Helpful ReplyThe SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers

Page: << < ..11 Showing page 11 of 11
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/28 02:10:33 (permalink)
Pretty perceptive post there. IMHO what turned things around for MS was when they replaced the desktop team with the mobile team. The desktop team couldn't figure out how to get small, but the mobile team could figure out how to get big.

MS is looking pretty good these days...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/28 02:33:24 (permalink)
cparmerlee
That certainly is a possibility, but IMHO, Apple long ago decided the whole world wants everything to exist on screens that are no more than 1/4" thick and 10" on diagonal -- and seriously, keyboards and mice are so 1980. 

Certainly there are many things humans want to do that work well with such a format.  There might even be some mini-DAW cases where that is a good thing.  But I do not believe that anybody in any position of authority at Apple appreciates that there are some applications that really do work best with big, powerful desktop platforms and lots of glass.

You've not yet seen a 27" 5K Retina iMac yet then? Or even the 4K that's been around for quite a while? Or noticed you can hook up additional screens to any Mac apart possibly from the socket-light MacBook.

The iMac Pro that's been announced as launching in December looks interesting as well. Probably cost a fortune though. It will be interesting to see if the very long in the tooth and very expensive "wastebin" style Mac Pro is the last of a separate "Pro" line from the iMacs.

Incidentally, a high-quality 10" or thereabouts screen built into a very portable tablet is pretty good for lots of the "everyday" computing stuff most people use computers for. Apple got into the tablet market early and have captured a pretty big chunk of it. Portable computers - even phone sized portable computers - are very much where a lot of the market is these days. MS were slow into that market, possibly because they don't sell hardware as the major part of their business model, and are playing catch-up in many ways. Interestingly, the MS decision to make desktop Windows 8 onwards look and behave like an overgrown very easy to use tablet with the "traditional desktop" functions playing second fiddle to the wonders of screen-filling menu tiles and "apps" isn't a route Apple decided to go down, MacOS is very much still a desktop Unix (well, FreeBSD) based OS.

I wouldn't write Apple off yet. Nor MS for that matter. Both systems have strengths and weaknesses.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/28 11:45:22 (permalink)
cparmerlee Under Ballmer's watch, he pushed Microsoft to believe that people actually wanted desktop machines to work exactly like phones, and that whole "Metro" app thing almost did Microsoft in. (I am talking the end user side of Microsoft.  The "corporate" side was always strong, anchored by SQL server and related products.)

But it does seem that Microsoft has learned an important lesson.  That is, while desktops may not be sexy or a high growth area, they are vital to a large number of applications and failure in that area reflects badly on everything else Microsoft tries to do.  Not coincidentally, about the same time, Microsoft figured out nobody even wanted phones to work the way Microsoft envisioned them, let alone forcing that framework on the desktop systems.

i know, metro, wtf were they thinking?? especially when there's only 3 people in the whole world who use windows phone... idiots... thank goodness they turned it around

just a sec

bbbisser
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/08/11 18:14:30 (permalink)
Prototype is disaster . I ll never go back to Sonar . 
eikelbijter
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1002
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/08/11 18:17:49 (permalink)
tlw
cparmerlee

The iMac Pro that's been announced as launching in December looks interesting as well. Probably cost a fortune though. It will be interesting to see if the very long in the tooth and very expensive "wastebin" style Mac Pro is the last of a separate "Pro" line from the iMacs.

iMac Pro...LOL!

Xeon E3-1231V3, 16GB RAM, 480GB 840EVO SSD, MOTU 2480MK3, 424PCI w/ Sonar Platinum
Dell XPS 18, i5, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD+128GB SSD, Roland VS-100 w/ Sonar Platinum

Dell XPS 13, i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB 840EVO SSD, Zoom UAC-2, Sonar Platinum

http://www.RicoBelled.com/

Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/08/11 18:56:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RSMCGUITAR 2017/09/17 03:52:13
bbbisser
Prototype is disaster . I ll never go back to Sonar . 

Your two posts were truly memorable. No doubt you'll be missed.

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Virtuon
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/06 12:27:38 (permalink)
Looks like not very succesfull port with virtual windows environment (or sth like that?)
Bugs were noticed:
1. Can't rename track. (hotkeys always pressed)
2. No event list (alt + 8)?
pwalpwal
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/06 12:38:07 (permalink)
yeah... what on earth were they thinking?

just a sec

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/06 15:43:05 (permalink)
This thread is like Jon Snow.

Just when you thought he was dead, his eyes open again.
jimkleban
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/16 14:35:38 (permalink)
I feel bad for anyone who purchased a MAC thinking that someday they could run SONAR on it?

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
Apollo Duo (via TB)
UAD Quad
UAD Duo
WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
Splat (latest version)
hayesf
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/16 14:44:49 (permalink)
Good to be informed and appreciate the honesty.
Well no mac for me then !

www.unforgivenband.co.uk

Sonar Platinum, Dell windows 10 64bit, intel i7-4770, 12GB ram, 2TB hard drive.  Roland Quad Capture
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/16 14:55:46 (permalink)
jimkleban
I feel bad for anyone who purchased a MAC thinking that someday they could run SONAR on it?

I feel sorry for anyone who bought a Mac - full stop! The truth is Cake thought they had found a simple, cost-effective way of porting for Mac, but it didn't work. To do a full port for Mac would be very time-consuming and expensive. We would get very little in the way of monthly updates while it was going on, and there may be very little uptake from Mac users once it's done, meaning that Cake would have lost a whole load of money and time. At a time when Mac users are in decline, it would be a huge mistake for Cakewalk to put any more resources into this. So they have been sensible and pulled the plug. There's nothing more to say on this thread really.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
pwalpwal
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/16 15:09:37 (permalink)
it was a crazy (crazy!) idea right from the get-go... i wonder who at cake (or roland at the time) thought it was do-able??

just a sec

Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/16 15:28:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kevinwal 2017/09/21 00:29:16
jimkleban

Don't feel bad....

I've been running Sonar on a mac for many years now. I'm far too poor to have decided on this path, but I was gifted a couple of mac pro's in a row. Currently dual xeon 6-cores (12 total) and 64G RAM....

I run Windows 8.1 (limited by hardware/software situation) via bootcamp. Sonar runs like a charm here and I never think about it... The machine boots directly to windows and I have all that power available and working well... I barely see my cores move in the display and use less than 10% of my RAM on a typical project...

As to running it directly under OSX? Not an issue for me as I've never cared for OSX and still do not. I rarely boot into my mac side and I'm never happy when there...

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/16 17:39:30 (permalink)
Oh and I learnt ...it is possible to make a PC run OSX...depending on the hardware...So, might go there to fix the x99s and see what happens when the RMA of my boards comes to reason it out.

Hackintosh!....whoop!.

Now I am not a fan boy for MAC...I just wanted something that would work with my invested interests of gear I bought already.

Unfortunately...MS has been behind most of my builds in PC form....no wonder so many bugs until...was it Xp and win 7....Since windows and windows 95....Well how much money is in that sold as OS marketing for bugs ...save save save...and blue screens and such , loss of productivity....Got a gripe, solved some problems, got a lot of people coding apps for...Pushed to vista...for a unknown reason..and then 7, to find some bliss depending on what is needed to be done...then win 8, and 8.1 to fix some of,...and pushed to 10, some willingly, some not but finding it upon them regardless...

Now, when this occurs ..And updates follow, and you know not how to , or where they moved things, or how to address the tools or switches...and the machine will not boot...and the bios is buggy....

Something went wrong with the OS and drivers.

Old gear is old gear...New gear is?...X99....Now when new gear is not so developed, but you paid for the new....And the new OS, is not designed or, it makes a mistake putting in something that is not addressing the workings of proper....It can break the machine it is put on.

Now, if I took a MS OS...and tried to install this on a MAC...it would not work...although it is a OS...most likely because in the cab files, the mappings of the machine are not available in the cabs....so, as said, when installing all standard drivers should work on..or of older known hardware, is put....But newer Hardware is questionable at best.

This is where, a unknown should be put in devices..
But MS wants to put a standard chipset, and perhaps a standard memory allocation, and perhaps standard video card and sound drivers...with Sata and such...surely to work with.

Then getting those things setup.

Install the latest drivers and firmware...bios..and such first....might make OS be out of date in cab resources...So while MS OS sets up the base, I am sure it checks for internet connection and installs a basic driver for it....So while installation is happening...it might find device drivers applicable for the new gear and drivers for...But it installed a basic Internet connection driver to do so?

Now from my experience with issues and internet onboard nics...I have always witnessed issues with audio devices.

Perhaps that might be one of the problems...MS is doing when installing its OS to the machine...which then his a hidden driver first put...(and the user puts a secondary when booted for the first time)...and it is not properly removed parts of the first driver MS put into use...So, I get a conflict with the Mother Board driver from the Manufacturer....

So...MS is a bit screwy here.

MS is not the only OS for PC...  That was my Point...So many use Linux..even Dos is a OS...most are based upon.

Even Gem is a OS...and someone bought out the other one someone was making for audio...To snuff it!

BEOS.

So do not be fooled by those saying MS is top dog in PC land...for it is not as they say either!

Just saying...I put it in the sticky when, and if any remember...if it is still there?....not my doing!

Put the daw on any other OS for PC parts....might improve the reliable stable aspect more so...Even on MAC...if possible, or make one OS to run the Application alone....Liken Korg's Kronos is running on Linux based...it has a sequencer, and 16 tracks of audio, has a PC motherboard...memory and a ssd....interesting saying it can be done.....why is it not done as a back up plan?...We all know to save save save the day...but if the install breaks down on MS OS and does not boot...and then is tied to the update and wait, if not updates are there....makes all the MS OS backups redundant.....So, where to bat man?....Back to the bat cave Robin...Eh?

So as to make many versions on many platforms....Might save a day..and get something done....

Now if the update breaks the machine...And I fixed a few laptops brought to me because of MS windows 10 just installing on their machines without their permissions.....Which, MS was to evaluate before installing any part or prime Premise ....But did do the dirty deed....Then, I regret to say, this is mandated sabotage of many!

I did say...It is not CW fault...and I stand by that most dearly!

It is not the only OS that runs PC parts!...So let us stop the fibs...and we can see sabotage of other OS makers bought out by...so they are on top...but do not deserve that place, if....They put bugs into on purpose, and then sell technical support for....Because no one can figure it out.

Now if I let them try to undo what they did do...And they cannot do it....How can anyone else?
I got the chat and sessions saved on some...of the remote views....MS did do, and CW tried to set up....Still no glory.

How the hell am I supposed to fix it?...And they say, you have to wait until we fix it here....Well, sold as win 10 pro I bought when the free thing was being pushed down the pipe.

So, it is not ready for release...But they release it, and sell it...with Bugs in it, and if not...they sure sent some down that pipe line...When I know I selected, let me decide when to install any updates.

Seems that got reset...and a lot of other things went to default...

Now that is not nice at all...and the spooling and sending...and turning my machine into game platform is not what I wanted it for....They did soon after.

Insulting my understanding of what a OS should be...is now a storefront into my home!
One thing different with this store....It seems MS store does not return what they sell...and if it breaks anything in your home, they cannot be held liable for.
But if you break their code...You can be?

That is what is going on!....fare?..Nope, and it cost, and cost and cost much broken gear...so more is bought!

Cash cow....No matter how you spin it...That is exactly what it is on all side really....

So what works...is the way..if it does not work...you have to find a solution to problem.

Now,...in my understanding of what makes music...Machine really has no part to play in that...If I live, I can play music without a machine, and make music written down on paper with a pencil or other mediums....People make things...people breaks things...but in all honesty ...it does not have to be, as they market it to be paid....and you need not pay...if you have more so more ways to make it freely so done...If it be the way to making it proper as music...

Now a good scribe, that does not lie or make changes to..or screwup what is done....so it stays as done right...needs be?.

Well that is why we have memory in our own designed bodies of Brains.

But, If I sign a agreement to use, something, and it is supposed to be proper when sold as a OPERATING SYSTEM PROPER...AND THE APPS TO RUN ON IT, ALSO SOLD SAYING IT WORKS WITH.

And then, only on internet connections , are the techs put of users...and a phone number to call.
What if non of these things are available when bought?

well snail mail?.

again all the tweaks and try this or try that...eh?

I wonder if, it is just a shamoo.....seems like it is?...or is it?

Well another well to do thread...about nothing important...and no one likes what I post....Because he said...They hated me before they hated you for saying it like it is.

And, some might agree, or find a witnessing....exactly what I said has happened....No one could double or redo, so it is not as I said?...And then, they say what I said...and some say they like what he said...but not what I said...which is the same thing.

MS windows is causing issues with many things!....Why?...so yo go buy more things...more things..more buying!

And that is all it is about.

I said so!

So what is being done is, you are depending on machines to do...what you can do with out them already.

He said you have conquered them, for it is already in you, how to be the machine, was solved...God made Humans to do all things!

Don't forget that truth people!....Trust worthy and true!....Is the method!

Cheers!

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
timp410
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/16 18:11:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/09/16 20:17:50
MountainKing
Unbelievable.

Now I have to say: I want my money back. I'm not on Windows at all.

How would that work? Any hints from the officials?

Don't let your trustful customers alone. I's not a good business behaviour by any means. Period.

I'm sure there are a lot of users that wish they could buy your lifetime membership from you. You mean to tell us that you bought a lifetime membership on a promise for a Alpha version...incredible! 

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.4 GHZ LGA 1150 8 MB Cache
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series 600 Watt
Video: EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR3 64-bit
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP
Steinberg UR44
E-MU 1820M
Edirol UA-25EX
M-Audio Midisport 4x4
Sir Les
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/16 18:25:12 (permalink)
Oh one more thing he said..."I give you everything"...I surely ponder it more so as Thank You lord...for those Gifts given me....sow , till and make more of the givens...freely sowed, freely harvested, freely in good tidings...freely restored...is a way...said was...was not...but is to come!....No worries eh?...rub rub...a dub!...what is falling now?...or are they getting ready to make fall....is all tied to something bent and wicked...He said he did not make!

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

Hangdog Cat
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/16 19:38:54 (permalink)
I just want to make some music, and my PC running Sonar does that just fine, the occasional hiccup notwithstanding. Esoteric debates and wordy diatribes are a waste of time.

I'm very pleased with the current direction of Cakewalk, and while I understand some peoples' disappointment on the Mac front, I'm also pleased that Cakewalk will be concentrating on what they do best rather that spreading themselves too thin.

YMMV

Never do more in the morning than you can undo in the afternoon.

Computer: Creation Station CS450 V3 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
Windows 10: Latest update
Audio Interface: RME Fireface UFX
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/16 20:20:52 (permalink)
timp410
You mean to tell us that you bought a lifetime membership on a promise for a Alpha version...incredible! 

I know its not funny, more bizarre if anything. but this ^^^  is so true.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

timp410
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/16 20:29:40 (permalink)
chuckebaby
timp410
You mean to tell us that you bought a lifetime membership on a promise for a Alpha version...incredible! 

I have read several complaints but his complaint stuck out as being as you have stated "bizarre"!

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.4 GHZ LGA 1150 8 MB Cache
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series 600 Watt
Video: EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR3 64-bit
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP
Steinberg UR44
E-MU 1820M
Edirol UA-25EX
M-Audio Midisport 4x4
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/17 01:29:10 (permalink)
Apparently Keni has a "Mac Version" of SONAR that runs just fine...as do many other people.

The days of PPC are over. If you want to make music, get an appliance and run SONAR on it. Doesn't matter if the appliance has a Mac logo or something else.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
cparmerlee
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/17 03:32:54 (permalink)
chuckebaby

These are the same people that will evidently pay $1000 for a phone.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Sir Les
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/17 08:20:32 (permalink)
How many other people are saying bugs are happening?...count them yet?
Oh and what constitutes Sonar Alpha as a Platinum?...if it is not all ...then it is not ported proper all as...is on one, is on the other working as ....

that is why you cannot say Mr Anderton it is a Mac version of SONAR...as it is not....see how we lie and do not even see we do?.

That is what makes this solving for so hard.

They will not admit it....just to save face some do...not knowing they do, and some say...because it pays them to say it..and some believe in the lies told more so then the truth....

Carry on our wayward sons (and daughters all getting ills and worries in the world of flesh, and organ removal sold, with the blood and waters tainting, and the dome being sabotaged , so it is not blue, and good deeded needed now doctors injecting in the dumb dumb juice, to make seedless and sterilize many, for more selling of seeds to one ideal anti so you have not even a seed to sow , not letting the other be untainted with seed or sin,..in them, there will be peace when sins are gone....and it is as he said...seeds in them fruits be...)
Lay your weary head to rest,...Don't you cry no more....

So what is Anti...is happening!

But they do not believe, because they do not believe it could be?...But is!

RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/17 08:22:37 (permalink)
Captain Logic swoops in and saves the day.
JCB
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/17 14:47:50 (permalink)
kzmaier
Very pleased with the commitment to the windows platform!!!

Doing one platform great is much better than 2 platforms not so...

My sentiments completely. Thank you Cakewalk for showing transparency and honesty. I look forward to the future with much more confidence in Cakewalk / Sonar. I think the future is bright for music / PC / Windows / Sonar.

JCB

Sonar Platinum 64 bit; Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz; 16GB DDR4 RAM; Asus Z170-A with Asus Thunderbolt EX 2/Dual; Win10 64 Bit; Focusrite Clarett 4Pre (Thunderbolt)
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/18 11:41:32 (permalink)
jimkleban
I feel bad for anyone who purchased a MAC 

Fixed 

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/18 12:47:41 (permalink)
pwalpwal
it was a crazy (crazy!) idea right from the get-go... i wonder who at cake (or roland at the time) thought it was do-able??

I do not think Codewavers approach was crazy:
a) I run X2/X3 under Linux/Wine. The beta runs under OSX/Wine and it works. I hope someone someday understand why Platinum silently exit in that environment (my current guess - the copy protection introduces in Platinum...). Not as good as "native", some glitches, but it works. So, it is doable!
b) all multi-platform plug-ins/programs are compiled from the same code. They usually use specialized API behind, but Codewavers have made a big part of standard Windows API behave like a multi-planform API. So the approach itself technically proved to be quite usable.

I wish someone from CW continues with the approach. May be not official, but in general working under Linux/OSX Sonar can be handy (f.e. quick open something without reboot for users, trace behavior in completely different environment for devs). And I do not think that is extremely time consuming, especially if codewavers direct relations are not dropped. 

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/20 19:17:07 (permalink)
I read most of the replies in this thread, but not all so maybe this was already mentioned. Any time you port any application from one platform to another, you have to take into account that the other platform does things differently and requires different optimizations. If your application does anything remotely real-time or high performance (e.g. a game or DAW), and you don't code specifically for that platform, it will almost always be sub-par.

One can see some of this in Melodyne for Windows. The UI is horribly sluggish compared to the Mac version. There is absolutely no reason why the "blobs" should be redrawing at the slow rate they are, even on a fast computer with high end graphics. This is not because Windows can't handle fast graphics, just that Melodyne is graphically optimized for the way the Mac's graphics works, and then some way is used to "port" that same code to Windows. The fact that the menus are Mac-like shows Celemony doesn't bother developing code the way it is supposed to work on each platform. The end result is sub-par (although I do like Melodyne a lot, just that it could have been better).

Since it seems CW also didn't want to go the route of doing a proper port, the decision to no longer support the Mac was probably the right one.

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/20 23:00:14 (permalink)
During the era of PowerPC + OS9 vs Intel DOS/Windows 95 vs Something + Uni*, I could agree. But today the hardware is effectively the same, memory model and process scheduling, driven by the platform, has also merged between Linux/BSD/Windows. The graphics, while still having historical roots in a bit different approaches of X servers, Win32 API, etc. also has common factors, again driven by the same hardware capabilities.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/09/21 00:42:12 (permalink)
I'll agree with you to the extent that the hardware is pretty much standardized now, but the programming models are wildly different. Ironically, if you're doing  your UI in graphics primitives you're in better shape than if you're using a sophisticated UI framework like WPF. Microsoft has been busy moving the .NET platform to open source but so far they've made no announcements that I'm aware of to open source any XAML-based frameworks. If they did it would be a huge step forward.

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
Page: << < ..11 Showing page 11 of 11
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1