Helpful ReplyGoodbye Sonar, I've had enough.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
The Grim
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 02:02:45 (permalink)
as to the 'old code' i don't really think that anyone can deny it, iirc (and i usually do) , not so long back one of the cakewalk employees made a post which in essence said, that they were (planning to) taking the knife to sonars core and removing the old inefficient code' not word for word of course, but that's the essence of what was said. if you want to read it seek and ye shall find, unless it has been removed, (i have no need to prove it i know what i read and that it was said by a cakewalk employee) so old code is a fact, not that that necessarily means it's bad of course, but cakewalk must think it is to be "taking the knife to it" so argue with them if you must. i think we have already seen it in action in stuff they are doing and have done, upcoming ripple editing - removing all that problematic stuff with deleting holes etc, perhaps all the copy/paste/selection quirks, perhaps the recent performance improvements (although that may be due to just new stuff, idk) etc etc etc.
PGM
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 66
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 02:29:22 (permalink)
I am a Sonar guy! since 2.0 
Hate use other programs, as you lose time in learning.

Last week, i downoaded  free trials, and also installed versions thet I got for free with some hardware I have....Samplitube, protools le, Sudio one, nuendo 4

while i do not know programs, its clear, they have features that are great n first glance

for example, samplitude has markers 1,2,3,10 right in your face to take you to selection of the song.....it took me a second to find it, and a second to learn it. well done.

Why sonar can be inspired with such things and make GUI better

its still a chalenge for me...

so, my point is this, start listeing and monitor others whey they do....and improve. improvements made, have to be simplification of the tasks.

pro toos for example, has a inserts page, ita a breeze indestanding ruouting of the signal..sonar is not well designed it that particular view, and complicated to undrstand.

having said all of this, i do not intend to dump it,as it has a lots to offer as package, sounds, etc..

but, start adding some useful features,as mentioned above, and then move to some other staff
Pragi
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 03:43:31 (permalink)
The Grim
as to the 'old code' i don't really think that anyone can deny it, iirc (and i usually do) , not so long back one of the cakewalk employees made a post which in essence said, that they were (planning to) taking the knife to sonars core and removing the old inefficient code' not word for word of course, but that's the essence of what was said. if you want to read it seek and ye shall find, unless it has been removed, (i have no need to prove it i know what i read and that it was said by a cakewalk employee) so old code is a fact, not that that necessarily means it's bad of course, but cakewalk must think it is to be "taking the knife to it" so argue with them if you must. i think we have already seen it in action in stuff they are doing and have done, upcoming ripple editing - removing all that problematic stuff with deleting holes etc, perhaps all the copy/paste/selection quirks, perhaps the recent performance improvements (although that may be due to just new stuff, idk) etc etc etc.

Thanks , for the reply,.Paul and Grim.
No need to argu with anyone about it
cause I´m a happy sonarian.
I´m just curious about the reflex of some forumities
to bring up  the "old" code  in every DAW comparison discussions.

regards
The Grim
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 03:59:09 (permalink)
PGM
I am a Sonar guy! since 2.0 
Hate use other programs, as you lose time in learning.

Last week, i downoaded  free trials, and also installed versions thet I got for free with some hardware I have....Samplitube, protools le, Sudio one, nuendo 4

while i do not know programs, its clear, they have features that are great n first glance

for example, samplitude has markers 1,2,3,10 right in your face to take you to selection of the song.....it took me a second to find it, and a second to learn it. well done.

Why sonar can be inspired with such things and make GUI better

its still a chalenge for me...

so, my point is this, start listeing and monitor others whey they do....and improve. improvements made, have to be simplification of the tasks.

pro toos for example, has a inserts page, ita a breeze indestanding ruouting of the signal..sonar is not well designed it that particular view, and complicated to undrstand.

having said all of this, i do not intend to dump it,as it has a lots to offer as package, sounds, etc..

but, start adding some useful features,as mentioned above, and then move to some other staff

a daw with the best bits, ideas, features from every other daw all rolled into one would be great. it is foolish to think that everything sonar (or any other daw) does is the best, not only foolish, but statistically highly improbable, not to say highly unrealistic. who cares who makes it, who cares what it's called, having emotional attachments to a company and or a product to the point where it causes you to get defensive and butt hurt every time said company/products shortcomings, deficiencies or issues are brought to the fore is utter folly and something i will never be able to comprehend. it's a company, it's a product, it's a tool, there will always be something better coming along. i believe some people stay with product xyz because it's what they know, they have expended a lot of time, effort and money into it and that causes them to delude themselves from ever moving forward to something better, something new, it's just emotional attachment. (of course the time, effort and money expended on xyz product is a good enough reason to want to stay), but be honest about it, there will always be something better. i thought sonar was the best, it was my first, then the x series came along and i walked, x3e pulled it back together and me back, then platinum built on that, then for me studio one 3 came along, to me it's much better, far more solid, very intuitive to me, does things in a way that just seems right to me,  was a hand in glove fit to me, has many great features big and small that i prefer, but when something comes along that i like better, that rings my bell louder, i'm gone, and in time it will, that's a certainty. it may well be sonar again, that's the reason i jumped on the lifetime membership (that and the $99 deal was just to good to pass up ). i have never found switching daws daunting, the basics are pretty much all the same, so you can be up and running almost immediately, then you just learn what you need as you need it, learn the different ways to do things, it's not that big a deal. but don't limit yourself to something, whatever it may be just because, and just disregard everything else out of hand . . . foolishness
PGM
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 66
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 04:16:42 (permalink)
No,! we are talking here about perception, when you open new DAW. and if it takes a second, for a task it took me hour to figure out, and another 10 min ifi do not use it for a while, I think its a legitimate question.

if you primary business is recording, then its a different story. Your comment about Studio ONe is just the thing I am talking about...simplification.

Cakewalk should have a PUNCH list, and a PROCESS which should go first.

this a decision problem, what should we change first.......adding stuff for marketing purposes, advanced features...or simlifiction process od GUI..

I do not know how this is detrmined, but Studio one, and Abelton are pure guidance that customer do care about it..in my opinion,sonar with proper management would run circles around them a decade ago

I know, there was a problem with Roland, that treated Cakewalk like a foster child, because od Boss brand etc......but now its a fresh start, and i am trying to let them know
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 07:12:09 (permalink)
The Grim
jpetersen
Never touch old code if it ain't broke.
Far newer code in Studio One yet it boots so slow.
Sonar starts in seconds.

not here, they both boot fast enough, although studio one boots noticeably faster, does it matter? not me, just my observation and my experience

one nice thing is that s1 tells you what it's doing while booting...

just a sec

chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 07:12:30 (permalink)
I believe someday there will be a DAW which we will be able to custom tailor to our own needs.
Insert our own code in simple ways. We are just not there yet.
Until then, enjoy what we are doing in this day and age.

It wasn't too long ago I was cutting tape all night long to complete one kick track.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Pragi
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 07:21:17 (permalink)
Well said, Chuck.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 08:00:09 (permalink)
Sonar starts in 3 seconds for me, ready to go.  Old code or not, that's good enough!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 10:14:04 (permalink)
I'm one of the mind who doesn't feel anyone should stick to the belief that you should always "Stick to the DAW you started with".
 I started with tape, moved up to Tascam D-88 DAT, then naturally progressed into Mac Pro Tools for audio recording but relied heavily on Cakewalk Pro Audio on a Windows machine for MIDI sequencing, then dropped the Mac like a hot potato when OSx became of age introducing a very rocky start to core-audio drivers, it also required enormously expensive hardware and software upgrades at the same time SONAR 4 matured into a reliable and very low latency multi track audio recording monster with a very inexpensive and great sounding M-Audio Delta 1010 PCI audio interface, which clearly and VERY noticeably out performed the Mac/Pro Tools rigs and at a fraction of the cost.
 This also made it so much less expensive I was also easily able to afford ACID Pro, Vegas Pro, Sound Forge Pro, Cubase, and Reason all of which had an enormous impact on my creative abilities, workflow, and output.
 I soon made enough money to be able to afford the necessary industry evil; the Mac running Pro Tools.
 I still use a 5 year old Mac today running Pro Tools 8 and Reason 5, because if I go any further with upgrading OSx and PT, I'll either need a new audio interface or pay AVID $200 for new drivers to get my Digi 02 to work with PT 12.

Now while SONAR is my personal favorite, I'm not at all a fan of the prescription plan, I'm more of a recording artist then a beta tester and after a  few bad destabilizing monthly updates causing me to roll back, and once having to reinstall, I think maybe I prefer doing it once a year.
 And this is also why I keep X3 PE on my computer as my primary DAW.
I truly believe learning all these other DAWs and NLE not only helped me to stay in business, they also helped prepare me for learning curves I suffered with all the radical and the abrupt departure from 8.5 to "X" changes Cakewalk made through the years from Pro Audio to SONAR Platinum.
 I'm not saying that I don't absolutely LOVE the ProChannel, and as quirky as it is at times Skylight interface is really quite nice.
 However I found it easier to get used to Studio ONE then I did the change over from 8.5 to X, LoL, and there really is some very simple things Studio ONE does I love that SONAR doesn't do.
Like marking and tabbing Intro, Verse, Bridge, Chorus, Ending of the song into movable sections, making it super easy to change the arrangement of the composition around.

One of my longest running pet peeves of Cakewalk is the lack of ability to list the multi channel audio inputs separately, like on my old Delta 1010 or current Scarlett 18i20 as mono inputs 1 thru 8, like every other DAW does actually, it's not like Focusrite audio interfaces are uncommon or weird or anything.
 And NO renaming the inputs doesn't help, odd number channels are listed as left and even number channels as right.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

thedukewestern
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 17:54:07 (permalink)
Its hard for me to tell if this thread has been taken over...  (sarcasm)

Be the first one who thinks that you can

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64 bit - clean install January 2016, Focusrite Pro 40, Outboard Pres, Native Instruments Komplete, Izotope, PSP, Melodyne, Vegetarian
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 19:37:34 (permalink)
chuckebaby
I believe someday there will be a DAW which we will be able to custom tailor to our own needs.

It wasn't too long ago I was cutting tape all night long to complete one kick track.

Reaper is close to that with their SWS extensions. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 19:38:36 (permalink)
thedukewestern

I guess this one will not die soon enough.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 19:59:07 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
chuckebaby

Reaper is close to that with their SWS extensions. 

I agree, Reaper has some cool customizing ability's.
Not quite there yet. but in 10 years from now, I think we will be in business

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 20:13:29 (permalink)
Maybe a hybrid of Reaper and Studio One?

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 20:59:00 (permalink)
The OP-  October 03, 15 9:46 AM 

So I'm not sure why this thread is still here. I guess these threads with catchy titles get everyone's attention much more so than someone needing help. 
If the powers that be were smart they's move them to a sub forum right away. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

telecharge
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/22 22:00:06 (permalink)
Cactus Music
The OP-  October 03, 15 9:46 AM 

So I'm not sure why this thread is still here. I guess these threads with catchy titles get everyone's attention much more so than someone needing help. 

Yeah, I noticed this is a thread from 2015.

It's inevitable that old threads will sometimes get bumped by people finding them via search, and you can't expect everyone to notice a thread's age.

I agree with you about the catchy titles, but not so much about moving the threads. To me, that would seem like the "powers that be" are being defensive and hiding something. The smart thing to do is take feedback where you can get it. Of course, it won't all be useful or actionable.

I also think some people here are too touchy. They react like any criticism of Cakewalk/Sonar is a personal attack on their life choices.

I've only known you to be helpful, Johnny, so thanks for that.
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/23 00:54:06 (permalink)
Cactus Music
So I'm not sure why this thread is still here...

Which sub-forum would they move it to? The thread has "Sonar" in the title and it's in the Sonar forum. Maybe the content of the original post says more about the poster than it does about Sonar, but I still believe that it is in the right forum.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Steev
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/23 06:23:21 (permalink)
Kev999
Cactus Music
So I'm not sure why this thread is still here...

Which sub-forum would they move it to? The thread has "Sonar" in the title and it's in the Sonar forum. Maybe the content of the original post says more about the poster than it does about Sonar, but I still believe that it is in the right forum.

I hadn't realized this thread was so old, but it did appear at the top of the list, so it's obviously still quite relevant.
 And yes indeed it did catch my eye being as of late I've been getting increasingly frustrated with the subscription plan, and seemly utter lack of support. I've been waiting months for a reply concerning Rapture Pro. All I got was an instant response email with a case number.
 I don't know if support was always that way, as I've rarely needed it, and this forum was always quite good and very helpful for searching for solutions.
 However
kitekrazy1
thedukewestern

I guess this one will not die soon enough.

These are quite an abysmal solutions, nothing more then opinions and seemingly more politically directed than technical. Now I don't come here very often, never really had to, but this seems like an indicator that this user forum might just be turning into "da BOYZ Club" and certainly isn't what it used to be.
 Really not a place for things like using sarcasm as a tool for solutions.
Sarcasm used improperly has a way of making you seem more like biased idiot then being witty, so umm, I'm sorry if I'm boring you genius's.
 I wouldn't even be here looking for answers and solutions if I hadn't noticed annoying problems mounting up.
Perhaps there aren't "problems" that can be fixed at all, and just new and improved terms of "conditions" I have to live with. 
 If that's the case, I'll just live with SONAR and the Cakewalk products I own the way they are, and not give them anymore money is all.
 And oh yeah, I really thought the DAW technology, innovation, and development went through the roof during the period when Roland owned/partnered with Cakewalk, which was a very natural progression. Certainly and obviously the main reason it caught the eye of a behemoth like Gibson Brands which is more like an unnatural Wall St. progression.
 Maybe SONAR peeked out, heh?

Anywoo, as I've stated before SONAR is my absolute FAVORITE DAW, and one in which I find is the most customizable and feature rich DAW available on the market, and as I've stated above, I work in several different DAW environments. Not because I want to, because I have to.
 There is no one best of anything, no size fits all solution,  it's just a matter of finding the right tools for the right job.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/23 08:18:13 (permalink)
You have 30 days to try out the product for free. I would imagine you could even make that longer if you used two trials on different computers.

There really is no excuse for trying a product for an extended period of time, buying it and then deciding you don't like anything about it. Download the demo, try it out and in the end if you don't like it, don't buy it. I suspect some people might buy without trying it first. No matter what you used prior to this, you will be more familiar with that program initially and a new working environment will take some adjustment.

If you download the demo and you can't seem to figure it out there are many  videos and helpful notes in the software. In addition there's always the manual. If you have questions there are plenty of people here willing to help.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Steev
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/23 11:14:17 (permalink)
Starise
You have 30 days to try out the product for free. I would imagine you could even make that longer if you used two trials on different computers.

There really is no excuse for trying a product for an extended period of time, buying it and then deciding you don't like anything about it. Download the demo, try it out and in the end if you don't like it, don't buy it. I suspect some people might buy without trying it first. No matter what you used prior to this, you will be more familiar with that program initially and a new working environment will take some adjustment.

If you download the demo and you can't seem to figure it out there are many  videos and helpful notes in the software. In addition there's always the manual. If you have questions there are plenty of people here willing to help.

Thanks man, ya know you might have a shot at a career in marketing.. Yep, and all the best wishes.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

Starise
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/23 13:11:44 (permalink)
Sorry Steev. You were the last poster before me and I should have stated that I made a statement and it wasn't really directed at any one individual. 

Disclaimer-I don't work for Cakewalk and all my opinions are subject to intense scrutiny. I sincerely believe in them or I wouldn't share them 

One thing I noticed in a previous post is that some don't like the business model of Sonar Platinum. For those who might be new here. Cakewalk has choices that are one time purchases and are plenty good enough for a basic user. Platinum has several purchase options. Just sayin'. There should be enough here to make everyone happy.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/23 15:47:31 (permalink)
Is the OP gone yet? 

Do we start making fun of him now?
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/23 15:48:32 (permalink)
code I wrote yesterday is old if the requirements change.

Steev
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/24 07:39:27 (permalink)
Thanks Starise, but no need to apologize as no offense was taken. And yes indeed I believe SONAR has WAY more then enough to suit anyone's personal workflow needs from capturing live musicians and tracking audio/MIDI performances, to loop and groove based genre specific sequence composition and everything in between to the point of actually offering way too much for any one user too even get a grip on all of it.
 Which I might add is utterly impractical if not impossible to do with a 30 day free trial

I'd go as far as to say that I haven't found much or anything that couldn't be done in SONAR, I just had to go about doing it differently.
 And this I believe was the OP's main problem, he expected SONAR to have silver bullets included to make it behave the way HE wanted it to, with all the controls, buttons, and levers in all the same places which was exactly like FL.
 Most likely one of those who say stuff like; "HELP FILES! I don't needs no stink'in Help Files.

Now I was never one who was even comfortable working with prerecord rhythm patterns 
 It didn't take me long to figure out a MUCH easier and smoother way to work with ACID loops in SONAR then it is with ACID Pro, and combining and using Cakewalk's MIDI Groove Clips makes SONAR seem like ACID on STERIODS with a turbo charged engine with overhead cam and glass packs.
 What typically takes hours to arrange and edit in ACID takes minutes to do in SONAR, and you can easily shave off many more minutes from that just with SONAR's ProChannel.
 I tried to convince many of my ACID/artist/collaborators who were blown away with the speed, efficiency, and superior sound quality I was achieving to try the 30 day SONAR trial, and I would not only walk them through it, I offered a custom mixed SONAR project of a song we were already collaborating on in ACID Pro.
 Only 2 out of 10 jumped on the offer, no one else would even budge and only one purchased SONAR, and eventually went back to using ACID after about a year because he wasn't happy at all with support, and because of overly complicated patching and routing issues he had to go though every time he added a track.

A problem which still exists today, even with all the offered templates, all of which miss the mark on basic I/O assignments, though most of us here most likely are so used to it we don't really notice it anymore.

Now I know the bakers are all so busy what with getting SONAR to run right on a Mac and all, but............. Ummm..... Well, I don't mean to be disrespectful but my money says that that will prove to be an enormous waste of time and money.
 Does anyone, and I mean ANYONE really believe that they can win over and change the minds of a Pro Tools or Logic Pro user to jump ship?
 Does anyone, and I mean ANYONE really believe Apple will even continue making and developing desktop or even laptop computers long enough for Cakewalk to even attract new Mac Head users that don't automatically [and correctly] assume that Pro Tools or Logic Pro are the ONLY true professional choices for a most powerful, smooth, and reliable workflow?

Oh BTW, Logic Pro is the SONAR of the Mac Head World, and it is a VERY SERIOUSLY SERIOUS CONTENDER!
 It is also the hands down winner of the lowest latency with Focusrite Scarlett Gen 2 interfaces. An astonishing 1.7 ms @ 24/96 ROUNDTRIP with USB 2 which easily supports routing and running VST audio plugins as channel inserts or Aux. in real time audio recording with undetectable latency.
 2x-3x lower latency then I register with SONAR which would still be low enough to be great IF SONAR supported running VST audio plugins in real time, which it doesn't.

It's things like these we notice when and if we ever leave the SONAR Bubble.

Sorry boyz and girlz, as much as I love SONAR, it is not the best, nor will it ever be offering it to Mac Heads that been picking on it for the past 20 years or so. LoL

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

Starise
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/24 11:05:37 (permalink)
Steev Acid pro was great for what it did IMO, however similar to you, I used my Acid loops in Sonar with great success. Maybe you didn't know this , maybe you do. Magix bought Acid Pro.

I happen to think that the reason we have 1000 post threads is because people make choices and feel such a confidence in that choice that nothing else can compare. If I buy a Ford, I'm not going on over to the Chevy forum to tell those poor bastards about what a grave mistake they all made.

Then there are the disgruntled users.
If a person's inner karma feels bad about Sonar then don't use Sonar. I wish you all the very best. Software is in a constant state of transition and things can happen. Much like life sometimes. The  main ingredients necessary to really get some of it are patience and understanding. Didn't work? Cool your  jets, stop wasting 95% of your energy complaining and use that to find a solution!!!

I reckon you can see why I'm not a customer service rep. 

Then there's the much less discussed issue. User error. User misinformation. User disinformation. That isn't a very popular subject. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a new user ready to spit bullets over something that they should have done. I was one of those people like 20 years ago. " I have crackles in my audio. Help!!!" It has to be that stupid software. 

I'm not saying 30 days is enough time to know everything about the software. It is enough time to evaluate it to know if you'll use the basic functions and like the basic workflow. If a person can't do that, they should probably not be using a computer IMO.

I used  Apple computers a long time ago. I like Macs. I think I understand why some people like to use them instead of a PC. I believe there is a real market for software made for a Mac. The studio heavyweights might be less inclined, however I think this is a blanket statement. In addition, there are many more casual mac users out there than pro studio users. If it wasn't a solid approach I don't think Cakewalk would be doing it. There are at least three other DAW software companies that come immediately to mind who also think this is a good idea, have made money on it and continue to make software for both platforms. 

Twitter @Rodein

olive2sing
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/24 12:25:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/02/24 20:18:40
Perhaps my needs are too simple. When I hear complaints about things being clunky I don't notice them much. Not that they are not legitimate complaints, if you're a professional you need efficient tools. I'm just tickled to have the tools we enjoy. In the early 70's when I dreamed of having a studio I never dreamed of to days capability.
So here is my "Old guy rant"
"When I was your age we had to wait for the tape to rewind"
 Have a great take,
Dave G

Intel Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.5 GHz, 8 GB Ram, Windows 10 pro, SPLAT, CbB , Dim Pro, Rap Pro, MOTU Ultra Lite mk3, MOTU Micro Lite, dbx 266XL, Gelzybilt M2 tube mic pre, Korg DSS-1, Korg X5DR, A&H ZED14, Akai MPD24, room full of toys accumulated over a lifetime 
Thedoccal
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 290
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/24 12:32:55 (permalink)
Trolled by another old thread.  The OP is long gone.  I need to fine tune my forum skills.

http://www.catastrophelounge.com
The NeckDive Strap - NEW^^
Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/24 12:58:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Steev 2017/02/24 15:55:20
Probably time for a lock. There are some really good points in here, but they'll get lost in the noise.

Oh, and as to latency...use a PCIe card-based interface, and you'll get Thunderbolt-level latency with SONAR. All Thunderbolt does that benefits audio is bring the PCIe bus out to where it's accessible. People in the Mac bubble don't realize that Windows-based systems have been able to get super-low latency for years...as did the Mac when it had easily accessible PCIe slots 

But Thunderbolt is really cool if you're doing audio and video, no question about it.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
kb420
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1839
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/24 19:49:53 (permalink)
Anderton
IMO SONAR has reached the point where its feature set is very close to "all you need." Of course there are still holes, like ripple editing and room for MIDI improvement, and there are always things one could want. But if you look over the updates for the past several months, it seems Cakewalk is doing the software equivalent of "renovating" rooms in a mansion.

abacab
I think that the core of Sonar is very close to "all you need", at least as a recording studio.

There are a few areas that seem to be better addressed by other products. Such as notation based and pattern based composition

I think Sonar needs midi improvement,  and it is long overdue.  I really don't get this concept of product loyalty that's been discussed in this thread.  The only loyalty that I think is necessary is for the companies to make sure that their products continue to be compatible with 3rd party plugins and OS updates.  That being said,  I'm glad that I'm not necessarily satisfied with Sonar's midi implementation.  That coerced me to experiment with other programs,  and I actually enjoy it.  I really like trying out other programs to determine the thought process behind the different workflows.  I've definitely found some alternatives that suit my midi needs better.  

I love the way that Sonar handles audio.  I find the thought of Cakewalk revamping the midi sequencing exciting.  I don't have any idea of when or if it may happen,  but if it did,  I think I could find myself working on some projects from start to finish in Sonar alone.  If it never happens,  then that's fine.  I'm more than happy with my current set up.  

I know that this is an old thread,  but I just think that if anyone is unhappy with anything about their DAW,  then they owe it to themselves to experiment with other options.  There are so many other options that I feel you would be doing yourself a disservice by not giving one a try. 

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1