Helpful ReplyThe SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 11
Author
Lance Riley [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 337
2017/04/19 14:59:46 (permalink)

The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers

Several months ago, we promised to deliver a SONAR Mac Alpha. To build it, we collaborated with a company called CodeWeavers. CodeWeavers has a technology called CrossOver that is basically a Windows-to-Mac translator, allowing native Windows applications to run on a Mac.

Together, Cakewalk and CodeWeavers used CrossOver to enable a native Windows version of SONAR Home Studio to run on a Mac. We’ve packaged this product for release as a SONAR Mac Prototype, available now as a free download to all who are interested.

Since our initial announcement of this product, we’ve learned three important lessons.

First, building this SONAR Mac Prototype took more effort than we had hoped or expected. There has been a constant stream of UI/UX details, and performance tweaks to resolve -- just to deliver this initial prototype.

Second, we should have been more transparent with the Cakewalk community about this initiative; and set clearer expectations. We have recently made some organizational changes that we hope will improve our ability to communicate in a more effective and timely manner.

Third, we realized that trying to bring the full SONAR experience to the Mac would take away from what we do best - create the world's finest software for the Windows platform. With Microsoft's renewed commitment to creative applications for Windows, we've been able to accomplish several important improvements in the past few months.

In November 2016 we launched SONAR Home Studio, the first DAW to support WASAPI shared mode using Microsoft’s low latency API, resulting in latencies as low as 3 ms on supported devices (10 msec otherwise).

In January 2016, we appeared on stage at CES with Avid, Microsoft, and Autodesk for Dell’s announcement of their new Canvas product, highlighting what musicians will soon be able to accomplish with large-screen touch interfaces built for their Windows PCs.

In March 2017, we released a SONAR update to become the first Windows DAW to support Bluetooth MIDI controllers natively, stemming from a close collaboration with Microsoft.

In fact, Cakewalk has a long history of innovations on the Windows platform, from being the first DAW to natively support 64-bit Windows, to the first DAW to support Windows Touch, to a patent-pending plug-in load balancing solution.

Next month marks Cakewalk’s 30th anniversary, a major milestone in our industry. We’ll be celebrating every month, looking at our past, present and future, with stories, free content and additional innovations.

We are proud to continue our investment in SONAR as the leading DAW for the Windows platform. The SONAR Mac Prototype is the end of the line for SONAR on the Mac.

One more thing… (couldn’t resist the Steve Jobs reference) while we’re not going to bring the SONAR product line to the Mac, we have begun to explore new ideas and initiatives that will reach more musicians on more platforms than ever before, and we’re all very excited about our future!

So, stay tuned...and let's make some noise together!

To Download:
http://www.cakewalk.com/products/sonar-mac-prototype

Some Known Issues with SONAR Mac Prototype:
    - SONAR Mac Prototype uses more CPU resources than the Windows version
    - Toast Notifications do not appear for plug-in scanning or authorization status
    - Style Dial plug-ins do not draw correctly after reloading a project
    - Alt + Delete Key on Mac required to Edit | Delete
    - The Track icon appearance is distorted or pixelated
    - SONAR Start Screen does not display project images

Lance Riley
Product Manager
easyjoey
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 237
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 15:02:47 (permalink)
Its unfortunate that this will not progress further but I understand.

www.soundcloud.com/angryredplanet

Sonar Platinum, Core i7 950, 6 gig RAM, Win7 64, Echo Layla 24 PCI sound card, MOTU 8x8 / Moog Voyager / Moog Sub37 / Access Virus B / Access Virus TI2 Polar / Roland V-Synth / Elektron Analog Four / DSI Tempest / DSI Pro 2 / Waldorf Q / Roland XV-3080
gustabo
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 15:07:48 (permalink)
So no SMac, huh?

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

markust5775
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 15:13:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/04/19 18:41:45
Well, that's disappointing. I guess Mac users are either going to install boot camp (I'm not) or use another DAW (I will). Thanks for trying. Not sure what is in the future for reaching musicians on more platforms than ever before, but if Mac isn't included, I suppose I'm out.
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 15:14:50 (permalink)
Sad pony. :-(

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
Makzimia
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 258
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 15:23:21 (permalink)
Expected, and sad..

Tony Carpenter
Castille Productions
Sonar Platinum//Cubase 10 Pro//Logic Pro X 
Mac Pro Dual Xeon 6 core 3.46ghz
32GB RAM
UA Apollo Quad FireWire, UAD2 Quad, X-touch, NI 12 Ultimate Collectors, Montage 7

Brad Russell
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 15:27:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/04/19 18:41:54
Well, that's disappointing.

Brad Russell 
www.bradrussellmusic.org

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 15:32:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby snookerc 2017/04/19 23:26:15
I think it was the right decision, especially with the current discontentment with the Mac among audio professionals. Apple is promising great things for desktops in 2018 but with no specifics, so who knows...

However, I've installed the prototype, and it's pretty cool that I can start a project on my MacBook Pro, then bring it over to my music computer as a .cwp file. This will also open up opportunities for the people with whom I collaborate if they'll be able to download the Mac version without having to sign up for SONAR.

So bottom line...will be very disappointing to some, irrelevant to others, yet still useful for cross-platform SONAR users such as myself. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 15:33:03 (permalink)
Too bad. Good thing I'm feeling at home in Logic. Great initiative, sorry to see it didn't work out.

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
karhide
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 457
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 15:36:52 (permalink)
I liked the idea of a Mac version but at the moment I'm more interested in what Microsoft are doing with the Surface Studio and the Surface Dial.  It feels like Apple seem to have lost their edge and are not bothered about the creative types just iphone and ipad sales.  

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

http://www.karhide.co.uk/
https://karhide.bandcamp.com
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 15:48:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2017/04/20 13:14:34
Post(s) removed at the insistence that I have not contributed to the conversation.
post edited by bapu - 2017/04/24 21:49:08
Anderton
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 15:56:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby karhide 2017/04/19 16:05:14
karhide
I liked the idea of a Mac version but at the moment I'm more interested in what Microsoft are doing with the Surface Studio and the Surface Dial.  It feels like Apple seem to have lost their edge and are not bothered about the creative types just iphone and ipad sales.  

I think a lot of people share your sentiment, however when Cakewalk was first looking into doing a Mac version I think it was assumed Apple would put a new push on the Mac for creative types. That's not happening, at least for now...I can't blame Apple, the cell phone market dwarfs any other Apple product lines. You gotta go where the market is, and the reality is it's not pro audio.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 15:57:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SiberianKhatru59 2017/04/20 15:49:23
Very pleased with the commitment to the windows platform!!!

Doing one platform great is much better than 2 platforms not so...

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 15:58:15 (permalink)
Thanks for the update Lance. No doubt a tough but I believe right decision - Sonar has come so far as a windows DAW, especially in the last couple of years. Looking forward to a bright future!

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
blazingedgepro
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:04:08 (permalink)
While I'm disappointed that there won't be a fully-functioning Mac version of Sonar, I am perfectly content to continue using Windows via Boot Camp on my Mac. If the Sonar Mac Prototype just allows me to plug in an audio interface and record something, then that's all I really need it do. Mainly that I can take my 15" MacBook Pro on the road and record environmental effects using macOS's integrated graphics and save battery over the discrete AMD graphics that Windows is forced to use. Then hopefully I can migrate said recordings over to the Windows side for mixing.

Shayne
ibanex8
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:08:14 (permalink)
I've used Sonar since the 5th version, and with the release of X3 and Platinum it became my most favorite DAW. Since moving to mac, the mac version sounded very promising to me. I feel disappointed that its the end of the line for Sonar Mac. I'm thankful that you've released this prototype version, and would be even more amazing if it would support my vst and vst3 plugins, and instrument. But after all I guess this would be a farewell to Sonar for me. I loved you. 
Anderton
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:16:36 (permalink)
ibanex8
I've used Sonar since the 5th version, and with the release of X3 and Platinum it became my most favorite DAW. Since moving to mac, the mac version sounded very promising to me. I feel disappointed that its the end of the line for Sonar Mac. I'm thankful that you've released this prototype version, and would be even more amazing if it would support my vst and vst3 plugins, and instrument. But after all I guess this would be a farewell to Sonar for me. I loved you. 

There's always boot camp and programs like Parallels. I know it's not the same thing as a native Mac version, but it's the solution for a lot of people who want to use Windows software with Mac hardware.

THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:20:41 (permalink)
A translation of code from $Windows to $Mac does never work. Possibly for a office software.
Two teams had to work parallel together, one for Windows, one for Mac with different code. I think that protools works in this way.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:25:29 (permalink)
I have a Macbook Pro 2016 too. Yes me of all people. I did not buy it it was given to me anonymously. I did want to try Sonar on it when it was available. So this is great news as well as bad news.  I wont go into my take on Macs but its nice to have Home Studio on the Mac.  Thanks CW!

The good part about a Mac is the built in sound is quite good. 

In the end I have nothing to gripe about. 

Best
John
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:27:06 (permalink)
I hope the people who were banking on a Mac version don't take this the wrong way but I'm glad, I feel this is the right decision, Sonar would have to be half price and still step up its game to get people to move from Logic.

I've also been vocal at times about the lack of communication on this topic so I just wanted to add I really appreciate such a candid and elaborate explanation, delivered when it was announced it would be. I'm happy with the way Sonar is progressing. And there's more time for ripple editing development now! ;)
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:27:06 (permalink)
While I do not care about Mac version, there was some hope such development will force to revise core components... And CodeWavers approach means that was not the plan (IMHO correct accoutrement a year ago had to be "we try to run Sonar on Mac" and not "Sonar for Mac". I personally hope to understand why current Sonar does not run on Linux (X2 and X3 do). But I will never call the result "Sonar for Linux").

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Dave76
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 171
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:28:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SiberianKhatru59 2017/04/20 15:50:30
When this was originally announced, I knew from years of software experience (including Mac/Windows ports) that maintaining both a Mac and Windows version would likely end up hurting the Windows version in the long run.  I'm happy to see that Cakewalk changed their minds on this!
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:33:25 (permalink)
blazingedgepro
While I'm disappointed that there won't be a fully-functioning Mac version of Sonar, I am perfectly content to continue using Windows via Boot Camp on my Mac. If the Sonar Mac Prototype just allows me to plug in an audio interface and record something, then that's all I really need it do. Mainly that I can take my 15" MacBook Pro on the road and record environmental effects using macOS's integrated graphics and save battery over the discrete AMD graphics that Windows is forced to use. Then hopefully I can migrate said recordings over to the Windows side for mixing.

Shayne

You could also use GarageBand or basically any audio recorder for this, right?
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:40:01 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
I hope the people who were banking on a Mac version don't take this the wrong way but I'm glad, I feel this is the right decision, Sonar would have to be half price and still step up its game to get people to move from Logic.

I've also been vocal at times about the lack of communication on this topic so I just wanted to add I really appreciate such a candid and elaborate explanation, delivered when it was announced it would be. I'm happy with the way Sonar is progressing. And there's more time for ripple editing development now! ;)

I have to agree with every thing said here. 

Best
John
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:40:55 (permalink)
I love my MacBook Air but, even though I have Logic Pro X and Ableton Live on it, I really use it primarily for my photography (Lightroom & Photoshop), surfing the web, and some document production. I still use Sonar on my desktop PC for 99% of my music work, so I'm not really that disappointed in the discontinuation of Sonar for Mac, although it might have been nice for the *very* occasional mobile recording use.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

JayCee99
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 353
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:42:24 (permalink)
I think this is the right approach.  It was good that Cakewalk gave it a try. . . you don't know how difficult it is until you get into the details I'm sure.  I was also concerned that a Mac version would fragment the Cakewalk resources and the Windows version would suffer.

Sonar Platinum
Audio Interface: Focusrite 18i8 ASIO Interface 
Keys: Korg Kronos 88, Alesis VI25
Windows 8.1 x64 Laptop, 8GB RAM, i7 CPU
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:47:40 (permalink)
Post removed at the insistence that I have not contributed to the conversation.
post edited by bapu - 2017/04/24 17:13:04
Lance Riley [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 337
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:52:01 (permalink)
azslow3
While I do not care about Mac version, there was some hope such development will force to revise core components... And CodeWavers approach means that was not the plan (IMHO correct accoutrement a year ago had to be "we try to run Sonar on Mac" and not "Sonar for Mac". I personally hope to understand why current Sonar does not run on Linux (X2 and X3 do). But I will never call the result "Sonar for Linux").

Part of our decision to do this is to focus more on Windows and keep improving on our core functionality but also to focus on innovating in the Windows space. Continuing to work with CodeWeavers on this version was ultimately going to hinder us from innovating in the Windows space and going fully native would have done so even more. While it was a hard decision to do this I'm excited to get back to what we do best, Make SONAR the best DAW on Windows. 

Lance Riley
Product Manager
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:52:43 (permalink)
congratulations but also commiserations, thanks for letting us know (haven't read the thread yet, off out to see the jesus and mary chain)

just a sec

bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/19 16:54:54 (permalink)
Well I'll be hoodwinked!

Congrats bakers.
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 11
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1