Helpful ReplyWill Command Center support preferred installation destinations?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
kevinwhitect
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 376
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/01/31 12:06:26 (permalink)
Right clicking in C3 allows for the uninstall. It takes only a second to take it all out.

Visiting the download folder finds all the programs needed.

Clicking on the programs executes a manual, traditional, installation.

Folder destinations can be chosen as usual.
post edited by kevinwhitect - 2015/01/31 12:43:03

All my music is free for download at:  

KevinWhiteMusic.com

The Rig:
i7 950 Processor
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R V.2 Mobo
12G Corsair DDR3 RAM
OS Drive: Samsung 500G SSD
Program/Storage Drives: Samsung 500G SSD (x3)
Windows 10 Pro (Anniversary) x64
Layla 24/96 on ASIO Drivers
Sonar Platinum 

kevinwhitect
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/01/31 12:43:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2015/01/31 19:13:16
Reopening C3, it recognized the new installation, and installed the update flawlessly.

It's now working like a charm in the right folders. :)

KevinWhiteMusic.com

The Rig:
i7 950 Processor
12G Corsair DDR3 RAM
Sonar Platinum 

lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/01/31 13:42:55 (permalink)
A thread about this dialog from earlier:

http://forum.cakewalk.com...-install-m3154759.aspx

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
kevinwhitect
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/01/31 14:07:40 (permalink)
lawajava
A thread about this dialog from earlier:

http://forum.cakewalk.com...-install-m3154759.aspx

As John Braner said in that thread:

This should be a sticky ... and it should.

There is a difference, though, and my information augments what was said on that thread. When I go to my account and look at my products, there is no red download button that appears. I do not know why this happens. It might be browser related, but the only way I found to get the downloads was to navigate to the folder specified for downloads in C3. That is the alternative if no "red button" appears in your SSO account.

Meanwhile, I'm up and running and it's working flawlessly. I'm thrilled. I've still yet to play with all the features, but glad this minor hurdle was jumped.

I'm currently looking for a larger SSD I can ghost over for the OS drive. Mine's still good ... but as Windows naturally bloats, I'm running out of space.

I also think a larger SSD will be better when the time comes to upgrade to Win 10.

KevinWhiteMusic.com

The Rig:
i7 950 Processor
12G Corsair DDR3 RAM
Sonar Platinum 

stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/01/31 14:30:03 (permalink)
kevinwhitect
mcdonalk
Throughout this thread, I see references to a "cog." What is a "cog?"

In C3, it is an icon you click to enter the settings.

I just downloaded Platinum ... and no, it does NOT pause between download and installation AND even with X3 located on the external drive, it put EVERYTHING ON MY C DRIVE.

I went to uninstall it to free up space on the OS drive, and it isn't even appearing in Programs in Windows.

Not good folks. I'll figure this out, but this is not good.

As I stated-for me it put everything where I had previously put X1,x2 and x3. Where is\was your cw content folder located before you started the install of Plat?
AS I said, mine is on and ext sample drive (well actually it's internal, just a different physical SATA drive) maybe that's why mine worked as it did.

kevinwhitect
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/01/31 17:11:33 (permalink)
stratman70
kevinwhitect
mcdonalk
Throughout this thread, I see references to a "cog." What is a "cog?"

In C3, it is an icon you click to enter the settings.

I just downloaded Platinum ... and no, it does NOT pause between download and installation AND even with X3 located on the external drive, it put EVERYTHING ON MY C DRIVE.

I went to uninstall it to free up space on the OS drive, and it isn't even appearing in Programs in Windows.

Not good folks. I'll figure this out, but this is not good.

As I stated-for me it put everything where I had previously put X1,x2 and x3. Where is\was your cw content folder located before you started the install of Plat?
AS I said, mine is on and ext sample drive (well actually it's internal, just a different physical SATA drive) maybe that's why mine worked as it did.

In my system setup (3 separate drives):

C: OS drive
E: Content Drive (media files)
F: Application Drive

ALL "non-OS" programs (which at the time of original application were X1 X2 and X3) are on the F drive. This include all shared plugins.

When C3 installed, all the plugins wound up on the right drive, in the right folders, but Platinum itself installed on the C drive. 

I hope CW gets this feature added ASAP to C3, as there are now 5 active threads (including this one) regarding this very subject up on the first page. 

KevinWhiteMusic.com

The Rig:
i7 950 Processor
12G Corsair DDR3 RAM
Sonar Platinum 

slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/01/31 17:52:53 (permalink)
m.letcher@q.com
 The C3 not only denies me access to a 32b install, but also dumps everything onto my tiny C: SSD which is unacceptable. Well, it's not actually too tiny (120MB), but it needs space for 5 or 6 system restore points, 32GB for a hibernate file, and about 50 GB basic OS and prog stuff, so an extra 5 or 6 GB here and there are not to be ignored! 

Well, you can disable hibernation by opening an elevated command prompt and typing “powercfg -h off” & return
That will keep you from hibernating, but if you delete hyberfil.sys from the C:\ it will not automatically be restored.
You cannot move hyberfil.sys to another drive or mount point. You also cannot move the restore points to another drive, but you can limit the size of the restore points under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System\system protection. Some people advise disabling system restore and using an imaging program like TrueImage instead (or using Windows imaging which does allow you to locate an image off the C: drive), but a restore point can be a lifesaver if some unanticipated event (like automatic updates) kills something and your last full image is old.

Sonar has always insisted on installing a significant amount of code on C:.
mcdonalk
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/01/31 18:36:37 (permalink)
kevinwhitect:
Could you summarize your procedure so that I can correctly duplicate what you did?
thanks

Keith

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/01/31 19:27:37 (permalink)
I really wish someone with the knowledge, experience, and time would write up a short Installation of Sonar 2015 and Associated Files manual... FOR DUMMIES. I R a dummy and it would be helpful.

I have installed Platinum using CCC, AD2 using the XLN installer but frankly I am going to look at everything again. I have programs, VSTs, and files installed all over the place on this computer.
I am setting up a new DAW and I want everything well organized on it so I have not yet installed much on it. I have not had time mostly and have not done anything in spare time for fear of making a mess of it. Now this... and I am thinking about uninstalling Platinum and AD2 and doing a re-install. I thought I didn't have to worry about anything with Command Center, now it worries me. It's always something... it is funny though. When I came here about an hour ago I was thinking about this subject, not concerning CCC, but how to properly install Platinum, third party VSTs, files, MIDI, and Cakewalk instruments, just everything. I'm thinking I want al my programs on my C drive, it is 500G, then I have two 1TB drives for sounds, files, and projects. I have a general idea of what to do, just not sure how to do it and now I am afraid that the CC will not do what I want it to do.
It's all probably in the manual...

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/01/31 19:38:33 (permalink)
jbow
I really wish someone with the knowledge, experience, and time would write up a short Installation of Sonar 2015 and Associated Files manual... FOR DUMMIES. I R a dummy and it would be helpful.

I have installed Platinum using CCC, AD2 using the XLN installer but frankly I am going to look at everything again. I have programs, VSTs, and files installed all over the place on this computer.
I am setting up a new DAW and I want everything well organized on it so I have not yet installed much on it. I have not had time mostly and have not done anything in spare time for fear of making a mess of it. Now this... and I am thinking about uninstalling Platinum and AD2 and doing a re-install. I thought I didn't have to worry about anything with Command Center, now it worries me. It's always something... it is funny though. When I came here about an hour ago I was thinking about this subject, not concerning CCC, but how to properly install Platinum, third party VSTs, files, MIDI, and Cakewalk instruments, just everything. I'm thinking I want al my programs on my C drive, it is 500G, then I have two 1TB drives for sounds, files, and projects. I have a general idea of what to do, just not sure how to do it and now I am afraid that the CC will not do what I want it to do.
It's all probably in the manual...

J

Hi JBow...

It appears that CCC currently does a basic, standard install... I would use this and simply change the default audio drive to a separate dedicated audio drive... Then just make sure that when you add any VST's, they get placed into the default sonar/vstplugins folder...

Some people opt place sample libraries on yet a third drive but I have not found a need for this myself...

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/01/31 20:09:40 (permalink)
Thanks Keni and I'm gad to see you got 2015!! I took a look at Command Center and the settings. If I understand right, Platinum will install on C. My VSTs will install in the 64 or 32 bit folders on C. Then when I extract I can put the programs on C with Sonar and have their content, packs, MIDI, or whatever install on D. Then keep projects and associated audio and MIDI with the project on E... roight? It looks pretty simple to me. I think before I was just not paying any attention. Does what I said above sound right? CCC looks pretty straight forward as far as using settings to point it where I want it to go, at least with VSTs. I think CW assumed that everyone would install Sonar itself on their C drive.

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/01/31 20:36:42 (permalink)
jbow
Thanks Keni and I'm gad to see you got 2015!! I took a look at Command Center and the settings. If I understand right, Platinum will install on C. My VSTs will install in the 64 or 32 bit folders on C. Then when I extract I can put the programs on C with Sonar and have their content, packs, MIDI, or whatever install on D. Then keep projects and associated audio and MIDI with the project on E... roight? It looks pretty simple to me. I think before I was just not paying any attention. Does what I said above sound right? CCC looks pretty straight forward as far as using settings to point it where I want it to go, at least with VSTs. I think CW assumed that everyone would install Sonar itself on their C drive.

Julien

Hi Juluen...

Yes... That sounds good... Personally, I don't like to have anything on my audio drive other than the audio, but it should work fine. If I felt keeping all that other media away from the c drive, I would add a 3rd drive for it, but I find my system works very well with all but the audio on my c drive...

Thanks about getting Platinum.... Another kind friend offered to pay the first month... Do I counted my change and bought it with the monthly plan while awaiting the cash so that I don't miss out on the special price... And I managed to get my DAW enough connectivity two nights ago to download the sonar portion of the package. I have not been able to get the other elements yet...

Hoping all is well for you... How was your Thursday excursion?

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
kevinwhitect
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/02/01 07:53:38 (permalink)
mcdonalk
kevinwhitect:
Could you summarize your procedure so that I can correctly duplicate what you did?
thanks

Keith

Sure Keith.

1) Download and install CCC
2) Click on the cog to go to settings menu
3) Designate where to put the VST2 and VST3 Plugins
4) Designate where CCC will download all the programs to your computer (Note this location for later)
5) Download and install Sonar Platinum. (This will take a while)
6) Once finished, right click on Sonar Platinum and choose "Uninstall". CCC uninstalls the program from your C Drive.
7) Navigate to the folders where the downloads were directed. All required programs will be found there separately,
8) Double click on each program desired to manually launch the individual installer. This will look very familiar to you and will allow you to choose both 32 and 64 bit installations AND designate installation drives and folders. This is the old way of installing.
9) Once done, reopen CCC. If the button is glowing yellow on Platinum, it means an update was found. Highlight the program, and an "Update" button will appear to the right. Click on that to automatically update Sonar. It will occur in the folder you designated to put the program.

Note: C drive does not escape being written on, as Sonar must communicate with the OS. Accordingly, there will be some installation files put on C regardless. Also, this will happen with the other programs that load the assorted plugins that come with the purchase bundle. Yet, since you designated in Settings where the plugins themselves are to be put, they will be installed in those folders set.

I've not yet installed Rapture or Dimension Pro ... as my X3 versions of them are the same as the versions included in Platinum ... BUT BUT ... I AM going to eventually install them BECAUSE of the "Auto Update" feature in CCC, and the old versions will NOT be recognized by CCC. Therefore it is wise to get the newer version of the same programs put onto one's rig.

KevinWhiteMusic.com

The Rig:
i7 950 Processor
12G Corsair DDR3 RAM
Sonar Platinum 

mcdonalk
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/02/01 10:19:54 (permalink)
kevinwhitetc:

gracias
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Will Command Center support preferred installation destinations? 2015/02/01 12:38:23 (permalink)
CakeAlexS
Weird, when I upgraded the Cakewalk content went straight to a folder under my D drive where it belongs.
The cog icon allowed me the specify the VST file path settings before upgrading.

Maybe I have a later version of CCC?

I did my install without CCC and content for everything went to my preferred content location also.  Which is cool ... unless I wanted to specifiy a different place.

But then Sound Center dumped all its content on the system drive, again without asking.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1