Helpful ReplySonar Lives - Your Questions Answered

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
pcryder
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 00:04:06 (permalink)
Check this post from Sound on Sound.  
https://www.soundonsound....s/cakewalk-sonar-lives

Note this paragraph from the article:
Current SONAR users needn't worry about cross-grade pricing either. In a post on the Cakewalk forums, Meng Kuok has stated that "our steadfast goal is that former SONAR owners (of all versions) will not need to spend any money to cross-over/cross-grade to the future flagship product."

Wonder what the future "flagship product" will be.
Serious_Noize!
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 00:32:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kook 2018/02/26 00:37:34
pcryder
Check this post from Sound on Sound.  
https://www.soundonsound....s/cakewalk-sonar-lives

Note this paragraph from the article:
Current SONAR users needn't worry about cross-grade pricing either. In a post on the Cakewalk forums, Meng Kuok has stated that "our steadfast goal is that former SONAR owners (of all versions) will not need to spend any money to cross-over/cross-grade to the future flagship product."

Wonder what the future "flagship product" will be.

Interesting that you would mention that. Here's the thing, I'm just a cakewalk user who wants what they have paid for, meaning activate my software when I need to without having to worry about somebody holding me HOSTAGE to do so in the future. And by that I mean, I OWN SONAR PLATINUM/License that is. There were VARIOUS licensed versions of Sonar be it Platinum or Pro or Artist or the Home version and such. The thing is, considering that fact, activating the software being an owner of the license "Which the new owners of the code are NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR AS STATED WHEN THEY SAY THEY AQUIRED THE CODED AND MORE OR LESS MEANS NO FAULT CLAUSE WHERE THEY ARE NOT TIED TO ANY AGREEMENTS CAKEWALK HAD PREVIOUSLY WITH THEIR CUSTOMERS".   Understandably so. 

But this excitement means nothing to me if I am sitting here and my system fails and I have to buy a new one and try and install my CAKEWALK SOFTWARE and use Command center only to find a message saying "THE MIGRATION PROCESS NO LONGER WORKS, YOU MAY PURCHASE A NEW LICENSE HERE HTTP ETC....... ". 

How about a promise to HONOR ALREADY PURCHASED LICENSES, THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. 
It would not COST THEM ANYTHING except for the activation servers. 

Either way................ Probably get banned for my comments, I shouldn't be because I am simply asking questions. 

Ya know, what might be SIMPLE FOR SOME or COST WORTHY is NOT SO MUCH SIMPLE FOR OTHERS LIKE ME. I have a license for Sonar Platinum and the plugins, I would like to know if I can activate them via COMMAND CENTER or Some other way in the future, and that is what I am asking. 

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
ptheisen
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 00:33:33 (permalink)
Well, no one knows for sure what the future holds, but the owner of BandLab did say this in the Hello from BandLab thread:

Quick note as it was asked about in another thread - the reason why I am not using the word SONAR when referring to the new flagship product is not because it's planned to be a different product, it's just that we're doing the legal/brand work to make sure calling it that would be the right thing to do and wouldn't cause any confusion in the market given the circumstances over the last couple of months. You can take it to mean "future version of SONAR, or whatever it might be called". 
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 00:36:45 (permalink)
Folks who want to stick with 2017.09 may very well lose out. I foresee the activation servers being shut down, with the rider that "you can migrate to the new BandLab SONAR for free".

However, that new version might be a) subscription, b) phone-home, c) etc in ways that the current 2017.09 SONAR is not.

It is not clear to me that Gibson/Cakewalk will come through with the offline activation method for folks who want to reinstall 2017.09 in the future. We will have to wait and see. 
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 00:37:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby texasaurus rex 2018/02/25 04:28:18
Christ on a bike. What you have here is the biggest glimmer of hope since the announcement last November and yet the perpetually aggrieved (typically the people who wrongly believe they "own" the software they use) are still whining. My head hurts. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 00:41:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Skyline_UK 2018/02/24 10:07:54
Whatever happens, the alternative -abandonware- is the least desirable option.
I can understand owners with a Lifetime Subscription (like myself) wondering if that subscription will be honored, but even if it's not and we get an existing users discount on the next incarnation of Sonar, it's STILL better than the alternative.

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 00:44:17 (permalink)
Serious_Noize!
How about a promise to HONOR ALREADY PURCHASED LICENSES, THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. 

That is exactly what they have said.  I re-posted it on the previous page just 3 post above yours....

Serious_Noize!
Either way................ Probably get banned for my comments, I shouldn't be because I am simply asking questions. 

You're asking questions that have already been answered...  read the posts...

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

jgarland
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 147
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 00:50:32 (permalink)
sharke
Christ on a bike. What you have here is the biggest glimmer of hope since the announcement last November and yet the perpetually aggrieved (typically the people who wrongly believe they "own" the software they use) are still whining. My head hurts. 

Mega Dog Dittos to that

Cakewalk by BandLab, Asrock X399 Fatal1ty, TR 1950X, Enermax TR4 360 AIO Cooler, G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C14Q--32GFX RAM, HAF 932 advanced case, Seasonic 1000 SSR-1000TD psu, 960 EVO 1TB & 250GB NVMe pcie SSD, 850 EVO 1TB (data), Gigabyte GTX 1080, Saffire Pro 26, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, empty wallet :)
Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 00:51:48 (permalink)
ptheisen
Well, no one knows for sure what the future holds, but the owner of BandLab did say this in the Hello from BandLab thread: 

BandLab's owner knows exactly what the future HOLDS, and saying HELLO means MORE THAN YOU MAY EVER KNOW. Saying HELLO means absolutely NOTHING except that he or she promises to make some money for themselves or share holders apart of their entity and or such things etc... I think it was probably somebody other than the owner who made the announcement, because int his day and age you can easily post videos, but I guess business wise to say anything in a video can't be fought in court where WORDS or assurances go when it comes to actions and business and such things. 

As per your "WELL NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS" . : For example : They just purchased the RIGHTS to all your purchase and personal information that you have ever had with Cakewalk and the forums, and your replies and comments and everything else. 

So saying : "Oh Happy DAY all is well" is not a good mind set when it comes to the current status as a customer for this software SONAR such as you or me. In my feeble opinion. 

All I want to know as everyone else is a few SIMPLE question ........ LOOK : BANDLAB :

1 : " What is the END date for using Cakewalk Command Center?"

2 : "Having our downloaded install files for cakewalk software that we already own, and having the REGISTRATION Codes, how can we activate them without a SERVER to do so in the future? We paid for the software, 

3 : I have absolutely nothing against the Bandilab owner or the company, I wish them the best because Cakewalk was history and that's how it was at the time. All I want is to have a few questions answered here for everyone to see who purchased the former OWNERS CAKEWALK SOFTWARE. While I realize there could be legal hurdles in such a situation. There really is not. And by that I mean : CAN WE CONTINUE TO ACTIVATE OUR CAKEWALK SOFTWARE THAT WE HAVE NOW AS IS THROUGH COMMAND CENTER OR DOWNLOADED FILES FROM OUR ACCOUNTS???????????? AND IF SO FOR HOW LONG????????????????
It is very simple. And I doubt that question will get answered. 

Those are my questions and my thoughts on the subject, regardless of WHAT YOU MIGHT READ, if you don't know for sure what the answers are PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO ME, let the people who just purchased do so. 

Serious_Noize!
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 00:53:01 (permalink)
Karyn
Serious_Noize!

That is exactly what they have said.  I re-posted it on the previous page just 3 post above yours....

Serious_Noize!

You're asking questions that have already been answered...  read the posts...

No I am not asking question that have already been answered, read my last reply in this thread. 

FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 00:59:10 (permalink)
Read the post in the stickies above.  Ming has a long post to say hi and all .   Noel is onboard as well.  The answers are in the 5 pages of posts.  Sorry I cant do more.  I broke my wrist yesterday and ty0ping is tough.

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
DannyDee
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 00:59:47 (permalink)
sharke

I'm not a believer.
Your bike comment
is offensive
to believers.  
Would you remark
in a public forum
(with your photo)
about a certain prophet?
Karyn
Ma-Ma
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 01:01:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/02/24 10:08:01
Serious_Noize!
 I think it was probably somebody other than the owner who made the announcement

If you're suggesting that meng is lying about who he is, or that it wasn't actually meng, then there is no one who can answer any of your questions.  Not even BandLab.

Mekashi Futo
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

sharke
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 01:02:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby petec 2018/02/24 02:41:15
Serious_Noize! They have just made the announcement and are sorting through what are likely to be some complicated legal issues and the fine details which invariably go with a purchase like this. And yet here you are, stomping around like a 5 year old girl demanding answers to questions which at this time do not have answers. So let's just get one thing out of the way, to be brutally honest: 

They don't owe you ANYTHING. Nothing. They didn't buy Cakewalk the company, they didn't buy any of its debt or financial obligations to its customers. They weren't responsible for Cakewalk going bust, and it's not their responsibility to honor any "deals" that Cakewalk made before they went bust. So lighten up and be grateful for the fact that whereas yesterday there was nothing to indicate that Sonar would EVER be developed again, today you found out that it will continue into the future. If they decide to take on the responsibility of activating a version of Sonar that you DID NOT PAY THEM ONE CENT FOR, then they're giving you 100% more than they owe you. Your beef is with Gibson and Cakewalk, not BandLab. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
sharke
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 01:04:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Skyline_UK 2018/02/24 10:10:07
DannyDee
sharke

I'm not a believer.
Your bike comment
is offensive
to believers.  
Would you remark
in a public forum
(with your photo)
about a certain prophet?

LOL the snowflakes are out.....Jesus wept!

In answer to your question, yes I would. 

James
DannyDee
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 01:07:47 (permalink)
sharke

I'm not a believer.
Your bike comment
is offensive
to believers.  
Would you remark
in a public forum
(with your photo)
about a certain prophet?

Easy to say
Karyn
Ma-Ma
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 01:08:10 (permalink)
 keep it on topic please....

Mekashi Futo

sharke
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 01:12:21 (permalink)
DannyDee
sharke

I'm not a believer.
Your bike comment
is offensive
to believers.  
Would you remark
in a public forum
(with your photo)
about a certain prophet?

Easy to say

What does this have to do with ANYTHING in this thread? The subject is Bandlab's announcement. So please don't use any of my comments as a political or religious or any other kind of platform. It's stupid. 

James
Anonymungus!
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 01:38:30 (permalink)
πŸ˜€πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜πŸ˜œπŸ˜ƒ  Yeeeaaaaaaaayy !!!  πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘©πŸ‘§πŸ‘Ά

Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime, Windows 10 x64, Intel Quad Core CPU@3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, (2)1.5T Hard Drives, Presonus AudioBox 44VSL, Roland A-500Pro MIDI Controller & lots more stuff

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 01:42:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] 2018/02/24 04:43:32
Serious_Noize!

BandLab's owner knows exactly what the future HOLDS, and saying HELLO means MORE THAN YOU MAY EVER KNOW. Saying HELLO means absolutely NOTHING [snip] So saying : "Oh Happy DAY all is well" is not a good mind set when it comes to the current status as a customer for this software SONAR such as you or me.

I wouldn't worry about it. Let's look back at previous "disturbances in the Force" and remember what happened.
  • When Gibson bought Cakewalk, some people said it wouldn't last a year (it lasted under Gibson for over four years).
  • When the membership change happened, some people said Cakewalk was just going to take the upfront money and close down (they didn't).
  • When Cakewalk promised to deliver monthly updates, some people said there was no way Cakewalk would be capable of producing an update every month (they did).
  • When the lifetime offer happened, people said there was no way the company could survive (it didn't, but not because of the lifetime updates).
  • When Gibson shuttered Cakewalk, people said that Gibson would just kick everyone to the curb and wasn't looking for a buyer (apparently Gibson was looking for a buyer the whole time, they just didn't say anything because no one wanted to screw up the deal).
So the gloom and doom team doesn't have a very good track record. I'm betting on the other guys  

I do have some familiarity with deals on this level, and they take quite a while to finalize - particularly with a company like Cakewalk that had several third-party relationships. Be patient, and enjoy the ride.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
h3kke
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 02:01:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ampfixer 2018/02/24 20:33:14
Craig some of your examples above are not the most convincing lol. I get what you're trying to say but kind of disputable statements there...
MandolinPicker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 02:14:56 (permalink)
For some background on the new owner, here is an article from Bloomberg back in 2016

"Billionaire's 28-Year-Old Son Picks Digital Music Empire Over Palm-Oil Riches"
https://www.bloomberg.com...e-over-palm-oil-riches

From the article:
"Our family is about, 'You earn what you build. You will get support but you need to deserve it.' My father built his business in my lifetime. Having witnessed firsthand that building something meaningful takes time, it’s incredibly important to be aware that overnight success is the exception, not the rule."

Kuok said he also learned about hard work from his other role model, B.B. King. In 2011, he went to his first (and last) concert by the blues guitarist. "His success came after years of touring experience and hard craft," Kuok said. "That’s something we try to bring in everything we do at BandLab."

The Mandolin Picker
"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 02:27:09 (permalink)
Why does my post keep vanishing? It just text, no links!

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 02:35:44 (permalink)
 I would restore them if they were on topic but they are not. Please stay on topic.
Kamikaze
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 02:38:25 (permalink)
But why did they vanish?
Another went from anther thread too, and was just text.

scook
Forum Host
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 02:40:14 (permalink)
If you have nothing topical to add to the threads don't post.
Kamikaze
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 02:41:28 (permalink)
scook
If you have nothing topical to add to the threads don't post.

So you deleted? They didn't just vanish?

EDIT: For the record, the posts that deleted, were not complaints. I stuck with Sonar hoping something would come. I am happy with the news. The posts that follow this refer to people never being happy, and could infer my deleted post was one of them. It wasn't
post edited by Kamikaze - 2018/02/24 05:12:31

scook
Forum Host
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 03:09:52 (permalink)
FWIW, Akismet will delete posts without links. I have seen several deleted plain text posts today. I have no idea how the program decides what to block.
bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 03:27:46 (permalink)
Some people just can't be happy unless they have something to be unhappy about.

Byron Dickens
pcryder
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered 2018/02/24 04:32:07 (permalink)
All we can do is wait to see what happens. Now there is a glimmer of hope for Sonar when all was gloom and doom. 
Hang in there its not over yet!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
Β© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1