Helpful Reply[Solved] Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2015/07/27 15:57:01 (permalink)
Sir Les
If overclocking..?.Speed step and VT in bios on or off?...((advise given , to stop overclocking is best first to do))

To do Digital Audio/video...from my perspective, one should never overclock the cpu, or memory, or devices,/clocks..and tweaking the Bios is a must do... so no speed step or VT is on or used while doing.....Must should be ""disabled""...And any redundant devices turned off ..>In BOIS< So no holders in windows are made, and or reserved for IrQ's by Windows....which helps free up the raster and drive loading at boot...and perhaps services for.

So...If this is a possible reality with the OP....Setup is a must do, to get stability on most systems, with all parties playing along those ideas/clock speeds/ and such with/ cpu time outs hanging, and some chance of bad or weak parts that might not take to overclocking well...(audio cards)...less problems arise.

Just saying , like some others have said...Just to make sure...it is done..the setup....right, before the trouble shooting starts...results in less hair loss!.

Cheers!

Doktor Avalanche
Sorry but how the frig does this relate to the windows event viewer messages :)
And it looks like he bought the PC from a hardware tweaker anyway (who looks like may know what he's doing)...

Cheers..

Sir Les
Event viewer is saying something is wrong with X Y Z...Does not say what is causing it to crash ?...And if what is linked to the pc for XYZ to work correctly..(when bought, was working with older or less updated WINDOWS)(But has been since receiving updates))..speed step or vt causing issues with some of those vowels perhaps?...

Is it going to say in event viewer that speed step or vt or overclocking, or bad memory conflicts due to a cycle hiccup is causing it to crash, or some irq sharing while all the above have been not set or reset, or updating changed, once setup by the manufacturer as stable once burnt in, and stablized by them.////Once...Updating windows, and  updating Drivers, there after ""will work with those setting set to enabled i the Bios, and or overclocked by the manufacturer, will continue with the new owner and new updates and drivers?..

.I think not, setup it up right, Plane and simple, then install...for the reasons needed the system for....Then things work better, with less Event views to view.....enough said?...or does this person get all kinds of Issues with Plugins and crashes, one saying x, one saying y...another say z...as one afer another pop up.... and not solve em, only remove, and get the latest?..first by doing some setup to help it work smoothly from the get go might make it all work without events period.....Perhaps?....

Just saying...before hand.

And if this system was overclocked for x amount of time...Surely things with the cpu working if it ever overheated...could cause all kinds of events!

That is why I posted....
Be well...stay cool!

It's the software itself or a dependency on that software. Hardware faults do not tend to home into a specific VST plugin the same time every time. If it was hardware you would get BSOD's / freezes and perhaps all sorts of "random" stuff going on, especially the stuff you describe, and (if we are lucky) we would be getting event viewer messages about the hardware fault just before it freezes/BSOD's.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2015/07/27 16:13:10 (permalink)
I think it could get stuck on one issue being logged as software related, and then when it crashes, that log is logged, and the device is lost that caused it..in the crash, and does not get logged...perhaps ...As I had issues with my Bois, and these things being on,...Not over clocked, and I went in circles...get the latest drivers, get the updates, get this, get that...reinstall, do this, do not have tweak the system anymore with win 7 and 8....All advice...never looking in the bois...until I did a recount of the whole reinstall...from square one...Bios first, and found those two things enabled....turned them off, and reinstalled all....No problems since with funny crashes...Is all I can say.

So does speed step and vt cause clock issues with audio devises and cpu ?...I believe it does!

But you say what you think....

I just like to be sure before making attempts to troubleshoot issues of crashing....As from my end of things, once a system is tweaked for a specific function , and to run the os..with little else running behind the seens, and with the least amount of IRQ conflicts....The system can be very stable....

Not saying Sonar has no issues with 32 bit plugs on a 64bit os....

But crashing....I have not seen that for a while...here since disabling some features that have been known to cause issues with Audio devices drivers and or software running that stuff....

No ill will, no intent to railroad the thread....Just if it was, overclocked....then this system should not be used for audio or video of any meritable standings of sound estate...and thus the person who owns it, should think towards a new cpu...or system for audio/...etc...if the cpu got toasted....That should be checked, along with all devices....

As this could go on for a while if not...and it was overclocked for x amount of time to allow for such a thing to occur.

Again no hard feeling....Just saying....and I will not not say....that would be irresponsible of me...and anyone else here not saying it...and some have.

As for reading event viewer.....and trying to solve those issues....Go try...and see if it does solve....still might not....and so...back to what?...if so happens?

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2015/07/27 16:20:10 (permalink)
You need to understand the difference between a real crash (BSOD, freeze) usually caused by hardware and/or OS level/HAL, an application crash (exits to OS, reports to the event viewer), and a thrown error crash (graceful exit captured by the application itself, Cakewalk for instance does this when you send an error report to cakewalk as well as writes to event viewer)....
The clue to the cause is in the error message, and as I say hardware issues do not target particular plugins. Ta.
Never mind...

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2015/07/27 16:23:22 (permalink)
Sir Les
I think it could get stuck on one issue being logged as software related, and then when it crashes, that log is logged, and the device is lost that caused it..in the crash, and does not get logged...perhaps ...

Does not make sense and nope. Anyway sorry to the OP for digressing.

Sir Les
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2015/07/27 16:46:10 (permalink)
Hay...If it is, and the word if....I was here getting help once for this x1, x2, and x3...on a build before the one below....and they could not get my system to stop crashing.....Nor could I...until it burnt out....So the below spec is now new, with other pc and new mac now acquired.....Same thing being said...event viewer is saying this, that, and the other....Do the power management tweak...100%, and do this ""get the latest drivers and firmware installed...Still no glory....round in circles....No event viewer log of any speed step or vt, or sharing being noted....Yet Windows does do this, and says all is fine!...all is well....all is working a ok.......****tiepippie!

So start at square one, on the new build, or the old one...Bios first, drivers and firmware second, tweak the redundant devices to off..in bios is best...but you could use control panel....But Bios is better...as no device drivers or device will be detected by Windows on start up, and load, to be loaded and disabled after loading, and booting...and no services will start and stay started for the disabled devices in control panel if so loaded with those drivers for those devices....

I am not fighting the reason for some of the Crashes...I am trying to make a foundation for better troubleshooting practices!

But some people like you....seem to have issues with method....

Also cpu spiking...not logged in event viewer...I had issues also with....
And, all things are not logged....If the reporter when making the report crashes also....so dump...or..it just gets corrupted because it does not get written....Has occured here!

So...Let us make If mean if, and could be...mean could happen....and has...here....You make your own assessing method.....I made mine....with IF and COULD BE.....Do not try to make sense.....things happen sometimes in odd ways....there is mystery, and there is chaos....None of which is of what I posted...it is just a measure of method to solve all or some...if the instructions of some do not prevail in solving...then...why not try this first before hand?...takes a second to do, and another to boot and try if it works...if not, keep those things disabled, and get the latest plug ins....they will work better in the end or long run anyway with those things turned off.........And you cannot argue that fact....But time will tell....overclocking/speed stepping the cpu is that....it should not be done period.....

So...the OP can do what ever he/she wants to do........I find it best to turn off redundant and problematic things first!

Be well.

Good luck!
post edited by Sir Les - 2015/07/27 17:33:21

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2015/07/27 16:55:03 (permalink)
Yup as your issue is totally unrelated to the OP's actual issue if we look at the evidence supplied. .

And it's generally best to look at software and diagnostics first before you look at hardware otherwise you could end up making the problem worse. Top down not bottom up...

Nevermind... ;)

gustabo
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2015/07/27 17:08:49 (permalink)
What a ****** *******!

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

Sir Les
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2015/07/27 17:39:36 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Yup as your issue is totally unrelated to the OP's actual issue if we look at the evidence supplied. .

And it's generally best to look at software and diagnostics first before you look at hardware otherwise you could end up making the problem worse. Top down not bottom up...

Nevermind... ;)

See you use the word if///....And I did not say my issue was as the OP has....I just said if it was overclocked....the word if is used?...if....and could be....also used....I am not making any claim to it being that.....You are just ignorant to those words used.....Be good, be well....and I am not a jurk...and I build systems to....and they work now....

MS had remote viewers on my systems with win 7....and they could not solve the issues I had...so win 8.1 was said by them to be a better platform for my new system...and most likely would have done better with the old one that got burnt out....Taking advice from people whom did not want me to tweak my system....But it sure had a problem with win 7....and Sonar!...and all else Audio!....no log in event viewer noted of what that was thought...Because if it was noted in the log and reports....do you not think I would still have that system?....

It is a very nice day!....So Go fly a kit.

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 19:19:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2015/07/27 21:06:01
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Even God can't solve 3rd party VST problems :)

Breach of TOS? Where are the Hosts when you need them!! :P

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 19:37:08 (permalink)
Don't worry I realise if I don't stop now it will never end. This is hardly going the way of a technical discussion ;)

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 19:39:47 (permalink)
Hosts? What hosts! One of the requirements for being a host is not being stupid!

Best
John
Sir Les
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 22:24:13 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Don't worry I realise if I don't stop now it will never end. This is hardly going the way of a technical discussion ;)

Sorry for that...But I am technically solving my own issues with my own gear, by listening to people who start checking the system devices first...then once all posts before OS install, and it seems to post correctly all things of devices....I do the bios tweaks as of that burnout....And I have had no issues with win 8.1 so far....using many tips from good people here on these forms...mostly hardware first, and making sure it is stable...

Again I am not saying the reason is of that nature...But best to be sure it does not cause issues in future updates...if the cpu is set to speed step...and vt is also on....it could cause other issues down the road...So why not just do the tweak?.....regardless of the event viewer....and then tackle the event viewer to solve the Plug in issues with the latest.....That way both software and hardware are addressed...and all tweaks....HD Audio HDMI....also...and cpu parking....and so on and so forth....If one wants the best performance with stable renderings and plug ins of cpu loading...and clocking....it would be prudent.....No need to bring in the Mods...but I would say....Sorry first, although I am not wrong..nor am i in the right....But it is help...and I am helping...why are you bashing me?....fly Bash the drums ....as helping is not a crime...to get someone up and running with good to best performing system for....XYZ to not make events and logs.

Just trying to help...Not saying the OP has not or has...Just gleening the post, and trying to help...is all I was doing....and it is help.

And I say sorry....

Cheers!

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 23:15:55 (permalink)
Les seriously no big deal let's get back to topic. Nobody is saying your intentions are not honourable. Apols if you though I was bashing you personally I simply was attempting a technical discussion... cheers...

AllanH
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/27 23:32:45 (permalink)
I had a similar issue and found the following: Sonar Plat/Fox on x64 Windows 7 with VST3 from SampleTank3.5 crashes on loading project with just a single SampleTank 3.5 instrument

Switching to VST2, the problem went away. It's worth noting that VST3 RapturePro works just fine.

So if you can, it may work better with a VST2. I only have these two VST3s, so it's hard to say where the crash came from.

Sonar Platinum, EWHO/D, Spitfire, Miroslav, Pianoteq, ....,  Kurzweil.
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/29 13:12:02 (permalink)
My Platinum crashes 50% of the time when I open it up it will give me an rtsonar.exe and its goodbye Platinum. I havent got any of slates plug ins on my system so I can't blame Tony!

Sonar X series 
https://youtu.be/9YNplnhTAZY Steal My Girl
 https://youtu.be/A0VPi_UZmLo Moon & Stars

KRK VXT6 Studio One 3  Main: SPLAT for Lifetime: Formerly known as...
Nothing beats the best!
stevee9c6
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 464
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/29 14:40:37 (permalink)
I can not open any projects previously done. Every single one crashes.
I have done pretty much everything suggested here. 
I have submitted 12  numbered events to cake via the auto reporting feature (These are visible in account as awaiting review)
This is what I see for all 12 reports.

CWBRN-34360 Report Details

ProductSONAR PlatinumVersion21.5.00.32 x64StatusAwaiting ReviewSummaryNew Report from Crash ReporterRepro StepsTried to open this project that I have been working on for over a week.Expected Results Actual Results Audio Device- - Select Audio Device - - - UnknownOS- - Select OS - -ReproducibilityReproducibleFiled7/25/2015Last update7/25/2015

Additional Files/Notes ?

Additionally, I submitted a separate support ticket.

I have not been contacted by anyone from CW via email or my contact information provided. 
Their support hours are exactly when I am unable to be at my machine or talk to them.
I have this Friday off and plan to phone them.

I have a new project started that seems to be ok.   I'm not complaining, venting or ranting. I am simply matter of fact stating my current situation. I am hopeful it will get better after talking with them.

Steve 
www.stevestallingsmusic.com
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/29 15:42:41 (permalink)
I am feeling your grief, as it is a buzzkill to not be able to work without interruptions.
I am on the other hand, not seeing any of your problems. I only hope that you (all) will get this figured out.
It really is a great DAW I have not been set back through the 2015 cycle of SONAR at all.
I only have one issue with SONAR, and that is the UI issue with Saturation Knob (only on a above mounted monitor, and only in Console View), and there is a workaround.
Anyway, best of luck.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/29 16:01:23 (permalink)
glad you got a ticket submitted, but I would suggest you do go ahead and call them on your off Friday.  calling them is always quicker response than waiting on ticket responses from email.  good luck!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
stevee9c6
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/30 10:17:42 (permalink)
I believe I fixed it last night. All Softube products were removed including leftover dll in registry. Slate VBC received the same. My PACE I-lock acct had a WAVES SSL Expred demo from 2009. I nuked it. I did a reboot and no crashes. Hopefully, it is resolved.

Steve 
Zargg
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/30 11:48:42 (permalink)
Let us know how it goes. You are hopefully back on track again

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2015/07/30 13:00:10 (permalink)
Great... Just keep watching the event viewer.
Ta

stevee9c6
Huh? 2015/07/31 14:31:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Doktor Avalanche 2015/07/31 16:00:37
I am pretty sure I now live in a different universe.  This morning I got up ready to video conference with Slate (they sent an invitation to do this) and give Joey Adams a call in CW tech support.  When I told the Slate folks that the only way everything worked was by totally removing their plugs, they felt that they could fix whatever was causing the issue.  This despite a formal notice on their website that Sonar is unsupported.  They were so upbeat that I went back into my Slate account and.... whoa? All of my Slate builds were probably at least two years old. I totally eliminated anything on my computer that was from Slate. I downloaded all of their newest builds.... but only the 64 bit VST3 versions. I reinstalled everything and updated my PACE. 
Next, since I am doing this updating, I updated everything CW, including the new Gloucester build. The only thing I did not reinstall is the Softube plugs. I really don't use them.
I then made sure all dead dll and registry errors were gone.

I rebooted and fired up SPLAT.  Everything works. Projects that immediately crashed only two days ago, now run fine. All of the Slate stuff is working like a champ. 

I've been going through projects for two hours. I can not get sonar to crash.  At this point, I don't think I will need to do anything with either Slate or CW support.   I keep waiting for it to crash...  so far, so good.
Thank you to each and every one of you who contributed. 
steve

Steve 
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Huh? 2015/07/31 14:40:02 (permalink)
That's awesome Steve!
Zargg
Re: Huh? 2015/07/31 15:54:16 (permalink)
Glad to hear that it was an easy fix And now, music...

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

Jacob1701
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Issues with crashes of Platinum, probably VST related.. Not another snarky title.. 2016/08/04 15:25:16 (permalink)
It was the Softtube plugin for me causing the crash.  I just uninstalled it and everything scanned fine.

Sonar Version: X3 Producer x64
Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB
Computer: WIndows 8.1 Pro x64, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH, i7-4790 Haswell, 16GB Ram, 2 Thunderbolt v2 ports, Firewire PCIE card
DI: Behringer Ultra-DI Pro DI800
PhilW
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: Seriously.... Platinum simply is the most unstable software platform ever. 2016/08/04 18:23:26 (permalink)
stevee9c6
I can not open any projects previously done. Every single one crashes.
I have done pretty much everything suggested here. 
I have submitted 12  numbered events to cake via the auto reporting feature (These are visible in account as awaiting review)
This is what I see for all 12 reports.

CWBRN-34360 Report Details

ProductSONAR PlatinumVersion21.5.00.32 x64StatusAwaiting ReviewSummaryNew Report from Crash ReporterRepro StepsTried to open this project that I have been working on for over a week.Expected Results Actual Results Audio Device- - Select Audio Device - - - UnknownOS- - Select OS - -ReproducibilityReproducibleFiled7/25/2015Last update7/25/2015

Additional Files/Notes ?

Additionally, I submitted a separate support ticket.

I have not been contacted by anyone from CW via email or my contact information provided. 
Their support hours are exactly when I am unable to be at my machine or talk to them.
I have this Friday off and plan to phone them.

I have a new project started that seems to be ok.   I'm not complaining, venting or ranting. I am simply matter of fact stating my current situation. I am hopeful it will get better after talking with them.

Was your system date really set to the year 2015? I noticed the same thing in the SystemTime info in the previous info you posted. I can imagine that might cause some strange issues with license validation, among other things.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1