More guitar making stuff...

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/08/01 14:24:25 (permalink)
that would make an awesome veneer for a back-loaded body......

just sayin'

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/08/01 14:26:28 (permalink)
Yeah, Martin has a new D18 (??) with Sycamore back and sides.
I want to hear/play one.

RE router on table saw; If I get a table saw, I'd like to see that.  I suppose a chop saw is not in the same league as a table saw.......
Michael
spacey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/08/01 16:08:26 (permalink)
MakeShift
You can also make a router table pretty inexpensively by adding on a birch plywood extension to a typical table saw. I did that to my Craftsman table saw and just mounted the router to the ply extension, upside down. This way you can still use the fence and accessories that come with the table saw as well.

Mike I thought I should add (for those that may not know and care) and for you, in case you didn't catch it, that there is a major issue that this cheap box for routering a truss-rod channel addresses.

The process of using a router table means that the neck wood has to have a straight edge that is parallel to the center-line so it can ride against the fence while being fed into the router blade.
That means if you have a nice piece of neck wood that doesn't have a straight edge and can't use a router table/fence then whatcha gonna do?

With this cheap box the neck wood edges don't matter. I currently have two very nice flame maple pieces that can now become necks. Neither of which has straight edges nor edges that can be made to be straight and parallel to the center-line. For a few dimes I will gain two flame maple necks that otherwise would have been scrap.

I guess there may be pro's and con's with all methods- depending on the person but the great thing about this box is that it addresses an issue. A specific beneficial reason for having one IF you build necks and it's cheap and easy to build.

(my table saw has a router mount.....I've never used it...I had a friend that had an old ShopSmith...lol and I never liked it either)
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1