More guitar making stuff...

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
spacey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/16 10:38:59 (permalink)
Mike- I've never had a problem with using a little block of wood and a hammer to install them but I've always wished I had a better way to remove them. Now if I blow the steps it's all on me because there's nothing wrong with the tool. It is vise grips on steroids Craig lol. The locking part of grips I use as a pressure limit...not sure if that's why they designed it with locks.

57Gregy
I really like the inlayed wooden pickguard. I'm surprised no one else has done it.
Great work, as always.

Thank you Greg.
The only reason I posted this build at a luthiers forum is because it was intentionally being built for me. I don't post other projects there. I was surprised too by the reactions. I had never considered it as an original idea and still don't- how would I know? Really don't care about that part anyway- just wanted to do it and just others are liking it. I really enjoy seeing what others are doing with it now.

After coming home from the hospital a few days ago I learned that a good friend - we ride our Harleys together often and he's the only local that I've built a guitar for- had lost his nightclub: his wife left him: crashed his HOG on a ride to visit his brother ( an excellent drummer that has played with many "famous bands")  -both the bike and himself left with mostly road rash: and his dog was run over...I'm sure glad we get to spend this evening in my shop checking out this new build together. Life's a trip.
spacey
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/17 14:42:46 (permalink)

Total weight without strings.

Just finished setting it up. I'll watch the neck for a few days ( and I don't expect it move) and let the new owner know it's good to go.

Last build I'll be posting here. Glad there were a few that enjoyed it.
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/17 15:18:59 (permalink)
Can we see a pic with the whole guitar please?
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/17 17:09:04 (permalink)
Leadfoot

What he meant to say is: "Can we all have a clone of the whole guitar please?" 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
spacey
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/17 17:20:02 (permalink)
Here ya go Bob.

Best I could do inside- wanted to get a shot outside but raining.

I got glass today so I'll finish the case too and be all done. It was a fun project with so many new things for me to work out.

The vintage amber tinted birdseye "pickguard" and fretboard tied together as I was hoping and absolutely beautiful.
Pictures seem to miss but that's my fault.

spacey
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/17 17:22:06 (permalink)
craigb
Leadfoot

What he meant to say is: "Can we all have a clone of the whole guitar please?" 

I want one too! LOL. I hate to give a report on the playing and sounds since I built it but that drummer just may want to learn how to play guitar when he gets his hands on it. That would be cool.
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/17 17:27:45 (permalink)
clips!clips!clips!

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/17 21:06:33 (permalink)
Gorgeous, Michael.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Leadfoot
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/17 21:19:56 (permalink)
Stunning job Spacey! Thanks for the pics! The flame on that headstock is so beautiful. You make me want to build one, but I know it would end up being crap, and better suited as kindling. Man, you truly are an artist. Thank you so much for letting us share this process with you.
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/18 09:57:37 (permalink)
Cool!

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/18 12:26:37 (permalink)
Lucky drummer is all I can say, would have been an experience to learn on a hand made Spacey guitar.

Been a real treat watching and reading about this build Space thanks for sharing, again.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
Psalmist35
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1471
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/18 12:34:05 (permalink)
Michael,
This turned out really nice!  Awesome job.  I know you are feeling a great deal of satisfaction having completed this.

Congrats!

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/18 13:17:00 (permalink)
As Bob and Doug would say:  Beauty, eh!

Tres fab, ol pal.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/19 09:53:10 (permalink)
I'm back and hope you are doing very well! Certainly your guitar is! LOL Wow! That is some great work and wood!
I wasn't thinking about putting glass doors on my "frames", but now that I see yours, I am thinking it's a great idea!
Michael
spacey
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/19 11:28:55 (permalink)
Thank you all very much.

After spending time evaluating the guitar and my craftsmanship:

The guitar plays and sounds like a Fender except there is a little line noise in 2 and 4 position due to the middle pickup- I didn't RWRP so in those positions the neck +middle and bridge +middle do not function like a HB. The little bit of noise, and I do mean little- it's well worth the tonal difference to me. Even so it's still not as Leo designed- it's wired with one tone so there is tone control for bridge. Along with the treble bleed it's all that I had hoped for. ( I sure recommend the treble bleed. Helps keep those pups clear when lowering the volume- if you notice yours getting muddy from to many highs being sent to ground.)

Craftsmanship:  Sucks. I have excuses but they are only that. The flaws probably aren't apparent to most but when one looks very closely...it sucks.
Wood preparation could have been much better. There are very small areas here and there where pores weren't completely filled and even some fine sanding marks. Both just unacceptable. It doesn't matter that it's my first nitro spray finish job...I'm talking wood prep and I honestly believe it is a result from prepping the wood while dealing with health/hospital trips...having the project helped me mentally and physically but the guitar suffered too.
Working with Birdseye for the first time and the finish results have taught me a lot and what to really scope in on.
I can say the same about the Ash. The real hurt was blown prep with the Flame Maple- I've worked it numerous times.
I've never read any writings that didn't mention wood prep as being so very important. My wife says I'm to picky but she doesn't look at details to the level that I do as I expect many of us do...which is understandable.  I say it can't have any flaws so I need to up my game. After all, it's either right or it's not.
Wood prep is the only thing that prevents this guitar from being the best I've done...what a bummer to have blown it. A finish will show imperfections and the trick is to learn to see them before applying the finish...I blew it.

I'm not good with a camera anymore but I'll try to get up close with examples.

As for the display case: Some may think of it as a display case to display. I don't. It keeps the guitar safe and the case can be in a controlled environment. It can be enjoyed visibly with easy access and the guitar is kept clean unlike those I have in guitar stands. If my wife would let me I'd have all the guitars I keep handy in them covering the den walls. There is just no better way IMO and if I manage to design the right case to hold about 7/8 of them she just might approve. Geeze...now I have to learn how to build furniture grade cabinets! Not sure how that's going to turn out. That is something laughed about at the Luthier forum....their wives believe that since they can build a guitar they can remodel the kitchen lol.

Well I've ordered more wood...I have to build another one just like it for me...again. LOL.

Leadfoot
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/19 14:36:01 (permalink)
You're right, Space. Terrible. Totally unacceptable. I think you should just give that one to me and start over.
pentimentosound
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/19 15:00:36 (permalink)
@ Leadfoot     If he starts that until he is happy with them, we all might get one! LOL
spacey   It's the journey not the goal. This is a guitar along your path to greatness.

Michael
spacey
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/19 18:30:39 (permalink)
LOL...thank you both.

And I couldn't agree more- it is about the journey...and the results tell a lot about not only where you've been but hopefully point one in the right direction to proceed.
I've shared projects here in the past mainly because when I started there were others building so my view was that it was a shared learning. I enjoyed sharing them but found myself alone here. More of "look what I can do" and that's not a road I care to be on.

So in ending this build these are the failures- one of the lessons this build has taught "wood prep".

A few areas around the inlay- sloppy fit and fill.

Back of head that didn't have all little marks sanded out. The second looks like a little bird...and I don't know if it's in the wood or the finish.

Head transition to neck- left small pits - bad sanding/prep.

Heel of neck to body- small circle scratch and sanding marks. Notice the pores in the body not filled.

2 small indents on the side of fretboard.  There are also 3 like this on the fretboard - the Birdseye wasn't sanded and filled correctly.

I used the cheapest machines and bridge on this guitar than any before. (vintage Fender) I used my pups rather than spending for Duncans/Fralins/DiMarzio etc. and if I'd been in the game and done the wood prep correctly it would have been the best guitar I've built.
I'd like to overlook the failures but I have to realize facts so I can improve. That's the way with all the many steps it takes to make one.
Total build cost: Under $450.00

Again- My thanks to all that shared this with me.

pentimentosound
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/19 19:21:57 (permalink)
The thanks go to you for sharing with us who aren't building yet or at the moment or only wishing...
It is quite inspiring to see your results, regardless of your particular disappointments. I won't be building anything for a bit, but I might do some mods to a few of mine. I really want to finish up the 3 CDs I've started, first! LOL
Michael
henkejs
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/19 21:50:46 (permalink)
spacey
I've shared projects here in the past mainly because when I started there were others building so my view was that it was a shared learning. I enjoyed sharing them but found myself alone here. More of "look what I can do" and that's not a road I care to be on.

Speaking as someone who would like to be able to do what you'e doing, but probably never will, I never felt like you were showing off for the rest of us. We're just glad to come along on the journey.

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
spacey
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/29 18:55:48 (permalink)
Sorry John...I've been very busy and appreciate your kind words- thank you.

Thank you Michael. Well the disappointments are a good kick in the butt to help motivate me to improve. Always something new to learn. Maybe some day I'll build one that doesn't have one single little thing that bothers me...maybe.

( now I'm on hold again waiting for parts and wood to arrive)

I really didn't want to let this one go but I thought I could always build another one....so I started one but this time I'm going to use Alder for the body.

I'm going to use the same vintage style hardware and the same modified wiring as the Ash one - I'm waiting on a beautiful flame maple board and thinking about doing a 3-piece laminated neck...if I do I'll post more about it.
I'll also include a new jig I made- I was wondering how folks without a table router would handle a neck so I had an idea to make a cheap jig that would make some of the process kind of simple.

This is my first build using Alder. I like it. Very nice wood to work. I still have a lot of sanding to do but here is how it is now.

The control cover will be flush when done. Still need to fine tune the hole in trem cover....lots of work left to do.

As with the Ash one this too has a two piece Birdseye "pickguard" but I think match-up pretty good. You can see the joint about 1" in below pup cavities.

Leadfoot
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/30 07:37:52 (permalink)
That's looking great so far Spacey.
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
2014/07/30 07:45:51 (permalink)

post edited by mister happy - 2018/02/26 13:26:16

spacey
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/30 09:50:56 (permalink)
Thank you Bob and Mike.

What a great idea Mike- when I gas it just keep going and make it a "relic"! - I guess it's just natural for a guitarist to fret over the small stuff.
I'm not alone though and somehow don't find any comfort in that. The Texas luthier that loved the inlay idea pointed out his disappointment too: showing how it makes one cringe when the inlay fit isn't perfect and hard to make some things appear to be "relic" rather than "goofs" lol.  - I still like the way his looks.

Thought I'd share this neck routering box. I don't know if it's "original" or not and don't care- one may find it on youtube, I don't know.

I just wondered what one could do very cheaply if they didn't have a router table.

A bit for those that may want to mess around trying to make a Fender Strat or Tele style neck:

I won't bore with the details but this a cheap way to mess around learning about building or it is great for serious attempts at building a neck...it's simply an alternative to using a router table to make a truss-rod channel.
( I was asked if I had a router table...thought I'd show that one doesn't have to have one to build a guitar.)

The basics; the router rides against one side-rail ( you can see in photo -arrow marked which rail ) and the router bit center is marked on the box (along with a channel stop) to align the neck center-line to.
The "stop block" that also looks like a support has writing on it- It is a note that it is 3 1/8" to edge of bit on my router/bit for setting the end of the truss-rod channel. Pretty simple really.
I haven't used it yet but no doubt it'll work just fine.

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/30 11:40:30 (permalink)
I love that embedded pic guard idea!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/30 13:43:02 (permalink)
i see all of those 'flaws' in the build, as the very things that make it personal, hand made, worthy of 'a story', and give it character.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

spacey
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/30 14:04:05 (permalink)
craigb
I love that embedded pic guard idea!

I do to Craig.
It's not that I have anything against plastic, it's just something that offers new ideas. Using different woods that have very cool grains and combinations of. A new fun challenge.

batsbrew
i see all of those 'flaws' in the build, as the very things that make it personal, hand made, worthy of 'a story', and give it character.

That is a cool outlook Bat.
I'd hate to think that I'm trying to achieve "perfection". I really believe it's just recognizing little things so they inspire me to be better, not perfect but to improve. Not really different to me than playing one. I listen to my recordings and hear things I don't like and things I do.
I read Eric Johnson stating that he was trying to not be so critical about every little thing he plays and not let his "perfectionist" attitude be so bad for his creativity. ( looking for his new release with Mike Stern...three days of them together in a studio...Eric saying it's "baby steps" to help him change LOL)

pentimentosound
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/07/31 08:52:41 (permalink)
Well, now that I can sign back in!!!..... the alder one looks great. Good luck with that one! Looking forward to seeing it.

I need to figure out what my Fender Zone MIM's body is, as I have been plotting to have it refinished. It's a sienna-burst, but I think it is really nice grain and would look much better (sound better, too? I suppose), either honeyburst or stained one color.

I laughed at Mike's "relic"! Good one!
The neck jig is a great idea, though I look at table saws and router tables when we stop at garage sales, or "home improvement places". I've never owned much in the way of power tools, just drills and skill saws, etc.
Michael

michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/08/01 12:46:58 (permalink)
You can also make a router table pretty inexpensively by adding on a birch plywood extension to a typical table saw. I did that to my Craftsman table saw and just mounted the router to the ply extension, upside down. This way you can still use the fence and accessories that come with the table saw as well.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
spacey
Re: More guitar making stuff... 2014/08/01 13:47:58 (permalink)
Good to have different ways to do something.

One of the guys I purchase wood from, which I purchased the Flame Maple board I mentioned, usually sends a "gift" piece. It's cool something like Sweetwater sending candy LOL but I prefer wood ...

The inlay idea has given me many ideas because of the grain patterns in wood. I haven't worked with the freeby type he sent.
I've read that characteristics of Sycamore is like between Mahogany and Maple. I know that it is sure going to make some nice "pickguard" inlays and cavity covers. Quartersawn and here's what it looks like...just amazing.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1