Helpful ReplyAny Backup Software recommendations or advice?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/05 13:24:41 (permalink)
mettelus

One could simply encrypt an external HDD and store it semi-remotely to achieve the same thing.

The easiest way to do this is to use BitLocker in Windows (8.1/10) Pro to do full drive encryption.  Then it's a simple matter of storing the drive off-site.  I use a WD Elements 1TB portable USB drive with BitLocker, and it works great. 

A beginner's guide to BitLocker, Windows' built-in encryption tool
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2308725/encryption/a-beginners-guide-to-bitlocker-windows-built-in-encryption-tool.html

How to Use BitLocker Without a Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6229/how-to-use-bitlocker-on-drives-without-tpm/

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/05 14:05:21 (permalink)
mettelus
BobF
My primary objection to Cloud backups is my 300baud internet connection.

I think that holds true for most folks. Even with 200Mb/s it would take over 11 hours to upload 1TB.

And my response is who cares? Who cares if it takes 11 hours? Who cares if it takes 11 days? Once you have that 1TB backed up, its backed up. Chances are most (like 99.999%) of that 1TB aren't going to change very often so once its backed up its there and doesn't need to be backed up again. From that point on only the things that change need to be uploaded. Even a modest connection is more than adequate at that point.

For the price of such a connection you could buy a HDD drive each month. Some hosts charge for bandwidth, so a company using a cloud service would most likely pay more there unless they used incremental backups.
Again, any recommendation for cloud-based backups is predicated on the assumption that you have reasonably priced unlimited broadband available. And incremental backups are the only thing that makes sense when it comes to cloud-based solutions. Do your imaging locally and store physical copies off site.

A chunk of marketing shifted to "scare tactics" in the late 80s, but a lot of the scenarios used are truly rare. One could simply encrypt an external HDD and store it semi-remotely to achieve the same thing.

True enough, one could in fact achieve the same thing by simply encrypting an external HDD and storing it off-site. But the gotcha there is someone actually has to do it. And human beings being what they are, that gotcha ends up being a game stopper way more often than not. Put another way, if it were that simple, there would be no market for cloud-based services. But there is a market for them. And that market is only able to exist because of the vast number of people who realize they will never have the personal discipline required to be able to perform manual backups regularly. Manual backups do not happen for most people. If you're able to do them on a schedule and never miss, then you should hold your head high and know that you are the truly rare exception to a very wide spread rule.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/05 17:43:49 (permalink)
mettelus
BobF

I think that holds true for most folks. Even with 200Mb/s it would take over 11 hours to upload 1TB. For the price of such a connection you could buy a HDD drive each month. Some hosts charge for bandwidth, so a company using a cloud service would most likely pay more there unless they used incremental backups.

A chunk of marketing shifted to "scare tactics" in the late 80s, but a lot of the scenarios used are truly rare. One could simply encrypt an external HDD and store it semi-remotely to achieve the same thing.

This is not really a valid objection these days. CrashPlan, for instance, offers to send you a hard drive to get your initial backup to them if it's too large to upload. Their backup app will encrypt it and save it on the hard drive then you just mail it back to them.  

Storing a backup HD yourself "semi remotely" has its problems. Not everyone has a "semi remote" location, and even if they do, it's highly unlikely that this is as secure as a reputable backup service which pays good money to keep its backup locations safe and secure (plus they keep a backup of their backup servers should anything happen to the first one). And then there's the inconvenience of having to retrieve your "remote" backup drive when you need to back up more stuff onto it. The beauty of a cloud based backup is that once you get that initial backup up and running, the app makes continual incremental backups as changes are made to files (like Acronis does). CrashPlan also keeps a version history of your files so you can roll back to an earlier version at any time. I cannot begin to stress how useful this is, if for instance you take a project in a direction that you regret later and want to roll back to how it was a couple of weeks ago. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/05 18:18:04 (permalink)
sharke
mettelus
BobF

I think that holds true for most folks. Even with 200Mb/s it would take over 11 hours to upload 1TB. For the price of such a connection you could buy a HDD drive each month. Some hosts charge for bandwidth, so a company using a cloud service would most likely pay more there unless they used incremental backups.

This is not really a valid objection these days. CrashPlan, for instance, offers to send you a hard drive to get your initial backup to them if it's too large to upload. Their backup app will encrypt it and save it on the hard drive then you just mail it back to them.  

Storing a backup HD yourself "semi remotely" has its problems. Not everyone has a "semi remote" location, and even if they do, it's highly unlikely that this is as secure as a reputable backup service which pays good money to keep its backup locations safe and secure (plus they keep a backup of their backup servers should anything happen to the first one). And then there's the inconvenience of having to retrieve your "remote" backup drive when you need to back up more stuff onto it. The beauty of a cloud based backup is that once you get that initial backup up and running, the app makes continual incremental backups as changes are made to files (like Acronis does). CrashPlan also keeps a version history of your files so you can roll back to an earlier version at any time. I cannot begin to stress how useful this is, if for instance you take a project in a direction that you regret later and want to roll back to how it was a couple of weeks ago. 

I say it is a valid objection.  My internet connection is 3.5Mb down, .75Mb up.  Even if I use the mail-in option to get started, incrementals will all but totally consume my pipe unless I'm not really doing anything.

Then when it's time to restore/recover, I have the pipe to deal with again.  My OS partition is approx 74G right now.  Care to guess how long that takes to download?  Hell, when I run out of pause options for Win10 updates my network is crippled until MS gets their fix.  And I'm not the only one using this pathetic pipe.

If I'm going to run to the post office, I might as well run to the bank and stick a drive in a safe deposit box instead.

If you have the bandwidth, Cloud might be a great option.  We don't all have the bandwidth though.

We also have to see how net neutrality (lack of) ends up playing out too.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

sharke
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/06 02:20:52 (permalink)
BobF
sharke
mettelus
BobF

I say it is a valid objection.  My internet connection is 3.5Mb down, .75Mb up.  Even if I use the mail-in option to get started, incrementals will all but totally consume my pipe unless I'm not really doing anything.

Then when it's time to restore/recover, I have the pipe to deal with again.  My OS partition is approx 74G right now.  Care to guess how long that takes to download?  Hell, when I run out of pause options for Win10 updates my network is crippled until MS gets their fix.  And I'm not the only one using this pathetic pipe.

If I'm going to run to the post office, I might as well run to the bank and stick a drive in a safe deposit box instead.

If you have the bandwidth, Cloud might be a great option.  We don't all have the bandwidth though.

With CrashPlan For Home you don't back up in real time, it does it once every 24 hours. I think you can set it to turn your computer off after the backup as well, so you can go to bed and leave it running and it will shut down automatically. So no need to clog up your bandwidth when you're awake. 

Like I said, this is just a "last resort" backup which is there if your physical backups fail or are destroyed. I'm sure that if that happened, you'd be happy to have it there even if it meant you had to download your stuff all night to get it. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
abacab
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/06 03:00:47 (permalink)
BobF

OK. I hate to be 'that guy', but I just gotta ask...

Do you actually have a 300baud connection in 2018, or is that just an expression for slow azz internet service?  I understand some folks live in remote areas without broadband internet.

The reason I ask is that I worked as a network tech back in the 80's, and that 300 speed was low on the list even back in those days, with 1200/2400/4800 being more common.

I seem to recall that dial-up modems reliably reached speed of 28.8-33.6kbit/s over conventional telephone lines in the 90's.

BobF
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/06 13:32:26 (permalink)
abacab
BobF

Do you actually have a 300baud connection in 2018, or is that just an expression for slow azz internet service?  I understand some folks live in remote areas without broadband internet.

The reason I ask is that I worked as a network tech back in the 80's, and that 300 speed was low on the list even back in those days, with 1200/2400/4800 being more common.

I seem to recall that dial-up modems reliably reached speed of 28.8-33.6kbit/s over conventional telephone lines in the 90's.

That was a slight exaggeration.

The real numbers are 3.5Mb x .75Mb

Bob  --
--

BobF
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/06 13:35:01 (permalink)
sharke
BobF
sharke
mettelus
BobF

With CrashPlan For Home you don't back up in real time, it does it once every 24 hours. I think you can set it to turn your computer off after the backup as well, so you can go to bed and leave it running and it will shut down automatically. So no need to clog up your bandwidth when you're awake. 

Like I said, this is just a "last resort" backup which is there if your physical backups fail or are destroyed. I'm sure that if that happened, you'd be happy to have it there even if it meant you had to download your stuff all night to get it. 

It might make sense for some folks as a last resort, absolutely critical files only approach.

Bob  --
--

Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/06 14:01:08 (permalink)
BobF
abacab
BobF

Do you actually have a 300baud connection in 2018, or is that just an expression for slow azz internet service?  I understand some folks live in remote areas without broadband internet....

One thing to consider is that is about as fast as you can upload to a cloud service anyway, it seems.  It took me a day and a half to transfer 72 GB of audio and I have repeatedly tested my upload speed at 10 Mbps - didn't matter, all I managed was 700 to 800 Kbps, or less.  So it might max you out, but you're not too far off from what you'd be limited to anyways.  

Of course, I am not to be confused with an expert here.  Upload speed seems to be an issue with cloud storage in general, and Google Drive seemed to be listed among the fastest, so disappointment is inevitable.  Maybe some techy folks know how to speed that up.  I sure don't.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
abacab
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/06 14:36:41 (permalink)
Voda La Void

Upload speed seems to be an issue with cloud storage in general, and Google Drive seemed to be listed among the fastest, so disappointment is inevitable.  Maybe some techy folks know how to speed that up.  I sure don't.  

Most broadband service operates in an asymmetric mode with download vs upload speeds.  So there is always going to be an issue in that case with pushing a lot of bits UP the pipe, regardless of the storage host's network capacity and load, which may be a big factor as well. 

They may have to throttle inbound traffic so that their infrastructure can cope with the load of simultaneous customer connections.  The more infrastructure they have to buy, the lower their profit, so it will always be a balancing act.

One exception to asymmetric use that I noticed recently was when I was visiting relatives over the holidays and hopped onto a Verizon FIOS broadband connection.  My network speed tests there showed equal download/upload speeds.  Nice! 

So depending on your needs, choose your ISP and your storage hosts wisely... YMMV! 

BobF
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/06 15:46:23 (permalink)
Voda La Void
BobF
abacab
BobF

Do you actually have a 300baud connection in 2018, or is that just an expression for slow azz internet service?  I understand some folks live in remote areas without broadband internet....

One thing to consider is that is about as fast as you can upload to a cloud service anyway, it seems.  It took me a day and a half to transfer 72 GB of audio and I have repeatedly tested my upload speed at 10 Mbps - didn't matter, all I managed was 700 to 800 Kbps, or less.  So it might max you out, but you're not too far off from what you'd be limited to anyways.  

Of course, I am not to be confused with an expert here.  Upload speed seems to be an issue with cloud storage in general, and Google Drive seemed to be listed among the fastest, so disappointment is inevitable.  Maybe some techy folks know how to speed that up.  I sure don't.  

One thing I like about dropbox is that you can configure the sync rate in terms of bandwidth consumption.  Maybe others do this too.

That may be the max the cloud will accept, but it leaves me NOTHING for other uses or users.  Still, I can see Cloud backup as useful for relatively small volumes of creative output.

Bob  --
--

BobF
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/06 15:48:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/02/06 16:40:42
abacab

So depending on your needs, choose your ISP and your storage hosts wisely... YMMV! 

Choice of ISP?  Now THAT is FUNNY!!!   No, wait ... THAT is SADly not possible here.

There are MANY, MANY advantages to living where I live that far outweigh the uselessness of Cloud backup services though

Bob  --
--

the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/06 19:16:53 (permalink)
BobF
abacab

Choice of ISP?  Now THAT is FUNNY!!!   No, wait ... THAT is SADly not possible here.

There are MANY, MANY advantages to living where I live that far outweigh the uselessness of Cloud backup services though

Much more that bandwidth concerns, I'd be concerned about where exactly my data was going, who exactly has direct access to the server it would reside on, and of course I'm sure they have no issues with Meltdown or Spectre, where someone who leases a slice of space on the same server might be reading the internal registers of the CPU as your data is uploading. I wouldn't trust putting any of my data on some server in the sky, even if it could be completed in five seconds.  I prefer to be the one and only person who has access to it, and just make clones of it to other media on a frequent basis. I even back a lot of stuff up to my phone, so if the house were to go up in flames, or get blown to pieces by a tornado, I'll even have a good chunk of the important stuff zipped up and password protected in my pocket.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/06 20:14:21 (permalink)
 I even back a lot of stuff up to my phone, so if the house were to go up in flames, or get blown to pieces by a tornado, I'll even have a good chunk of the important stuff zipped up and password protected in my pocket.

Until you lose your phone... 

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

sharke
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/06 23:48:03 (permalink)
BobF
abacab

Much more that bandwidth concerns, I'd be concerned about where exactly my data was going, who exactly has direct access to the server it would reside on, and of course I'm sure they have no issues with Meltdown or Spectre, where someone who leases a slice of space on the same server might be reading the internal registers of the CPU as your data is uploading. I wouldn't trust putting any of my data on some server in the sky, even if it could be completed in five seconds.  I prefer to be the one and only person who has access to it, and just make clones of it to other media on a frequent basis. I even back a lot of stuff up to my phone, so if the house were to go up in flames, or get blown to pieces by a tornado, I'll even have a good chunk of the important stuff zipped up and password protected in my pocket.

Well firstly, your data is thoroughly encrypted in the cloud. And secondly, I think you probably have as much chance of being burgled and having your backup drivers stolen as you have of someone gaining access to your cloud storage and decrypting it. 

James
abacab
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/07 00:34:47 (permalink)
sharke

Well firstly, your data is thoroughly encrypted in the cloud. And secondly, I think you probably have as much chance of being burgled and having your backup drivers stolen as you have of someone gaining access to your cloud storage and decrypting it. 

Exactly!  Bitflipper's tale of being burgled is a reason you should keep backups in at least 3 places!!!  The only stuff he had left was some stuff he had kept in a shoebox... 

Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/07 02:42:39 (permalink)
abacab
sharke

Exactly!  Bitflipper's tale of being burgled is a reason you should keep backups in at least 3 places!!!  The only stuff he had left was some stuff he had kept in a shoebox... 

Well I have to wonder how many folks uploading their entire hard drives to the cloud have read the entire agreements with whoever they signed up with, and did they fully understand the entire document's implications along with things like, what specific server located where on Earth does that image of your hard drive end up on? How many other copies of it exist? Who has access to all the images locally? Remotely? Who has knowledge of the inner workings of the encryption algorithms? Etc...

We tend to believe that high tech computer stuff is safe, until we find out that it really wasn't all along. At one time, we believed that WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) was just as secure as connecting a computer to a network over a wire. Now we know it can be cracked in under a minute. Then a few generations later we believed that WPA2 was ultra safe but nope, last year US-CERT issued an advisory that there are several key management vulnerabilities in WPA2, allowing for decryption, packet replay, TCP connection hijacking, and HTTP content injection. Then we find out that just about every processor on the planet has at least one, or possibly two security flaws in the hardware itself.

Bottom line is if there is nothing at all of any importance on your hard drive, then it probably doesn't matter. Upload it to the cloud without any encryption, because there is nothing there to be had.  I try to keep almost no important information on my seven machines here at home, because I'm quite convinced that there is no real security in computer security protocols. Only the illusion of it.  That said, I keep at least three copies of my hard drive on multiple physical backup drives, some like my NAS could be stolen along with my computer, but other copies are located elsewhere and would be my backup, backup in a worst case scenario.   ;)

Glennbo

JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/07 13:20:57 (permalink)

Well I have to wonder how many folks uploading their entire hard drives to the cloud have read the entire agreements with whoever they signed up with, and did they fully understand the entire document's implications along with things like, what specific server located where on Earth does that image of your hard drive end up on? How many other copies of it exist? Who has access to all the images locally? Remotely? Who has knowledge of the inner workings of the encryption algorithms? Etc...

Why would I bother? I'm not backing up gigabytes worth of other people's financial info. In fact I'm not backing up anyone's financial info. Or medical records, or anything else of significant value to anyone besides myself. 

Yes my songs are on there. But I'm reminded of a story about a Berkley student talking to a professor about how much of a pain the butt it was to copyright everything she writes. The professor asked her why she was bothering to copyright every single song she wrote. She said well if I don't someone might steal one of my songs. As you might expect, the response was honey if I were you, I'd be saying a prayer every night for someone to steal one of those songs of yours.

If some hacker wannabe in the middle east really wants one of my songs or all those pictures of our cats, they can have them. They don't even have to hack. Just ask and I'll happily send them along.

Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/07 16:27:42 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
Why would I bother? I'm not backing up gigabytes worth of other people's financial info. In fact I'm not backing up anyone's financial info. Or medical records, or anything else of significant value to anyone besides myself. 

Yes my songs are on there. But I'm reminded of a story about a Berkley student talking to a professor about how much of a pain the butt it was to copyright everything she writes. The professor asked her why she was bothering to copyright every single song she wrote. She said well if I don't someone might steal one of my songs. As you might expect, the response was honey if I were you, I'd be saying a prayer every night for someone to steal one of those songs of yours.

If some hacker wannabe in the middle east really wants one of my songs or all those pictures of our cats, they can have them. They don't even have to hack. Just ask and I'll happily send them along.

Precisely why I said this in my post above.

"Bottom line is if there is nothing at all of any importance on your hard drive, then it probably doesn't matter. Upload it to the cloud without any encryption, because there is nothing there to be had."

Glennbo

JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/07 17:56:20 (permalink)

"Bottom line is if there is nothing at all of any importance on your hard drive, then it probably doesn't matter. Upload it to the cloud without any encryption, because there is nothing there to be had."

Well I guess was just kind of confused. You did two long paragraphs making points about the perils of people not reading or understanding EULA's and how even secure technology isn't really secure. Then you kind of invalidate all of that by more or less saying that for 99.99999% of the people, none of that matters.

I guess I agree with you. But if you really feel that none of that matters for most people, why mention it at all?

Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/07 18:01:58 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin

Well I guess was just kind of confused. You did two long paragraphs making points about the perils of people not reading or understanding EULA's and how even secure technology isn't really secure. Then you kind of invalidate all of that by more or less saying that for 99.99999% of the people, none of that matters.

I guess I agree with you. But if you really feel that none of that matters for most people, why mention it at all?

Because if someone is backing up their entire hard drive to the cloud, they should be thinking about exactly what info is on that hard drive, and then all the other questions make more sense. If you are backing up a drive that has nothing but wave data on it, then it's no big deal, but if you are backing up your primary boot drive, then you should pay closer attention to what all the implications are.

Glennbo

abacab
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/07 18:48:36 (permalink)

if you are backing up your primary boot drive, then you should pay closer attention to what all the implications are.

Especially if you keep your tax records and bank passwords on your boot partition...

JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/07 19:41:02 (permalink)
Because if someone is backing up their entire hard drive to the cloud, they should be thinking about exactly what info is on that hard drive, and then all the other questions make more sense. If you are backing up a drive that has nothing but wave data on it, then it's no big deal, but if you are backing up your primary boot drive, then you should pay closer attention to what all the implications are.

Who backs up their entire hard drive to the cloud? I mean I'm sure there are those who do, but its certainly not most people. I've seen the front ends of a few different cloud-based solutions and have done installs/setups of a few for folks over the years. All those that I've seen more of less default to wanting to backup document folders only. Yep you can configure them to backup the whole drive, but you have to know what you're doing to get that setup. It probably should go without saying that most people don't know what they're doing when it comes to that sort of thing. So they click the defaults and let it go.

Now if someone is keeping a word doc in their documents folder that has every password they ever used and every credit card account number they own and their mother's maiden name and social security number yada yada yada, I would argue that's very likely to be someone that was going to be at elevated risk for identify theft long before they ever bought a computer.

abacab
Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/07 20:14:32 (permalink)
I encrypt any personal data files in a password protected 7-zip archive before I store it in Dropbox.

Re: Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? 2018/02/07 20:41:04 (permalink)

I just backed up this advertising music to the cloud!  <g>

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13690413

Glennbo

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1