Helpful ReplyWindows 10 - version 1709

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
aidanodr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
Re: Windows 10 1709 build 16299.19 installed. 2017/10/23 15:53:57 (permalink)
http://www.techradar.com/...uses-apps-to-disappear

Another problem has popped up with the Fall Creators Update, with affected upgraders finding that some of their apps are disappearing from menus in Windows 10.

Those hit with the issue have found that the icons to launch some apps have gone missing from the Start menu, and neither are they to be found on the operating system’s list of installed apps. A Cortana search won’t locate them, either – even though the pieces of software in question are still installed on the PC.

You can verify the latter because the Microsoft Store (formerly Windows Store) will indeed confirm they are installed, and you can launch the apps from here.

This appears to be affecting the core OS apps such as Movies & TV, Groove Music, and the likes of Calculator, and indeed in some reported cases, the store app itself has disappeared which could certainly be problematic (in terms of attempting to launch that one from the Microsoft Store).

Thats just a snippet from WHOLE article ..

danbottomburp
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: Windows 10 1709 build 16299.19 installed. 2017/10/23 20:43:58 (permalink)
Nothing but problems with Sonar since the latest Windows update, i though initially it was the last Sonar update causing the issues but now i am thinking it could well be windows.

5 crashes in less than a week. 

Asus Z270F Motherboard
Intel core i7 7700k
BeQuiet Dark Rock Advanced CPU Cooler
Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200
Samsung 830 SSD SATA III 256GB 6GBPS 2.5"
Coolermaster 600W Silentpro PSU
Gigabyte 1080 Gpu
Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 64bit
Behringer c-1 condensor mic
Line 6 Helix Rack 

Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Windows 10 1709 build 16299.19 installed. 2017/10/24 03:00:40 (permalink)
Installed 1709 last night.  No problems at all with Sonar Platinum.  But like several other people, I had to reauthorize AD2 (which I don't use anymore since Superior Drummer 3 came out)

I tried testing as many programs as I could, both DAW and non-DAW apps.  Including stand-alone instruments (that are also plugins for Sonar)  RealGuitars, Kontakt 5,  EZKeys, all seem to work fine.   And pushing Sonar to the limit with lots of VSTi's and FX, including Ozone 8, no crashes, no audio engine stops, no clicks.  So far, so good!

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Windows 10 - version 1709 2017/10/24 03:12:45 (permalink)
JGMusic
It seems that now with Ver. 1709 they took away the option to turn "Game Mode" on or off.

Game mode on/off option removed ? - - - Anyone else think this is a reason for concern for Sonar users ?
There is still a forum sticky existing regarding this. I'm in the middle of a pretty large project, and wouldn't want the next windows update to fubar it. Thinking it might be a great time to disable the windows update service, until the storm dies down . . . thoughts ?

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: Windows 10 - version 1709 2017/10/24 04:18:42 (permalink)
RSMCGUITAR
For the first time I had to re-authorize AD2

It always deactivates- always. AD and Omnesphere, and also eLicenser has issues, asking to make it Run as Administrator. 

My computer was not shutting down after update- it some how enabled Fast Boot in Windows, but massed it up, so disabling Fast Boot solved it. 

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: Windows 10 - version 1709 2017/10/24 04:21:16 (permalink)
noynekker
JGMusic
It seems that now with Ver. 1709 they took away the option to turn "Game Mode" on or off.

Game mode on/off option removed ? - - - Anyone else think this is a reason for concern for Sonar users ?
There is still a forum sticky existing regarding this. I'm in the middle of a pretty large project, and wouldn't want the next windows update to fubar it. Thinking it might be a great time to disable the windows update service, until the storm dies down . . . thoughts ?

I remember disabling Game Mode and all bunch of settings related to it and games, and it helped a lot with Latency. Where is this setting? I need to check. Thank you. 

So far I dont have any major issues other than Start not loading and computer not shutting down, and AD, Omnesphere and eLicenser. To me it is better sooner than later. 

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
Songroom
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Windows 10 - version 1709 2017/10/24 06:25:14 (permalink)
vladasyn
noynekker
JGMusic

I remember disabling Game Mode and all bunch of settings related to it and games, and it helped a lot with Latency. Where is this setting? I need to check. Thank you. 

So far I dont have any major issues other than Start not loading and computer not shutting down, and AD, Omnesphere and eLicenser. To me it is better sooner than later. 

The option to disable Game Mode has indeed been removed from the latest W10 update and replaced with an automatic mode. If this works as intended it shouldn't cause any issues, but it can be disabled in the registry if it becomes necessary.

Sonar Platinum - BandLab Cakewalk - Presonus 16.0.2 - Tannoys - Lava BandLamp ?

Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Windows 10 - version 1709 2017/10/24 12:33:33 (permalink)
Solved update failure issue on my Windows 10 Pro workstation by manually letting Windows search and Choose the best suitable 3rd party driver updates from Device Manager
  Simply type "Device Manager" into Cortana search and select it from dropdown window. Once started, scroll down and open all folders and start looking for the yellow triangle warning signs.
 Click on them, then click the "Driver" tab, then click on "Update Driver" and then select "Search the web", and wait for download or instructions to go vendors website and download them yourself, or you can choose to manually "Disable" the drivers, which most likely aren't working at all, and or causing problems and slowing down your system if they are.

And DEFENETLY DISABLE drivers for devices that you already know are hacked (recoded installer) or known to cause problems in the past. 9 out of 10 times these hacked drivers won't show any warning signs.
Like drivers you found hacks for such as Cakewalk V-700, M-Audio interfaces, Edirol/Roland MIDI Keyboard controllers, etc., and absolutely anything you had to turn off "Digital Driver Singing" for
 You can always go back after upgrading and re-enable them.

Another thing to consider, for instance, I already knew from past experience that AMD FirePro accelerated graphics card, specifically designed for fast and powerful DCC (digital content creation) can cause some strange and unlikely problems.
 It works GREAT for editing and rendering video in Vegas Pro 11 and even has  very positive latency effects running SPLAT with a very smooth, rock solid and crisp GUI with or without a video channel running, powering two LG 23" 2ms HD monitors always running + an occasional  40" Samsung 4K Smart TV 5ms , but certainly not a first choice for gaming, but needs to be disabled to run the Waves Central plugin manager, or it will lock up.
 As previously stated more then once in the forum' "SONAR is NOT a GAME" neither is Vegas Pro and high powered gamer video cards don't do Jack Crap for either, other then being a dedicated PCIe device with it's own GPU and memory that doesn't need to gobble up system RAM or need to run off the CPU like a little built in onboard video chip does, as so you don't really need to worry about losing or even think about using Game Mode, which in fact DOES gobble up system RAM and CPU cycles.
 It's like ASIO4ALL drivers, which in fact aren't really ASIO drivers at all. All it does is fool Windows and a DAW into thinking the little tiny built in sound chip on your mobo is an actual audio interface capable of fine tuning ultra low latency running ASIO drivers, when in fact they are still WDM drivers running on an little tiny built in sound chip capable of being overclocked into total instability, and makes you scratch your head and wonder what is CRASHING your piece of crap DAW, which never seems to be able to do exactly what YOOOOOOOOOUUUUUU WANT IT TO DO!!! Or Prolly Maybe your piece of crap OS and or dumb arse Cortana, which simply, contrary to popular beliefs, isn't really all that smart enough to understand your complicated soul, and give you exactly what you want, when you want it, so you can be happy and do it all your own way.
 It's quite obvious for all the user reviews and raves that it couldn't be ASIO4ALL drivers fault, oh no, because the "Best Things In Life Are Free"! Umm, Right????????
 So it HAS to be that SONAR is a piece of crap because it keeps CRASHING, and it's gotta be SONAR's fault because it's so bad sometimes the cursor doesn't even follow the audio across the time line! Even when I set my computer to "Game Mode", SONAR still crashes EVERYTIME IT FEELS LIKE IT!

OK, I'm rambling, and this is how my sense of humor has gotten my in trouble more than once, ;-p
 Now where was I? Oh yeah, surfing thru "Device Manager" looking for "real solutions" as opposed to picking and choosing and pointing fingers, to decide what problems I like the best.
Seriously folks, never, never, ever mix your politics with your technology and expect any real and sustainable solutions.

And so back in "Device Manager" just for the heck of it I click on the "Display Adapter" folder and just as expected up pops "AMD FirePro V4900 (FireGL V)" even though the was no warning sign in Device Manager or new updates in AMD Catalyst Control Center, Windows found a driver Hot Fix and downloaded and installed it directly from Device Manager.

That made me feel confident enough to once again unplug or shut down all unnecessary USB devices ( audio interface, printer, X Touch, etc, load my DVD copy of Fall Creators Upgrade 1709 into the tray, and approx. 1 hour later Fall Creators Upgrade 1709 was installed and everything was up and running smoothly.
 Including my hacked Edirol PCR 500 MIDI Keyboard Controller. :o)

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

hitnrun30
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Windows 10 1709 build 16299.19 installed. 2017/11/03 14:57:36 (permalink)
How did you figure this out, I called Microsoft and they said they couldn't help because the ASUS m5a97 r2.0 motherboard does not support Windows 10, what did you do to figure what would need to be uninstalled. Please, I want to use this machine for a VR setup.
SigiZ58
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 93
Re: Windows 10 1709 build 16299.19 installed. 2017/11/03 15:49:24 (permalink)
I just updated my 3 W10 Pro to 1709.
It failed on each single PC at first with strange error messages like "something went wrong" or "could not complete functional updates" - repeat.
The first PC worked after I used the W10 Upgrade assistant.
The second PC (the newest machine with only a fresh Creators Update Installation) failed complete. I had to dornload the ISO and set up all complete new - I was so happy that I nothing installed there, this would have become a complete desaster.
The third PC failed like the first one, i got it to update with the ISO finally.

In sum: two (older) PCs updates worked with help from assistant/ISO, one PC a complete reinstall.

This is the first time since Windows XP I experienced such problems with a windows update.

Still no idea how long I will keep my W7 production environment. I was short before migrating this to W10, but after this experience.......

And this update came on the fly, this means, I would have destroyed my environment without explicitely saying I go to a new version. Yes, I am lazy with backups.......  
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Windows 10 1709 build 16299.19 installed. 2017/11/03 16:36:05 (permalink)
W10 trashed my wifes Lenovo laptop because of a lack of drivers for many things like the camera and SD card reader. She's learned to live with it for now but I'm tempted to put it back to W7. I still have the original HD. 
My 3 desktops are only at most 4 years old so no problem and for my DAW 1709 has fixed a few issues I was having including Sonar crashing. At this point with W10 and Sonar fully up to date all is running smooth again. Prior to Aug everything was fine but the last 2 months have been my worst in my last 6 years. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1