Helpful ReplyThe SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 11
Author
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 20:42:30 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Keni

Anyone notice that the ownership data in help for the prototype shows a 1 year ownership?

Did I read that correctly? This version will only bo good for 1 year?

I hope that's not right....

It's not time-limited - as long as nothing breaks in Mac OS X, it'll continue to work.

So six months then?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Somebody please put a fork in this thread.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 20:49:12 (permalink)
ampfixer
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]

It's not time-limited - as long as nothing breaks in Mac OS X, it'll continue to work.

So six months then?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Somebody please put a fork in this thread.

I dunno, that was pretty funny. It was worth keeping the thread open just for that.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 21:30:32 (permalink)
brconflict
Is the prototype abandonware (never liked that term), or is it going to still see fixes for issues uncovered up to that 1-year? I wouldn't mind using it, if I can get it running on my Mac.

It's just a prototype - a one-time release. It's not officially supported, and it's unlikely we'll be updating it.

Alex Westner
VP Product Strategy & Innovation

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 22:48:42 (permalink)
Now it's time to close this thread before Sir Les comes back (or me).
jb101
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/28 00:46:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/04/28 14:05:32
bapu
Now it's time to close this thread before Sir Les comes back (or me).

Is it only me?

Could Bapu and Sir Les be one and the same?

THE FACTS:

1 - It is not often that you see both of them together in the same thread..

(This thread may be a cunning attempt at a cover up, like Batman getting Albert to dress up in the Bat Costume.)

2 - Their post counts both increase rapidly, with little or no intelligible content..

Hmmm..

Maybe not..  "Word Count" appears to matter to Sir Les in a BIG way, rather than just "Post Count".

I think we should be told..

Sonar Platinum
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/28 01:41:30 (permalink)
Rain
Most Mac owners I know don't really care for the latest/fastest. 

The very definition of self evident:) Sorry. I'll go now.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Markubl2
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/28 01:42:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/04/28 14:04:37
azslow3

I normally read his posts and sometimes I even think I understand the meaning (at least partially).
But just imagine you are working as phone support and he is calling...

I may be the minority, but I try to read and understand Sir Les' posts.  I actually think he writes all the lyrics for Dream Theater....
SoulSurvivor
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/28 02:16:55 (permalink)
Hi, if this Sonar Home Studio monstrosity is in fact what Cakewalk has been working on and not just a convenient excuse, how come Cakewalk made a video promoting Sonar4Mac showing Sonar Platinum running on a Mac? You will plainly see this in the video, it is obviously Platinum, if you need anymore proof just pause the video where you can see a full shot of Sonar and you can see SONAR Platinum in the title bar. Maybe this Home Studio thing is just to head off any negative backlash and just a ploy after all, seems a bit suspicious to me. is the link to the video, or just search Sonar OS X Alpha on youtube. I imagine there will be many weird and wonderful excuses and reasonings for this, but it seems fishy to me
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/28 02:29:41 (permalink)
SoulSurvivor
Hi, if this Sonar Home Studio monstrosity is in fact what Cakewalk has been working on and not just a convenient excuse, how come Cakewalk made a video promoting Sonar4Mac showing Sonar Platinum running on a Mac? You will plainly see this in the video, it is obviously Platinum, if you need anymore proof just pause the video where you can see a full shot of Sonar and you can see SONAR Platinum in the title bar. Maybe this Home Studio thing is just to head off any negative backlash and just a ploy after all, seems a bit suspicious to me. is the link to the video, or just search Sonar OS X Alpha on youtube. I imagine there will be many weird and wonderful excuses and reasonings for this, but it seems fishy to me

I watched the video as well and didn't see platinum at all but I did hear them say; (and I quote)

"There will be restrictions to native plug ins and core audio devices"

I understand your frustration but just let it go man. you can dissect this all you want but in the end, it is what it is.
We have choices. We can either dig in and use Cakewalk on a PC or move on and use something else on a MAC.
Anyway, welcome to the forum and best wishes.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/28 05:32:55 (permalink)
FWIW, I finally had the opportunity to test it with my "old" Focusrite Scarlett, and it works fine, both for recording and playback.

It does seem prone to graphic corruption and glitches, but having not worked with the PC version, I can't say if it's an issue with this prototype. Actually, that kind of behaviour reminded me of the good old days of working with Sonar on a PC. :P

Of course, this could also be due to the fact that I'm running it on an older MacBook Pro. Still, that's a type of glitch I practically never encounter with other apps.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/28 12:03:07 (permalink)
SoulSurvivor

This was explained before. Its mainly related to plugins and the amount we could physically test for the prototype. Platinum has a huge set of features and third party stuff. Also we couldn't release a free alpha of platinum with all the plugins without incurring licensing issues. 

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
otnooishphoo
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/05/07 19:06:32 (permalink)
well, glad i didn't waste any money on the lifetime thing in hope of getting a mac version.
crossover?  sigh.. i could do that myself with sonar and wine.. thanks.

5Sarge
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/05/22 07:54:12 (permalink)
Gotta say I am disappointed but guess I understand. I started with Cakewalk and went to Sonar Pro Studio. I then switched to an iMac and started learning Garageband. If nothing else, the prototype allowed me to export the tracks from my recordings to wave files and import them to GarageBand. Guess its GarageBand from now on. I do miss Sonar but not Windows. You can do some pretty amazing things with GarageBand.
jamesattfield
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/14 23:32:32 (permalink)
otnooishphoo
well, glad i didn't waste any money on the lifetime thing in hope of getting a mac version.
crossover?  sigh.. i could do that myself with sonar and wine.. thanks.

+1 - I was tempted with the lifetime thing, been with Sonar since v2 but am not surprised that Cakewalk has bailed even though many others seem to manage the duality of platforms. I'm soooo pleased I decided to sack off Windows and move to Mac and now it seems that the move to Reaper was also the right decision. Good luck with Windows, I've been with it since the very first, but now it's just an ugly slug. BTW the new Mac's look fantastic, the Pro versions even more so. All my interfaces which wouldn't work with Win 8/10 work fine on the iMac even though officially unsupported, I couldn't be happier. Guess I can delete all my Cakewalk shortcuts now.

Toodles!

James
jamesattfield
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/14 23:57:13 (permalink)
Rain

This is anecdotal but if there is one thing which seems a constant in every studio I've visited and among the people who work there, it's that they tend to always be a few versions behind and usually avoid upgrades and updates as much as possible (OS and DAW software - I don't think I know anyone who runs Pro Tools 12).

When the computer is but one component and when there is a lot of hardware involved (AVID control surfaces, DSP cards, etc), people often seem to value a stable, working configuration over the lastest/fastest.

Of course, that is just my personal observation. But still... Most Mac owners I know don't really care for the latest/fastest. They have many other priorities before that.

As I mentioned earlier, the fact that Abbey Road decided to equip its 2 new studios with Mac computers - despite them being a few generations behind - illustrate just that. It's certainly not because they couldn't afford killer PCs.

Obviously, that's just one segment of the industry. But in my personal experience, that attitude is not uncommon in other segments too. 

This is not uncommon in many industry segments. Many enterprise databases run one or two versions behind the curve for reasons of stability and resource management - constant upgrades can be quite expensive but more importantly can be high risk. To characterise Mac owners as being happy to settle for 'last season' stuff I find a quite ill-informed comment. It applies equally to users of other PC's as well. We all want the sweet spot of performance with maximum stability and predictability.

In any event, older Mac's tend to be much more useful for longer not being shackled as they are with a slug of an OS. My Mid-2011 iMac happily out-performs my 'killer PC' which on paper is superior in all areas except intense online gaming (difficult to beat a pair of Cross-fired Radeon's) even though the PC runs the last reasonable version of Windows, 7 Pro. It also does this using a fraction of the disk and memory resources the PC demands. It is also noticeably more stable, boots faster, is not virus prone and the colour rendition is superb 'oob' which is great for my photography. The PC is now retired and on cold standby awaiting de-commissioning.

I'll be leaving you now as I take the view that I have been shafted by Cakewalk with their U-turn on Mac support so won't be following up on this. Good luck!

James

The Grim
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/15 00:08:38 (permalink)
you got to do what you got to do, myself, and i would guess a lot of others are doing fine with windows. windows 10 has been by far the best windows os for me, stable, fast, and everything for me just works, even some old audio interfaces that i don't want to part with just yet, which have no official support under windows 10, the latest drivers are from back in xp - windows 7  days i think, but it works fine, as good as ever. doesn't really matter what you use as long as it does the job for you and suits your needs.

i guess if you had purchased lifetime updates solely for the promise of a mac version you might be a little p'd off, it would have been a risky move as there wasn't actually a promise or guaranty that it would ever see the light of day, so you made the right decision there. i would say most windows users would be very happy with the lifetime updates, they have already paid for themselves as it were, i don't even use sonar much at all over the last 2 and a half years since switching, but i still think the lifetime updates deal for $99 was a bargain, keeping me in the loop should things change down the track. as long as you are happy with what you got and it does what you need, doesn't really matter, just enjoy
tzzsmk
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/26 12:14:13 (permalink)
I'm happy for decision to stop Sonar4Mac development,
it is unfortunate for all the Mac users, but I believe it was an only reasonable step for Cakewalk to do,
funding development of multiplatform software which is burdened by "legacy" Windows code is impossible task,
better keep advancing on one platform, than challenging each but loosing against competition on all,

me, I've known Sonar since version 8 or so, and I really liked it immediately (and believe me, I've been using practically all major DAWs at various studios and events through time), been fan of X1 and X3, latest version of Sonar are impressive as well,

but things started to look grim with launch of Windows 10 and whole Microsoft thinking, so about half year ago I finally made a choice to start leaving Windows (summary of all the reasons would make up a decent book) and I managed to make bootable OSX El Capitan on my X99 workstation (yes it's a hackintosh, technically illegal to use, but it's not a commercially used rig, and I do have some macs around aside),

as I'm a multiplatform user, I did a big research on which DAW to pick and use, and finally went for Reaper, recent versions being finally usable, reliable, extremely lightweight, and performing great on both Windows and Mac OS(X), so ease of moving projects is unbeatable which is crucial aspect for my workflow
- that said there are things I'm seriously missing compared to Sonar (ARA Melodyne, keyboard shortcut to set all tracks height to fit project window, built-in channel strip etc..), but it's a good alternative for OS(X) platform :)

Core i7-5820K, ASUS X99-S, Kingston 32GB DDR4, EVGA GTX980Ti Classified, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
RME HDSPe AIO, RME Fireface 802, RME Octamic D, Seaboard RISE49, Presonus Eris E8, AKG K240 MKII, DELL U2713HM
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/26 18:45:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/06/26 20:40:23
I had gotten my introduction to the whole DAW world VIA HS -2 and stuck with Cakewalk DAW's to the point where I am now . Running SPlat.
At first I was very happy at the thought of being able to run SONAR on my Mac.
As things played out over time with the SONAR on a Mac development , it has certainly looked as if it wasn't gonna happen ..
Sigh,
It would have been real nice to have been able to run SONAR and Logic on the same machine .
I have made my peace with that idea and I have moved on to a general feeling of acceptance of the situation as it is , not how I would like it too be .

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/26 20:01:27 (permalink)
jamesattfield
Rain

This is anecdotal but if there is one thing which seems a constant in every studio I've visited and among the people who work there, it's that they tend to always be a few versions behind and usually avoid upgrades and updates as much as possible (OS and DAW software - I don't think I know anyone who runs Pro Tools 12).

When the computer is but one component and when there is a lot of hardware involved (AVID control surfaces, DSP cards, etc), people often seem to value a stable, working configuration over the lastest/fastest.

Of course, that is just my personal observation. But still... Most Mac owners I know don't really care for the latest/fastest. They have many other priorities before that.

As I mentioned earlier, the fact that Abbey Road decided to equip its 2 new studios with Mac computers - despite them being a few generations behind - illustrate just that. It's certainly not because they couldn't afford killer PCs.

Obviously, that's just one segment of the industry. But in my personal experience, that attitude is not uncommon in other segments too. 

This is not uncommon in many industry segments. Many enterprise databases run one or two versions behind the curve for reasons of stability and resource management - constant upgrades can be quite expensive but more importantly can be high risk. To characterise Mac owners as being happy to settle for 'last season' stuff I find a quite ill-informed comment. It applies equally to users of other PC's as well. We all want the sweet spot of performance with maximum stability and predictability.

In any event, older Mac's tend to be much more useful for longer not being shackled as they are with a slug of an OS. My Mid-2011 iMac happily out-performs my 'killer PC' which on paper is superior in all areas except intense online gaming (difficult to beat a pair of Cross-fired Radeon's) even though the PC runs the last reasonable version of Windows, 7 Pro. It also does this using a fraction of the disk and memory resources the PC demands. It is also noticeably more stable, boots faster, is not virus prone and the colour rendition is superb 'oob' which is great for my photography. The PC is now retired and on cold standby awaiting de-commissioning.

I'll be leaving you now as I take the view that I have been shafted by Cakewalk with their U-turn on Mac support so won't be following up on this. Good luck!

James

Win 7 pro is the latest reasonable version of Windows?  According to who?  

That OS came out 8 years ago!

Numerous resources suggest Apple is not keeping pace with the professional A/V market (look up ProTools users jumping the Mac ship).  

Macs are notorious for an upgrade in an OS requiring a program overhaul due to lack of backwards compatibility.  
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/26 20:38:22 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
I had gotten my introduction to the whole DAW world VIA HS -2 and stuck with Cakewalk DAW's to the point where I am now . Running SPlat.
At first I was very happy at the thought of being able to run SONAR on my Mac.
As things played out over time with the SONAR on a Mac development , it has certainly looked as if it wasn't gonna happen ..
Sigh,
It would have been real nice to have been able to run SONAR and Logic on the same machine .
I have made my peace with that idea and I have moved on to a general feeling of acceptance of the situation as it is , not how I would like it too be .

Kenny

Great attitude Kenny! 

When I first heard the announcement, I was excited for Sonar to be joining the cross-platform world.  I figured it would be good for Sonar to grow and maybe become accepted as more than the "other" DAW.

In hindsight, I think it was probably an overly optimistic plan, given how invested Cakewalk code development has always been in the Windows only environment.

In the end I am not that surprised to hear that it turned out to be too much work, and their potential for return on investment appeared to be shrinking.  That is a combination of technical hurdles, with the economic realities of the software market.  No promises were made, other than an Alpha, so nobody was shafted, intentionally or otherwise.  They took a look, and had to move on.  Good business decision.

Plus there are still a few other good DAW choices out there if you need to work cross platform.  A lot of folks like Kenny use more than one DAW, and some even more than one OS.  It's not the end of the world! 

And I think the Mac vs PC threads that have been around forever are pointless.  Both are good tools that have their places in certain workflows.

Bottom line is your computer and your DAW are just tools.  What you do with them is up to you.  Design decisions shouldn't ruin your day, or cramp your creativity.  Just move on and make some music!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/26 20:42:30 (permalink)
Brian Walton
jamesattfield
Rain

James

Win 7 pro is the latest reasonable version of Windows?  According to who?  

Numerous resources suggest Apple is not keeping pace with the professional A/V market (look up ProTools users jumping the Mac ship).  

Macs are notorious for an upgrade in an OS requiring a program overhaul due to lack of backwards compatibility.  

ProTool users jumping from Mac? Surely not for PT on Windows but for other DAW's? I tried PT on Windows a few times, and immediately was disgusted. It's like trying to run Adobe Flash. It runs so poorly on Windows--at least on my machines.

IMO Apple isn't interested in the DAW market as much, but the DAW market (the industry) is still holding onto Macs with cold-dead hands. They're still out there in massive numbers. Anyway, dead subject now, I'm afraid. :)

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
tzzsmk
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/26 21:24:23 (permalink)
"Win 7 pro is the latest reasonable version of Windows?  According to who?  
Numerous resources suggest Apple is not keeping pace with the professional A/V market (look up ProTools users jumping the Mac ship)."

this really gave me a good laugh, because it's primarily AVID not keeping up, ProTools users are slowly jumping off the AVID ship since PT11 release "RTAS death", which was launched 4 years ago:P

Core i7-5820K, ASUS X99-S, Kingston 32GB DDR4, EVGA GTX980Ti Classified, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
RME HDSPe AIO, RME Fireface 802, RME Octamic D, Seaboard RISE49, Presonus Eris E8, AKG K240 MKII, DELL U2713HM
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/26 21:28:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby eikelbijter 2017/06/27 16:54:20
It's strange how Apple has gravitated way more towards the consumer side of things and at the same time still gets "pro" credits based on what they used to stand for.
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/26 23:55:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby eikelbijter 2017/06/27 16:54:29
tzzsmk
"Win 7 pro is the latest reasonable version of Windows?  According to who?  
Numerous resources suggest Apple is not keeping pace with the professional A/V market (look up ProTools users jumping the Mac ship)."

this really gave me a good laugh, because it's primarily AVID not keeping up, ProTools users are slowly jumping off the AVID ship since PT11 release "RTAS death", which was launched 4 years ago:P

You are talking about a different issue.
People that are staying with PT, but ditching MACs is documented. 
http://www.pro-tools-expe...e-ditching-their-apple
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/27 01:24:41 (permalink)
This is not just a Cakewalk issue.  I don't know all the ins and outs of the Mac OS releases, but fairly recently Presonus pulled support of the Universal Driver for some of their current audio interfaces, most notably 1818VSL.

They said that the reason was "Mac OS changes made it impossible to support the control panel."  And that cascaded into the same regression of Windows software.  The upshot is that if EITHER Windows or Mac users need to use the on-screen mixer (control panel) for the 1818VSL (which is practically a necessity), then you must fall back to a 3-year old version of the drivers and separate control panel app. 

Apple seems to be messing up quite a few things in the music world, and ironically, it seems that Windows is making big investments in their Windows 10 platform to make it a great foundation for DAWs.

I know it sucks to see this Cakewalk project not result in a commercial Mac project, but maybe that really is best for everybody.  It seems to me Apple has been pretty unreliable as an OS vendor for the past 3 or 4 releases.  The "punishment" is that by going with Windows, you will spend half as much money and have a better solution.

And re: the Presonus issue, I ended up selling my interface and upgraded to a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2.  Very nice.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/27 14:10:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2017/06/27 15:56:06
I find trying to keep 2 windows machines updated is a pita.  I can't imagine trying to keep a Win and Mac machines going.  "Damnit Jim, I'm a musician not an IT guy."

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/27 15:32:17 (permalink)

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/27 16:08:03 (permalink)
Anderton
http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/blogs/2433/view

That's a good article Craig.  I can see Apple setting up an iPhone and using it as the DAW platform with plenty of octo cables for the mics, sends, bigger monitors, etc.

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/27 16:27:28 (permalink)
FCCfirstclass
Anderton

That's a good article Craig.  I can see Apple setting up an iPhone and using it as the DAW platform with plenty of octo cables for the mics, sends, bigger monitors, etc.

Shades of Brazil -

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/06/27 18:10:21 (permalink)
Anderton

That article contained a line particularly interesting to me:
You never know what rabbit Apple will pull out of a hat, and perhaps a mind-blowing generation of workstation computers is just around the corner.

That certainly is a possibility, but IMHO, Apple long ago decided the whole world wants everything to exist on screens that are no more than 1/4" thick and 10" on diagonal -- and seriously, keyboards and mice are so 1980.  Certainly there are many things humans want to do that work well with such a format.  There might even be some mini-DAW cases where that is a good thing.  But I do not believe that anybody in any position of authority at Apple appreciates that there are some applications that really do work best with big, powerful desktop platforms and lots of glass.

That same thought process almost ended the consumer-facing side of Microsoft, and probably would have if they had tried to survive another year with Steve Ballmer in charge.  Under Ballmer's watch, he pushed Microsoft to believe that people actually wanted desktop machines to work exactly like phones, and that whole "Metro" app thing almost did Microsoft in. (I am talking the end user side of Microsoft.  The "corporate" side was always strong, anchored by SQL server and related products.)

But it does seem that Microsoft has learned an important lesson.  That is, while desktops may not be sexy or a high growth area, they are vital to a large number of applications and failure in that area reflects badly on everything else Microsoft tries to do.  Not coincidentally, about the same time, Microsoft figured out nobody even wanted phones to work the way Microsoft envisioned them, let alone forcing that framework on the desktop systems.

Who knows where this will all be 5 years from now?  It seems to me that Microsoft has learned their lesson and Apple has not, so Microsoft looks like the better bet to me.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 11
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1