OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/03 14:38:34 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
Kewl.

Bob Bone

Bob, 
oopps sorry I meant that for the Mac ….I should swap out and see what happens 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

kennywtelejazz
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/03 14:55:07 (permalink)
Anderton
Although Cakewalk hates it when I say this, if all else fails, Sonar runs very well under Boot Camp   Cakewalk doesn't support this because they don't have the resources to help people troubleshoot problems with Mac desktops running DAW software but Sonar even works under Parallels.

Hello Craig ,
Yes , I'm actually looking forward to the day when I can try that approach out . Your suggestion may turn out to be the most effective thing I could possibly do . to pull that off , all I have to do is pick up a larger 7200 HD and a copy of W 7 … 
I sure could of saved myself a whole lot of money and frustration if I went there first ...isn't hindsight something else 

since Cakewalk is non suported on Boot Camp  I'm gonna tread very lightly with this question … 
is the environment totally Win such as having to use ASIO and do I loose any of the Core Audio versitility ... 

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2014/09/03 15:06:38

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

kennywtelejazz
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/03 16:18:25 (permalink)
Sidroe
I'm running X3 on a Toshiba laptop, Windows 8, with 16 gigs of RAM, with a ton of plugs and vst instruments. It also has a secondary drive. I have to mention that both drives are 5400s.  When I record and mix everythings in the box. This is my mobile recording rig. When performing live I use an old Focusrite Saffire USB just for outs to the house. Of course, just playing projects I can juice up the buffer pretty high so no problems there. If I am recording live in a group situation, sometimes as many as 24 tracks live at once,( I do quite a bit of gospel choir recording), I use 2 Roland Studio-Capture 1610s synced together for 32 ins and 20 outs. I can usually with smaller projects get around the 128 sample area. The larger projects usually hover around the 256 mark. If I use the Saffire for recording, the buffer usually starts around 128 and gets bumped up to 256.  If it's turning into a sizeable production, 512 is the norm. Needless to say, the Studio-Captures are usually the ticket for recording.
I have an older Asus quad desktop that had been my main workstation for a few years. The desktop has virtually replaced it. I did some of the suggested tweaks for better audio performance in Windows 7 on the Asus. The first day or two the computer acted kind of strange. As if it was getting used to the new setup. After the first day, it was blazing away like a Ferrari! It still is not the computer the Toshiba is but tweaking it DID help. I have seen so many posts that say it's not necessary to tweak a computer anymore after the advent of Windows 7 and 8. I can attest to the fact that, IN MY CASE, it absolutely made a difference.
 Again, I have been very lucky with my computer choices. I have always bought off the shelf computers and cleaned out all the bloatware and such. By the time I got done cleaning and tweaking, I have ended up with some very reliable rigs. It can be done.
Now the troubles I have faced has always been due to a plugin that just is not happy working with X3. I don't use anything with a dongle! I guess I have Big Brother Syndrome. I test all the plugs until I find the culprit. When the plug is found I eliminate it completely. Usually I have something else I can use and if not I will find a newer or better plug, give it a trial run and if all is good I get it.
I feel your pain. I am not here looking down my nose saying you should have bought that 18 core Intel with 5,256 gigs of RAM. When I first started out in computer recording I started with out with a custom built machine that was supposed to be Abbey Road in a box! It was soon replaced by an off the shelf HP full of bloatware and minimum memory. Don't get me wrong!! There a lot of great builders out there and some right here on this forum. Maybe you could try contacting them. Jim Roseberry comes to mind.                                                                              I have recorded on systems that you could launch a rocket to Mars on and I have recorded on rigs that were no better than a word processor. If you spend the time to tweak a little and find and stick with the plugins you know work well for you, you can work comfortably and reliably.
I know this got long winded here but I thought maybe sharing my experiences could help. I wish you luck and I wish I had THE answer for you. Unfortunately, the bottom line is to find out the settings for your rig that run best for you. I can attest to the fact that no two machines run the same. Even if it is the same make and model! 

Hi Sidroe , 
you and I sure both have a lot in common ,
if we ever decided to join forces and write a paperback together it would be the size of a Big City phone book 
I honestly do say that with Love  I did find your post to be an interesting read .
You certainly can serve as a strong power of example of what can be done with a lap top when it is set up right .
Having the right hardware to go with it seems to carry a lot of weight .
I'm very impressed that you are in a position to record and have such versatile options while working in the type of musical environments you have mentioned …I can only picture it in my mind and your post actually brought me back in time ...
as a guitar player I did a little stint in the gospel genre and it turned out to be one of the most rewarding musical things I ever did as a sideman …
i worked a little over a year playing my guitar for Andrae Crouch over at his church on Vaughn street ..
this was in the early 2000's . it sure was a mind blowing experience and I got to play with every body

I'm not having any problems with SONAR or any of my plugins .
I think I might need to clean out some of the bloatware that I still left on there …
maybe you could suggest to me a good place to start...
my current needs are pretty simple …
I record at home alone …usually one track a time with the only musician a can afford ..lol
thanks for your post 

Kenny

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/03 17:24:12 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
Anderton
Although Cakewalk hates it when I say this, if all else fails, Sonar runs very well under Boot Camp   Cakewalk doesn't support this because they don't have the resources to help people troubleshoot problems with Mac desktops running DAW software but Sonar even works under Parallels.

Hello Craig ,
Yes , I'm actually looking forward to the day when I can try that approach out . Your suggestion may turn out to be the most effective thing I could possibly do . to pull that off , all I have to do is pick up a larger 7200 HD and a copy of W 7 … 
I sure could of saved myself a whole lot of money and frustration if I went there first ...isn't hindsight something else 

since Cakewalk is non suported on Boot Camp  I'm gonna tread very lightly with this question … 
is the environment totally Win such as having to use ASIO and do I loose any of the Core Audio versitility ... 

Kenny

Bootcamp is a way to run Windows on Mac hardware. When you use it to run Windows, there is no way to tell it is a Mac at all on the software side. You need a copy of Windows because that is what you'll be running, so yes there is ASIO and yes you lose all of the Core Audio versatility because it's not there - you're in Windows. I think Craig was merely suggesting that Mac laptops generally have decent hardware and a non-****ed BIOS/EFI for music production, so if you run bootcamp/Windows/Sonar on one, your results might be better. Honestly, while it will probably get you better results than you're having now, I still think Mac hardware is too expensive and it seems really weird to pay extra for an Apple and then NOT use the one thing that MAKES it Apple - OSX.
kennywtelejazz
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/03 17:51:51 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
Kewl.

Bob Bone

OK Bob , I did find a few things that I changed ...
under advanced power options I found the hard disk option , so it is now set to never on battery and plugged in .
apparently I had to set this in all the available  power plans …then I created my own custom power plan and set it to that 
I found out that this things preferences  was set to give priority to back round services  which I changed ...
on a hunch I decided to throw caution to the wind and open up a X3 project , while I was in there I pulled up my preferences in both X3 and the Focusrite panel …set them to 128 ..took a deep breath hit apply and crossed my fingers….
apparently many of the suggested changes have added up …
X3 played the project of 10 audio tracks w no plugs w out so much as a hiccup ….
now I know thats not a lot of tracks , but I figure thats what I had in that project and at an ASIO setting of 128 I was able to record my guitar in real time at a more usable latency ...
next I took a guitar amp sim that I had to set to 512  before the changes and played with that in stand alone mode for about a half hour ….seems fine didn't notice any problems ...
so far things have added up to a big improvement 

Kewl is back on the menu

Kenny 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/03 18:42:31 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
kennywtelejazz
Anderton

Hello Craig ,

Kenny

Bootcamp is a way to run Windows on Mac hardware. When you use it to run Windows, there is no way to tell it is a Mac at all on the software side. You need a copy of Windows because that is what you'll be running, so yes there is ASIO and yes you lose all of the Core Audio versatility because it's not there - you're in Windows. I think Craig was merely suggesting that Mac laptops generally have decent hardware and a non-****ed BIOS/EFI for music production, so if you run bootcamp/Windows/Sonar on one, your results might be better. Honestly, while it will probably get you better results than you're having now, I still think Mac hardware is too expensive and it seems really weird to pay extra for an Apple and then NOT use the one thing that MAKES it Apple - OSX.

Sure Sanderxpander ,

I understand fully what you are saying . I figured that may of been the case 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/03 21:50:08 (permalink)
One of the links here was recommending turning off UAC. Not a good idea and won't improve performance.

In regards to background services being a priority there are schools of thought here, I tend to side with Noel's opinion here:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/1239881

If you've been updating the mix control versions (I assume you have the latest version and there's nothing later than the beta you installed) a full reset can often do wonders esp after installing betas. That is uninstall mix control, reboot, install latest mix control, and do a complete hardware reset on the interface itself.

Getting latest chip set and drivers from intel auto update website is recommended as well (assuming it is Intel, otherwise research AMD's site, not sure about macs!).

Ta...

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
kennywtelejazz
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/03 22:22:15 (permalink)
Anderton
+2 on NOT using a hub (even a powered one) with an audio interface. Use the hub for everything else. FWIW I've had no problems (so far) with USB 2 devices connected to a USB 3 port. In fact one interface which was flaky with USB 2 said never to use it with USB 3. But I tried it anyway and it actually worked perfectly with USB 3 where it hadn't with USB 2.

One more thing - you should not have to restart your computer if the USB interface goes away. Unplug it, wait a few seconds, and plug back in. Sonar will say the device is disconnected and ask if you want to reconnect it.

Robert is totally right about laptops not defaulting to music. In fact they default to the worst possible environment for music. This article has some useful tips. This one is similar but a little shorter. 

It's really too bad that you have to jump through all these hoops with Windows and external hardware just to be able to run a program on it. The one consolation I can provide is that once you get things working, they tend to stay working. It's a beautiful thing when you don't have to think about this crap and just make music. and you will get there eventually...

Hello Craig , you wrote some very excellent articles there   after reading  them, I can see there are a couple of more things that I can do …lots of very good ideas  that you have backed up through your own personal experience 
i don't really need the camera and a few other points you mentioned concerning shutting off unneeded resource hogs via the device manager ..a lot of good food for thought 
thank you 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/03 22:35:17 (permalink)
cvc
post edited by sock monkey - 2014/09/04 23:58:15

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/03 23:07:15 (permalink)
I take time to listen to my system with music from online radio stations. I grew up in Dayton, Ohio and I always listened to WTUE so I go to their site and listen from time to time. I also listen to CDs.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
kennywtelejazz
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/04 00:09:50 (permalink)
azslow3
EDIT: I was typing too slow (as usual, see my nick)

kennywtelejazz
Last year I picked up a brand new  lap top , Win 8 64bit OS ( lower middle of the road spec $500 range )  
Yeah , I know C….be grateful you don't have to go there ever again …but I do  it's the best I can do for now ... 

That should be fine till you see your processor consumption is hi (too many synths, effects and so on).

For a sound card I went with a Focusrite 2i4 since a few folks here recommended it and it fell into a price range I could swing ...

This one works with whatever you attached to it, at least from compatibility point of view.

using the beta driver in  ASIO the latency is still higher that what I find acceptable or useable 

May be it is better to specify concrete numbers you get, different people have different "acceptance".

is it typical for a usb sound card to stop working all together and require a computer restart once you close the lid on your laptop?
I have also noticed that if the cable from the usb port got moved slightly in a gentle fashion w out any signifacant pressure on the hub the sound card would also require a restart of the computer...

Already suggested switching off all power saving featured (in BIOS and OS, including dynamic CPU frequency) is very good idea (you can try to switch in back one by one once everything is working fine).

Try to avoid USB hub between the interface and the computer. While USB is designed with predictable latency/throughput in mind, real implementations (in comp., in the interface and in the hub) are usually bad.

USB devices have longer "route" when your computer comes back after sleep. It is better to stop SONAR and wait a bit till ASIO is also unloaded before pushing the sleep button. In all cases, reconnecting 2i4 should return it to the working state (again, with ASIO unloaded first). Otherwise you can try to play with "USB power during sleep" settings (if your laptop has some).

…I loop the section I want to comp over and after 5 loops my Audio engine in X3 dies on me and everything stops is 6 gigs of ram just too light ? could it be something else ? my buffers were set to 512 / ASIO.

512 is in fact conservative. Even for very bad system. But...
After a while when you do not touch keyboard/mouse, Windows think you are not working. It can start power saving and/or service tasks. It is normally good to switch network during sessions and periodically leave Windows running with network connected. Fighting and killing all background activity is hard.
Also check with "HD Tune" (free version is ok) that your disk has no significant "drops" in performance.

normally I do the whole run as administrator for the app and open what I want to work on once the program opens ..
today I saw the rendered mix in the explorer list and decided to double tap the file to open it up ...
the next thing that happened really pissed me off ….

Running with explorer opens SONAR with user privileges. Many plug-ins detect that and ask for registration. Running once under Admin and once under User normally solves that problem (till your system get significant Windows update... like Windows 8.1).

hello azslow3 , I'm gonna do my best here …

I haven't mastered the art of multi quoting …I'm pretty much gonna try to work my way down the list .

I sat it out since SONAR 6 ..admittedly thats a pretty long time …
my whole musical focus has always been I'm a guitar player first. Every time I started saving up for a new computer I wound up buying a new guitar or amp instead 

i feel this lap top is OK enough to give me a chance to catch up to the latest version of SONAR ..

I'm not looking to slam the 2i4 at all …it sounds very decent for a low end usb card
with the added out puts it might turn out to be an extremely versatile little card after all 
most of the issues i was having were hardware settings on the lap top that needed to be changed ...

regarding the ASIO buffer size and latency issues I was experiencing …..
when I started this thread , they were set at 512 …round trip added up to 48 or something ms

after following as many suggestions as i could up to this point
I have the ASIO buffers set to 128 …this happens to be a marked improvement …
currently the lap top is put away so I can't give you the exact round trip numbers ….might be around 12 ms ?

as far as what i consider acceptable ….
my timing is very important to me it and it is something that I have spent many years of my playing working on  …..
even a round trip latency of 10 ms can be somewhat of a distraction  ...
the current latency is certainly usable ….it's not like I dropped 10 grand on this rig ….I got what I paid for 

when time permits i will look into a few of the other things you have suggested 

thank you very much for sharing your points of view to help me out . I certainly appreciate it 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/04 00:42:57 (permalink)
Sound travels 1 foot per millisecond. Just pretend you're on stage, and the amp is 10 feet behind you

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
kennywtelejazz
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/04 08:29:16 (permalink)
Anderton
Sound travels 1 foot per millisecond. Just pretend you're on stage, and the amp is 10 feet behind you

that happens to be a very good way of looking at it  all it would involve is a simple change of perception on my part 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/04 08:32:52 (permalink)
Kenny, thanks for the response. I have been playing guitar for 50 years and piano for 56 years this year. Guitar was self taught. The piano was classical training by a tutor. I started working for Capricorn Records in the late 60s, early 70s as a session player. Although Macon has the rep as the cradle of Southern Rock, I learned my chops from Clapton, Beck, Page, etc. My first influence was Herb Ellis when I was a child. I use to watch him on the Merv Griffin Show. BOY! I am old.
My point is I have been fortunate to work in blues, rock, gospel, jazz (which is my first love),country and classical. Sonar and the vst instruments I have chosen have delivered every time for me, no matter what genre I have to work in. It has been a long road learning computer recording when you have grown up in the tape world.
I started computer recording seriously in 1998. Now I have some pretty well known producers that call me from time to time to pick MY brain about bugs in their systems and how to do this or that. It makes me really happy to know that I came this far when I remember being afraid to touch the keyboard.
I just wanted to acknowledge the post and congratulate you on working with Andrea. What a set of pipes that guy has. And such a great and humble artist. Play On, my friend!

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/04 20:18:41 (permalink)
Kenny, a quick follow up. Here is a video on unparking cores done on a Win8 machine. He does a nice check in the beginning to let you see if parking it enabled or not - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrvDVZg6C58

As far as bloatware (since you bought this off-the-shelf), much can be disabled simply using "msconfig.exe" The "Startup" tab in that program lists things that are set to run on system startup. If not enabled you can still run them manually if needed, but they will not automatically load on boot. Be sure to research what is in that list before disabling (unchecking) things, as some processes may go to system utilities (touch pad, etc.) If in doubt, can post a screen cap of what is listed, or ask in the forum.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
kennywtelejazz
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/06 17:53:20 (permalink)
Hey guys ,
I'm still with you on following the sugestions that some of you have been put forth in this thread ... 
i would still like to get back to each and every one of you …if I haven't yet ..I'm not snubbing you ...
the past few days have involved me dealing with a few time sensitive non musical chores I just can't put off ..
vet visits / shots for the dog ……car repairs / regs…..emissions…
i've been chipping away taking care of what needs to be done in those areas …. 
my apologies if you offered me an answer / solution and I haven't acknowledged your contrubition yet ... 
leaving folks hanging in the breeze is not my style at all …I'm hoping to get back on track later this eve or tomorrow 

thank you for your patience , 
Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/07 19:03:29 (permalink)
Brando
BTW - Kenny - if you haven't yet measured your DPC latency - I recommend Latency Mon for Windows 8 rather than Thesycon's dpc latency checker - 

http://www.resplendence.com/download/LatencyMon.exe

hello Brando 
i used the app from your link ..thanks for that..
here's what the app shows …

if anybody notices any red flags please let me know 

thank you 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/07 19:11:46 (permalink)
sock monkey
There is this thread in the Hardware forum
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Need-help-again-interface-issue-m3081757.aspx

I would get the word from Focusrite support about the USB 3.0 ports. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere not to use them with Scarletts,  but it doesn't make sense to me as the 2i4 is buss powered and USB 3.0 is a more powerful output for this reason. 

I hate to say it but I have read a lot of threads with people having these issues with the 2i2 and 2i4. I think buss power is a bad idea. It's one reason I went with the 6i6 as it uses a wall wart. 

And defiantly check that laptop out with a DPCLAT utility... that is #1 with laptops. Some laptops are just plain un usable because of the bios settings you can't even change. 

Hello sock monkey, 
I gave that a read when you first posted it ..thanks for the link ..
the 2i4 is growing on me now that some of my issues are being addressed ….
I'm running it in the usb 2 port no hub...
well now that I know , my next usb inter face will probaly be wall powered ..this is how I learn 

thank you 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/07 19:23:24 (permalink)
I'm lost now  i've been trying to read a few posts to see who I left hanging ...
let me do something I can do …a few posters here have mentioned core parking ...
that's a new phrase to me ….oh boy you guys sure got me jumping through hoops ...
here's a couple of screen shots 

any red flags please let me know ….I'm thinking of disabling apple push ,
I don't have any devices that need syncing ..

Thanks guys, 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/08 12:49:35 (permalink)
Hi Kenny,

The screen shot you have of the CPUs doesn't look like core parking is enabled (which is preferred). If enabled, the graphs on the right will have CPUs reading things like "CPU 1 - Parked" if enabled.

The Apple Push would be one that could be disabled, as synching tasks can begin to function at the worse moments, and if you do not use it, disabling it will prevent this.

Bottom line: It seems like you have gotten things so they are functioning more smoothly so "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" applies. If you are tracking and suddenly things seems odd, another check you can do is open the resource monitor as in the first screenshot and click on the "CPU" column to order it in descending order (inverted triangle) to list the processes in descending CPU usage order. If some process is suddenly spiking that conflicts with what you are doing; it would be one to research to either lower its priority, or disable it altogether.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
kennywtelejazz
Re: OK folks , What can you do when you can't even trust your own rig ? 2014/09/08 19:39:13 (permalink)
mettelus
Hi Kenny,

The screen shot you have of the CPUs doesn't look like core parking is enabled (which is preferred). If enabled, the graphs on the right will have CPUs reading things like "CPU 1 - Parked" if enabled.

The Apple Push would be one that could be disabled, as synching tasks can begin to function at the worse moments, and if you do not use it, disabling it will prevent this.

Bottom line: It seems like you have gotten things so they are functioning more smoothly so "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" applies. If you are tracking and suddenly things seems odd, another check you can do is open the resource monitor as in the first screenshot and click on the "CPU" column to order it in descending order (inverted triangle) to list the processes in descending CPU usage order. If some process is suddenly spiking that conflicts with what you are doing; it would be one to research to either lower its priority, or disable it altogether.

Hi mettelus, 

thank you for taking the time to take a look at the screen shots and giving them the critique 

the video you posted help me out a lot …
I followed along with all of it and changed what I could in Windows except for the reg edits …
I'm not brave enough to do reg edits yet...

Apple Push is on the short list to get disabled . I don't even own any devices that require syncing... 

Yes , I agree with you on the ole " if it isn't broke , don't fix it " .
Things are functioning much more smoothly over here . thank you for your help   

this part of the post go's out to everybody that has helped me in this thread 

When I first started this thread I was very upset and frustrated .
I am very grateful to say that I no longer feel that way .
Now I'm feeling optimistic about this little rig and It honestly looks as if I can do the fresh start I was hoping to do.. 

Left to my own devices / resources I would have remained stuck were I had been for some time w the issues I was having with my little setup ….
I'm very happy that I asked for help here on the X forum . You guys really helped me out a lot ...

thank you 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1