AnsweredGetting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience ..

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 09:32:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2015/10/27 11:43:38
When I get older losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 11:36:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2015/10/26 11:51:04
I turn 65 next year. I was laid off at 54. Looking forward to having Medicare (in addition to what I get from the VA for being a disabled vet). Just not looking forward to paying for it.

Lost my best friend 4 years ago, when he was 63. He was 6'4", 350 lbs. and getting bigger. Pancreatic cancer. Dead in a couple of months.

I had to change my lifestyle, or I was going to end up just like him. I drink far less. I eat far less. I moved up to 7,000 feet. With my dogs, I walk several miles every day up and down the hills here. Over a period of 2 years, I lost 44 lbs. I'm down to a nice, stable 139 from 183.

Oh, and I cut my own hair. It finally occurred to me that paying someone to put on a 6 or an 8 and take it all off wasn't worth $15. A quick trip to Wally World netted me the only Remington they had in stock, amidst a wall of POS Wahls.

Lots of peeps "Go For Gold."

Me?

I'm going for OLD.
post edited by TheMaartian - 2015/10/26 11:46:42

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
Mesh
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 11:46:04 (permalink)
I use a Braun and have also been cutting my own hair for the past 15 years.....that's a nice chunk of change I've been saving (considering every 2-3 weeks @ $15 a pop).

I need to lose about 15 lbs to be at my ideal weight, but then there's this one thing that gets in the way............BECAN!!!

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 12:02:08 (permalink)
I would cut my own hair to save $$, but an $8 haircut every 6 months isn't costing me much. 

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 12:42:00 (permalink)
jamesg1213
kennywtelejazz

Yes James , I know that feeling pretty well myself  I went from "what's happening" to "what happened" .

I would imagine that you are a pretty active person and in good shape considering all the outdoors type of work you do . 

always nice talking with you , 

Kenny

Well I'm certainly active Kenny, I do 7 or 8 hours physical work every day (plenty to do at home as well as work), but since I turned 50 (5 looong years ago), that doesn't seem to make any difference.

But hey, 'round' is a good shape, right?

Hi James, 

Back in the day a friend hired me for the summer to assist him landscaping at his caretaker of the grounds gig ..
I was lifting weights at the time , he didn't work out at all and every day he kicked my a$$ all day long doing the job .

Working outdoors and doing the type of work you do is good for the soul .

I just hope they give you a little extra hazard pay when you take out the trash

Round & above the ground works for me  

joakes
Big 6 here, to lose weight is a hassle.

I travel enormously (and can't spell) so do a lot of events. Losing weight is a hassle, just enjoy it all, i need breakfast, not so much lunch, but definately dinner. How to choose ?

And i lurve crispy becan. And cognac.

Cheers,
Jerry

Hello Jerry , 

The Big 6 happened a couple of weeks ago for me . Now I'm like Yikes 

Yes , the weight thing plus keeping trim and in shape takes on new challenges …
Luckily Duke likes to walk , so I try to get him out there every day for a nice long walk …
I always feel pretty good after a nice long walk …

Oh Yeah man , I sure do love me some good food ….

bayoubill
being old has turned out to be a real experience but I can't remember what it was

I wish I could forget half the dumb $hit I did when I was young …. maybe there is hope after all . 
bayoubill
Not to worry Kenny - till they start sayin stuff like "Can I get that for you" Let me help you with that " and " Are you OK? Do you need anything"

Hi there Bill,

If I'm in a Drugstore and some young clerk comes up to me and say's ,
"Excuse me sir , we are having a sale today . Depend's  are now buy one get one free as long as you have a store coupon ..
Would you like me to reach up there on the shelf and get them for you."  
Whoa…..ouch 
Whew, Now that is one scary thought …sure hope I can dodge that one for as long as I can 

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/10/26 15:16:26

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 14:31:07 (permalink)
Mesh
Many years from now
Would you lock the door?
When I'm sixty-four?

I can't believe I've lasted this long  and still have all my hair. My face may like like a prune but my hair 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 15:25:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2015/10/26 15:45:34
Getting old beats the current alternative. 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Mesh
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 15:41:35 (permalink)

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 15:49:55 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 18:55:07 (permalink)
 Great to hear I'm not the only one feeling old. Just turned 50 a few months ago, lost a lot of friends and classmates last year to cancer, liver failure, and drugs. I still have the same waistline I had in my 20's but... . Head hair migrated south many years ago. My 20/20 vision has turned into, I probably shouldn't drive at night until I get glasses. I can now predict the weather better with my left leg and right elbow than our local meteorologist can with his fancy double Doppler.  The thing that bothers me the most about getting older is how fast time passes now. Seemed I was in my 40's for a few weeks :|  I admire you older cats that are still weathering the storm and able to joke about it and keep a positive outlook. I'm not doing so good with 50 :| I guess it was never in my plans to live this long.

Me

TheMaartian
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 19:00:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ohgrant 2015/10/26 19:27:32
ohgrant
... I guess it was never in my plans to live this long.

I always assumed that I would go the way of Jimi and Janis...but didn't. So, now what? Might as well go for old!

craigb
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 19:08:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ohgrant 2015/10/26 19:27:44
ohgrant
The thing that bothers me the most about getting older is how fast time passes now. 

This!  I no longer have to wait and wait and wait for the weekend.  It arrives very quick and, even faster, is gone... 

kennywtelejazz
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 20:59:13 (permalink)
jamesg1213
''I always knew getting old would suck, I just didn't realise how young I'd be when it kicked in''

I think the esteemed Bitflipper said that.

webbs hill studio
worse thing about getting old is i seem to be a few millimeters out these days and keep catching my elbows on sharp surfaces-doorways etc-maybe i`m getting wider and shorter or my eyesight and perception are decreasing.
so-i am currently wearing skateboard elbow pads during the day which raises a few eyebrows as i dont have a skateboard-its a fine line between eccentricity and practicality.
cheers 

I'm with you 100 % on the eccentricity part ….
The other thing w the depth perception ,
I haven't hit any body parts lately in a doorway but I do parallel  park my car by ear on occasion 

Bert Guy
Kenny,

When I went to my 40th (gasp) HS reunion a few years back, I walked into the meeting area and thought I was in the wrong place. Who are all these bald fat wankers ? Well, those would be my classmates. More of the women apparently have held up better.

And you can say this again : " ... I went from "what's happening" to "what happened" ... ". That pretty well says it all.

Cheers,

Bert

Hi Bert , 
It's funny you should bring up the high school days and the reunions ….
I've been  sort of MIA from that whole thing . 
Just this week on a whim I decided to do a search on my old high school girl friend , sure enough I was able to find her online …
Aye Car rumba  , apparently she also suffered from a severe case of "what happened"   

Kalle Rantaaho
I knew I'm of respectable age when the barber girl asked:" Do I shave your ears as well?" IIRC a feeble "Beg your pardon?" slipped through my lips.

Most respectable guys my age are driving around in a nice sports car or are out on a boat fishing …
I wish I was so lucky , all I got is the one thing Ron Howard does not have anymore 
My hair when down is rubbing much lower than my bapu starter kit moobs , plus I'm also in the process of growing a beard that would make Larry Alex proud . ( if not Larry , I'll go with Wookiee )
Yet ,  I got to ask this question right here and right now …
What 's a barber ?  & do they use girls now ? 

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/10/26 21:21:38

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/26 21:06:43 (permalink)
craigb
ohgrant
The thing that bothers me the most about getting older is how fast time passes now. 

This!  I no longer have to wait and wait and wait for the weekend.  It arrives very quick and, even faster, is gone... 

No kidding.  Seems like I have to fill my weekly pill box every 3 days!

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/27 08:58:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2015/10/27 09:19:48
I stopped going to barbers a long time ago. Since I'm not completely hair-free, I still have to whack the bits that haven't realized that their ride already left the party. I tried going to the cheap hair shearing factories that adorn the shopping centers.

I got tired of the treatment. You know what I mean. You sit in a plastic chair surrounded by fashion magazines while all other customers are handled. New customers come in after you, get their skull hats redesigned, and leave while you wait. Finally, once there are no more customers and no more excuses, you watch the lowest ranking serfs argue among themselves about which one will get stuck cutting your hair. The loser chokes down her vomit and reluctantly tells you to come sit in her chair. She fires up a razor and digs it into your scalp, leaving gashes, scratches, and long cuts across your head. She cuts your ears out of spite, slashes at the back of your neck, and then demands $15 for her 30 seconds of "work."

I can be mistreated anywhere. I don't need to pay some brainless gum smacking fashionista wannabe for the privilege. I figure that she owes me $500 for making me listen to 13 boy bands in her waiting room. Instead, I cut my own hair at home. I don't get any new scars, I save money, and I never have to listen to auto tuned idiots whose only talent is wearing makeup. Everybody wins.
Mesh
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/27 09:09:04 (permalink)
UbiquitousBubba

I can be mistreated anywhere.........
................. , and I never have to listen to auto tuned idiots whose only talent is wearing makeup. Everybody wins.

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
TheMaartian
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/27 09:49:23 (permalink)
Hi Bert , 
Just this week on a whim I decided to do a search on my old high school girl friend , sure enough I was able to find her online …
Aye Car rumba  , apparently she also suffered from a severe case of "what happened"  

This was one of the few "surprises" from my past that I'd actually been able to forget. Until now. Thanks for nothing.

I'm a (not too badly) disabled vet. I get most of my healthcare through the VA system. Many years ago, when I was still living in Chicago, I used the VA hospital in Madison, WI instead of the one in Chicago (it was as bad as the one in Phoenix is now). I'm missing some internal body parts, and the VA docs like to take the occasional look-see. So, I'm lying on my side, facing a wall, waiting for a nurse to insert the alien probe in me, when I hear the following:

"Hi, John!"

WTF?!?!? I look over my left shoulder back into the exam room and for the first time in my life, see a female shaped EXACTLY like a Bartlett pear. There must have been a look of surprise/shock/lack-of-recognition on my face. I tried looking at her badge to see who she was.

"Oh. I got married. I'm Sharon Dxxxx!"

"Oh. Hi."

OMG! Sharon Dxxxx! My high school senior class president. And a hot one, at that! Girl, WTF did you DO to yourself? How does a person get to look like THAT?

That's when I got the probe!

Hateful experience. 

kennywtelejazz
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/27 11:25:52 (permalink)
Susan G
One of the times it hits me hardest is when I have to get down on my hands and knees (like last night, to read the teeny, tiny serial # upside down off the bottom of my malfunctioning cable box so I could give it to Comcast TS.) I told my friend, "If I'm not back in 15 minutes, come & get me."

Then there's the part where I couldn't quite read it with or without my glasses, so I kind of guessed...

-Susan

Hi Susan , 

My vision is normal for every day activities except for reading . 
Yes , I know how that feels when something like that happens . Even if I'm not on all fours , it gets a little frustrating to be wearing a set of reading glasses and having to decipher what it is I'm supposed to be reading . 

BobF
I hit 55 last month ... WTF happened?! 

So you were the guy driving in front of me all last month clogging up the left lane during rush hour traffic 
Just kidding …

@Bob , Yeah when the 50's snuck up on me I was a little concerned at first , after getting through them , I have to say that was a pretty good time in my life …
I'm still trying to get with the idea that I'm no longer in my 50 's , it has only been a few weeks 

craigb
Dang!  Is this now the old farts club or what? 

It has always been like that around here  You just got the memo ?  

Beagle
craigb
Dang!  Is this now the old farts club or what? 

now?  

Beagle , you bark the truth  

UbiquitousBubba

I don't really have the energy for an argument.

I'm getting to that point my self …..it's tough lesson to learn 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/28 09:43:52 (permalink)
Yeah...

I got glasses at 47, over about 6 weeks I went from being able to read to arms length, squinting. Then the back pain (bulging disk and arthritis in my spine) started and has progressed. Hair slowly moved from my head to my nose and ears.
In the warmer months I shave my head but when it's colder I need a little hair on my neck to stay warm... and there is still a little on the sides and back. It's amazing how much hair it looks like you still have when you look straight into the mirror. Yesterday I used my phone to snap some shots of the top and back of my head. I've had a sore spot, turned out to be a "bump", like a pimple. I almost wish I hadn't taken the photos, there are spots, almost no hair on top or in the upper back.

At 55 I was still very much active, actually for most of my 50s. I'll be 64 in January and the last few years, I've been more and more tired and the back pain reminds me it is there every time I do anything involving lifting or especially that involves anything with my arms out in front of me, disk problems are lower cervical, upper thoracic.
I'm still here though. Making some moves to sell my business and reinvest in a couple of rentals... I hope.

It is hard to accept but what is the alternative. I don't have a weight problem, thankfully. I just wish I had more energy. I can do what I have to do but sometimes what I want to do waits... Going grocery shopping today.

I am lucky to have a wife who is 8 years younger and has a strong work ethic. She went back to college and became a CPA, we take care of each other.

One thing (James' post reminded me of) is I moved away from where I grew up in the early 80s. I sort of lost reference to my age group. I remember the 25th class reunion and thinking, "who are al these old people"? I still think I am younger than I am. The mirror or (especially) photos and movies, remind me. Oh well, it could always be worse.
As someone once said... "what I once abused, I now use". ...scratches head...

Lots of changes between 50 and 60, even more between 55 and 64... I hope things sort of level out for a decade or two now. At least I can still play my guitar.
Time seems to go by so fast... at least looking back on it. I remember when 1984 seemed to be the distant future and the year 2000 was so far off you didn't even think about it.. the other day I was thinking, in 1985 my wife was 25. Time goes so fast, so fast. Enjoy your time, I am. I can't do what I used to do but I can do other things!!

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/28 09:54:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ohgrant 2015/10/28 16:49:57
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3287259/Bob-Wood-81-walks-guitar-shop-leaves-staff-stunned-performance.html

https://youtu.be/mDX7JukjTIg

I don't remember if I saw this here or on FB but it is good! There is hope!
post edited by jbow - 2015/10/28 10:05:33

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
kennywtelejazz
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/28 12:52:27 (permalink)
Mesh
Many years from now
Would you lock the door?
When I'm sixty-four?

When I was a teen I used to wonder about that tunes message  . In 4 more years I guess I'm gonna find out 

TheMaartian
I turn 65 next year. I was laid off at 54. Looking forward to having Medicare (in addition to what I get from the VA for being a disabled vet). Just not looking forward to paying for it.

Lost my best friend 4 years ago, when he was 63. He was 6'4", 350 lbs. and getting bigger. Pancreatic cancer. Dead in a couple of months.

I had to change my lifestyle, or I was going to end up just like him. I drink far less. I eat far less. I moved up to 7,000 feet. With my dogs, I walk several miles every day up and down the hills here. Over a period of 2 years, I lost 44 lbs. I'm down to a nice, stable 139 from 183.

Oh, and I cut my own hair. It finally occurred to me that paying someone to put on a 6 or an 8 and take it all off wasn't worth $15. A quick trip to Wally World netted me the only Remington they had in stock, amidst a wall of POS Wahls.

Lots of peeps "Go For Gold."

Me?

I'm going for OLD.

You got a good attitude . It sounds like you took the bull by the horns and made the changes you needed to make to have a decent quality of life …

OT , when I made my journey from the East Coast to the West Coast I stopped for gas in your town . The lady working the gas station that night offered to show me around if I decided to catch a few hours of sleep ….
To this day I still wonder what would have happened if I had stayed and took her up on her offer ….
I know she is long gone since this was a long time ago , anyway , I sometimes still think about going back because I felt the place was magical ….

Mesh
I use a Braun and have also been cutting my own hair for the past 15 years.....that's a nice chunk of change I've been saving (considering every 2-3 weeks @ $15 a pop).

I need to lose about 15 lbs to be at my ideal weight, but then there's this one thing that gets in the way............BECAN!!!

Mesh, 
15 years ago I went for about a year where I did something like you are doing by trimming your own hair …
I lived in So Cal at the time . I had to stop because  it really wasn't my look & I damn near froze to death in the middle of the August triple digit temps …

BobF
I would cut my own hair to save $$, but an $8 haircut every 6 months isn't costing me much. 

Bob , 
6 months ? Why so frequent ? Them 8 bucks sure do add up 
I'm on the 2 to 3 year plan and it is the only way I can frequent the deals section of the forum  

bayoubill
Mesh
Many years from now
Would you lock the door?
When I'm sixty-four?

I can't believe I've lasted this long  and still have all my hair. My face may like like a prune but my hair 

Bill , if you still got it , I say let it fly in the wind ….

craigb

Amen 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Bert Guy
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1042
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/28 14:09:36 (permalink)
TheMaartian
Hi Bert , 

This was one of the few "surprises" from my past that I'd actually been able to forget. Until now. Thanks for nothing.

I'm a (not too badly) disabled vet. I get most of my healthcare through the VA system. Many years ago, when I was still living in Chicago, I used the VA hospital in Madison, WI instead of the one in Chicago (it was as bad as the one in Phoenix is now). I'm missing some internal body parts, and the VA docs like to take the occasional look-see. So, I'm lying on my side, facing a wall, waiting for a nurse to insert the alien probe in me, when I hear the following:

"Hi, John!"

WTF?!?!? I look over my left shoulder back into the exam room and for the first time in my life, see a female shaped EXACTLY like a Bartlett pear. There must have been a look of surprise/shock/lack-of-recognition on my face. I tried looking at her badge to see who she was.

"Oh. I got married. I'm Sharon Dxxxx!"

"Oh. Hi."

OMG! Sharon Dxxxx! My high school senior class president. And a hot one, at that! Girl, WTF did you DO to yourself? How does a person get to look like THAT?

That's when I got the probe!

Hateful experience. 

Come to think of it, two of the three women I saw at the 40th reunion, that I had been out with  back in the day, had assumed pear shapes. There went my memories!
post edited by Bert Guy - 2015/10/28 14:21:24

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/28 17:01:18 (permalink)
Every day in every way I'm getting better and better.
And older.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
kennywtelejazz
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/29 16:17:21 (permalink)
Mesh

I had a guy hit me once on Victory Blvd in the SFV while I was riding my bicycle on a warm Sunday afternoon during the summer. He never even saw me .When he hit me I flew over the guys hood bike and all   . 
The guy was driving a brand new Mustang and he gave me that look … He didn't even ask me if I was OK ….
After I got up I looked him dead in the eye walked back over to his car and slammed my elbow into the top of his hood and left a nice sized dent …Dude saw I was reaching for my cellphone to call the police and he drove off ….

Now I live in a State where if that $hit ever happens again and if I can get up I won't be reaching for a cellphone  
The Voice on Kenny's left shoulder …yeah man go for it ….The Voice on Kenny's right shoulderdude let it go , is this what you really want ? , your Cakewalk friends are not bail you out of jail and give you cig money 

Aye Carrumba just talking about even after all this time has passed ruffles my feathers a little  
time to take some deep breaths, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 , 3, 2 , 1, ahhh now I feel better

jamesg1213
kennywtelejazz

Hey James ,
I'm glad you like the pic  I love that pic myself and it always brings a smile to my face after I stop laughing  

ohgrant
 Great to hear I'm not the only one feeling old. Just turned 50 a few months ago, lost a lot of friends and classmates last year to cancer, liver failure, and drugs. I still have the same waistline I had in my 20's but... . Head hair migrated south many years ago. My 20/20 vision has turned into, I probably shouldn't drive at night until I get glasses. I can now predict the weather better with my left leg and right elbow than our local meteorologist can with his fancy double Doppler.  The thing that bothers me the most about getting older is how fast time passes now. Seemed I was in my 40's for a few weeks :|  I admire you older cats that are still weathering the storm and able to joke about it and keep a positive outlook. I'm not doing so good with 50 :| I guess it was never in my plans to live this long.

@ohgrant ,
I'm starting to think that hitting 50 messed me up more than hitting 60 …
Looking back , once the shock factor wore off hitting 50 , I have to say that my 50's years were some of the most challenging and rewarding times of my life so far….Having survived some of them I can say a lot of positive growth took place in a few areas that had me stumped for a long while …
Now there's a few new one's I'm learning to deal with 
I feel free , I feel free , I feel free, Oh $hit man , I need to find a bathroom , I got to take a Pee 

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/10/29 16:42:49

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/29 21:26:22 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
Susan G
One of the times it hits me hardest is when I have to get down on my hands and knees (like last night, to read the teeny, tiny serial # upside down off the bottom of my malfunctioning cable box so I could give it to Comcast TS.) I told my friend, "If I'm not back in 15 minutes, come & get me."

Then there's the part where I couldn't quite read it with or without my glasses, so I kind of guessed...

-Susan

Hi Susan , 

My vision is normal for every day activities except for reading . 
Yes , I know how that feels when something like that happens . Even if I'm not on all fours , it gets a little frustrating to be wearing a set of reading glasses and having to decipher what it is I'm supposed to be reading .

Hi Kenny-

I was talking more about how much more difficult it is nowadays to get up from the floor (kneeling or sitting) to a standing position. The vision thing was more of an afterthought!

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
bjornpdx
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 759
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/29 23:36:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ohgrant 2015/10/30 05:38:58
I'm going to be 70 next birthday. Looking ahead at where you'll be in 10 years sure doesn't mean the same like when you were 30. Ten years takes on some major significance from now on.

Like everyone else it seems, I still look out at the world in the same way as I did back in the younger day.  I get reminders tho of where I am on the lifespan scale.  There are the hearing aid and retirement community ads in the mail, as well as reverse mortgage and cheap cremation pitches. Everyone calls me Sir. I get the senior discount without asking. And yeah, there's the nose and ear hair that needs trimming at every haircut.

Getting old means learning to live with all those decisions you've made over the years. Things could have been better (or worse) but there you are.

Bjorn
soundcloud.com/orygun
www.bjornfredrickson.com
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/30 02:09:39 (permalink)
I think the booze ages you more than anything else (except maybe smoking and stress). My dad's in his 70's and looks a lot younger especially compared to many of his friends of the same age - the difference is he was never a heavy boozer but a lot of his friends were. I'm the same, frequently get mistaken for 10 years younger than I am (43) and I think it's primarily because I've never been a drinker. I'm still in touch with old pals from back home in the UK via Facebook, and when I see photos of some of them I can't believe I'm the same age. We all partied hard in our 20's, but some of us gave it a rest when we hit 30....I think that period between 30 and 40 is critical to how the rest of your life goes physically speaking. You really have to start looking after your body after 30 - less booze, less junk food, more exercise. The people I know who continued their 20's lifestyle through their 30's are now looking a lot worse for wear. I have a friend about the same age who just recently discovered he has dangerously high blood pressure and a damaged heart valve, it's been a huge wake up call for him and he's seriously cut back on the drink. 

Of course living healthily is no guarantee that you won't get sick, but it drastically decreases your chances and that's what's important. I may well keel over and die of a heart attack tomorrow but if I do, it certainly won't be lifestyle related, and I wouldn't regret giving myself the best possible chance. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
craigb
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/30 03:44:45 (permalink)

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/30 10:12:34 (permalink)
Hi,

Every time I see this I get shivers ... over the hills and far away, we will bury you, and forget you, like the plants ... the roses all look the same after all, and tomorrow another dog, will sniff at the spot, and a cow will step over it ... and then, of all things, tomorrow the snow comes, and we will be buried further still ... we can always imagine our next gig ... the words barely coming out of all the slobber ... but the notes were there ... were they in order? ... while the old song ... was heard ... over the hills and far away ... feeling like it was buried ... somewhere ... in the back of our soul ...

I feel like putting together a poem ... but goodness ... it would sound so damn scary and weird ... it must be Halloween! I'm surprised that Craig didn't dress you up!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
craigb
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/30 10:29:52 (permalink)
He doesn't like to wear dresses in public Pedro.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1