AnsweredGetting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience ..

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/30 10:47:27 (permalink)
craigb
He doesn't like to wear dresses in public Pedro.

Excuse me? WARLOCKS wear ROBES, not dresses!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/30 13:47:23 (permalink)
No wit Warlock.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/30 13:53:13 (permalink)
Moshkito
Hi,

Every time I see this I get shivers ... over the hills and far away, we will bury you, and forget you, like the plants ... the roses all look the same after all, and tomorrow another dog, will sniff at the spot, and a cow will step over it ... and then, of all things, tomorrow the snow comes, and we will be buried further still ... we can always imagine our next gig ... the words barely coming out of all the slobber ... but the notes were there ... were they in order? ... while the old song ... was heard ... over the hills and far away ... feeling like it was buried ... somewhere ... in the back of our soul ...

I feel like putting together a poem ... but goodness ... it would sound so damn scary and weird ... it must be Halloween! I'm surprised that Craig didn't dress you up!

I've buried quite a few animals in that field. I even waited till they were dead.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/30 14:12:18 (permalink)
TheMaartian
ohgrant
... I guess it was never in my plans to live this long.

I always assumed that I would go the way of Jimi and Janis...but didn't. So, now what? Might as well go for old!

+1 , I was around for Jimi and Janis … Was hitting my early teen years at the time .
The peers I had back then thought people over the age of 30 were to be avoided at all costs ..
I stuck around long enough to have changed my tune on that one  

craigb
ohgrant
The thing that bothers me the most about getting older is how fast time passes now. 

This!  I no longer have to wait and wait and wait for the weekend.  It arrives very quick and, even faster, is gone... 

Yes , It feels like somebody speed up my life to 2 X speed in all areas except for one.
It appears that time happens to slow down to 1/2 speed when I'm waiting for the check to come in the mail .

BobF
craigb
ohgrant
The thing that bothers me the most about getting older is how fast time passes now. 

This!  I no longer have to wait and wait and wait for the weekend.  It arrives very quick and, even faster, is gone... 

No kidding.  Seems like I have to fill my weekly pill box every 3 days!

@Bob 

Have you considered the possibility that you may be double dosing it on the pills by accident because you are getting old and you forgot you took your pills the first time ?  How do I know this could happen ?  don't ask 

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/10/30 14:33:17

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/30 15:35:38 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
The reading glasses thing was an easy one to adapt too and I've been there for about 10 years and counting …
Getting gray , I'm OK with that even though the tree line is thinning out a little on top of old smokey …
One change that is effing me up the most is I used to have a nice round butt that used to hold my pants up just fine.
Now the thing decided to get flat and move over to the front where my stomach is  
I'm like WTF …I'm way to young to be wearing  suspenders …

Kenny

LOL Kenny, I'm sitting here cracking up at this thread and where it's gone. :) I can relate on the butt thing....it's probably because we sit at our computers for too long! LOL! I always got told "you got a perfect butt for a dude" (whatever that means) because when I sat in a chair, it left little heart prints. LOL! Now that I'm getting older and I've been smoke free for almost 3 years, the ole butt just ain't what it used to be. Hahaha! I wear those one size fits all sports pants...they seems to be perfect for butts that become tenants in our stomachs! ;)

Rain
I made peace with the notion of wearing glasses, even though I recently had to get a second pair, this one for reading.

Up until my late 30's, I was blessed (or cursed) with an extremely fast metabolism. No matter what I did, I never gained weight. Then I quit smoking and turned 40. And I have to work a lot harder not to put on weight, even if I have a most healthy diet and workout an hour a day every day.

The hairline IS receding, but I can't say that I'm too worried about it.

But you know what my pet peeve is? Hair in spots where there used to be none. I even bought my own tweezers a few years ago (too bad I couldn't find zircon encrusted ones).

And hair in those spot seem to grow thicker and quicker all the time.

One of the worst spot is just around the ear hole - those drive me nut, though they're easy to pluck.
Top of the ear - some long ones grow there... Thin enough but that spot is surprisingly sensitive.
Nostrils. Thick as heck and driving me crazy. First couple of times were painful but my nostrils are now immune to pain for the most part.

Shoulders and back. Why oh why? I leave the pleasure to my lovely lady who loves to pluck them.

BTW, suspenders are cool. They've been a part of my attire for well over 10 years. Love them. :)

Rain...man, this is me to the T! Fast metab still thank God, can relate to what happens after quitting the cigs, (I've gained 12 lbs...but so far it's been better for me. I was 146, so 158 makes me look and feel a little less scrawny lol) I use reading glasses and the hair thing.....dude, let's just say, we all need to embrace man-scaping because it is the in thing today anyway. That "No No" thing is pretty killer. If you can't afford one at like $250, there's a "Yes" for $40 that does the same thing. LOL!!! It actually keeps hair from coming back in those places where you never dreamed of getting it. After 4-6 times, it gets less and less.

I've always hated hair on the back on my triceps....I never had much, but still never liked seeing anything there. That Yes thing.....5 times, it's not grown back. Hair anywhere you don't want it....5-6 times and it gets thinner and thinner and comes back super slow.

For Susan: Yeah, our eyes are definitely getting worse...but I'm going to challenge you with something. If you have time, try this and you'll see I'm not crazy. Ok, well I am a little...but....lol....

One day, I was cleaning my basement up. I found magazines from the 80's. Music mags, car mags, old books etc. Upon examining them, one thing jumped out at me that I have never noticed......

The fonts were WAY bigger! Today, they jam and cram as much as they can in a book or magazine. There are less pages and smaller text. This keeps costs down. So it's not just that we are losing our vision.....we are losing text size as well. Do you have any old mags? See how well you can read them without any glasses or magnifying glasses.

Here's another. I'm in a Chinese restaurant with my girl. The menu there even has small text. She's laughing at me telling me I need glasses because she's a bit younger than me. I do something simple that changes the game. Yeah, ok....I'm losing my vision but I have quite a few things against me as I approach my 50's....text size and......darkness! I turn on my cell phone flashlight, and low and behold....I can see the menu clearly! I don't seem to remember ordering food in the darkness years ago. Probably because years ago, the economy was good and the restaurants were nice looking. Now that they are older and the economy is crappy for most people, they dim the lights so you can't see what the place looks like. It's not just there, but I notice this everywhere I go, even the 5-star joints that end up costing me $400 for me and my girl.

I learned this when I was doing side remodeling jobs with my cousin at Denny's, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Carraba's, Outback Steakhouse, Longhorn Steakhouse etc. What you see when those lights are bright...will scare the heck out of you. Dim those lights....it's like you are in a completely different establishment. So yeah, we may be losing our vision a bit....but we are getting help and are being tricked into believing we're worse off than we are.

Last thing Susan....I just looked at one of my old cable boxes that Comcast never took back. I can read the serial number without glasses. I just looked at my current one....it looks like ants ran through mud and walked all over it. I needed a magnifying glass to read it. You're fine, trust me. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/30 16:08:20 (permalink)
I have this one freak eyebrow hair that gets about 2 inches long if I leave it. Never had that when I was younger.

Skin gets less elastic too. There's the classic test where you pinch a bit of skin on the top of your hand and watch it snap back - I remember doing this in my 20's and you couldn't even see it move it was so fast. Now I see a noticeable lag - it still snaps back fast but I can see it moving.
post edited by sharke - 2015/10/30 16:18:39

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
craigb
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/30 16:16:18 (permalink)
sharke
I have this one freak eyebrow hair that gets about 2 inches long if I leave it. 

That may be useful when the time comes for a comb-over Sharke. 

kennywtelejazz
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/30 23:23:49 (permalink)

Susan G
kennywtelejazz
Susan G
One of the times it hits me hardest is when I have to get down on my hands and knees (like last night, to read the teeny, tiny serial # upside down off the bottom of my malfunctioning cable box so I could give it to Comcast TS.) I told my friend, "If I'm not back in 15 minutes, come & get me."

Then there's the part where I couldn't quite read it with or without my glasses, so I kind of guessed...

-Susan

Hi Susan , 

My vision is normal for every day activities except for reading . 
Yes , I know how that feels when something like that happens . Even if I'm not on all fours , it gets a little frustrating to be wearing a set of reading glasses and having to decipher what it is I'm supposed to be reading .

Hi Kenny-

I was talking more about how much more difficult it is nowadays to get up from the floor (kneeling or sitting) to a standing position. The vision thing was more of an afterthought!

-Susan

Hi Susan , I think I get what you are saying 

Good Dog 

Bad Dog 

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/10/30 23:48:13

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

craigb
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/30 23:31:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2015/11/12 04:27:49
Good dog!

kennywtelejazz
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/31 04:41:56 (permalink)

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/31 06:20:43 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Moshkito
Hi,

Every time I see this I get shivers ... over the hills and far away, we will bury you, and forget you, like the plants ... the roses all look the same after all, and tomorrow another dog, will sniff at the spot, and a cow will step over it ... and then, of all things, tomorrow the snow comes, and we will be buried further still ... we can always imagine our next gig ... the words barely coming out of all the slobber ... but the notes were there ... were they in order? ... while the old song ... was heard ... over the hills and far away ... feeling like it was buried ... somewhere ... in the back of our soul ...

I feel like putting together a poem ... but goodness ... it would sound so damn scary and weird ... it must be Halloween! I'm surprised that Craig didn't dress you up!

I've buried quite a few animals in that field. I even waited till they were dead.

Hey Pedro , I got a nice little pic coming along for you real soon  

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/10/31 19:17:14

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/31 07:38:53 (permalink)
craigb
No wit Warlock.

Now THAT was funny!!!
kennywtelejazz
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/31 18:42:24 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Moshkito
Hi,

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/10/31 19:12:13

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

craigb
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/10/31 20:12:55 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

Kenny

LOL! 

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/01 04:10:33 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby kennywtelejazz 2015/11/12 04:27:28
Hi,

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/01 17:47:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2015/11/12 04:27:17
Best title of a thread I've come across in a long time.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
kennywtelejazz
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/02 16:34:23 (permalink)
TheMaartian
Hi Bert , 
It's funny you should bring up the high school days and the reunions ….
I've been  sort of MIA from that whole thing . 
Just this week on a whim I decided to do a search on my old high school girl friend , sure enough I was able to find her online …
Aye Car rumba  , apparently she also suffered from a severe case of "what happened"  

This was one of the few "surprises" from my past that I'd actually been able to forget. Until now. Thanks for nothing.

I'm a (not too badly) disabled vet. I get most of my healthcare through the VA system. Many years ago, when I was still living in Chicago, I used the VA hospital in Madison, WI instead of the one in Chicago (it was as bad as the one in Phoenix is now). I'm missing some internal body parts, and the VA docs like to take the occasional look-see. So, I'm lying on my side, facing a wall, waiting for a nurse to insert the alien probe in me, when I hear the following:

"Hi, John!"

WTF?!?!? I look over my left shoulder back into the exam room and for the first time in my life, see a female shaped EXACTLY like a Bartlett pear. There must have been a look of surprise/shock/lack-of-recognition on my face. I tried looking at her badge to see who she was.

"Oh. I got married. I'm Sharon Dxxxx!"

"Oh. Hi."

OMG! Sharon Dxxxx! My high school senior class president. And a hot one, at that! Girl, WTF did you DO to yourself? How does a person get to look like THAT?

That's when I got the probe!

Hateful experience. 

Well with you and Bert , i didn't mean to bring you guys there …. 
I'm no prize after all these years and the HS sweetie thing was a fluke .

bjornpdx
I'm going to be 70 next birthday. Looking ahead at where you'll be in 10 years sure doesn't mean the same like when you were 30. Ten years takes on some major significance from now on.

Like everyone else it seems, I still look out at the world in the same way as I did back in the younger day.  I get reminders tho of where I am on the lifespan scale.  There are the hearing aid and retirement community ads in the mail, as well as reverse mortgage and cheap cremation pitches. Everyone calls me Sir. I get the senior discount without asking. And yeah, there's the nose and ear hair that needs trimming at every haircut.

Getting old means learning to live with all those decisions you've made over the years. Things could have been better (or worse) but there you are.

bjornpdx, 

You bring up some very good points and you have a lot of wisdom  last sentence wow …

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/05 09:27:37 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

Hey Pedro , I got a nice little pic coming along for you real soon  
Kenny

As long as it has music, some beacan and less BS ... it's all good. I can handle bad comics ... especially at the CH! But then, that's like saying some Derek and Clive was better!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/05 09:43:19 (permalink)
Danny Danzi
Yeah, ok....I'm losing my vision but I have quite a few things against me as I approach my 50's....

-Danny

That's about the right age Danny.  At 54....I'm full time glasses these days.  

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
kennywtelejazz
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/05 16:42:29 (permalink)
jbow
Yeah...

Lots of changes between 50 and 60, even more between 55 and 64... I hope things sort of level out for a decade or two now. At least I can still play my guitar.
Time seems to go by so fast... at least looking back on it. I remember when 1984 seemed to be the distant future and the year 2000 was so far off you didn't even think about it.. the other day I was thinking, in 1985 my wife was 25. Time goes so fast, so fast. Enjoy your time, I am. I can't do what I used to do but I can do other things!!

J

J
Yeah , I hear you on that one 
jbow
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3287259/Bob-Wood-81-walks-guitar-shop-leaves-staff-stunned-performance.html

https://youtu.be/mDX7JukjTIg

I don't remember if I saw this here or on FB but it is good! There is hope!

That fella is what I call a Power of Example  
Nice find J , 
If I steal all his best licks , he won't be around long enough to take me to court 

sharke
I think the booze ages you more than anything else (except maybe smoking and stress). My dad's in his 70's and looks a lot younger especially compared to many of his friends of the same age - the difference is he was never a heavy boozer but a lot of his friends were. I'm the same, frequently get mistaken for 10 years younger than I am (43) and I think it's primarily because I've never been a drinker. I'm still in touch with old pals from back home in the UK via Facebook, and when I see photos of some of them I can't believe I'm the same age. We all partied hard in our 20's, but some of us gave it a rest when we hit 30....I think that period between 30 and 40 is critical to how the rest of your life goes physically speaking. You really have to start looking after your body after 30 - less booze, less junk food, more exercise. The people I know who continued their 20's lifestyle through their 30's are now looking a lot worse for wear. I have a friend about the same age who just recently discovered he has dangerously high blood pressure and a damaged heart valve, it's been a huge wake up call for him and he's seriously cut back on the drink. 

Of course living healthily is no guarantee that you won't get sick, but it drastically decreases your chances and that's what's important. I may well keel over and die of a heart attack tomorrow but if I do, it certainly won't be lifestyle related, and I wouldn't regret giving myself the best possible chance. 

@sharke , 
+1 on living a clean lifestyle  .  I would not be here today if I didn't start getting my act together in 83 .

Kenny 

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/11/05 17:29:39

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/05 17:02:42 (permalink)
Danny Danzi
kennywtelejazz
The reading glasses thing was an easy one to adapt too and I've been there for about 10 years and counting …
Getting gray , I'm OK with that even though the tree line is thinning out a little on top of old smokey …
One change that is effing me up the most is I used to have a nice round butt that used to hold my pants up just fine.
Now the thing decided to get flat and move over to the front where my stomach is  

Kenny

LOL Kenny, I'm sitting here cracking up at this thread and where it's gone. :) I can relate on the butt thing....it's probably because we sit at our computers for too long! LOL! I always got told "you got a perfect butt for a dude" (whatever that means) because when I sat in a chair, it left little heart prints. LOL! Now that I'm getting older and I've been smoke free for almost 3 years, the ole butt just ain't what it used to be. Hahaha! I wear those one size fits all sports pants...they seems to be perfect for butts that become tenants in our stomachs! ;)

-Danny

Hi Danny , 
It's nice to hear from you .
Regarding the disappearing butt thing , I knew something was seriously wrong one day while standing in the checkout line at the supermarket . I no longer had any decent looking senior citizen lady's rubbing up against me in the checkout line trying to cop a feel of my butt on the down low  …Oh well , it sure was nice while it lasted 

jamesg1213
Hi,

I'm glad you like that James 

kitekrazy1
Best title of a thread I've come across in a long time.

@kitekrazy1

In October I had my 60th B Day and it kicked up some stuff …thanks for the kind words 

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/11/06 09:16:28

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/09 09:38:23 (permalink)
Ah, getting older.

I remember when I hit 60. Actually it was more like 60 hit me and every year since smacks me stupid.

My poor old dad only made it to 56 but when I look in the mirror, I don't see me anymore. My dad's taken over my identity and looks back at me. I have so many of his mannerisms and habits it's uncanny. I don't wonder "where did the years go?" I wonder "where did I go?" Still if he can live on through me that's OK with me.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
jimusic
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1325
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/11 12:30:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2015/11/12 04:27:01
kennywtelejazz

Kenny

Hey Kenny, I can SO relate!
Just two days ago, I said to my Mrs, "Why can't I just cut this area of 'Chub' at the front ABOVE my belt line and paste it at the back BELOW my belt line? Then at least I'd look a lot more streamlined".

And sure enough - the dreaded suspenders were finally purchased just last week, and another set this week, although they were her suggestion, [perhaps purely out of necessity], but she likes them, and thinks they look cool.

As for the unwelcome and unwanted 'hair relocation project' mentioned on page 1, I too recently said that I don't understand why I have hair everywhere now EXCEPT where I actually want and need it. Hair where I used to have it is no longer, and where I never had it is way too much.

Now just what kind of really effen crappy trade off is that for fux sakes?

And that line about the teenager - how funny is that?
That used to be my tag line for the longest time, and I think it still might be on Scott's DigiFreq's forums.

My version was: 'Inside every old man is a young man wondering, "What the hell happened"?'

Unfortunately at 54 I'm at the stage [and have been for a few years now] where I do take up on the offer of 'Can I get that for you?', and 'Do you need help with that?', but luckily I have a very sweet, kind, loving and generous younger lady for 6 years now who just happens to love me to death [for some completely unknown reasons] who is helping with some things now as my health declines bit by bit.

Finally my fellow young spring chickens: I warn all not to do what I once now severally regret doing!
DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT hang you heads down parallel with the floor and look face down into a mirror!
You'll be so effen freaked out by what you see [and will never erase from your memory - believe me I've tried] that you'll be tempted to pack your Mrs. bags for her in an encouraging attempt to give her every opportunity to enjoy what's left of her life with someone else who doesn't look like that when she's being face to face intimate with them in a horizontal position.  

So now you have all been warned! [And - yes, you're welcome for that! ]

kennywtelejazz
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/12 04:05:41 (permalink)
mudgel
Ah, getting older.

I remember when I hit 60. Actually it was more like 60 hit me and every year since smacks me stupid.

My poor old dad only made it to 56 but when I look in the mirror, I don't see me anymore. My dad's taken over my identity and looks back at me. I have so many of his mannerisms and habits it's uncanny. I don't wonder "where did the years go?" I wonder "where did I go?" Still if he can live on through me that's OK with me.

Yeah , getting older = what a trip .

I do agree with you on the whole they can live on through me idea ….
A lot of what makes me who I am at my core I got from my mom.I do my best to honor her gifts that she gave me …
It has taken me my whole life to understand that concept and too accept it ….

jimusic
kennywtelejazz

Kenny

Hey Kenny, I can SO relate!
Just two days ago, I said to my Mrs, "Why can't I just cut this area of 'Chub' at the front ABOVE my belt line and paste it at the back BELOW my belt line? Then at least I'd look a lot more streamlined".

And sure enough - the dreaded suspenders were finally purchased just last week, and another set this week, although they were her suggestion, [perhaps purely out of necessity], but she likes them, and thinks they look cool.

As for the unwelcome and unwanted 'hair relocation project' mentioned on page 1, I too recently said that I don't understand why I have hair everywhere now EXCEPT where I actually want and need it. Hair where I used to have it is no longer, and where I never had it is way too much.

Now just what kind of really effen crappy trade off is that for fux sakes?

And that line about the teenager - how funny is that?
That used to be my tag line for the longest time, and I think it still might be on Scott's DigiFreq's forums.

My version was: 'Inside every old man is a young man wondering, "What the hell happened"?'

Unfortunately at 54 I'm at the stage [and have been for a few years now] where I do take up on the offer of 'Can I get that for you?', and 'Do you need help with that?', but luckily I have a very sweet, kind, loving and generous younger lady for 6 years now who just happens to love me to death [for some completely unknown reasons] who is helping with some things now as my health declines bit by bit.

Finally my fellow young spring chickens: I warn all not to do what I once now severally regret doing!
DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT hang you heads down parallel with the floor and look face down into a mirror!
You'll be so effen freaked out by what you see [and will never erase from your memory - believe me I've tried] that you'll be tempted to pack your Mrs. bags for her in an encouraging attempt to give her every opportunity to enjoy what's left of her life with someone else who doesn't look like that when she's being face to face intimate with them in a horizontal position.  

So now you have all been warned! [And - yes, you're welcome for that! ]

@jimusic Good stuff  

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/12 04:46:43 (permalink)
sharke
I have this one freak eyebrow hair that gets about 2 inches long if I leave it. Never had that when I was younger.

Skin gets less elastic too. There's the classic test where you pinch a bit of skin on the top of your hand and watch it snap back - I remember doing this in my 20's and you couldn't even see it move it was so fast. Now I see a noticeable lag - it still snaps back fast but I can see it moving.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you …. 

@sharke 

2 inch long eyebrow hair ? WOW  , Donald Trump may pay you out some good money for that 

Yes , I also got some freaky stuff going on with wild hairs in a few places .   
My right ear has a few long white hairs growing out of it , I'm hoping to put them in a braid when they get long enough ..
The skin test , I haven't tried that one out yet .
I'm still trying to get used to the idea that my body was once built like a Corvette .It was fast sleek and sexy .
Now that I'm getting older my body is built more like a Volkswagen Beetle . It is slow , round , still sexy , with a trunk up front  

Kenny 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

craigb
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/12 04:49:05 (permalink)
Leadfoot
craigb
No wit Warlock.

Now THAT was funny!!!

I was wondering if anyone would get that. 

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/12 13:09:56 (permalink)
mudgel
Ah, getting older.

This was such a great post, Mike! I lost my dad a little over a year ago. Going through all his stuff, I'm seeing myself in him as well. Especially when he was really young and was around my weight. As I age I too am starting to see him looking back at me. Not only that, but I was really strict with him when he got into his 70's. Not because I wanted to be tough but I just wanted him to always be aware.

For example, he'd stir his coffee and make it overflow leaving a coffee ring on the table. I'd wipe it up but mention that I saw it just to let him know "hey, take a look at the table after you stir". Funny thing....my girlfriend is telling ME that now. All the stuff I made my dad aware of is coming back to haunt me! But....like I had hoped with my dad with the whole "stay alert thing"....that is exactly what it's doing for me..

On another note, I too wouldn't mind my dad living through me....but after my mom passed, the last place he'd want to be is here in this crazy world. They do leave me little signs here and there that I can't even explain....so whatever happens after, they are enjoying themselves. :)

I'm actually not afraid of getting old at all. My life has been a blessing with no regrets. My only fears are losing those I love, and I myself getting sick and possibly being a burden to those in my family. But, today is a good day and I'm thankful and very happy. Older, wiser, a little grey (dying hair works wonders....no sense looking older!) a little heavier than I'd like to be, and a bit more stubborn. BUT...I'm in a great place in life so it makes it all worth it. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
jimusic
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1325
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/12 13:12:13 (permalink)
Susan G
kennywtelejazz
Susan G
One of the times it hits me hardest is when I have to get down on my hands and knees (like last night, to read the teeny, tiny serial # upside down off the bottom of my malfunctioning cable box so I could give it to Comcast TS.) I told my friend, "If I'm not back in 15 minutes, come & get me."

Then there's the part where I couldn't quite read it with or without my glasses, so I kind of guessed...

-Susan

Hi Susan , 

My vision is normal for every day activities except for reading . 
Yes , I know how that feels when something like that happens . Even if I'm not on all fours , it gets a little frustrating to be wearing a set of reading glasses and having to decipher what it is I'm supposed to be reading .

Hi Kenny-

I was talking more about how much more difficult it is nowadays to get up from the floor (kneeling or sitting) to a standing position. The vision thing was more of an afterthought!

-Susan

My exact experiences as well there Susan.
I can get down not too bad, but not without first contemplating how to get back up again.

That's when the fun starts.

Luckily that sweet lady I'm with is usually around to help with that.

The glasses have been around for about 10 years now, but even with proper prescriptions, I still have the same troubles you do - I can see the damn thing - I just can't read it!

Good thing I have a few magnifying glasses, but of course I usually forget to get those first before I crouch down on the floor in some God-awful position to read some tiny little number.

craigb
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/12 13:53:37 (permalink)
I'm now old enough to steal a saying from a secretary I used to have: "Middle age is ten years older than whatever I am!" 

UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: Getting Old is turning out to be a real learning experience .. 2015/11/12 17:08:19 (permalink)
On some planets, I'm only 19 years old. 

Granted, that means that I can't get in, but it still counts. 
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1