------------------------------
all crash on the louspeaker
Supercomposer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/30 12:09:29 (permalink)
Crush

Cubase X1 
So, Steinberg/Yamaha finally bought Cakewalk? I knew that would happen.

ME is the Supercomposer, and all your base are belong to us (Yes, I mean Germany)

System Spec: CPU 2x X7560 Xeon 16-Core, 48 GIG Ram Kingston, Intel with Supermicro Workstation MP Boards, RME HDSPe, PNY Quadro 6000
Crush
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/30 14:12:45 (permalink)
Anyone reading this should look at this video and you'll see what I'm talking about. You'll just how fast you can push a song out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSgBy6n9le4
wormser
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/30 14:30:33 (permalink)
There is no question that Sonar has more features than S1, nor that Cubase has a better Score Editor than Sonar or that Protools is the "defacto standard" or that Samplitude sounds better <only joking on that last one :) >.....

See where I'm going with this?

There is no perfect program.
None.
They all have bugs, deficiencies, quirks, advantages and disadvantages.
And in reading these threads, it's amazing to see how differently people approach their work flow.
Now that's where it gets interesting because getting bit by bugs, having to use too much time trying to do a particular function and so forth is all dependent upon work flow and what features are or are not important to the user.

For example, I don't use audio snap  so I will never see the bugs in that feature.
I do use a score editor to print out parts though so with S1 I use another score program.

It all boils down to work flow and what works or doesn't work for each of us.

I don't think there is a bad DAW program out there, except for maybe N-Track which seems to have a lot of bugs, at least last time I demo it.

Pick your poison and go for it.

Windows 8 x64
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v.2.0
Delta 66.
Mackie MCU Pro Latest.
Faderport.

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1