Helpful ReplySonar Lives - Your Questions Answered

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 04:52:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ansu 2018/02/24 11:21:15
Anderton
So the gloom and doom team doesn't have a very good track record. I'm betting on the other guys  

I do have some familiarity with deals on this level, and they take quite a while to finalize - particularly with a company like Cakewalk that had several third-party relationships. Be patient, and enjoy the ride.

Good things come to those who are patient. You might very well be surprised by the outcome in a few weeks or months. After the announcement in Nov I suggested patience instead of panic. I think it worked itself out pretty well all things considered don't you think?
post edited by Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] - 2018/02/24 13:39:45

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
blazingedgepro
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 05:00:42 (permalink)
Well, I for one am excited about the continuation of Cakewalk under Bandlab. Previously all I could hope for was that the servers would keep running and still allow me to use SONAR. Now there's hope it'll actually continue in development. From all that we've seen, I think it's extremely unlikely that everything will fold up and SONAR will cease to exist on our computers. Let's stop complaining please!
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 07:08:46 (permalink)
YAY!!!
JoeOss
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 09:13:31 (permalink)
Cakewalk was dead now it is alive again is that not a good thing. I definitely think so. Thanks
Bandlab
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 10:14:46 (permalink)
This is indeed good news, but there are always someone that has to see it from a different point of view.
As of now, we know what has been written by the people in charge.
Give it a few days/weeks to unfold, and we might have more understanding of all of this.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

RickJP909
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 155
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 10:48:28 (permalink)
Anderton
So the gloom and doom team doesn't have a very good track record. I'm betting on the other guys  

I do have some familiarity with deals on this level, and they take quite a while to finalize - particularly with a company like Cakewalk that had several third-party relationships. Be patient, and enjoy the ride.

Good things come to those who are patient. You might very well be surprised by the outcome in a few weeks or months. After the announcement in Nov I suggested patience instead of panic. I think it worked itself pretty well all things considered don't you think?

Indeed Noel and my father taught me that patience often prevails in the long run.

Having just been through a “year of uncertainty hell” while my organisation restructured my department and finally becoming redundant yesterday, which was quite an emotional experience after many years, this news made my “bloody day” and really reiterates the above sentiment.  It also gives me hope for the future and reiterates another saying “when one door closes, another opens” – you just have to look for it!

Considering the history of Cakewalk and recent financial challenges, it makes perfect sense to me why this outcome would seem to be the best in that, Cakewalk as a company hasn’t been purchased but rather the IP, its core products because in this way Cakewalk’s core strengths, such as Sonar, can truly live on and allowed to flourish but at the same time, be freed from being pinned to legacy difficulties.

I’m really glad to see Noel and Ben being taken on into the new order because this gives me the confidence that Sonar will be developed in continuation with its original values and visions going forward.

For the record, this is exactly why, while I looked at other DAWs in case it all went “pear-shaped “, I’ve stuck with using Sonar and also not bolted from this forum.

The future is bright, the future is “Sonar Re-Imagined” so long live Cakewalk and the legacy which is to be SONAR!

Synth Hardware Aficionado!  Moog Sub 37, Roland MKS-70/XV-5080/JV-1000/JP-8000/JP-8080/Boutique JP-08, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Korg EX-8000/MS2000B, Novation Super Bass Station/A-Station/Drum Station 2/Supernova 2, E-MU Orbit-3, Edirol UM-550/880, Lexicon MX300, Akai MPD226, Mackie ProFX22, M-Audio Delta Soundcard.  PC: AMD FX-6350, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Sonar X2a Producer/Platinum (32-bit).
Jonness
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 11:04:33 (permalink)
"So the gloom and doom team doesn't have a very good track record. I'm betting on the other guys "

Actually, the gloom and doom team won the bet when Gibson chose to renege on the lifetime membership deal. But that's beside the point.

I have hundreds of hours of original material recorded on the Sonar Platinum Lifetime Membership platform. The last time I visited this site Gibson stated something to the effect of, don't worry because, even though they gave up on Sonar as a product, they still planned on keeping the activation site up permanently. Now I'm reading, it's possible the activation site no longer works. What I need to know is, what steps do I need to take right now to protect my precious life's work? Can I activate my remaining software, install the latest updates, and backup my drive in an attempt protect myself in the future? Or do I risk breaking my current build if I try? Is there a FAQ posted somewhere for end users explaining how to handle the current situation? Or have we simply been abandoned by Gibson?

Thanks. :)
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 11:14:53 (permalink)
Read the sticky on the SONAR forum. It is all explained there.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 12:52:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/02/24 12:58:44
We were given great news yesterday in the announcement that Cakewalk/Sonar is being rescued from oblivion.
It's cause to celebrate, to be relieved, to have hope, and to be happy.   I read the all the announcements and information posted by BandLab and thought that just in the first 24 hours of the initial announcement, we got much more information than most of us could have hoped for.  Including the statement:
"...our steadfast goal is that former SONAR owners (of all versions) will not need to spend any money to cross-over/cross-grade to the future flagship product."

And yet after reading all of THIS thread's negative, impatient, worst-case-scenario comments by a handful of doom and gloomers, it basically sucked all the celebratory feelings I originally had after reading that Cakewalk and Sonar have a new lease on life.

There should be a separate thread called, "The Nitpicker's rantings of everything and anything that could possibly go wrong or not exactly how I'd like it."
As well as the "I expected to have every question answered within the first 24 hours of this announcement  thread." 
We waited several months for good news like this.  Can't you folks find the patience to wait a few more days or weeks to get more information before projecting the worst case scenario of every aspect of this otherwise happy news???
And for the love of God and all that is holy, can you PLEASE stop attacking one and other?  We don't want our new friends at BandLab thinking we're a bunch of immature, angry knuckleheads that can't be civil enough whenever something new is announced.

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 13:48:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kamikaze 2018/02/24 13:52:09
There is no "Gibson activation" site. Activation is handled both by the application and the Cakewalk webside back end.
BandLab have acquired all assets and that includes the website and back end. So nothing is going to happen to existing activation's during or after the transition to BandLab. If you choose the reinstall the software the same activation process with apply as before.
If we choose to change how this is done in the future of course we're going to make sure that existing customers are not affected so there is no need for needless worry.

Noel Borthwick
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 13:56:09 (permalink)
Thank you for the clarification.

dlesaux
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1034
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 13:56:31 (permalink)
"...our steadfast goal is that former SONAR owners (of all versions) will not need to spend any money to cross-over/cross-grade to the future flagship product."

Doesn't this mean we can cross over to their BandLab platform (enhanced with the newly acquired Sonar code and plugins)? Why would BandLab release Sonar in its present form and compete with themselves meaning, compete with their own flagship product (i.e. BandLab)?

Peace!
Daniel

Sonar Platinum - 2017.10 and PreSonus Studio One 3.5.5
Windows 10 64 bit
Studiocat Skylake Desktop PC with Intel i7 6700k processor @ 4.20 GHz / 16G RAM 
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface and Cakewalk UM-2G Midi Interface

Check out my website
StarTekh
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2007
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 13:59:32 (permalink)
Never Say Die !
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 14:00:01 (permalink)
dlesaux

Doesn't this mean we can cross over to their BandLab platform (enhanced with the newly acquired Sonar code and plugins)? Why would BandLab release Sonar in its present form and compete with themselves meaning, compete with their own flagship product (i.e. BandLab)?

"the reason why I am not using the word SONAR when referring to the new flagship product is not because it's planned to be a different product, it's just that we're doing the legal/brand work to make sure calling it that would be the right thing to do and wouldn't cause any confusion in the market given the circumstances over the last couple of months. You can take it to mean "future version of SONAR, or whatever it might be called". 
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3730932

royarn
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 427
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 15:22:06 (permalink)
Anderton

Good things come to those who are patient. You might very well be surprised by the outcome in a few weeks or months. After the announcement in Nov I suggested patience instead of panic. I think it worked itself out pretty well all things considered don't you think?

So glad that you will be with us into the future Noel, looking forward to seeing what develops.
Roy

INTEL HASWELL Core i5 4670K Z87-K MB, 16 gig DDR3 ram, 250 gig ssd 1 x 250 gig 1 x 1TB sata 2 drives,Faderport 1, Motif ES 6, Focusrite 8i6. Windows 10 64 bit. Sonar Platinum Lifetime Updates.CbB .
Jonness
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 15:49:13 (permalink)
There is no "Gibson activation" site. Activation is handled both by the application and the Cakewalk webside back end.
BandLab have acquired all assets and that includes the website and back end. So nothing is going to happen to existing activation's during or after the transition to BandLab. If you choose the reinstall the software the same activation process with apply as before.
If we choose to change how this is done in the future of course we're going to make sure that existing customers are not affected so there is no need for needless worry.

Noel:
Thank you for your targeted and well thought-out explanation! It's a huge asset to have someone on this forum who exercises sound logic. I truly appreciate your response. :)
SandlinJohn
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 16:23:32 (permalink)

My concern wasn't that the activation processes were on Gibson servers. I was more concerned that Gibson would go under and liquidate assets and not sell them to someone that cares about the SONAR community. Without a perspective that provided a view of how bad things really are (the financial media is not making it look good for Gibson right now, with August being a critical deadline) or are not, and not knowing about negotiations in progress, I felt slightly pessimistic about the longevity and timing for the shutdown of the activation servers. If they shut them down before you could provide a long term solution we'd have lost our access to migrating Platinum to future upgrade workstations. I do still have my fall back to X3, so I wasn't deeply worried for me, but I do really like SONAR Platinum.

Personally I thought there was only a remote chance that would happen, but if you don't cover yourself for those unlikely events then you are hurt when they do occur. Unlikely things happen all the time. Otherwise no one would ever win a lottery or be struck by lightning. Or in my case, experience several thousand dollars in damage from a freak hail storm. Now, however, we can see that behind the scenes things were obviously going better than we on the outside had reason to hope.

I am now more than slightly optimistic for the future of the SONAR IP - perhaps a "BandLab Advanced Digital Audio Software Suite" - or something like that.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
SandlinJohn
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 16:30:14 (permalink)
dlesaux

It would be a surprise to me if BandLab releases SONAR in it's current form as a product. I think the idea is that current owners of SONAR will continue to be able to use it "as-is" and if we desire to migrate to a BandLab product, any migration to whatever comes with the SONAR IP, probably a high end Social Media aware DAW with some of the best features of SONAR and the various plugins would be free.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 17:30:00 (permalink)

Activation is handled both by the application and the Cakewalk webside back end.
BandLab have acquired all assets and that includes the website and back end. ... If you choose the reinstall the software the same activation process with apply as before.

Thanks, Noel, that answers my concern.
kson
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 540
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 17:33:20 (permalink)
I'm glad to see that Sonar has life again and I'm curious to see what they will do with it.  I've always thought it was the best looking DAW out there.  As far as functionality, that's up to the user.  I was saddened to see it go and didn't think the owners were worthy of such a fine product.

This is outstanding news.
GuitarGuy
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 18:21:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] 2018/02/24 19:16:25
SandlinJohn

I am now more than slightly optimistic for the future of the SONAR IP - perhaps a "BandLab Advanced Digital Audio Software Suite" - or something like that. 

Love your suggestion (and the acronym it invokes!) -- BADASS!

DAW: StudioCat
CPU: Intel Core i7, 3.3 GHz
RAM: 32GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5450
Audio Interface: Lynx AES16e/Lavry Blue
DSP: UAD2 Solo
Sonar: Platinum 23.10.0 Build 14 [2017.10] - x64
Cakewalk by Bandlab: 2018.09 (Build 29 - x64)
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 18:35:32 (permalink)
SandlinJohn

Hey, "Badass." I like it

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Cakewalk Staff
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 19:17:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/02/24 19:39:22
Now thats a good name - we better go trademark it :-P

Noel Borthwick
julianochrisway
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 20:23:55 (permalink)
Excellent News

Studio Gears:
Interfaces: Roland, Allen & Heath and Other
Native Daw: Cakewalk by Bandlab
Midi Controllers: Roland A88, Akai LP8, Arturia Keylab 61 Essential, M-audio Oxygen 61 V3

PC Setup: Core I7 6700 4.0, Corsair 8GB 2400mhz, 1TB 
Note Setup: Intel Core i7-3612QM CPU @ 2.10GH, Corsair 16GB (1600mhz)

Muziekschuur at home
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1442
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 20:35:09 (permalink)
Still a cakewalk user. I do hope things like Mackie Controll and maybe Hui will be supported. Together with timecode and all of that. 
Thank you Bandlab for giving this product another lease of life. I am very happy te be able to do future purchases to make a future possible. I am allso very interested in your hardware. Decent ASIO or any dedicated hardware driver is peace of mind.
post edited by Muziekschuur at home - 2018/02/24 20:56:48

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum Windows 7 32bit & 64bit (dualboot) Gigabyte mobo Intel dual quad 9650 & 4GB Ram RME DIGI9636 & Tascam DM24.  M-audio Rbus & SI-24 Alesis Pro active 5.1 & Radford 90 transmissionline monitors. Roland RD-150 piano Edirol UM-880 & alesis fireport.
Remote recording Alesis HD-24 & Phonic MRS 1-20.
P.A. D&R Dayner 29-8-2 & behringer MX8000 (& racks)
Rackpc Sonar Platinum with win10 AMD X6 1055T, 16GB Ram
 Dell inspiron 17R 6gb ram W10 two SSD's Sonar Plat.
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/25 01:29:32 (permalink)
Studio One is a great program but immature and missing many things.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/25 01:39:51 (permalink)
vintagevibe

In all likelihood, things that the vast majority of users don't actually need. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/25 01:51:25 (permalink)
sharke
vintagevibe

Why do you say that?
SandlinJohn
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/25 02:20:57 (permalink)
vintagevibe
sharke
vintagevibe

Why do you say that?

Quick question - which version of Studio One did you try? I'd be surprised to find that the "Professional" version is missing important features. On the other hand, I'd expect the "Free" and "Artist" versions to be stripped down - they should be missing features to encourage upgrading.

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/25 02:33:21 (permalink)
Leee
Whatever happens, the alternative -abandonware- is the least desirable option.
I can understand owners with a Lifetime Subscription (like myself) wondering if that subscription will be honored, but even if it's not and we get an existing users discount on the next incarnation of Sonar, it's STILL better than the alternative.

Some of us already have alternatives.  I felt betrayed 11 months after I paid for a lifetime subscription.  A new developer doesn't really have to honor it.  I won't put any more money into Sonar.  I have too many DAWs as it is.  

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1