Helpful ReplyLockedRenewal Fee

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/12 15:39:12 (permalink)
pwalpwal
bapu
What's a renewal cost?

Oh, I forgot, I'm a lifetime member with free Platinum updates. Happy camper here.

have fun with your beta testing

So far, so good. Every release (I don't install the pre-releases) has been berry berry good to me.
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/12 15:44:30 (permalink)

Renewal Fee

To whom it may concern
I,m not happy about the increase in the annual fee
Last year it cost me $175
This year $229 thats a $54 increase Iv been a loyal customer for years
But its starting to get a bit much in my opinion  
I.ll give it another year as i,v just paid for it
But a may have to look for other options
Grandwizz

As I pointed out earlier, this whole thread which seems to have wandered off,  boils down to -- the OP just woke up and has realised the Canadian Dollar is devalued right now.  Cakewalk is an American company so everything we purchase from the States is 25% higher than what US customers pay. 
You'll notice Gold Wave, a Canadian company, is still the same $50. 

No one seems to have caught this other than scook. So my question is - Did the annual fee go up for US customers? 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 13:33:22 (permalink)
pwalpwal
bapu
What's a renewal cost?

Oh, I forgot, I'm a lifetime member with free Platinum updates. Happy camper here.

I thought they stopped using names for the releases.. What is this "beta" release you're talking about?
Must have been over a year ago. It must have been good, since I don't recall any issues with it 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 13:39:04 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Did the annual fee go up for US customers? 

Not yet. It is still $199 retail. Cakewalk has a promotion going on right now so it is less with the promo code and resellers still have it discounted. I believe the retail price of the renewal will go to $249 next month.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 14:55:20 (permalink)
gprokap
Darangen

That said, as long as what Anderton is saying is true and the increased cost is going to support SONAR updates and not simply line the pockets of Gibson executives, I'd ultimately be fine with an increased cost - because I'd actually benefit from that increase.

Gibson's has already hit the iceberg and there aren't enough boats.  I wonder who'll own Cakewalk next?

See my previous post about accepting bets on worst-case scenarios. Would be happy to add "someone else will own Cakewalk" to the list 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 14:57:39 (permalink)
Anderton
gprokap
Darangen

That said, as long as what Anderton is saying is true and the increased cost is going to support SONAR updates and not simply line the pockets of Gibson executives, I'd ultimately be fine with an increased cost - because I'd actually benefit from that increase.

Gibson's has already hit the iceberg and there aren't enough boats.  I wonder who'll own Cakewalk next?

See my previous post about accepting bets on worst-case scenarios. Would be happy to add "someone else will own Cakewalk" to the list 

What are the odds if betting on your side??

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 15:20:42 (permalink)
Zargg
pwalpwal
bapu
What's a renewal cost?

I thought they stopped using names for the releases.. What is this "beta" release you're talking about?
Must have been over a year ago. It must have been good, since I don't recall any issues with it 

i'm going to take your comment at face value and point you to section 2 at this link "speed-to-market" http://www.allaboutagile.com/10-good-reasons-to-do-agile-development/
/hth

just a sec

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 16:17:01 (permalink)
scook
Cactus Music
Did the annual fee go up for US customers? 

Not yet. It is still $199 retail. Cakewalk has a promotion going on right now so it is less with the promo code and resellers still have it discounted. I believe the retail price of the renewal will go to $249 next month.

Pure speculation on my part but it seems that Cakewalk may have embraced the subscription model. Reduction of the first time buy cost to $249 will seal the deal.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 16:50:34 (permalink)
pwalpwal
bapu
What's a renewal cost?

So you rather pay to be a beta tester. 

Best
John
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 16:55:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Alex Westner [Cakewalk] 2017/04/13 18:00:31
rabeach
Pure speculation on my part but it seems that Cakewalk may have embraced the subscription model.

Not at all. It is still a purchase. Even if not renewed, the software still works. Renewal covers updates and support. Cakewalk occasionally offers first time purchasers discounts too, like the promotion they are currently running.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 17:07:26 (permalink)
John
pwalpwal
bapu
What's a renewal cost?

So you rather pay to be a beta tester. 

er?

just a sec

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 19:57:53 (permalink)
We're wasting our time on this thread. There's a new sheriff in town that's charting the way forward for Cakewalk. Nothing's going to change their minds. Be happy if you bought lifetime, but this is no longer the little company that could. There's a definite "corporate" feel in the air. It was bound to happen if they ever expected to turn a decent profit. I guess we better suck it up and move on. 

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Anderton
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 20:40:52 (permalink)
ampfixer
We're wasting our time on this thread. There's a new sheriff in town that's charting the way forward for Cakewalk. Nothing's going to change their minds. 

With respect, the lifetime updates were extended based on community feedback. The eZine is being re-launched due to community feedback, as is the ongoing quest for better notation and easier arranging. Several people have complained that Cakewalk changes its pricing model too often, yet those changes show that minds were in fact changed. I've seen priorities change for updates based on feedback. I could go on but you get the point.

I've often said that the price of music software is simply not realistic. This is my opinion, which has zero influence over Cakewalk's pricing, but please note this was my opinion long before Gibson purchased Cakewalk. People complain that Ableton Live 9 Suite costs $800 but frankly, it should be even higher. Fortunately they have a hardware controller to add revenue. Logic was $999 (a realistic price) before Apple dropped it to $199, and essentially told MOTU "go sell hardware" and put a permanent dent in Pro Tools' sales. 

If you look at the recent history of keyboards, for several years there was a "race to the bottom" where all that mattered was price. The tradeoff was opaque user interfaces, limited support, cheap construction, and rapid obsolescence. But then the market realized a race to the bottom was doing them no favors, and customers realized that yes...you DO get what you pay for. So companies like Dave Smith Instruments and Roger Linn Design - and Yamaha, Korg, Roland, etc. - started charging more, delivering more, improving quality, and raising the bar for instruments instead of lowering it. Maybe they aren't selling as many instruments, but they are delivering a better product to customers who value that improvement and are willing to pay for it.

I've often alluded to resources in the music software world being extremely limited and that margins are extremely thin. I know what companies make, not just Cakewalk, and if you subtract what it costs to stay in business from what they make, there's not much left (if anything). That doesn't allow for moving forward, hiring more support people (there are very few companies where customers don't complain about support), or introducing new products that can take some of the pressure off existing product lines to pay the bills.

SONAR's users have a lot of wishes. Cakewalk's developers have a lot of wishes. I don't speak for Cakewalk nor do I set company policy, but its future matters to me and IMHO it's time to go big or go home. I hope Cakewalk chooses to go big, and I think that's much of what these changes are about. 

The alternative would be doing what Cakewalk did for many years prior to the acquisition, which set them on a path to irrelevance and ultimately, a descent that would lead to the company's demise - no ifs, ands, or buts about that. When Gibson rescued Cakewalk it had a second chance, and it's clear the company is not only still around, but shaking up the industry and moving forward. You may not like the direction in which they're going forward, and that's fair, but it's better than going backward.

Owners of legacy software still have until the end of the month to upgrade for a significant discount. I don't think judgments should be based on speculation about the future. Let's circle back in a year before renewal time rolls around, and judge then whether Cakewalk has delivered value commensurate with price. 

Sure, Cakewalk might blow it...that's a risk any company runs, even Apple. But I don't think that's what will happen. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 21:02:55 (permalink)
Thanks for your thoughts Craig. I think you understand what I was trying to say and your comments reinforce my thoughts. Nothing new has been said here in a while, why not just shut this thread down.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 21:59:27 (permalink)
I've trusted Cakewalk for many years and I want this product to be around in many years from now.
I may sound like a homer (fan boy) by saying this but... Give them a chance.
You never know what's going to happen in 10 years from now but From what I've seen in the past 2 years, this product is only getting better And.. the updates are fixing things, adding new features.
This doesn't sound like a company looking to cash in. This doesn't look like a company looking to fail.
It looks like a company doing its best to improve and become a better company/deliver a better product.

I'm willing to bet there will STILL BE the holiday offers and special offers.
But pricing changes all the time, including gas, food, music and yes... even software.
It's evolution and with evolution comes choices. Its up us as people to make those choices.
I use Cakewalk products (Well Sonar in particular) because it does what I want it to do and does it well.
I will continue to use any product that does what I want it to do and does it well and I'll pay that price IF I know its worth it..because I want to feel like I've got what I paid for (a good investment).

So far Cakewalk has lived up to that part of the deal. It's been a good investment.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Anderton
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/13 22:34:59 (permalink)
ampfixer
Thanks for your thoughts Craig. I think you understand what I was trying to say and your comments reinforce my thoughts. Nothing new has been said here in a while, why not just shut this thread down.

Your wish is granted! Thanks.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1