Helpful ReplySonar Alternatives: Cubase

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
KHS
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/25 11:37:46 (permalink)
soens
Would you let a doctor operate on you blind? "I can't see what I'm cutting but don't worry. I know I'm cutting something..."

If I can't see it visually, it aint happening.

That comment only tell that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about..
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/25 16:44:00 (permalink)
Cubase is a complex beast, but I've found that it pays off in huge ways once you get a grip on what's happening. It can be as simple as any DAW on the market, or as complex as you want it to be. Between the macros and Logical Editor, I've found nothing that I can't do. The Logical Editor blows away CAL. Just having an actual built-in audio editor is amazing, and with ASIO-Guard invoked, I can run 20 to 30% more virtual instruments under Cubase than I could in Sonar. It's not a program where you want to stumble around and figure out what's happening. Invest in some of the tutorial programs online, and you'll be up to speed in less than a week.

One of the gripes people had with Sonar is that there really were no big names using the program. You had some higher profiles on music for games, but even the biggest one was using Sonar 5. Cubase is used by a myriad of professional composers and musicians.

For a good overview of the capabilities of Cubase, scroll to the bottom of this page and check out Season 1 of Junkie XL's tutorials. The guy composes for huge films, and has a lot of peripheral equipment :

http://www.junkiexl.com/tutorials/

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/26 01:06:00 (permalink)
Cubase seems to have some strangeness in how it handles stretching clips.  If you long-click the main arrow tool button, there are options for how that tool works.  One of the options causes stretching instead of cropping.  That all works just as expected.  But if you copy a clip that has been shrunk (compressed into smaller time,) it seem to me the results are inconsistent.  And likewise if you drag the middle-right handle on the clip, which is supposed to repeat the clip, what gets repeated is sometimes the original length and sometimes the shortened length.

The whole thing is baffling.  Has anybody figured out how to deal with this?

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Resort Records
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 234
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/26 07:43:00 (permalink)
KHS
soens
Would you let a doctor operate on you blind? "I can't see what I'm cutting but don't worry. I know I'm cutting something..."

If I can't see it visually, it aint happening.

That comment only tell that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about..

Actually, it's a perfectly reasonable analogy. Your response, on the other hand, is unnecessarily combative and unprofessional. Please, keep your comments productive. We are here to help our colleagues out of an unfortunate situation - not kick them when they're down.

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
KHS
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/26 11:55:57 (permalink)
Resort Records

Actually, it's a perfectly reasonable analogy. Your response, on the other hand, is unnecessarily combative and unprofessional. Please, keep your comments productive. We are here to help our colleagues out of an unfortunate situation - not kick them when they're down.

Not really, if he cannot see what he is doing then zoom in, simple as that. Same with the doctor, if things are too small for him to see properly he will use a magnifying device of some kind to "zoom in"

I said he had no clue because the slip editing method is actually how many pro producers are doing it.
If you need to have the tail of a guitar blending in with next part, it's no longer a single guitar and should be done on 2 tracks. Same with the more obvious overlapping vocals. You should always keep them on separate channels, else your compressor will slam it on the overlapping part and thus making it hard to hear the words.
With modern CPUs it shouldn't be a problem to process the stuff at separate channels. Also properly coded VST3 plugins will only take up CPU time when there is actual audio present.

JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/26 17:05:00 (permalink)
KHS
 I said he had no clue because the slip editing method is actually how many pro producers are doing it.

You don't have to be a mathematician to know that many is less than all. Just because the producer of the moment does something a certain way, doesn't mean my particular project will turn better (or even as good) by using that same method. 

If you need to have the tail of a guitar blending in with next part, it's no longer a single guitar and should be done on 2 tracks.
Change the word should to could and you'll have a valid statement. If you haven't heard the project, you're in no position to make blanket statements about the best way to handle that particular production.

Same with the more obvious overlapping vocals. You should always keep them on separate channels, else your compressor will slam it on the overlapping part and thus making it hard to hear the words.
Change will to might and again you'll have a valid statement. Yeah I know I'm picking nits but nits matter when it comes to this stuff. You simply don't know what vocalist is doing in each overlapping part nor do you know how the compressor is set. It might slam when they overlap. But not everyone uses compressors set to stun on all vocal tracks no matter what so then again, it might not slam the compressor at the overlap. And even if it does push the compressor a bit more at the overlap, how to do know that won't turn out to be desirable in that particular application?

Everything you're suggesting makes good sense for production general rules of thumb. But audio production is not one size fits all. Experimentation and alternative methods need to be an option if you're building a production tool that a wide swath of people will find value in. At least in my opinion.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
cohenville1
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/27 22:33:26 (permalink)
David (Resort Records),
You suggested in your comprehensive synopsis of Cubase avoiding installing the generic ASIO driver.  I'm seriously considering Cubase (vs. Studio One) and am in the process of installing the trial version of Cubase Pro 9.5.  I was hoping to not select the option to install that dubious generic ASIO driver, but I'm not seeing an option that would allow me to install it or not.

I understand also, from various posts, that it might be necessary to do the install, delete but back up the driver in order to avoid disrupting the installation of future updates as it apparently has to be present for the updates to install.  So, I'm ready to click on "install" and it looks to me like that generic ASIO driver will get installed no matter what I do.  Is that the case, or is there some action I can take first in this regard.

Note I tried posting this question on the Steinberg Cubase forum, and it apparently has not been approved for posting yet  - it's been 2 days and counting.  Because we only have a few more days to purchase the Cross-grade offer, and I was hoping to take it for a "test drive" before buying it, I can use some quick advice.

Thank you - cohenville1  
Resort Records
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 234
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/28 00:20:05 (permalink)
For 8.5, it was on one of the final installation prompts. For 9, now that you mention it, I don’t recall seeing the prompt either. [I haven’t upgraded to 9.5 yet.] If it’s not there anymore, you’ll have no choice but to install and disable or remove it.

For instructions, try this link out: https://www.kvraudio.com/...iewtopic.php?t=393887. It speaks of both, disabling and removing. Disabling is probably the safer route. I’m on a phone and can’t do much better right now, but there are other discussions that speak of the necessity to restore the driver when updating Cubase. If you’ve disabled the driver, it’s just a matter of restoring the respective file.

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
Markubl2
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/28 00:22:03 (permalink)
Just curious, why disable it at all?  Why not just choose the correct Asio driver for your interface?  That is what I did.   Maybe I'm missing something. 
SiTheMon
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/28 01:31:42 (permalink)
husker
Just curious, why disable it at all?  Why not just choose the correct Asio driver for your interface?  That is what I did.   Maybe I'm missing something. 

Thats what I did. Just go with the install defaults and change it when you open it. Worked for me

Its nice to be important but its more important to be NICE :-)
cohenville1
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/28 01:41:21 (permalink)
From my understanding, the installation of the generic ASIO driver with Cubase will cause conflicts with Sonar and other DAWS. A number of Sonar users have posted that information.... hence the suggestion to delete or disable it...
Markubl2
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/28 01:43:31 (permalink)
That may make some sense I guess.   I just rebuilt my Daw with Cubase.  Didn't even bother to install any Cakewalk products. 
anydmusic
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/28 10:16:14 (permalink)
husker

This works for me too.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
bwbalint
  • Total Posts : 296
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/28 13:55:27 (permalink)
In the audio program preferences you will have a choice as to which ASIO driver to use. As the other thread bearers have contributed, just choose the native driver for your device. Same for Samplitude, initially it appeared I would only have a choice of their generic driver, but in preferences, I easily could choose what I thought I wanted.

I did run some latency tests on the genetics and the native. All were within a msec or two. I find even with the native driver there is the occasional hangup switching from one DAW to another.

CbB latest incarnation, Focusrite Scarlett (2nd generation), WIN10 1809 build,  , MCU pro , Yamaha Motif classic 6 , focusrite ASA one
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/28 20:42:25 (permalink)
I am still on Cubase 8 (will install and upgrade to 9.5 in a couple of weeks).  Hopefully driver-related issues have improved since 8.  I have a Roland Quad Capture and use the drivers that came with it, for what that's worth.

The most annoying headache I have experienced with Cubase stability is when trying to run other audio software (e.g. a standalone synth) in the same boot session as Cubase.  More than a few times, the state of the drivers has gotten hosed and the only recourse seems to be a full reboot of the computer.  Taking away some of the driver choices might actually improve upon this but I never tried it (or even thought of it).

Like I said, I do hope things have improved since version 8.
Frank-US
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/29 09:34:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mitch_I 2017/12/29 17:30:28
JohanSebatianGremlin

Anyway now on to my question. Is there a setting to make playback stop at the end of the project? I've looked but can't find one. I asked over at the cubase forum but got no response yet. I've searched at the Cubase forum but only found threads that offered workarounds. Does such a function exist in Cubase?

Go to menu "TRANSPORT".
Under "PLAY PROJECT RANGE" you will find several options for start and stop of your project.
While one key command (alt /spacebar) is already available you can choose any short cut for the other options in the "KEY COMMANDS" window. Always the latest action is displayed there.

Cheers,
Frank
bwbalint
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/30 18:25:21 (permalink)
trying out a few things in Cubase 9.51 had been going relatively well, but yesterday I was surprised by the sudden freezing up of Cubase after clicking on a file in the MediaBay.  Even going to Win10 task manager didn't help in shutting Cubase down.  In fact Cubase went from an active app to a 'background' app when I clicked to 'Exit' it.

Rebooted the computer.  Everything else works fine.  Restarted Cubase.  Record and play back a few bars.  Then selected something from MediaBay.  Total Freeze and unresponsiveness.  Reboot necessary.  

Feels like I will need to reinstall everything.  What files, directories, registry components, *.xml or *.ini files might still be lurking around after I do a general uninstall of the program?

thanks for any directions!

CbB latest incarnation, Focusrite Scarlett (2nd generation), WIN10 1809 build,  , MCU pro , Yamaha Motif classic 6 , focusrite ASA one
cparmerlee
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/30 21:05:50 (permalink)
I have a strange thing with Cubase.  I created a simple project.  I dragged an MP3 into one track, then I set up a second audio track for recording.  I ended up recording three lanes.  They all have audio on them.  I can switch among the three takes with the S button on each lane and they sound as expected.  But no waveform appears visually anywhere on the track on on the three takes.  The waveform does appear on the MP3.  See the picture below:
https://drive.google.com/...6ZVTR/view?usp=sharing

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
swamptooth
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2229
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/31 02:55:03 (permalink)
cparmerlee
I have a strange thing with Cubase.  I created a simple project.  I dragged an MP3 into one track, then I set up a second audio track for recording.  I ended up recording three lanes.  They all have audio on them.  I can switch among the three takes with the S button on each lane and they sound as expected.  But no waveform appears visually anywhere on the track on on the three takes.  The waveform does appear on the MP3.  See the picture below:

https://www.steinberg.net...hilit=waveform#p702280

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

cparmerlee
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/31 03:21:16 (permalink)
swamptooth
cparmerlee

Lots of people are having this problem.  Here is the official workaround:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/115001765010-Cubase-9-5-waveforms-are-missing

Basically the issue only happens with 16-bit recording.  I normaly record 24 bit, but evidently I had some defaults set up for 16 bit. 

sonocrafters.com
swamptooth
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2229
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/31 03:43:19 (permalink)
cparmerlee
swamptooth
cparmerlee

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/115001765010-Cubase-9-5-waveforms-are-missing

Basically the issue only happens with 16-bit recording.  I normaly record 24 bit, but evidently I had some defaults set up for 16 bit. 

this has been resolved with the 9.5.1 update.

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

cparmerlee
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/31 04:49:14 (permalink)
swamptooth
cparmerlee
swamptooth
cparmerlee

Thanks.  Evidently Cubase doen't have any automatic updater or notification.  If there was a notification of the update, I missed it.  All is well after the update.

sonocrafters.com
anydmusic
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/31 15:01:38 (permalink)
cparmerlee
swamptooth
cparmerlee
swamptooth
cparmerlee

Thanks.  Evidently Cubase doen't have any automatic updater or notification.  If there was a notification of the update, I missed it.  All is well after the update.

I received a notification in the Cubase Hub on startup...

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
cparmerlee
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/31 15:19:53 (permalink)
anydmusic
cparmerlee
Evidently Cubase doen't have any automatic updater or notification.  If there was a notification of the update, I missed it.  All is well after the update.

I received a notification in the Cubase Hub on startup...

OK.  I guess I need to pay better attention.

sonocrafters.com
bwbalint
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/31 18:02:43 (permalink)
@bwbalint

It appears the preferences/set up folder  '%AppData%\Steinberg\Cubase 9.5_64\' can develop an anomaly.  Steve from the Steinberg/Cubase 9 forum had me delete this folder and let Cubase rebuild it on the next start.  This has fixed the problem at this point without having to delete everything and then start over.  sounds very similar to the one *.ini file in Sonar that can become corrupt.  Although I do forget it's official name.  

JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/31 20:54:06 (permalink)
Frank-US
JohanSebatianGremlin

Anyway now on to my question. Is there a setting to make playback stop at the end of the project? I've looked but can't find one. I asked over at the cubase forum but got no response yet. I've searched at the Cubase forum but only found threads that offered workarounds. Does such a function exist in Cubase?

Go to menu "TRANSPORT".
Under "PLAY PROJECT RANGE" you will find several options for start and stop of your project.
While one key command (alt /spacebar) is already available you can choose any short cut for the other options in the "KEY COMMANDS" window. Always the latest action is displayed there.

Cheers,
Frank

I appreciate the help Frank. Unfortunately, 'stop at end of project' isn't one of the options on the Play Project Range menu. Looks like there's some possibility for a workaround such as 'stop at next marker' once I figure out how to do that. I tried inserting a marker at the end of my current project but playback kept right on going so obviously I'm still doing something wrong.

One of the other Sonar features I will sorely miss is the ability to use CTRL-Spacebar to stop playback and remain at the current position when return to now on stop is set in preferences. Handy to have it return to now/start on stop most of the time and still be able to stop playback and keep focus right where you stopped on the fly when you want to quickly fix something.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/31 21:05:03 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
One of the other Sonar features I will sorely miss is the ability to use CTRL-Spacebar to stop playback and remain at the current position when return to now on stop is set in preferences. Handy to have it return to now/start on stop most of the time and still be able to stop playback and keep focus right where you stopped on the fly when you want to quickly fix something.

There is a key shortcut for toggling return-on-stop.  I customized the value to be ctrl-backspace to make it easy to remember.  I use ctrl-backspace all the time.  Not as good as a stop-and-stay-put key command, though.  That would be a very nice addition to Cubase, I think.
Resonant Serpent
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/31 21:16:08 (permalink)
bwbalint
@bwbalint

It appears the preferences/set up folder  '%AppData%\Steinberg\Cubase 9.5_64\' can develop an anomaly.  Steve from the Steinberg/Cubase 9 forum had me delete this folder and let Cubase rebuild it on the next start.  This has fixed the problem at this point without having to delete everything and then start over.  sounds very similar to the one *.ini file in Sonar that can become corrupt.  Although I do forget it's official name.  

Trashing preferences is a common solution. It's a good idea to save a copy of it while it's working great in case you need it in the future. 

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
Resonant Serpent
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2018/01/01 19:22:46 (permalink)
The CMC series is discontinued, but still works great with 9.5. The CMC-QC is on clearance right now.

http://www.musiciansfrien...nberg-quick-controller

bwbalint
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2018/01/01 20:10:08 (permalink)
Resonant Serpent
bwbalint
@bwbalint

Trashing preferences is a common solution. It's a good idea to save a copy of it while it's working great in case you need it in the future. 

Yes.  I did save a copy just in case trashing it wasn't corrective.  A good trashing was what was called for, so then I saved the new preference file.  

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1