Helpful ReplySonar Alternatives: Cubase

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
Resort Records
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 234
2017/12/02 01:54:37 (permalink)

Sonar Alternatives: Cubase

Gibson's news will have many Sonar users shopping for alternative DAWs, whether sooner or later.  I hope every user with professional experience on other DAWs will share their recommendations.  I'll begin with Cubase.  I encourage anyone with Cubase experience to augment my list of pros and cons below.  And if you have experience with another DAW, I hope you'll launch a similar discussion in its own thread.

For perspective, I'm a lifetime Sonar subscriber who's used it since Cakewalk Pro Audio.  Nonetheless, I jumped to Cubase Pro a year ago as I began working heavily in surround.  [Sonar wouldn't load Altiverb XL, for starters.]  After some research, I chose Cubase over the rest for its robust MIDI implementation, including full support for poly AT and release velocity.  I have used Cubase Pro 8.5 and 9.  Some of the features I mention will be available in Cubase Pro but not lesser versions.

The Good:
  • Strong MIDI support.  Cubase began as a MIDI sequencer in the 80s and, consequently, has thorough MIDI support.  If you're old-school, like me, with racks of vintage hardware synths, Cubase is a strong option.  The MIDI Editor is feature-rich and reliable.  Unlike Sonar, it supports polyphonic aftertouch and release velocity.  The program also features many MIDI "inserts" that can generate LFOs, arpeggios, patterns, etc.  I find them useful and inspiring.  And a lot of fun.  Mine is a fair sized rig, with three MOTO MIDI Timepiece AV interfaces (24 total MIDI ins and outs).  Setting up MIDI devices that aren't pre-defined by Steinberg is a chore but I've otherwise had no real problems between Cubase and my rig.  It's reliable.
  • Reliable automation.  In my experience, Cubase's automation curves are easier to manage and more reliable than Sonar's.  As of Cubase 9.5 (released just a week ago), automation now supports bezier curves - a long-requested feature.
  • Control Room.  The Control Room affords convenient monitor switching and cue management as would be found on a traditional mixing console.  If you're in a professional studio environment, you might really like this.
  • Feature rich.  Many features you'd pay extra for in other DAWs (e.g., pitch correction, beat slicing, sample editing) are built into Cubase Pro.  And, to be clear, these are fully functional and integrated features - not afterthoughts or LE versions of third-party tools.  I was expecting these features to be mere gimmicks, compared to Melodyne, for example, but have used the tempo matching feature quite a bit now and have no complaints.  The results are absolutely professional.
  • Excellent multi-monitor support.  I've got three ultra-wide monitors and Cubase does a nice job of putting what I want where I want it and remembering it.
  • Excellent control surface support.  I'm using an Avid Artist Transport and Artist Control.  Integration is intuitive and seamless.  Unfortunately, my experience with a Mackie Control and C4 were no better than on Sonar.  In particular, the C4 has virtually no support in either DAW.
  • Good surround support.
  • Reliability.  In a year, I've experienced one or two outright crashes.  With auto backups enabled, I've only lost a few minutes of work.  On Windows 10 64-bit, it's pretty reliable.  If memory serves, I had quite a bit more crashes in Sonar, though it's unclear how many were recent vs. ten years ago, for example.
  • Live video chats.  There's little mention (and broken links) of these on Steinberg's website, but once you find them on YouTube, Greg Ondo's bi-weekly video chats are a good educational resource.  So far, I've asked a half-dozen questions and received immediate answers to all but one of them.  When I emailed him, he emailed me the answer back the same day.  These are archived on YouTube.  Coincidentally, last week's chat was titled "Cubase Migration from Another DAW."  I only stuck around for the first 15 minutes and saw no discussion of the lead topic, but you might want to check it out.
  • Lots more.  There's a ton of additional features I simply haven't used.  The program is deep.  I hope other Cubase users will mention their favorites below.
The Bad:
  • Steinberg isn't a big fan of UI standards.  In some cases, the ingenuity improves efficiency.  In others, you'll be hard pressed to figure out a feature without a trip to the discussion forums.  As a new user, I found the interface quite aggravating.  [Maybe I'm just getting too old for "change."]  Locating a feature in the menus or buried in the various button bars, etc., is a hurdle.  Furthermore, as if the developers are still using single-screen 4:3 setups, many UI elements are quite small, in an apparent effort to squeeze as much of everything in as possible.  The result is buttons and sliders that are difficult to click without focused effort.
  • Cubase's MixConsole is flexible but pretty ugly when compared to Sonar's elegant Console View.
  • Simple tasks are sometimes unnecessarily complex.  On the bright side, I haven't found any brick walls in Cubase - anything critical I've needed to do, I've eventually found a solution for.  [There's often multiple ways to achieve the same result (for better and worse).]  In this regard, it's a professional-grade tool.  But, as stated above (and below), finding the solution often involves a scavenger hunt.
    • Take Kontakt for example:  Sonar can route all outputs from a Kontakt instrument (e.g., drum kit) to individual channels without any special effort and regardless of Kontakt's default output config.  It's automatic.  Cubase, on the other hand, cannot add/remove VST outputs on the fly when you change instruments and, if your Kontakt instrument contains a combination of mono and stereo outs, it will require dozens of hidden audio channels to route, pan, and combine the Kontakt outputs to the desired layout of audio channels.  Once you get it right, be sure to save your tracks to a "Track Archive" for easy recall.
    • Here's another example:  Audio takes.  By default, overlapping audio takes in a single Cubase track mask previous takes.  By contrast, Sonar will play overlapping takes.  To correct this in Cubase, one must draw crossfades on each take.  This is tedious.  If you're already in the habit of trimming/fading the tops and tails of your takes so they'll blend seamlessly wherever you put them, it's a huge nuissance.
  • The 1,300-page Operation Manual reads like a patent application.  "Component A contains a Switch (B) with three positions...."  In other words, it's a lot of dry feature lists without much discussion of application or theory.  Searching the docs for desired features will often return no results unless you hit upon the proper keywords.  Furthermore, some features are implemented as "plug-ins" and relegated to a separate manual altogether.  Unfortunately, third-party Cubase books dried up a few years ago.  [CORRECTION:  See "The Complete Guide to Music Technology Using Cubase 9."]  For example, the latest "Power!" book covers Cubase 6.  [Still, it has quite a bit of relevant info, just FYI.]  On the other hand, Lynda.com has some courses that are current and quite useful - I strongly recommend them.  You can get to Lynda.com freely with a public library card in many cases.  Otherwise, a one-month membership is cheap.  Also, YouTube is full of Cubase videos, FWIW.
  • The Steinberg forums don't hold a Christmas candle to Cakewalk's.  In the Cakewalk forums, discussions are typically productive and respectful.  By contrast, Steinberg's forums have too many fanboys and too little oversight.  Commonly, your thoughtfully worded questions will be sabotaged by dopes with no interest in helping you.  In fact, I've become so frustrated with the knee-jerk "it's not Cubase - it's you" responses, that I've taken to adding video demonstrations to my posts.  Amazingly, I still get responses from folks who clearly didn't pay any attention to what was said or shown.  To be fair, it's an active community - you will get prompt responses - and I've received a lot of good help there.
  • Until Cubase 9.5, I haven't seen much evidence that Steinberg reads their forums.  The forums are littered with unresolved discussions that repeat year after year.  With 9.5 several highly-visible discussions were addressed, including a few I was personally involved in.  So, things might be looking up.
  • No CAL.  To its credit, Cubase supports an enormous list of keyboard shortcuts and user-defined macros.  However, it lacks a versatile programming language.  The Transformer can do some things programmatically, but it's quite limited and documentation is poor.  Prepare to invest lots of time in trial-and-error.
  • No Surround Bridge.  Most of you won't care, but Sonar's Surround Bridge allows users to operate multiple instances of stereo plugins as a virtual surround plugin.  Very powerful and cost-effective.  No such thing exists in Cubase.
  • In my experience, Cubase upgrades aren't reliable.  Expect to see your preferences wiped clean from one version to the next.  This is a well-documented bug that has gone unfixed for years and affects some but not all users.
  • File management.  Cubase leaves files on your hard drive, even if you've deleted the clips from your project.  There is no preference setting to change this.  Once you've finished your overdubs and topped and tailed your clips, you'll want to delete the trimmings via Cubase's dedicated Media Pool to free up the disk space.  I'm not aware of any tools to perform such clean up duties en masse, so you'll have to do this per project.
  • No MIDI VST support.  For everything your DAW can't do with MIDI natively, there are many plug-ins that will.  Unfortunately, Cubase's MIDI Inserts only support Steinberg's proprietary modules.  [CORRECTION:  Cubase's MIDI Inserts only support VST-MA formatted plug-ins.  While the VST-MA format isn't proprietary, only a fraction of the freely and commercially available MIDI VST plugins currently support it.]
  • Other quirks.  I am constantly discovering little quirks in Cubase - too many to list here.  These aren't deal-breakers and can usually be worked around but it's frustrating and sloppy.  It has the feel of a product that was released too soon.  The company and its software would benefit from some quality management, IMHO.  This is evident in its other products too - I also use WaveLab.  [Again, it's a useful tool, but talk about a bizarre UI!]
    • Here's an example:  Cubase's Auto LFO MIDI Insert is a useful tool for generating LFOs to CCs, but they cycle every 239 ticks per beat rather than 240.  Huh?!  Consequently, if you're modulating a filter on your synth, it'll slowly go out of sync with your project.  This might not be bad with a subtle sine wave, but a square wave that's supposed to follow the beat?  Nope.  The workaround is to record a cycle of the MIDI data and, as necessary, nudge things into place after the fact.  Copy.  Paste.  Grrrr.  The point is, you'll find minor aggravations like this throughout Cubase.
  • When installing Cubase and prompted to install the "Generic ASIO Driver," don't (unless you're certain you need it).  This can mess up audio in other programs - particularly Sonar - and is difficult to remove, requiring manual edits to your Windows registry.  [CORRECTION:  It can also be disabled rather than uninstalled.  It's a workaround that requires manually renaming some files (and restoring them during Cubase updates or you might see problems).  I haven't done it and don't know the details but, for most users, this will be preferable to editing the registry.]
To summarize, it's worth repeating:  I have yet to discover any brick wall limitations - any "deal breakers" - in Cubase.  Lots of quirks.  Quirks that should've been ironed out many versions ago.  It's slow to learn - you will scream.  But, after a few months of hands-on learning, I'm back to the grind and getting serious work done.  The key, in my experience, is to figure out what works for your routine and automate the drudgery out of it, either through templates or Track Archives, for example.

I hope this is helpful.

post edited by Resort Records - 2017/12/13 23:33:49

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 02:44:28 (permalink)
Thanks for the great summary David! 

One of my concerns with Cubase is that it may suffer the same legacy of decades of layered code, updates and convoluted behaviour that plagued Sonar. I was used to its quirks and they were never be enough to drive me away. Now that I have to change, I really want to strike that balance between deep features and young and snappy. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 02:58:01 (permalink)
Good info, thanks!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
tparker24
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 544
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 03:42:35 (permalink)
Another GOOD feature is nested  folders!
Resort Records
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 03:45:14 (permalink)
tenfoot
One of my concerns with Cubase is that it may suffer the same legacy of decades of layered code, updates and convoluted behaviour that plagued Sonar.

I suspect you're right.  And it might explain why those old Cubase features are still quirky - nobody wants to look at, let alone debug, somebody else's ancient code.

On the other hand, that's almost certainly why Cubase checked my boxes.  As far as I can tell, the newer DAWs have comparatively limited MIDI support, perhaps because there just isn't much demand for polyphonic aftertouch, etc., anymore.  For myself, poly AT was a critical requirement (and, to a much lesser degree, release velocity).  I couldn't find another DAW with equal support for it.

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
AllanH
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 03:54:59 (permalink)
I purchased Cubase 9.5 Pro to give myself sufficient time with the transition. The biggest hurdle is really that Cubase is different more so than better or worse. I've had many "how the heck ***" moments with Sonar over the years and I'm now having some of that with Cubase. I suspect it will all make sense at some point within a few months.

Steinberg YouTube and Groove3 is helping. I agree with Resort Records that Cubase has no obvious limitations over Sonar.
Still a bummer.

Sonar Platinum, EWHO/D, Spitfire, Miroslav, Pianoteq, ....,  Kurzweil.
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 04:00:08 (permalink)
Resort Records
tenfoot
One of my concerns with Cubase is that it may suffer the same legacy of decades of layered code, updates and convoluted behaviour that plagued Sonar.

I suspect you're right.  And it might explain why those old Cubase features are still quirky - nobody wants to look at, let alone debug, somebody else's ancient code.

On the other hand, that's almost certainly why Cubase checked my boxes.  As far as I can tell, the newer DAWs have comparatively limited MIDI support, perhaps because there just isn't much demand for polyphonic aftertouch, etc., anymore.  For myself, poly AT was a critical requirement (and, to a much lesser degree, release velocity).  I couldn't find another DAW with equal support for it.

Thanks again for the info David. I am battling with exactly the same scaled down midi issues. Just spending some time with alternatives to see what lies hidden and what I can live without for the greater good:) Cubase Vs Studio One seem to be my options.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
cuitlahac
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 196
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 04:38:32 (permalink)
Thanks for taking the time to post this....... very helpful in my paced considerations.

Cheers!

Dave

Dave-
SONAR Platinum, +Producer 5,7,8.5,X1PE, X2, X3e,Win7 Pro 64bit, SoundForge 10, CD Architect, Izotope 7 Advanced & Insight Metering, RAIN ION rack PC, (Nehalem) Xeon(R) CPU @ 3.06Ghz, 6GB DDR3 Ram, 2 WD640GB SATA II 7200rpm HDD's, LaCie 300GB HDD , ATI Radeon 4650 graphics (1GB) running Dual Monitors, Antelope Orion 32 + MP32 Pre's, SSL Matrix 2 Hybrid Console, M-Audio Bx8a Monitors w/ Energy 90w-12" sub, Roland A-800 PRO, BOSS BR-1600 DRS, Shure KSMs, 85s, 57s, 58s, Shure PSM Monitor, Gibson guitars, Fender P Bass.
ericyeoman
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 976
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 13:55:53 (permalink)
Concerning the Generic ASIO Driver, this got installed (I hadn't seen this post at the time) and Sonars driver did get switched to it. Switched it back to my preferred driver and all has worked fine since.

Am able to swap between Sonar, Cubase, and Ableton with no problems.

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 15:32:03 (permalink)
Thanks for the report, David. Very thorough.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

abacab
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 15:42:43 (permalink)
ericyeoman
Concerning the Generic ASIO Driver, this got installed (I hadn't seen this post at the time) and Sonars driver did get switched to it. Switched it back to my preferred driver and all has worked fine since.

That Generic ASIO Driver is something to watch out for.  This happened to me when I installed the Elements demo.

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 15:52:21 (permalink)
abacab
ericyeoman

That Generic ASIO Driver is something to watch out for.  This happened to me when I installed the Elements demo.

More DAWs are coming out with their own ASIO driver.  I do believe ASIO4ALL is open source and that's what it is just a different name.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
abacab
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 15:54:22 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
abacab
ericyeoman

More DAWs are coming out with their own ASIO driver.  I do believe ASIO4ALL is open source and that's what it is just a different name.

This caused Sonar to stop working.  I already have a dedicated ASIO device.

JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 17:21:36 (permalink)
Indeed - The Cubase generic ASIO driver does interfere with Sonar. I found that out when I was using Sonar and Cubase next to each other. However, you do not have to jump through hoops to disable the Cubase generic ASIO driver. Just make a directory on your harddisk with a simple name, and go to C:\Program Files\Steinberg and move (thus move, not copy) the directory "Asio" to the backup directory. After that restart your computer, and Sonar and Cubase will work in perfect harmony. So - No need to dabble with the registry or something like that (I would even strongly advise against it).

Do not forget to move that directory back when you do an Cubase update, otherwise the installer will complain about missing files. You can move that directory out of the way again after the update.

I have noticed that only Sonar seems to have this problem. Other DAW's on my computer work normal with the Cubase generic ASIO driver in working order.

Hope this helps.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 18:01:45 (permalink)
tenfoot
Thanks for the great summary David! 

One of my concerns with Cubase is that it may suffer the same legacy of decades of layered code, updates and convoluted behaviour that plagued Sonar. I was used to its quirks and they were never be enough to drive me away. Now that I have to change, I really want to strike that balance between deep features and young and snappy. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

This is a concern of mine as well as I select a new DAW. Sonar had a ton of really hard to pin down bugs and quirks that I'm convinced were caused by legacy code and new code not getting along.  Legacy code wasn't necessarily written to be future proof, and I can't imagine developers enjoy reverse engineering code that perhaps isn't documented sufficiently. Apart from anything it's a drain on resources. 

Many of Sonar's oddities were impossible to reproduce with a recipe, which meant that unless the Bakers had an "a-ha!" moment of enlightenment, the chances of them being fixed were small. I must have brought up dozens of issues on the beta forum that never ended up as bug reports because they could not be reproduced at will. Sometimes I would attach projects along with a bug report, in the hope that the project would demonstrate the behavior even if I couldn't come up with the steps. Oftentimes I would hear back "we're not seeing this at our end," which suggests that some bugs were peculiar to specific machines or installations - even harder to track down. A couple of times I heard "we're aware of this but we're not going to fix it because to do so would break another part of the program" (in discussions in the public forum no less) which again suggests a problem caused by legacy code that would have taken too long to get to the bottom of - the Bakers obviously had to manage their project resources frugally and taking the engine apart to find something that was more of an annoyance than a showstopper was probably deemed to be an inefficient use of their budget. So, many of the annoyances stayed across versions without any hope of a fix. 

An example of this is that 3 years ago I reported a problem with automation envelopes becoming misaligned when looping a section. A horrible problem which means that you cannot always rely on your automation playing accurately when a loop is enabled. The bug was never fixed, and looping in general has a ton of related problems in Sonar. I suspect that the looping code is an example of the core legacy code which made problems so hard to pin down. Some of the program probably needed a rewrite but they didn't have the budget to do this alongside the pressure to add new features and the like. 

So one of my main attractions with switching DAW's is to start with a fresh young program that has a modern, coherent code base. That's why I'm looking at Bitwig and S1. I know that Cubase is probably one of the most powerful, feature rich DAWs in comparison with Sonar, but when I think about it I didn't use half of Sonar's features. Do I really want a bunch of functionality that I'll rarely need, at the expense of potentially dealing with a set of hard to fix, hard-baked bugs in ancient code? 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 18:41:04 (permalink)
The biggest problem I am having is that there seems to have been a huge terminology change in 9.5 so almost everything I see online -- INCLUDING Steinberg documentation -- does not match the product.  It is almost as if they just went in an renamed functions randomly just to confuse people.

Like the OP, I have not found anything that is a complete show stopper, but I really wish they would deliver ARA support for Melodyne.  Steinberg's alternative is pretty good, but it is no Melodyne.

I find Steinberg's chord support very powerful and wish they would do something similar to "Follow chords" in their Dorico notation product.  If you are a person who tends to think in chords wile composing or arranging, block out 4 hours to really understand what Cubase does in that area.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 18:46:00 (permalink)
Our problem was to find a DAW that has all audio features like SONAR or better, becaue we have to work with thousends of tapes and have them to restore. Therefore we bought now Cubase 9.5.
Things that are very easy in SONAR, are very complicated in Cubase. For example to set a simple marker. You have to insert a markertrack. Then you must click on an icon and then go into the markerwindow to name it !!!
Cubase can not render an insert effect to a clip - like in SONAR "applying effect". Instead of this Cubase 9.5 has a powerful feature that can render effects offline to thousends of clips, each clip with his own backup-history. So you can always go back to the original, for every single clip individually.
I always wished that we can name the audioclips in the Eventlist of SONAR. Cubase has a list (audio pool) where you can autoname the clips and batch-export them to autonamed filenames.

So we can not use a "fresh young" program. Because we would miss a lot of audiofeatures.
The learning curve will be very hard for Cubase.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 18:49:07 (permalink)
cparmerlee
Like the OP, I have not found anything that is a complete show stopper, but I really wish they would deliver ARA support for Melodyne.  Steinberg's alternative is pretty good, but it is no Melodyne.

You don't need ARA for Melodyne. I always inserted Melodyne as a VST-plugin and did all editions in the Melodyne-Editor (inside SONAR). This is because I worked with Melodyne years befor SONAR had ARA.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
abacab
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 19:04:28 (permalink)
The Melodyne Essential license is portable as well, not tied to Sonar.

Resort Records
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 19:18:54 (permalink)
ericyeoman

Good to know.

Just FYI, I'm told that the Generic ASIO Driver isn't meant to replace your audio hardware's purpose-built ASIO driver, if you have one, even in Cubase.  Steinberg offers the generic driver in case your audio hardware didn't come with an ASIO driver.  Unfortunately, they don't make this clear in the installation dialogs, so it's difficult to make an informed decision.  So, if you installed it, in addition to correcting it in Sonar and other audio applications, be sure to choose your audio card's ASIO driver in Cubase > Devices > Device Setup... > VST Audio System > ASIO Driver.  You should see improved performance.

JClosed
So - No need to dabble with the registry or something like that (I would even strongly advise against it).

Good advice.  If you're comfortable disabling it rather than uninstalling it, that's the safer approach.  The failures I noticed after installing the Generic ASIO Driver - and not just with Sonar either - put me into a panic, so I jumped to the conclusion that an uninstall was the only thing that would restore my confidence.  For the record, I was successful but, yeah, dabbling in the registry is risky business.

sharke
So one of my main attractions with switching DAW's is to start with a fresh young program that has a modern, coherent code base. That's why I'm looking at Bitwig and S1. I know that Cubase is probably one of the most powerful, feature rich DAWs in comparison with Sonar, but when I think about it I didn't use half of Sonar's features. Do I really want a bunch of functionality that I'll rarely need, at the expense of potentially dealing with a set of hard to fix, hard-baked bugs in ancient code? 

I think that's an accurate synopsis of the Cubase situation.  And, one hopes, a fresh, young team of enthusiastic developers will be more inclined to address our bug reports and feature requests.  Playing the Devil's Advocate, I suspect that those young developers will also target loop-based producers more so than traditional composers.  If Native Instruments is any indication, that's where the buzz (and money) is.  Remember when NI's product line consisted of just vintage keyboard emulations?  <sigh>  Now, it's all about the EDM.  Devices like the Roli Seaboard give me hope that support for full-featured keyboard controllers will make a comeback, but I doubt they'll ever fully support the old-school MIDI features of my trusty ol' Kurzweil MIDIBoard (ca. 1987).  That's the trade-off some of us face.

BTW, I would love it if somebody demos Studio One, Reaper, etc., and proves me wrong.  Maybe one of the young upstarts supports the full MIDI spec after all?  Hope springs eternal.

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
cparmerlee
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 19:42:05 (permalink)
THambrecht
 For example to set a simple marker. You have to insert a markertrack. Then you must click on an icon and then go into the markerwindow to name it !!!

Yes, and that text box for renaming the marker is nowhere close to the marker itself.  It is insane.  The obvious thing would be to clock on the marker, allowing the user to edit in place.  I find lots of example where you have to click something in one part of the screen, but then go to a distant part of the screen to actually change the parameter.  I guess one gets use to it, but it is very poor on the intuitive scale.
Another example is enabling and disabling the control room.  To enable it, you simply click the enable button within the CR window.  But if you want to disable it, you have to know (somehow) that you must hit F4 which brings up a very detailed dialog, and deep inside that dialog is a tiny button that disables the CR.  It just isn't a very sensible UI, IMHO.
Another example, Cubase automatically recognized my Scarlett 18i20, but only displayed the first two inputs.  It took me an hour of hunting to find the place where I could add the remaining paths, and it was nowhere near the place where you select the channel you want (which would have made sense), nor was it near the place where you can open the control panel for the audio interface.
When I started using StudioOne, everything seemed just where you would guess it to be.

Cubase is working reliably and is full function, so I am not terribly worried about it, but the level of inelegance is really a bit jolting, especially coming from a company that has such a high opinion of itself.

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
sharke
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 20:07:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/12/03 01:02:13
Resort Records

sharke

I think that's an accurate synopsis of the Cubase situation.  And, one hopes, a fresh, young team of enthusiastic developers will be more inclined to address our bug reports and feature requests.  Playing the Devil's Advocate, I suspect that those young developers will also target loop-based producers more so than traditional composers.  If Native Instruments is any indication, that's where the buzz (and money) is.  Remember when NI's product line consisted of just vintage keyboard emulations?  <sigh>  Now, it's all about the EDM.  Devices like the Roli Seaboard give me hope that support for full-featured keyboard controllers will make a comeback, but I doubt they'll ever fully support the old-school MIDI features of my trusty ol' Kurzweil MIDIBoard (ca. 1987).  That's the trade-off some of us face.

BTW, I would love it if somebody demos Studio One, Reaper, etc., and proves me wrong.  Maybe one of the young upstarts supports the full MIDI spec after all?  Hope springs eternal.

The thing is, I don't know of any EDM producers who just throw loops together. The whole "loop based" thing is a cliche, and you'll find that most EDM productions are extremely complicated affairs which utilize the power and features of a DAW to their max. You'll find extremely involved MIDI editing and routing, and every classic production technique (as well as a bunch of modern ones that are specific to electronic music). A lot of electronic producers spend months on a track, oftentimes drawing out hundreds of lanes of automation that would rival any symphonic production. Electronic music has always been on the cutting edge of audio technology, and many of these new production techniques are useful to all kinds of genres. That's why I believe that if Cakewalk had directed their efforts toward making Sonar more appealing to the EDM crowd, not only would we have had an even more awesome DAW with a lot of excellent and very useful features, but a larger user base as well. The young starry eyed EDM bedroom producer is driving a large part of today's DAW sales and tapping into that market is going to be good for the long term future of any DAW. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 21:36:21 (permalink)
I'm studying the Cubase 9.5 trial at the moment, and find myself really missing a lot of Sonar features.
I think the feature I miss the most is X-Ray . . . anyone know of an equivalent in Cubase ?

I also called up the Sonar Key commands in Cubase, which really helps in the DAW transition.

I really like the fact that Markers are done on a "marker track", which will surely help in a larger project to copy that track downwards.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Makzimia
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 258
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 22:10:05 (permalink)
I’m diving back into Cubase 9.5 Pro currently. That being said I’ve not dived deep enough for it to frustrate me in any way, yet. One thing I’d like to point out to those looking at old code as an issue. As some with a programming background wife over 30 years experience, old code overall was better written than today’s coders :).

A lot of sloppy programming today, oh it’s fine lots of resources. When you only initially had maybe 1mb of ram and 20mb hard drives, or floppy disks.. well you worked at a very different approach. One of reasons a lot of people have stuck with Cakewalk and Cubase is because overall, they’ve been powerful and consistent, quirks aside :).

Tony

Tony Carpenter
Castille Productions
Sonar Platinum//Cubase 10 Pro//Logic Pro X 
Mac Pro Dual Xeon 6 core 3.46ghz
32GB RAM
UA Apollo Quad FireWire, UAD2 Quad, X-touch, NI 12 Ultimate Collectors, Montage 7

Resort Records
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/02 23:50:24 (permalink)
sharke
The thing is, I don't know of any EDM producers who just throw loops together. The whole "loop based" thing is a cliche, and you'll find that most EDM productions are extremely complicated affairs which utilize the power and features of a DAW to their max. You'll find extremely involved MIDI editing and routing, and every classic production technique (as well as a bunch of modern ones that are specific to electronic music). A lot of electronic producers spend months on a track, oftentimes drawing out hundreds of lanes of automation that would rival any symphonic production. Electronic music has always been on the cutting edge of audio technology, and many of these new production techniques are useful to all kinds of genres. That's why I believe that if Cakewalk had directed their efforts toward making Sonar more appealing to the EDM crowd, not only would we have had an even more awesome DAW with a lot of excellent and very useful features, but a larger user base as well. The young starry eyed EDM bedroom producer is driving a large part of today's DAW sales and tapping into that market is going to be good for the long term future of any DAW. 

I meant no offense.  Clearly, we agree where a good chunk of the DAW market is and what drives innovation.  If I sound cynical, it's mostly that the current generation of keyboard controllers is so cheap when compared to those of yesteryear.  To this point, is anyone even making a keyboard controller with MIDI polyphonic aftertouch anymore?  If not, it suggests the market isn't interested in such nuanced performance.  Or, to be fair, maybe the bedroom market simply doesn't have the budget for those unavoidably pricey controllers.  Either way, it's a tight spot.

noynekker
I really like the fact that Markers are done on a "marker track", which will surely help in a larger project to copy that track downwards.

A useful tip for the Marker Track is to position it at the top and enable the Divide Track List option.  [It's the "/" icon in the upper right corner of the track screen.]  Then, stretch the upper split to just contain the Marker Track (and perhaps the Tempo and Signature Tracks, etc., if you also use those.)  It'll keep your markers from scrolling off the screen - more like Sonar.  Save this in your main project template.

Makzimia
A lot of sloppy programming today, oh it’s fine lots of resources. When you only initially had maybe 1mb of ram and 20mb hard drives, or floppy disks.. well you worked at a very different approach.

So true.  I wrote 8086/88 Assembly Language in the 80s.  If you didn't mind your resources and document the living crap out of everything, you were totally lost.  Object-oriented programming might be quicker but certainly doesn't demand as much from the programmer.

Then again, I tried my hand at OOP (ActionScript) a few years ago and just about fried my noggin'.  I'm just not wired that way.  Really difficult to trace if you're inspecting somebody else's code too.  So, I gotta give up some respect.

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
sharke
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/03 01:15:53 (permalink)
I agree that the standard of coding was probably a lot better back in the day. After all, they had to wring every last clock cycle out of a processor and not a single bit of memory went to waste. 

Coding is one thing, but what about software design - was that better back in the day as well? I don't think it was. The design of software is much more advanced now. Coding is just putting a design into practice. So regardless of how efficient some of that legacy code will be (and I have no doubt that it will contain routines of logic that couldn't possibly be coded any tighter), the fact remains that it was written to implement a software design that is now out of date. Who knows how much redundant code is in there, and how much of it is sneakily causing problems today in ways that would be a huge undertaking to track down and debug? Especially if it isn't documented sufficiently. 

And it's not just the source code either - won't that code also rely at least partly on legacy libraries that were stopped being developed or updated years ago? Who knows what kind of bugs are hidden in those.

James
cparmerlee
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/03 01:28:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/12/03 01:37:58
I don't think it is a question of code quality per se.  Most of the programming in the early days was for business systems.  The computers were expensive and the programmers were somewhat rare. There emerged very strong disciplines for designing, building and deploying systems.  The goal was for the system to be exactly what the systems analysts had specified months or years earlier.

We are in a world of cheap computers, abundant tools, and plentiful people able to use the tools one way or another. But most of these people are not working on "core business systems", so to speak.  The systems they are building are considered more art than science in many cases; consequently the disciplines of the early days just aren't followed much anymore.

That, fundamentally is why today's systems are so vulnerable to hacks.  The priority was on producing the next cool feature, not on making sure there were no loopholes a hacker could exploit.  And that struggle continues today.

That doesn't mean today's coders are more or less capable.  The nature of the job has changed radically.

sonocrafters.com
abacab
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/03 01:33:49 (permalink)
Speaking of code, and the issues faced by Cakewalk development with porting Sonar to the Mac platform, at least Cubase is cross platform already. 

The advantage to that is probably not having so much legacy code wrapped tightly around Windows libraries, and the dependencies that creates.  Platform independence could be a good thing in that regard! 

msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/03 03:33:43 (permalink)
While I've only had Cubase Pro 9.5 now for about a week, I'm pretty sure MIDI VST's work, since I've got Kirnu Cream feeding MIDI to AAS Player without too much trouble.  There does seem to be a lot of problems in the past with this, but this web page describes exactly what worked for me.

http://www.codefn42.com/faq_routing_cubase.html

Or am I just missing something?  Why would I care about the MIDI Inserts (which are just Steinberg's I guess)?

-Matt

Resort Records
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/03 05:45:49 (permalink)
sharke
Coding is one thing, but what about software design - was that better back in the day as well? I don't think it was. The design of software is much more advanced now.

I agree.  If you look at phone apps, for example, UIs have gotten so polished and efficient.  And standardized - everyone knows how to operate most any phone app without any real education.  With a few exceptions, you know what the app is supposed to do, the controls get right to the point, and it works.  Well, usually. 

That's why Cubase drives me nuts.  Generally, the engine is powerful.  Now, if they would just adhere to modern UI design standards, rather than going maverick at every opportunity, the program would be so much more accessible.  [For example, they could start by moving most of the Devices menu under Preferences, where those things belong.]  As others have said, it's like they're trying to trip us up or something.

cparmerlee
I don't think it is a question of code quality per se.  Most of the programming in the early days was for business systems.  The computers were expensive and the programmers were somewhat rare. There emerged very strong disciplines for designing, building and deploying systems.  The goal was for the system to be exactly what the systems analysts had specified months or years earlier.

In the context of DAWs (or "sequencers"), early desktop hardware was really the bottleneck and forced programmers to be very efficient.  I remember writing video drivers in Assembly Language where the difference between using a SHR (Shift Right - equivalent to dividing by a factor of 2) and a DIV (Divide) - just a couple of processing cycles - could actually be seen on the monitor once the code block was being called thousands of times per second to refresh the pixels.  It was really pushing the limits of CGA video (to date myself).

Today, the hardware is so powerful, a couple of cycles won't be missed (though I'm sure the programmers at nVidea are pretty diligent re frame rates).  It doesn't guarantee sloppy programming but encourages it and, importantly, the effects are cumulative.  Compound it with time and modern object-oriented techniques, whereby new programmers have little need to understand the blocks they're building on top of, and you can imagine the potential for inefficient code.  And bugs.

It supports the argument that newer applications will be leaner and more reliable (if perhaps lacking in legacy features), if only because the company is on its first generation of programmers and everyone knows what's what from the ground up.

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1