GMMDI - F/ Alan Keillor & Sophie Beraud (update)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
2009/08/21 14:03:15 (permalink)

GMMDI - F/ Alan Keillor & Sophie Beraud (update)

That's right denizens of the underworld. An all new version, this time with Alan (Alkie) on vox.

Alan has amazing projection and this song has gone to a whole new level. It is very much a concept album tune, a la "Chess" or others of its kind (think Tim Rice). There are still a few rough spots to iron out, but for the most part, this is the complete arrangement for this version of the song (I have to redo the last phrase as I still stumble on it but that's about it).

I am not sure if Alan is too far out front at the moment... its hard to judge now as I have been mixing for so long I'm loosing my objectivity. Let me know what needs to be done.

It is a bit quiet (lots of dynamics). I have not "mastered" it yet (those tools are not installed yet as I have to jump through a lot of convoluted hoops to get re-authorized after an install and have been putting it off - no its not a cake product) but when I do, it should warm it up a bit and even it out while boosting the volume.

(UPDATE) - I gave Alan more of a Solo role, particularly near the beginning, and added a small effect (stereo delay at 1/8t with some cut to mids and a we boost in the highs and lows of his voc track to add some sparkle). I have also added a minimalist version where the piano is mostly stripped away and the song is carried by the strings and vocals. for some reason, this version feels a bit lifeless. Not sure why.

Lead vocals: Alan Keillor
Background vocals: Shad Young & Sophie Beraud
Instruments, Music, & lyrics: Shad Young

God Made Me Do It - F/ Alan Keillor

==========
Liar,
killer,
con man,
never showing mercy.

God said,
do it.
I did.
Promised me a mighty Kingdom.

Wealth and power.
Ivory tower.
Came to me, I had a waking dream.

Made me do it,
does it really mean a thing?

Maybe God is wise.
Maybe God is strong.
If He loves me all that much, then,
why make me do wrong?

(Verse two)
White Knight.
Gods hand.
Judgment.
A man begging on his knees.

Burning crosses
Holy War
God made me do it, said that's what he wanted.
All he wanted.

What he told me.
Told me what he wanted me to do.

=============

Cheers
Shad
post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/09/10 02:14:47

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum

67 Replies Related Threads

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 14:09:04 (permalink)
    Not sure how you can work these lyrics into anything resembling a melody that does not become monotonous, unless you are intent on re-creating Sting's Blue Turtles phase. 

Have you listened to Rundgren's Liars album?  He tackles much of this terrain on that one.
    ShiftingKevin
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 14:15:36 (permalink)
    I dig!  I do think that the syllable count and emphasis need to be thought through a little more. You can run through the lyrics in a sing-songy quasi-melody and pick out parts that don't flow, such as...

Crusades and pogroms
    inquisitions and trials
    God made me do it
    he gave me a mission

White knights, burning crosses
    a scared man on his knees
    god made me do it
    I saw it
    in a vision

It would probably flow better as...

Crusades and pogroms
    inquisitions and trials
    God made me do it
    he gave me a mission

White knights, burning crosses 
    scared man on his knees
    god made me do it
    I saw it
    envisioned

There are more stumbles such as that which I'm sure you'll find. Also, though it's a personal preference, I'd recommend changing "taint." As legit a word as it is, it's a sort of antiquity that may clash in lyric if used as the main driving word, the end rhyme. YMMV.

Good luck - you're off to a great lyrical start! Now grab a melody and run! Cheers.
    foxwolfen
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 14:40:35 (permalink)
    James - LOL - always the positive guy eh? Well I will just throw it out then.

Kevin - Thank you so much. That is exactly the advice I need. I have changed the lyrics in the verse as you suggested and will also singsong it out to check for flow as you suggest.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 15:20:36 (permalink)
    FWIW, I think I prefer Shad's vibe ...

Liar and a thief
    mercenary and a Killer
    God made me do it
    and they made me a king

Wealth and power
    Lust and Greed
    God made me do it
    so it don't mean a thing

(perfect, IMHO)

The 'question' in the bridge may confuse, IMHO. ... But depending on the vox-delivery I guess.

But (for me) I'd consider other graphic words: Hypocrite, money, murder, liar, freak(y), demented, torture, etc. ... in the verses, too.  If its hard-rap especially.

If words are 'sung' and the chorus-1st half lyrics aren't simplified (2-3 syllable words) it may become garble (for me and a *pop-bimbo audience*) as a chorus hook.  I guess much depends on the vocal delivery, though, and your target audience. 

Methinks, I'd start with 'Foxwolfen' rap and a 'Foxwolfen' trance beat.  Melodic words may spring up.

I'm not sure how you feel about auto-tune and voxcoders ... but I personally think it helps complex words sound extremely beautiful.

I'm absolutely certain you'll get this right with a few mock-up takes and such.  Just get some recordings going

(it may be possible to use the squeeky sore throat, even ... and/or drink a lot of lukewarm water and juicy fruits (SANS coffee) between takes). 

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Psalmist35
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1471
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 16:16:21 (permalink)
    Shad,
    I think you have some very interesting lyrics here.  I have not personally ever written lyrics for a song.  I've always leaned more toward instrumental Jazz and have always struggled to pen my thoughts.  It intreques me how poeple as yourself work through the process of pen-ing lyrics and then develop a melody after the fact.  I probably over analyze the process.

I'm curious to see what type of melody you develop for this song.  You obviously excell in this area.  Keep us posted.  Do you have a genre in mind?

Rich

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 16:45:36 (permalink)
    Some words don't exhibit a natural melodic sound, taint, is one of these. Here's a quick little re-write I did, killin some time here. Religious type may take issue with the "God could be" but I was feeling some sort of struggle in your orginal lyrics with the "but commands "do wrong"? question pointed at the listener. These kind of very 'personal' lyrics can be tough to interpret and it's a touchy subject as well. I find alternative ideas can never hurt a writer so might be something useful here. I like your lyrics, pretty solid.

(Verse 1)
    Liar and thief
    A taker of life
    God made me do it
    they made me a king

Wealth and the power
    of lust and Greed
    God made me do it 
    Does it mean a thing?

(Bridge)
    God could be Great
    God could be Strong
    God loves us all
    but commands we do wrong?

(Chorus)
    Prudence and Justice
    temperance restrained 
    words without meaning
    covered and stained

Courage and faith, 
    The desire for clarity 
    a theory of substance
    is a modern rarity

(Verse 2)

Repression and torture
    bearing false witness
    God made me do it
    I conquered a nation

The Fear and the loathing
    pride and pomposity
    God made me do it 
    empowered my station

(Bridge)
    God could be Great
    God could be Strong
    God loves us all

(Chorus)
    Prudence and Justice
    temperance restrained 
    words without meaning
    covered and stained

Courage and faith, 
    The desire for clarity 
    a theory of substance
    is a modern rarity

(Verse 3)

Crusaders and pogroms
    inquisitions and trials
    God made me do it 
    Sent me on a mission

The crosses are burning
    a glow through the trees
    God made me do it
    it came in a vision

(Bridge)
    God could be Great
    God could be Strong
    God loves us all

(Chorus)
    Prudence and Justice
    temperance restrained 
    words without meaning
    covered and stained

Courage and faith, 
    The desire for clarity 
    a theory of substance
    is a modern rarity
    (Chorus)
    Prudence and Justice
    A truth that is named
    by words without meaning
    covered and stained

Courage and faith, 
    Searching for clarity 
    the idea of substance
    is a modern rarity

Ed Edge

jamesyoyo
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 17:15:40 (permalink)
    +1 on the ED Edge re-write.

And Shad, I am amazingly positive.  But like yourself, also a bit of a realist...
    ShiftingKevin
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 17:37:46 (permalink)
    Ed... I try to help a brother out, and you just have to piss in my corn flakes and one-up me.

Seriously... You rock. *coughlet'sdoanothersongcough*
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 18:50:16 (permalink)
    Ed!

... you tamed the razor sharp Foxwolfen chorus (and the bridge) into a charming theory for college professors.  I'm spaced-out with amazement.

That took a lot of courage and thoughtfulness, methinks.  Wow! 

If he goes with your version I hope he employs a vocoder to beautify the pondering aesthetics.

I love "covered and stained" or possibly: ... "so bloody stained" ... or "bloodily stained"

But Shad's ...

"Courage, faith,
    hope and charity"

... strikes a home run for me, big time ... strait out of the KJV ... also the bloodiest struggle in my heart.  Respectfully, I hope Shad does not water it down to:

"The desire for clarity 
    a theory of substance "

(OTOH, Ed, your productions are so breathtaking and excellent ... the best of the best, IMHO.)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 19:04:42 (permalink)
    WOW!. Amazing lyrics Shad. You have so much creativity and imagination. I could'nt come up with anything like this if i had years to do it. 

Looking forward to hearing how the music develops for these lyrics.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 19:47:31 (permalink)
    Are you planning to follow the rules of rhyme and meter? .....Just wondering.

I can see potential in this lyric.... and from the angle you are approaching, it could be a good, though provoking lyric. 

To me... it would be a rough draft at this point. Now that you have a frame work.... now comes the hard part.... re-writing it to turn it into a creative song.

It will be an interesting process. I have had some good results starting with a lyric...re-writing it, and adding music and melody to it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    foxwolfen
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 20:17:25 (permalink)
    Philip - Thanks for your feedback. I agree that a lot of this song will depend on the way it is delivered. I like vocorder, but I do not have one (only some poor emulations)

Rich - One of the most frustrating things I had to try to communicate to a singer recently was that the lyrics did not always fit the music he wanted and it became forced. He insisted that the lyrics we're perfect and refused to acknowledge that there were significant cadence issues between the lyrics and the music. After a while I just gave up.

The lesson in that was that nothing can be written in stone. Lyrics or music must change and adapt to the needs of the song. If we try to lock one or the other in, something will suffer. So, the lyrics are very much only a draft, and very much subject to change. The idea behind them, the message conveyed can be maintained and that is what is important.

I have a style in mind - A Gershwin/Sati blend of piano and strings (inspired by Janet). I have the basic verse melody built.

Ed - holy cow - amazing. You have added some polish to the song in a big way. I am really kind of stunned at how well your version flows. I like all of it, and you were right that I was struggling with the God command thing. The only part I may not keep, though I like it, is the clarity part as it changes the intent too much.

James - A realist knows that it is far to early in the process to know whether I can make a decent song out of this or not. Frankly, I am surprised by your lack of imagination. I already have a melody for the verse, and its nothing like "Children's Crusade".

Philip (again) - I do agree that one part changed the intent a bit too much, but that may be unavoidable, and it may change again to something else as the song progresses. The song dictates its needs, not me.

John - Thank you. I sincerely doubt it would take you that long to write some lyrics. I am hoping you will have some feedback or ideas on the melody when I send it.

Composers Forum
    foxwolfen
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 20:18:19 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Are you planning to follow the rules of rhyme and meter? .....Just wondering.

I can see potential in this lyric.... and from the angle you are approaching, it could be a good, though provoking lyric. 

To me... it would be a rough draft at this point. Now that you have a frame work.... now comes the hard part.... re-writing it to turn it into a creative song.

It will be an interesting process. I have had some good results starting with a lyric...re-writing it, and adding music and melody to it.

I am not usually one to follow rules too too closely... tends to make things sterile.

But, if you could be a bit more specific about what you see, I would much appreciate it. Its one thing to bend rules, but I don't want to break any too to badly.
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/08/21 20:28:03

Composers Forum
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 20:24:58 (permalink)

Philip Wrote:

Ed!

... you tamed the razor sharp Foxwolfen chorus (and the bridge) into a charming theory for college professors.  I'm spaced-out with amazement.

That took a lot of courage and thoughtfulness, methinks.  Wow! 

If he goes with your version I hope he employs a vocoder to beautify the pondering aesthetics.

I love "covered and stained" or possibly: ... "so bloody stained" ... or "bloodily stained"

But Shad's ...

"Courage, faith,
    hope and charity"

... strikes a home run for me, big time ... strait out of the KJV ... also the bloodiest struggle in my heart.  Respectfully, I hope Shad does not water it down to:

"The desire for clarity 
    a theory of substance "

(OTOH, Ed, your productions are so breathtaking and excellent ... the best of the best, IMHO.) 

Thanks Philip, yeah, I tossed around 'covered in stains' as well. 'Bloody' conjurs up some pretty heavy images, it's success would most likely depend on the delivery/production. I like hope and charity as well, I had some problems with that section though.

Courage, faith, ---- good stuff
    hope and charity ---- good stuff
    ideas whose substance ---- This line seems overly wordy to me, especially from a vocal perspective, and I'm not sold on courage,faith,hope and charity all being "ideas"per sey. The word "substance" isn't really exciting me much either, feels a bit .... clinical.
    is a modern rarity ---- great concept, the word rarity does bug me a bit. The rhyme feels a bit too 'planned' if that makes sense. These aren't  Rhyming 101 though. Ideally, you'd want to find a smoother way of saying it while keeping the content poignant.

I did hit a stumbling block in that section and I agree Shad's lyrics have more bite there.
    You could spent quite awhile tweaking this one Shad. You have  a great, solid base to work from though.

LOL, sorry Kevin, I'll send you a gallon of replacement milk. I actually didn't read the posts until afterwards

post edited by Maxprizm - 2009/08/21 20:29:41

Ed Edge

jamesyoyo
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 20:37:27 (permalink)
    I am always paying attention. Lyrics can be all-important (Cat's In The Cradle, American Pie) or just words that fit together (Louie Louie, Wannabe by Spice Girls), or cryptic but simple enough so you can read whatever you want into them (Let 'Em In by Wings)

On a more positive note...here is a slight re-write that I think in my unimaginative way  might work better:

Courage, faith, 
    hope and charity 
    ideas with substance 
    a modern rarity 

Though any lyric ending in "-ity" is a tough sell.
    What tempo are you thinking for this?

foxwolfen
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 20:52:58 (permalink)
    Slowwwww heheh (but that just may be a reflection on my piano skills).

And you are right, the ity is problematic.

I need to rethink that whole verse.

Composers Forum
    foxwolfen
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/21 21:00:34 (permalink)
    Ed - I cannot even begin to thank you enough. I am pleased that the areas I thought were weak were areas that others noticed too (its bad when you think something is good), as were those areas that are strong. I think it shows I am on the right track.

Composers Forum
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/22 12:19:32 (permalink)
    Inspired by this Janet?  Well, cool!  That would be fun to put to music actually.  Just singing through it I can see a few challenges, but not over-comeable.  (Yes, I know that's not a word, but I think it says what I want to say.) :-) 
    blipp
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/22 13:05:49 (permalink)
    Shad thte piano part is killer, freakin loved it.  This is one of the best things i've heard from you. Melodically it's pushing every one of my buttons, it's beautiful. You should have a return of your confidence if you can come up with something like this. 

personally i would keep the piano simple to leave plenty of other space and to create atmosphere. There are so many possibilities with this and i'm really looking forward to seeing where you take it.   Great work.
    Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:Lyrics - God Made Me Do It. 2009/08/22 14:08:01 (permalink)
    Just to let you know I'm lurking this thread with great interest. Satie and Gershwin? Hmmmm.

foxwolfen
    Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Strings, Piano and Ambiance - Draft) 2009/08/22 19:16:34 (permalink)
    I have updated the song with ambient bits and some strings.

Janet - Yeah, the theory help is coming in handy. Thank you so much.

John - Up to some bass work?

JC - Lurk away. if you see anything that looks tasty, gimme a howl and we'll go a huntin.
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/08/22 19:18:42

Composers Forum
    blipp
    Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Strings, Piano and Ambiance - Draft) 2009/08/22 19:54:01 (permalink)
    foxwolfen

John - Up to some bass work?

Yep i'll give it a go. guitar or synth?

foxwolfen
    Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Strings, Piano and Ambiance - Draft) 2009/08/22 20:50:37 (permalink)
    I trust your wisdom. :)

Composers Forum
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Strings, Piano and Ambiance - Draft) 2009/08/22 23:24:52 (permalink)
    Shad - I love this - you are so talented - you put out some of the most interesting music.

Fantastic.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Strings, Piano and Ambiance - Draft) 2009/08/23 15:00:18 (permalink)
    So where's the version with vocals?
    Can you get a better piano sample? i preferred the solo piano version but Dim pro lacks dimension and this piece feels like it should have so much more subtle ambience, not the kind of overdone oscillating synth stuff that you have in the fuller version, which is just waaaaaaaaaaaay too busy. Minimal is good.

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Strings, Piano and Ambiance - Draft) 2009/08/23 16:45:18 (permalink)
    OK, so I didn't hear vocals which means that the words are here but not the singer.  That's cool!  I think the music is great.  Having had conversation with you I know where your words are coming from, somewhat.  You know, working with Mark has taught me that I can think out of the box.  Not everything fits and all verses don't end in a rhyme.  If I try to write otherwise they never get done.  Shad,  I believe the melody will dictate where you can take the words.  I think it's great that everyone is helping.  Shows respect for you.  I am going to see if I can make what you wrote fit.  Just for my own curiosity.  I have always been a fan of your music.  You know we are still working on Tribes.  We've had some things come up but we still have it in the working file.   Anyway, your song is very good and it is nice to get good tips.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    M. Man
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 770
    Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Strings, Piano and Ambiance - Draft) 2009/08/23 17:05:53 (permalink)
    Hmmm interresting....

Agree on the Piano-patch..it kind of sounds "not good".

What's the plans for the lyrics? Som sort of talking voiceover would be cool.
    foxwolfen
    Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/23 19:39:11 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. Yeah I know the patch sucks. I will see what I can do.

Meanwhile, here are the new lyrics that will plug into the current version of the song.

Liar,
    killer,
    con man,
    and a mercenary.

God said,
    do it.
    I did.
    Promised me a mighty Kingdom.

Wealth and power.
    Golden tower.
    Came to me, I had a waking dream.

Made me do it,
    does it really mean a thing?

Maybe God is great.
    Maybe God is strong.
    If He loves us all so much, then,
    why make us do wrong?

Prudence, Justice, Restraint:
    Words without much meaning.

Faith and Hope and Charity:
    Very rare...

White Knight.
    Gods hand.
    Judgment.
    A man pleading on his knees.

Burning crosses
    Holy War
    God made me do it, said that's what he wanted.
    All he wanted.

What he told me.
    Told me what he wanted me to do.

post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/08/23 23:49:53

Composers Forum
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/23 22:33:10 (permalink)
    Hey Shad,

I've been sorta dropping in on this thread to check the progress. Love the online lyric editing...how cool is that?  The music sounds good so far.  Not at all what I was expecting but that is in no way a criticism...actually, I suppose it's more of a compliment!  Anyway, looking forward to hearing this with the vocals added.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1