The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2018/05/26 23:26:18 (permalink)

post edited by dj squarewave - 2018/05/29 12:03:31

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 23:47:55 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Firstly working in pattern mode I think you are meant to stay there and there is certainly no reason why you cannot start and end in pattern mode.  (for certain parts that is) But as Craig says at the end of the process one can convert a pattern into a PRV part.

Another option is to duplicate the track (complete) which creates an identical track with the pattern event/s in pattern view. Then convert the duplicate to a part if you want to then. You will still have the pattern and the PRV part as well. If you really needed both.

This is only the start of pattern mode.  People seem to think it will stop there and never change.   As time goes on they will refine pattern mode I guess.  And possibly give us the option of seeing the data in any view all at once.  But it is very workable right now.  Pattern mode is great for certain genres of music that is for sure. 

For certain styles of music, staying in pattern mode is a serious workflow killer. Genres that mix even and triplet times benefit greatly by being able to switch. Also, being able to convert to prv has added advantage of combining the convenience of pattern editing with the ease of programming pitched drums prv allows. Right now fl studio combines that better than any DAW. Hopefully presonus gets it
dubdisciple
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/26 23:54:34 (permalink)
I both agree and disagree with Craig’s “anyone who”comment. In theory one could make any genre using any DAW. However, some DAWs are going to be exponentially more frustrating to the point of “why bother?”
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/27 01:21:18 (permalink)
Ironically, I loaded CbB and now it will recognize my Saffire even with ASIO4ALL installed (huge kudos to CW for whenever this was added!). Since some standalone VSTis require ASIO, ASIO4ALL has been a time saver to use those.

Studio One 3.5 (and now 4), have the hardest time shifting between audio modes/devices that it isn't funny. Even though it recognizes my Saffire, it won't use it with ASIO4ALL installed (even some VSTis can do this). So, I uninstall ASIO4ALL, reboot, and my Saffire is still not working... turns out the configuration got shifted around (still not sure how that happened yet); but in the mean time, Studio One latches on to my Realtek and throws up a do loop to configure it to stereo (I run a 5.1 system from the Realtek). Once in that loop, I had to actually kill Studio One since it does not offer any options other than to reconfigure the Realtek at that point, and acknowledging the warning window simply brings it back. I end up shifting audio devices quite a bit, so this issue continues to make Studio One painful for me. I really only need the Saffire for tracking, but uninstalled ASIO4ALL for the short term just to evaluate SO4 better (ironically, SO uses the Realtek fine when ASIO4ALL is the middle man, I just cannot track... ugh).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/27 03:37:51 (permalink)
dj squarewave
Anderton
Anyone who...

May one infer that whining about "anyone" you don't see eye to eye with is more helpful than whining about a DAW?

LOL.

I differentiate between people who whine and people who make constructive criticisms that move things forward. For example, your post #50 wasn't whining. It was analysis that may or may not end up being right, but either way, advanced the conversation.

But as dubdisciple pointed out, "...users who are annoyed that you cannot export patterns to piano roll." There's been all this complaining about a problem that doesn't exist. I don't see how that helps anyone. In fact, it moves things backward because now people won't take advantage of something that could be helpful because they don't think it exists.

For example, think of the hundreds of man-hours that have been spent complaining about Ableton Live not supporting VST3...thread after thread after thread in multiple forums, stretching back years. "Oh, I can't possibly make music because I must use this VST3 plug-in so I guess I'll have to change DAWs." So spend $49 on DDMF's Metaplugin, load it as a VST 2.4, and load VST3 plug-ins into it. Problem solved.

If those people had remembered their priority is to make music, I would like to think they would have stopped complaining, prioritized making music, found the solution, and realized that spending $49 is a hell of a lot less expensive and disruptive than switching DAWs. 

As to "In theory one could make any genre using any DAW. However, some DAWs are going to be exponentially more frustrating to the point of 'why bother?'," the reason why there isn't just one DAW is because each one has strengths and weaknesses. But they also all have demos, so if someone picks one that's exponentially frustrating to them, I don't think you can blame the DAW but the choice the user made. I would never use Sonar to do a loop-based live performance, but I didn't complain about it. Instead, I learned Live. People complain that Studio One doesn't do surround; it never has and I doubt it ever will. So what? Download CbB for free, export your stems, and mix in surround (with an excellent surround implementation...not that more than a handful of people ever used it). Or, spend your time complaining that SO4 doesn't do surround. I have definite opinions as to which will further the music-making process.

To me, people who complain are wasting time that could have been spent coming up with a solution, a workaround, or making music with the tools they have. People who do constructive criticism...well, they're the people directly responsible for a lot of the improvements that have happened in DAWs over the years. In forums, AFAIK they are the signal; the whiners are the noise. A good signal-to-noise ratio fosters a better environment for debating the pros and cons of actual improvements, because there's no way everyone's pet FR is going to be implemented.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/27 21:09:43 (permalink)
Interesting take
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2018/5/26/our-response-to-new-product-releases-often-says-more-about-us?mc_cid=6966084e4c&mc_eid=827b1cbfa7

As for Live it's far from upgrade friendly price wise.
As for the years of constructive criticism regarding Sonar's staff view that somehow didn't work.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
dubdisciple
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/28 14:27:08 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
Interesting take
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2018/5/26/our-response-to-new-product-releases-often-says-more-about-us?mc_cid=6966084e4c&mc_eid=827b1cbfa7

As for the years of constructive criticism regarding Sonar's staff view that somehow didn't work.

Good article. Thanks for sharing.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/28 15:46:36 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
Interesting take

I agree 100% with that article, it's exactly how I feel. 

Once I wrote an article on Scotland's the Drake School. No one was whining "I can't play music, I have cerebral palsy." They came up with workarounds. One guy couldn't use his hands and entered music by holding a pencil in his mouth and pushing buttons. People who complain about how some vocal minority feature keeps them from making music should see how the love of music motivates some people to overcome issues that would indeed keep most people from making music.

FWIW Sonar used to be one of the best programs for assisted technologies, and it no longer is. Hopefully that will change in the future.

As to years of constructive criticism of Sonar's staff view, constructive criticism alone doesn't guarantee results because it doesn't provide funding. The reasons why Sonar didn't implement better staff view have been given multiple times over the years. The bottom line is the company couldn't afford to do it. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/28 18:28:49 (permalink)
That's why they also lost ground to Cubase.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
dubdisciple
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/28 19:27:21 (permalink)
I always saw both sides of the staff view debate. It was a case where their individual complaints were accurate but their insistence on turning every topic into a whine fest on staff view worked against them. Every time sonar implemented a new feature it would be met by pages of whine on the unrelated staff view issues.
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/28 20:43:13 (permalink)
I admit I was one of those people. But in my defense, I brought up the idea of funding for staff view.
It still can be done in CbB model. Core free and add-ons we pay for. You can argue that Staff view should be considered part of the program but I think we are past that part. If we want a functioning Staff view we will have to pay for it. Funny Cakewalk Sonar users have paid $50.00 for a mug but will bicker paying for something we have asked for, for a decade or more.
my 2¢ worth.

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

mettelus
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/28 20:58:00 (permalink)
That is a valid point. $50 is the cheapest you can get Notion 6, but standalone it is typically $150. Currently, it does not sync with Studio One, but they pass data back and forth. The current sync in SONAR/CbB between SV and PRV is fueling the expectations to embellish that.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
dubdisciple
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/28 22:33:10 (permalink)
InstrEd
I admit I was one of those people. But in my defense, I brought up the idea of funding for staff view.
It still can be done in CbB model. Core free and add-ons we pay for. You can argue that Staff view should be considered part of the program but I think we are past that part. If we want a functioning Staff view we will have to pay for it. Funny Cakewalk Sonar users have paid $50.00 for a mug but will bicker paying for something we have asked for, for a decade or more.
my 2¢ worth.

I think you unintentionally bring up a good point; that being that sometimes it is less risky for a company to sell an ad on of a known entity than introduce a new product. Studio one chose an add on rather than core functionality integration. Unfortunately this method was riskier for sonar in its former incarnation because customers would feel like they were getting charged for something they already were given a broken version of for free. P
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/29 02:19:24 (permalink)
mettelus
Currently, it does not sync with Studio One, but they pass data back and forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV6pGiH15jA

Ah sort of incorrect.  They can move lots back and forth and are totaly in sync!  Having a notation program this powerful attached to your DAW is rather excellent in fact.  There is a way to sequence Notion instruments from Studio One.  V4 has added deeper integration.  Notion can also listen to a live groove and conduct a Studiio One session tempo wise in real time.  That is one of its real purposes. 

The best choice for Studio One is Notion in fact. Just in the way it communicates with Studio One is enough reason to invest in it.  And it is affordable.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
mettelus
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/29 08:33:25 (permalink)
Hey Jeff, you got my hopes up, but then that video is showing what I was trying to say. I spend 95% of my time in here from my phone, so might not have clarified well (but that video does).

By "sync" (current functionality in SONAR/CbB), I mean that an edit in the Piano Roll View or Staff View will mirror itself in the other automatically. Maybe "auto-sync" would have been a better choice of words, and this is what most SONAR/CbB users are "expecting" to see upgraded in my assumption. For Studio One/Notion, this sync is a manual handoff of data, but as that video shows, it will also pass VST information with presets (also shown in that video). Unless I have missed something, an edit in one is not mirrored in the other automatically.

That said, Notion 6 unto itself is actually a standalone DAW, and a pretty capable one. Being able to load VSTis, compose with them, and pass that information into Studio One with the VSTis intact is incredibly powerful. Notion is a very lightweight application (though the sample library is several GB), so it is the only app I loaded on a laptop I bought last Christmas. I thoroughly detest laptops for certain things, and agonized over buying one, but ended up getting a Lenovo Flex 5 15.6" for its tablet conversion, screen resolution, and screen size because of this video (Notion 4 and Strokes+ on  Microsoft Surface Pro). That video shows the "on the fly composition" capability of Notion well; and when finished, can then pass the song to Studio One.

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/29 10:22:14 (permalink)
Thanks for the info. I also meant to say deeper integration with V4 is planned. There will be some point updates. Notion is $200 AU dollars here so I might wait as well for the right time.  I have also invested in the Presonus Symphonic Orchestra for Presence XT and it too is an excellent add on.  Orchestra very nicely covered here too. Something like that working in conjunction with Notion would be great too. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/29 18:34:49 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Notion is $200 AU dollars here so I might wait as well for the right time. 

Notion crossgrade from Studio One Pro was a deal back in February for $49USD but is not currently available.  I ended up getting it for $32.47USD with an extra discount.  Total no-brainer! 

They have an on-going crossgrade deal from Finale, Sibelius, Overture, etc, for $79USD.

I have also invested in the Presonus Symphonic Orchestra for Presence XT and it too is an excellent add on.

Good to know!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
dubdisciple
Re: Studio One V4 2018/05/29 19:03:32 (permalink)
Keep in mind that truly seamless experience integration between products conceived and developed by two different companies takes years. Look at adobe suite. The cool edit /audition integration took serious growing pains to get right and they still ended up alienating those who lean towards music rather than post production. The color correction acquisitions are finally working smoothly, but even that required neglecting Speedgrade to leech features to after effects and premiere. It will still be awhile before it Is on par with davinci
kson
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 540
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1