Helpful ReplyA (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2015/03/01 13:43:52 (permalink)

A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum...

Hello, all. It has been a while since I posted one of these. The basic premise is I will be posting a real time review/report of what I'm doing and finding and observing as a new user of Sonar Platinum 2015 (Feb "Braintree" release as of the OP).

In the past I did these for various pieces of hardware I bought (unboxings) and programs (installs) with some impressions on whatever it was I was working on. Back then I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and I'm still a novice but I guess I can't call myself a beginner anymore (thus "not so" complete beginner).

This will likely not be of interest to pros but some folks seem to enjoy them and through the absolutely amazing support and generosity of the forum I am now a proud Sonar Platinum user. Thank you gswitz and all those who contributed and to the forum in general. It was a truly unbelievable act of kindness and really most of what I know has been acquired here. As awesome as Sonar is this forum is the most powerful tool at our disposal.

There were many comments implying that I need to be up to date so I can root around the program and continue contributing to the forum and of course, whether I updated now or later, that is what would have happened. I guess that will happen sooner. So instead of starting a ton long winded posts and/or threads as I poke around I figured I'd post this and just keep it all in one place.

It is good timing because I am in the middle of doing some final tracking on my current project and then some mixing so I'll be performing a bunch of general tasks which will allow me to give Platinum a bit of a utilitarian workout. The current project was created in X3 so hopefully it will remain stable. Usually I keep projects in the version they were created in but I'm hoping and anticipating this one will survive the transfer.

I am working on this so the posts will be sporadic and I'll post stuff as I notice stuff. I may run into problems I need help with. I may gush at things I think are cool. I may get peeved at any weirdness/bugs I find. That's the point of the real time review. I'm just a guy trying to get crap done with the software. Maybe it will be helpful, interesting or entertaining or maybe it will just be lame and annoying. Either way it's happening.

Cheers and again thanks to all you awesome doods and doodettes. Kindly excuse any typos and/or brainfarts throughout.

Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 13:57:55 (permalink)
So I actually downloaded and installed yesterday but we may as well start from the beginning....

I used the Offline install procedure instead of running the Comand Center thingie. I just don't particularly like having extra software running on the DAW unless necessary and I keep the system offline most of the time anyway. However when I performed the offline install I actually did all the steps on the DAW as opposed to transferring the files around. Little easier that way and I figured since it's the less documented way to do it I would figure it out. I worked off the following video to make it happen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roIgly_GjoI&feature=youtu.be

That will work but leaves out a couple details that may or may not affect your install.

I typed up the following in the original thread. Even though I did the download on the same system I was installing to I included the steps for transferring the files.

1) Go to your store account's Products page using your online computer
2) Click on Connected Products (it's kind of a dropdown above your older products)
3) Click on the Platinum section which will expose all the downloads for Platinum
4) Download whatever you want from the list (if you own previous versions you'll own a lot of that stuff already)
5) If you need the Addictive Drums, Melodyne or other included stuff you have to click the other dropdowns because they are not under the Platinum section but that has nothing to do with registering Sonar.
6) Put all your downloads on an external drive or whatever you use to move files around between systems
7) Right click the Platinum installer and select Run As Administrator (I always use Run As Administrator but a double left click should launch it anyway... you should also close all other programs and turn off your antivirus temporarily)
8) Once you go through all the install windows open Platinum (or Artist or Studio)
9) In the vid it says to create a project but you don't need to do that. Just close the Open dialog if it pops up so you have a blank instance of Sonar
10) In the global menu (at the top of the screen) click Help > Offline Activation > Export Activation Request
11) Choose a location on your computer to save the file generated (like your desktop)
12) Transfer that file to your online computer
13) Log into your Store account again and click Activate
14) Click "Select A File" (if you use script blockers you need to allow the Cakewalk domain for this to work).
15) Browse to wherever you saved the file (like your USB key or desktop)
16) This will generate a new file that you need to download (the vid doesn't really show this)
17) Transfer that file back to your DAW
18) Open Sonar and click Help > Offline Activation > Import Activation Response
19) Browse to wherever you have your new activation file stored and select it
20) Apply it and a Toast message will pop up saying Sonar is now activated. The Offline Activation entry in the Help menu will disappear as well... I'm assuming until your membership lapses.

So a little bit of effort and seems like a lot of steps but it's actually pretty easy.

BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 14:10:53 (permalink)
Beepster, I think you may have misinterpreted the events of yesterday. The vig is due next Saturday.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 14:12:13 (permalink)
After I had everything installed it was getting a little late but I did poke around a little and want to post those initial observations while they are still fresh. Then I will delve into the program more thoroughly and report back as I go.

The actual install of the main program was fast and easy. Took no time at all. They have seriously parted out all the components so it's easy to avoid reloading the bulky this that's and the others (like loops, effects, presets, content, etc). I literally ONLY installed the main program and as of this Braintree release there seems to only be a few extras that really need to be added on top of that. Everything else is already installed from previous versions.

This was actually the fastest install of Sonar I've had. Take that as you will.

The first thing I looked at as soon as I opened it up was the new Control Bar. I had been asking for the module scrolling for a LONG time. I always found it extremely annoying and disruptive having to replace modules in the CB as I worked. So I was obviously very pleased to see those happy little scroll arrows on either side of the Control Bar.

However they have also implemented something else I wanted which was compact modules (or Small) that just mush all the needed stuff into a smaller space. Excellent. The collapse module stuff was even better...

BUT the thing that REALLY blew my mind was that with a fully collapsed module I could just hover over it and get the ENTIRE module to drop down and be accessible. With that I can have every module I use or think I may use crammed into view and know I can just hover/click over it to do what I need. Was not expecting that and man am I ever happy about it.

Of course there is also the Custom Module which is cool but seems to be more geared toward old school users who wanted all the older style buttons back. Not sure what I'll use it for at this point but hey... easy access to menu items is always nice.

post edited by Beepster - 2015/03/02 08:19:26
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 14:13:36 (permalink)
what's a vig?

:-/
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 14:21:18 (permalink)
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 14:30:10 (permalink)
Now the final thing I checked out yesterday before I went off to Beepster snoozerland was the one and only bug that had consistently been driving me nuts in X3. The following is a merged thread(s) of the reports I made here on the forum.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Track-View-jumping-to-parent-track-when-selecting-Takes-m3047905.aspx

They had been confirmed but I foolishly had not made my own report (lazy, stoopid, busy). I was very worried it had not been fixed but Alex checked it out and said it had. Not that I didn't believe him but I had to check it out myself yesterday and lo and behold... no screen jumping when clicking/selecting between tracks.

The problem was I use/create many lanes for my guitar parts. I like to try out different performances as I work. I use dual inputs many times while recording or create doubles. This means going back and forth between two tracks with take lanes open to see how things sound together while I comp. What would happen is as soon as I moved to the second track's set of takes and clicked on something the screen would jump to the Parent Track. Then I would have to scroll back down to whatever I was looking at. Very annoying.

That seems to be gone now.

The point is I did not officially report that. It was only confirmed through the forum. I had never seen any other reports of this behavior (oddly enough because it seems like something that would make people angry).

So either it got fixed through a coincidence or someone else reported it or the Baker's are indeed keeping an eye on what we are all kvetching about here and doing something about it.

Whatever it was I am quite happy about this particular fix.

The only other bugs that used to kick my butt regularly were in X2 and were loooong gone by the time X3e released. Now I'll just have to see if any new weirdness has been introduced.

Other than that, as I said the project I will initially be working on in Platinum is something created in X3. I did a Save As so that I can revert back and finish it in X3 if need be but I'm hoping to finish this final tracking and then mixing in Platinum. This should be a good test of how complex projects transfer over.

Cheers.
post edited by Beepster - 2015/03/02 08:22:08
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 14:35:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2015/03/01 17:06:35
scook
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigorish

I see. I have an abundance of belly button lint and toe jam. They are a culinary delicacy and if brewed as a tea have curative properties.

Beeps fuzzjam. More potent than rhino horn without all the guilt.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 15:44:30 (permalink)
As you so rightly point out the new Control Bar is a real inspired upgrade. It solves all the issues we had with the original. I have Platinum running on a laptop with a small display screen and I have the Control Bar working on it nearly as well as it is on my wide screen desktop display. 

I know you are a X1 user and never had the pre X series version but the customizable module is not a bone thrown to the older user but an enlightened approach to adding quick action to an already very quick interface.  

Sonar 8.5 never had a Save As button. Something I wanted for a long time. Nor did Sonar 8.5 have the ability to create your own buttons. In one big addition CW has given us all that and a great deal more. I don't know who is behind this but I suspect it could very well be Benstat that is behind  this.

He is the one that added toast to our beloved Sonar. 

Best
John
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 15:53:00 (permalink)
Aaand due to the other thread in regards to AD AdPak choices I decided to try goofing around with updating from AD1 to AD2. I had massive problems trying to install AD1 when I first install X3 and here I am again wrangling with their online store.

Love your product, XLN but not everyone uses Internet Explorer, nor do they set it with the most lax security settings possible (which seems to be the requirements to make your installer work) and I find your claims that 95% of your users said they keep their DAWs online all the time rather spurious.

Your website is a script laden nightmare these days as well which I absolutely hate.

Now I will have to dig out all my old notes on how to set up IE to allow your strange elaborate and paranoid installation system to operate.

That is all.
post edited by Beepster - 2015/03/02 08:23:15
joakes
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 905
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 16:06:22 (permalink)
I used Firefox to update my profile on their site and getvmy 3 Adpaks etc. Don't understand your problem ?

Cheers,
Jerry

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 16:19:51 (permalink)
joakes
I used Firefox to update my profile on their site and getvmy 3 Adpaks etc. Don't understand your problem ?

Cheers,
Jerry

I'd like to know how you did that. The local client does not work with FF here and I had to contact XLN initially (after I got X3/AD1). It was the same issue and they said specifically I had to use IE and disable a bunch of crap to make their installer work.

I just got it to work anyway and yes I had to disable some security settings in IE again. So refer to this link to unblock scripts if your XLN installer is crying about Javascript...

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/howtoscript

Anyway... I loathe IE so I do get a little pissy when I'm forced to use it. Sorry about that but a high tech company with high tech customers should know better.

This has nothing to do with Cakewalk or Platinum but it is a real time review and this is what is happening.

I'll be back later.
post edited by Beepster - 2015/03/02 08:24:20
John
Forum Host
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 16:31:40 (permalink)
I use Opera Developer. It works very well with this forum and I have no problems on sites like XLNs.  

Best
John
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 16:41:05 (permalink)
Yeah, the site works in FF if I allow the main domain. The local installer (which is necessary) does not. I actually had a multi email back and forth with their tech support last year trying to figure out why I could not get their installer to work. They said it only worked with IE as the default (or Safari) and that scripts needed to be allowed and gave me a pile of very specific settings to disable in my Internet options.

Now I see it's just two settings that are really necessary. Temproraily allowing IE to be the default Browser and allowing scripts as described in the link I posted earlier.

If there IS a way to get it to work with FF I would love to know but I'm already moving on here.

I'm just really not diggin' XLN's website/reg scheme. The program itself is great.
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 16:48:46 (permalink)
Anyway, enough of that. I just got excited to check out the kits. It looks like the one kit I was logging in to snag anyway (the Fairfax Vol 1) was free ON TOP of the 3 adpaks so that just freed up a slot for another kit I wanted. Also there is the Addictive Keys Studio Grand for free. I had seen people talking about those with X3/AD2 but didn't think I qualified because I was on AD1. I guess maybe those have been sitting in there this whole time. lulz...

So now I have the main kit I wanted anyway AND a fancy piano AND still have my three AdPaks.

Annoying as the process is that's still pretty slick.

Edit: Scratch that. This is a severely crippled version of the Fairfax Kit. It is just a few pieces (kick, snare, crash, hats). Took a long time to download and the site was suggesting it was the full version but I guess not. AD2 at this point is looking like one huge advertisement as well. This is getting annoying. Off to download the REAL version I guess. Cripes. The kit peices it did load sounded amazing though so I guess I can't freak out too much.

This has prevented me from playing with Platinum which was my original goal today. Oh well. Sorry guys but I wanted this be real... and this is real.

post edited by Beepster - 2015/03/02 08:26:54
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 17:29:50 (permalink)
I believe the Fairfax 1 kit is a free demo. I picked up both of the Fairfax kits and really like them. The Yamaha electric grand is just the ticket if you want keys for Genesis or Gabriel type sounds. I agree about the control bar updates, they really made the biggest difference for me with Platinum.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 18:18:32 (permalink)
I just snagged the Fairfax 1, Metal and Indie kits. Would have liked to have gotten the Jazz Brushes but they may not have been very practical. Gotta consider what's actually going to get some money flowing and that Indie kit sound seems to be what people want right now. I think I'd have to tune up those bloody toms though. They sounded really loose and floppy on the demo.

The Fairfax seems like it'll mix really well and the Metal one I can just toss in to my thrash stuff easily.

Now I have to figure out what MIDI packs and extra kit pieces to snag. I didn't realize that I got those on TOP of the kits. Kind of cool.

I remember a lot of people being really stoked about that Addictive Keys Grand too. Not sure if they were talking about the demo but I'm not sure really how crippled they could make a piano sound. I'm guessing maybe it's just mic options or something missing but that's fine. I have plenty of other tools to twist a good solid pianer sound to my will.

Won't be able to really try any of this out until tomorrow I think though.
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/01 20:01:36 (permalink)
Ok... seems I have spent the day just wrangling with AD2 stuff so bit of a false start. However this is part of the program and a huge draw I'd imagine so I'll give the final report.

Nope... do not like XLN's new site and installer. Very annoying but now it's over with and I have my kits, MIDI packs and kit pieces downloaded and installed. My internet settings are now maxed out once again and the ethernet cable is yanked.

So I was a little confused about the freebies it seems. I thought when XLN's site was offering me 3 kits, 3 MIDI Packs and 3 Kit Pieces I thought I had to choose between the three which obviously I would go with the kits.

Turns out you get 3 of each. I picked up the...

Kits:
Fairfax Vol 1
Metal Kit
Indie Kit

Kit Pieces:
I got the two Piccollo's available (the Pearl and that deep dish picollo which I think was a Sonor but I don't recall exactly) and the Ludwig 402. Didn't need the kicks or the percussion pieces and good snares are always useful. The Pearl is what my old drummer used to use and those things have a real nice pop. I used to own a chrome snare very similar to the Ludwig and the samples sound pretty much exactly like that thing did. Very nice all purpose snare. The deep piccollo just sounds cool and better than the only other snare available.

Edit: It wasn't the Sonor snare... it was the DW I got. The actual pieces I got are:
Pearl Masterworks Piccolo Snare
Ludwig Supraphonic 402 Snare
DW Solid Piccolo Snare

MIDI Packs:
Based on the demos, I could play or program most of the stuff available (rock, indie, blues, etc) so I focused on the really crazy stuff that I could never play on my little pK or program easily.
Diabolic
Groove Jazz Sticks
Funk'd Up

Should cover a lot of bases and I can analyze/alter the MIDI patterns to see how that stuff was put together. Kind of thinking I should have gotten the Funk II pack instead of the Funk'd Up one because it's not as impressive once loaded but still useful.

I took a quick poke at the kits and they sound really amazing. I'll definitely get some mileage out of these.

The new AD2 GUI is freaking HUGE though. My monitor does not seem to play nice with Windows resolution settings so I've got two black bars going down either side of the screen at all times. Every program I use fits nicely in between them though... except for my new acquisition, Addictive Drums 2. I cannot see the whole GUI at once and even if I did have access to the whole screen this thing would completely hide Sonar or anything else. Most of the GUI real estate seems to be for flashy ads to get you to buy more stuff. Not very compact and all that bling is distracting.

Still it all sounds very very nice which is what matters. So well done XLN. You've managed to completely impress and annoy me all at the same time. I do very much look forward to adding these drums to my songs. Wrestling with that GUI... not so much but I'll get over it.

Cheers.
post edited by Beepster - 2015/03/02 09:17:19
joakes
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 905
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 03:27:58 (permalink)
Beepster
joakes

Cheers,
Jerry

I'd like to know how you did that. The local client does not work with FF here and I had to contact XLN initially (after I got X3/AD1). It was the same issue and they said specifically I had to use IE and disable a bunch of crap to make their installer work.

I just got it to work anyway and yes I had to disable some security settings in IE again. So refer to this link to set unblock scripts if your XLN installer is crying about Javascript...

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/howtoscript

Anyway... I loathe IE so I do get a little pissy when I'm forced to use it. Sorry about that but a high tech company with high tech customers should know better.

This has nothing to do with Cakewalk or Platinum but it is a real time review and this is what is happening.

I'll be back later.

Just got up, i'm on the other side of the pond.

This is what i did : i openned up my XLN account/profile using Firefox and registered the code given by C3. That then gave me access to chose kits, midi etc which i did.

After that i closed it down and fired up the XLN installer and everything was ready to be downloaded.

HTH,

Cheers,
Jerry

PS : FWIW the only website i can't use with FF is that of Toontrack - there i have to use Opera (or IE).

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 06:54:45 (permalink)
Hi, Joakes. Thanks. That's what I was trying as well. Logging into their site and choosing the Paks was no problem. It's the XLN Installer that gets choked up.

The problem is that on every computer I own one of the first things I do is go into the Windows Control Panel and crank up the security and privacy settings to not allow IE to really do anything. I used to actually completely uninstall it but I do occasionallly need it (such as for things like this).

The XLN Installer program requires IE (or Safari) with scripting enabled and I think it needs to drop some cookies on the system as well (not sure about that last one though). So what happens is when I launch the Installer I get a Javascript/Browser error. The first time this happened I contacted XLN support because I couldn't figure out what the problem was and they sent me specific instructions to loosen up my security settings just enough to get the installer working. I actually forwarded those instructions to one of the Bakers (Andrew) so support could have them on file in case anyone ran into similar problems. He said there had been a few similar reports from other users.

It's not really a huge deal but you know how it is on install day. You're all stoked to get things running so any little hold up seems like a major annoyance... especially when the solution isn't really documented anywhere.

But now it's documented here for any other internet travellers having issues.

In other news... I made a whole WHACK of typos in this thread so far. Gonna edit those in a bit. Sorry about that. guys. I was bouncing between two computers and not really paying attention to my typing I guess.

Hope to get at the main program later today.
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 13:10:57 (permalink)
Okay... so I'm back in front of the DAW (got a slow start today... wasn't feeling well this morning). I created a new project just goof around in. I wanted to try out my new AD kits with my padKontrol so inserted an instance using all stereo outputs.

Yesterday when I was saying that the AD GUI was HUGE I had been using the standalone so at least I could move it around and access any paramters off screen. Now that I have it inserted as a synth it is constrained inside a plugin window. Due to the resolution settings I have in Windows to accomodate my flatscreen (black bars on either side) I guess it only allows windows to be a max height width. Now the right hand side of the GUI is cut off and I can't scroll over or stretch the window horizontally to get at that stuff. Apparently this GUI is only designed to work on a widescreen monitor which is very unfortunate and kind of odd. I've never encountered this before.

So I may have to post a question in the Computers section or something to finally figure out how to force Windows to use the entire width of my monitor. Yes I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out my resolution/aspect ratio stuff but this monitor (which is actually a TV/monitor) is weird. Any time I get it set to take up the whole width of the screen it stretches things out horizontally. Good excuse to finally (hopefully) get that sorted out. Still kind of annoying.

I'm also having a bit of a hard time figuring out the new preset scheme in AD2 but I'll just have to read up a little more. It is quite different than AD1 (as far as I can tell).

The kits I got however sound AMAZING and will be very useful for my stuff. I was having a problem with the padKontrol's expression pedal triggering sensitivity. I am using a Korg padKontrol which is a rather nice, cost effective but older MPD device and you can assign a MIDI note to be triggered by an external foot control expression pedal which I set to trigger a kick sound so I can play it almost like a real kit. The problem was when I hit the expression pedal it would double/triple trigger the kick. Not ideal but I've had this problem before. In the past I was able to reign it in sheerly by adjusting my performance (I would still get a double trigger every now and again but if that happened while recording I would just edit out the extra notes). This time it was so extreme I thought all was lost and I wouldn't be able to use my exp pedal anymore but after a while it was working fine. I don't see how I could have adjusted my performance to the point of resolving the extra triggers so quickly (it was literally ten minutes of goofing around and I was getting single triggers again) so either I'm a better fake drummer than I thought or AD2/Sonar somehow compensated automagically for those wonky hits... if that is even possible.

Anyway... that's enough about AD2 for now but this experiment did prove some other things about Platinum itself.

My pK was already detected, enabled and following the existing mapping I had already done. Basically the MIDI device settings imported flawlessly and there was no difference in which kit pieces were being trigger than in AD1. My snare was where it was in AD1, My kick was where it was. Everything was where it was. I just set the pK to my usually scene for live drumming and it I was able to jam out. So that was cool.

Also something of interest to some may be... when I open Platinum the plugin scanner now shows 85 plugins as opposed to the previous 69. I have only installed the main Platinum installer as of this writing and AD2. Not sure exactly what extras were installed but that's a pretty good bump up. Maybe there is dupes or plugs updated to 64 bit or something causing the extra but yeah... 16 more plugs showing up and maybe more once I install the other content.

Opening/creating projects seems to be relatively snappy even with my AV on (Microsoft Security Essentials) which usually lead to lags and white outs in previous Sonar versions and is why I generally disable the AV when working. So that's nice and indicates some core efficiency improvements.

Aside from that I haven't done much but the look in general seems a little more modern than even X3 which was already pretty slick (especially after playing around with one of the competitors recently which was... well I don't care about looks but you really notice it when using other programs).

Gonna try to get to my main project now because I really should get this tracking finished up.

I'll post more when I've explored more.

Cheers.
John
Forum Host
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 13:28:33 (permalink)
Your screen setup needs attention soon. Sonar will not be at its best with an screwed screen. 

What is its native resolution? What graphics card do you have? Its specs too? Any custom settings for windows for display?  

Best
John
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 13:35:12 (permalink)
I'm going to do some experiments on all that later to see if I can get it working on my own and/or make some notes for a proper query for everyone here. The only thing currently getting screwed up by it is AD2 so it's not an emergency. Just something I have to figure out at some point. More interested in doing some tracking right now.
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 13:45:59 (permalink)
And I think I just remembered what the initial problem was with the video stuff. This monitor is being fed by the VGA (or SVGA) output of my cheapo vid card. If that supports widescreen then I may be able to fix it. Otherwise I'll have to take a look at my cabling options again and purchase a more appropriate cable. I honestly forget waht I have back there at this point and can't be arsed to check right at this moment (I'd have to move a bunch of crap).

Got me thinkin' though so that's good. Still would be easier if things fit the screen. My other monitor is not widescreen so if I had to switch I'd still be out of luck.
John
Forum Host
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 14:25:14 (permalink)
I use two wide screen monitors and I couldn't do without them. 

Best
John
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 16:51:10 (permalink)
Not sure I'd like two monitors on my desk even if it was big enough to accomodate them. Having one well off to either side of me to plop the mixer and VST windows on would be okay but not two or more right in front of me. Maybe if the second one was hanging off the wall above/behind the one on my desk so I could just look up at it when need be.

Anyway... was just messing around with a few things. Mostly playing back my project and I tried out inserting AD2 into it and switching my drum tracks to feed it instead of AD1.

Really the only thing to report is it is working and it seems to "feel" more solid/less jittery. This is a rather large project with lots of stuff going on and it was kind of going a little weird in X3. Nothing major but playback would take a a second to start, sometimes things would respond instantly... yanno, it just was getting a little logey and if I did something weird it might freeze up for a second and I did have a few crashes.

Now I haven't done a lot yet obviously in Platinum but the insertion of the synth and changing routing and some other stuff was all solid. No weirdness or lagging. I mentioned earlier that I had my AV on and that opening seemed snappier even like that. I disable the AV and reopened the project and it was like "BAM!! Project open!" so that was nice.

Generally it just seems to be snappier and more solid. Bear in mind I have not yet installed any of the extra content. I am seeing a few reports the Braintree release is causing some minor problems. Well I can say that I am on the Braintree release but only the main program was installed. So if there are issues they may be from some of the extra stuff and I'll be keeping an eye on that as I start installing that content (I left it off intentionally for exactly this reason... I wanted to test this stuff out a little at a time).

Just a relatively quick update to how things are going if anyone is interested. Looking good so far.
John
Forum Host
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 17:00:51 (permalink)
You're not the first to notice a snappiness to Platinum. It is more solid. I thought X3 was the cats meow.  It is no where near Platinum. They did a lot under the hood. Would you check out something for me Beep? When playback in X3 stopped and replay was done often if not all the time a small buffer sound of the very last thing partial was sounded. A little sound that was very annoying. It seems gone in Platinum. Could you check this out?   

Best
John
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 17:10:51 (permalink)
Not sure I know what you mean, John.

However your question prompted me to check something out that had been going on in larger projects in X3 that seems to be better now.

It was that little nasty digital distortion noise that happens sometimes when you have playback going then jump to another spot on the timeline (it's like the digital equivalent of a needle scratch on a record and I think it's the hardrives "skipping" for lack of a better term). Anyway I just did some agressive jumping around with playback going and there was no noise... just like I would expect in a tiny project with only a few tracks.

So something is working better with that and I guess it's better i/o communication from/to the hard disks.
John
Forum Host
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 17:22:03 (permalink)
What I mean is a not fully empty buffer sounding when replay is started. Its at the very beginning. I suppose that if you have fade outs or a bit of time at the end of a song it may not sound when restarted. This was in all versions to a greater or lesser extent for me at least X3 seemed to be the biggest problem. There was no way to get rid of it either. Platinum is so far not troubled by it.

Best
John
Beepster
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 17:39:32 (permalink)
I think I may know what you are talking about but it seemed to be right after I engaged recording.

Like I would hit record, there would be a bit of a silent pause and then the echo input (or some other noise but I think it was the echo input), then silence again then playback recording would start. That little moment of noise may have been going on with just playback as well but because there was no recording engage maybe it was less so so I didn't notice it as much.

I have not recorded anything today but everything does seem to be less noisy in general when starting/stopping/jumping around. I'll know more tomorrow. I doubt I'll get myself set up to track today. Mostly making compositional plans for the new tracks (so artsy fartsy brain work) and somewhat navel gazing about my new options with Platinum.

I'm thinking after my test of AD2 I may indeed switch my drums to use that instead of what I currently have because the presets/kits I tried were cutting WAY better. However they weren't sitting as well in the mix as is and will require a totally new approach to the mix as a whole (and fine tuning the AD2 stuff).

Meh... not feeling great today either so I'm mostly thinking and poking instead of rocking out.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1