Helpful ReplyPlease add an LFO tool!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/08 00:52:38 (permalink)
EDM was coined by Americans catching onto a scene that ws nearly 2 decades old. That's nearly 2 decades of of people calling their scene Dance Music, hence to objection, it had been the best years of their lives and now it was being re-branded by people that had never been part of the most important stage of the music. It will always be Dance Music to me. There was a WikiPedia battle about it, where pages were being edited back and fourth from Dance Music to EDM. When I looked up bands like Orbital and The Prodigy and saw they were now EDM, it didn't feel right. EDM tome is Genre of Dance music that bands like DeadMaus belong too.

In the 90's I was in Leeds, where the Biggest Club was Back to Basics, playing music like Ministry (I believe B2B came first as Leeds was called the House City for a while), wasn't for me, I would get the bus out to Morley to go to The Orbit to see Sven Vath and other German Techno Djs as well as DJs like Richie Hawtin

sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/08 01:54:24 (permalink)
Kamikaze
EDM was coined by Americans catching onto a scene that ws nearly 2 decades old. That's nearly 2 decades of of people calling their scene Dance Music, hence to objection, it had been the best years of their lives and now it was being re-branded by people that had never been part of the most important stage of the music. It will always be Dance Music to me. There was a WikiPedia battle about it, where pages were being edited back and fourth from Dance Music to EDM. When I looked up bands like Orbital and The Prodigy and saw they were now EDM, it didn't feel right. EDM tome is Genre of Dance music that bands like DeadMaus belong too.

In the 90's I was in Leeds, where the Biggest Club was Back to Basics, playing music like Ministry (I believe B2B came first as Leeds was called the House City for a while), wasn't for me, I would get the bus out to Morley to go to The Orbit to see Sven Vath and other German Techno Djs as well as DJs like Richie Hawtin

I'm pretty sure Back To Basics used to go on the road as a night because I definitely went to some nights at Newcastle Polytechnic with the same name. But yeah, not strictly my thing. We liked the psychedelic acid trance stuff. The best parties I went to were outdoors. Even though the police usually broke them up. 

Outside of the rave scene I liked the nights that played funk, soul and acid jazz. There was a fantastic club in Newcastle called World Headquarters in that vein and it still exists today, albeit at a much larger and snazzier venue. The owner is called Tommy Caulker and everyone who was on the scene around that time knew him. He was responsible for taking the Newcastle scene out of the wretched cultural wasteland of the 80's into the cool scene of the 90's. The history of how it all happened from the 80's onward is a fantastic read, even if you're not from Newcastle. I found it especially compelling since it's my old stomping ground and contains many familiar faces and names. http://www.welovewhq.com/history-culture/ 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/08 04:12:53 (permalink)
Wibbles
...How is it the people managed to make what has now been reclassified as EDM decades before the term existed? 

Retrospective re-classification seems to be rife. Terms like "ambient" and "powerpop" have been applied to various bands after the fact. But categorization is really of more interest to music critics than it is to musicians.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/08 04:28:19 (permalink)
I think you're right Sharke, it rings a bell. I just double checked to make sure old age wasn't messing with my brain (as I was dragged to Basics once), apparently its Leeds longest running night with 25 years
http://www.theskinny.co.uk/clubs/interviews/25-years-of-back-to-basics-leeds

I think Ministry toured as well.

We had a place called West Indian Centre, that was in one of the roughest parts of Leeds (Chaplettown) but we never saw trouble there. It was great for more alternative dance and far less heavy than The Orbit.

High Light of Uni Days were the Megadog tours, with eat Static, Banco De Ghia, Sabre of Paradise. Which lead me into Psy Trance, before it did my head in and I starting listening to DnB, but DnB club nights were not good in Leeds.

I liked my Acid Jazz too with Corduroy.

I thought of an analogy for the EDM rebranding. Imagine Jazz being removed from Wikipedia and replaced with AC music (Amercian Classical) by people who'd never heard of Duke Ellington.

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/08 22:11:00 (permalink)
Kev999
But categorization is really of more interest to music critics than it is to musicians.

Very true. And the number of "sub-genres" is ridiculously huge. It's as if every new band or new release by an established band prompts someone somewhere to invent a new term to pigeonhole it by. Or reclassifies the musician(s) into a category other than the one their last released was dumped into.

Categorisation also seems to matter to record companies as well, they like being able to say "you like 'classic rock', here's a new 'classic rock' band we've signed".

I always wonder when I see graphs like Craig's of which genres sell how much or the streaming graph posted somewhere back on page 2 exactly what assumptions underlie what gets included in which category.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1