Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
2011/08/21 15:25:26 (permalink)

Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss

Hey guys, favor to ask. 

In return, well, you get your music heard and you also get to go over the details of what tools you used, how you shaped your tone and all that good stuff we gear addicts and studio cats just love to talk about. ;) 

I'd be interested in hearing guitar oriented stuff, more particularly anything that's done w/ amp sims (software that is) - Amplitube, GTR, Guitar Rig, Acme Bar, impulse stuff, whatever it is that you use. Anything from slightly driven to mad distortion.

Basically, I know there's many ways to skin a cat, but I find myself always coming back to similar recipes and I sometimes feel like I'm putting a lot of energy and taking many steps to get the sort of tone I'm after - IOW, in most case, just putting an amp sim on the track and eq'ing/compressing won't cut it, except for tracking, so I find myself jumping through all sorts of crazy hoops afterwards. Maybe I need some sort of perspective. OTOH, I vaguely remember reading a few posts by DD, and if I remember correctly, his methods can also be quite elaborated. 

Anyway, I'd be curious to read how you guys get this or that sim that your using to work for you. For example, I know that many folks use Guitar Rig, but I personally cannot seem to get anything out of it - so hearing what you guys are happy with in the context of a song might help me regain some perspective. So if you feel like sharing, just chime in, post a link to one (or a couple) of your songs for which you think your amp sim did a good job, and go into as much details as you wish to.

I know the Songs forum is full of examples, but I thought it'd be easier to have one thread on that specific subjet. I also know there are other forums dedicated to that type of stuff on the web, but, what can I say - this is my most favorite community.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...

141 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/21 16:36:38 (permalink)
    OK...I'll bite...

I don't use the sims either. I use mostly a POD2.... but I keep saying I need to use my Boogie and the mic.... one of these days....

For song examples.... hit my music page and look up Emerald Eyes. That has plenty of guitar in it as well as a miked acoustic.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Rain
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/21 17:19:13 (permalink)
    That's a start. Thanks Guitarhacker! :)

I used a Pod for years, and was actually relatively happy with it. I wouldn't say 100% happy, but it worked, and seemed to require less fiddling to just sit in the mix - mostly a matter of maybe adding a hi pass and maybe pushing the higher frequencies up a bit. 

I'll give that a listen.

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/21 18:18:22 (permalink)
    I usually just go direct (direct box). Then some eq and compression and lots of diddling. 
    Only use a sim or guit rig or amplitude if I want crunch.
    I think the way I do things is related to not having a very robust computer.
    I don't mic the guit anymore.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Rain
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/21 20:03:34 (permalink)

My main issue w/ software sim is that, while I find them awesome as a tracking tool, they seem a bit all over the place, so I always feel like I have to go back and re-shape the sound and then eq and compress for the actual mix.

For example, in Amplitube, I systematically put an EQ in the rack to create a light bump around 200H and filter out a very narrow band at around 8500 because there seems to always be a problematic frequency in that area - not just with Amplitube, with pretty much all amp sims I've tried.

Most of the time, I'll end up using impulses somewhere down the line, which seems to take care of 80% of the issues - those seem to have this slight bump at around 200H and the high frequencies seem to rolloff more musically (to my ears). 

Of course those frequencies are all there in amp sims, but it's like they're spread evenly all across the spectrum, whereas impulses seem to accentuate certain specific zones.

Eq'ing alone doesn't seem to work, as it doesn't make the sound more dense. Maybe a multiband would help. Or maybe it's just my perception. Because I know a lot of folks use amp sims and get the results.

These are just ideas I'm trowing out there - I'm sort of struggling with guitar sounds these days, but I don't have all the engineering background, so feel free to share your thoughts

Tim, I'll try and check your stuff tonight. :)
    Thanks.

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/21 20:41:20 (permalink)
     Great article on use of the LP64 in last months SOS

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug11/articles/sonar-tech-0811.htm

Basically you make copies of the same guitar track and then treat each track in its own spectrum. Panning the tracks adds even more dimension. Guitar Rig 4 has a similar function,I have GR4pro but never tried to use that ....yet. Maybe someone else can comment on it.
     In reading about some of the all time great recording engineers who record heavy power chord stuff. They do a similar thing with tons of guitars to get one great stem mix.

Let me know if you have trouble with the link.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

timidi
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/21 21:01:30 (permalink)
    Seriously Rain, None of that stuff matters. It's a guitar. It will sound like what it sounds like. A guitar..
    I left overobsessing about the right tone a long time ago. The tone is in your fingers, not the processing. The prcessing may dictate how your fingers respond so that is definately an issue. However, Just dial something in and go for it. After all, it's all about the song anyway. 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

Rain
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/21 21:17:38 (permalink)
    Link working fine. Thanks. :)

Rain
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/21 21:28:41 (permalink)
    timidi

Seriously Rain, None of that stuff matters. It's a guitar. It will sound like what it sounds like. A guitar..
    I left overobsessing about the right tone a long time ago. The tone is in your fingers, not the processing. The prcessing may dictate how your fingers respond so that is definately an issue. However, Just dial something in and go for it. After all, it's all about the song anyway. 

That's basically what I'm trying to do - to cut down to it as simply as possible, because, well, what I'm working on is, in theory, only rock n' roll. 

While I'm not necessarily trying to replicate something as raw as, say, the White Stripes, I'm definitely not after modern hyper-processed rock/metal tones either - so there's sort of a paradox in me going to such extent to recreate something that sounds simple. I realize that and that's one of the points of posting this.

My tastes, most of the time are fairly simple - my own favorite rig used to be a combination of a little Marshall and a Bassman 59', a tube drive and a wah. No rocket science. 

But heck, I read that Malcom Young is using Amplitube on a few cuts on the last AC/DC. If that's okay for an old-timer like him, there must be something I'm not doing right. 

EDIT - BTW, just previewed some of your material - there are indeed some tones in there. :)

post edited by Rain - 2011/08/21 21:42:57

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/21 23:59:17 (permalink)
    Rain - this is an interesting topic.  I love going direct (dry in mono) and using amp sims for the conveinience of it.  Check out this song which has a bunch of guitar tracks, a couple clean strats with different amps, strat using an envelop filter and tremelo, a pair of les paul crunch tracks, and les paul lead.  I'm using Pod Farm exclusively for all guitar processing.  http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10389337

Sometimes I feel that there must be something better than the line 6 stuff, and then I try others, guitar rig, the new waves amp sims, amplitude and the peavy software (I forgot the name), and none of them seem to be appreciably better (or worse) so I've stuck with the line 6 pod farm - basically for simplicity.    Normally I use delays and reverbs outside of the the amp sim.  But the track with the tremolo and envelope filter was all inside pod farm.

Let me know if you think this could be improved with a different amp sim.  I'm willing to try anything.
    post edited by guitartrek - 2011/08/22 00:00:18
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 09:59:54 (permalink)
     I am surprised that you haven't gotten tons of responses to this.....

Guitarists can literally go on and on and on and on and on and on about the "tone". No two of them have the same opinion either. For some of them, I don't think they have really found the holy grail yet but they will know it when they hear it lol.

I am a realtively new guitarist coming from keyboard roots.......ok lets not mince words here.....I'm a newbee. I love the instrument and I kick myself every day that I picked up a keyboard intead of a guitar first. When I started guitar, I was hooked and ended up with a few real amps, some of them tube. GR4 and Amplitube,the TC Electronic Nova system(this is total analog effects with digital control and a Line 6  HD 500, oh and one of those Boss acoustic simulator thingys,the biggest one they make....Doggonit if a person can't conjure something from that its not the hardware or the software!

If only the guys back in the 50's had known how complex their simple little tube amps and simple chunks of wood with pick ups on them would become!

Recording guitar,especially electric guitar is probably worthy of a 500 page book that only 50% of guitarists will agree with and the other 50% will say the book was too expensive. It is an art no doubt. I think rock guitar presents more challanges than recording other styles. There are so many variables when recording guitar in a home studio.

I can't listen to the track posted yet but I'll give it a listen later. I think that one of the things driving guitarists to look for the holy grail is individuality. No two of them want to sound the same but they all want to sound good.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 11:01:27 (permalink)
    i'm strictly in the guitar>>cable>>amp>> mic (or other, explained later) camp.

i spent two years working with a POD XT, using it in every possible way: direct with sims, as a preamp thru my boogie, with/without the speakers, mics, every possible combination of amp sim with pedals, without, clean, dirty, just everything.

and i walked away from it.

was NEVER EVER happy with it.

never felt right.

was COMPLETELY UNINSPIRING.

the recorded sounds were ok.
    and the average listener would probably never be able to tell....

but for me, as the PLAYER, i could never play my best with it.

as for capturing my tones, i use a mixture of mics: shure sm57, adk Hamburg, AT 4033, and Shure KSM44.

but i've also added to the arsenal, the Palmer PDI-09, which is a device that takes the pure output signal of the tube speaker out, and captures it at line level, and filters it thru a 'cabinet filter', which adds 3 different choices of eq filters to approximate a miced cabinet.

i use this a lot by itself, moreso lately than not.
    but i also add miced tracks along with the palmer capture, and blend them, hard left and right in the mix.

this has been my favorite method of capturing guitar tones to date.

here are some examples of the different methods, with varying amounts of clean versus dirty.....
    guitars: Custom USACG Strat, Custom Williams Hybrid, Carvin DC-200K, Ibanez Artist 2618.
    amp: Mesa Boogie Mark2b 60w
    Cabinet: Avatar vintage closed back, with Celestion Heritage G12h-55

"Work it Out" (2006)
    straight mic, sm57
     close mic, guitar>amp>cab>mic
    <<< Deleted >>>

"Thief" (2005)
    all POD XT
    <<< Deleted >>>

"Allan's Resolve" (2011)
    blend of miced cab with the Palmer PDI-09, all solo/melody guitars, rhythms are miced
    <<< Deleted >>>

"Walked Away" (2011)
    all Palmer PDI-09, no mics
    <<< Deleted >>>
    post edited by batsbrew - 2011/08/23 00:25:06

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Rain
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 12:52:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for chiming in guys. :) All very much appreciated and I sure hope people keep on contributing to this. 
    I'm on my day off today but I'll be back to listen and read later tonight or tomorrow.  Thanks again.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 13:20:29 (permalink)
    OK let me expand on the POD....

I went guitar> cable> amp... for years. I did not like the stomp boxes and the FX boxes at all.  (live gigging) So when I started recording, the directs of the day gave a very dry sterile sound. 

A friend turned me on to the POD2 as the best thing since sliced bread for a guitarist. I bought one used on Ebay then added the 4 channel footpedal a while later. 

I've used it live, and don't really like it for live or as a preamp to my amp. I do find it works very nicely once it's set up right to get a very passable and easy to work with guitar tone in the studio.  Again, I avoid most of the FX in the thing....sticking to reverb and a bit of delay most often. 

I heard that some famous engineer was getting the chance to record Joe Walsh. So Joe walks in with his guitar and a POD2..... plugs it up and does the session. The engineer was ticked. He wanted to work with mikes and amps.... Joe went for the convenience factor. I concur. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 13:51:31 (permalink)
    Before Sonar I used a Boss Br-8 for recording. When I moved to a DAW I kept the Boss as a pre-amp/guitar modeller, and stuck with it ever since. I love the Boss COSM effects, and the tones just seem thick and creamy to me, particularly with my Les Paul. I've never been one to record dry and re-amp later, I always get the tone I want going in. If it ends up not working, I re-track with a new tone.

My rockier stuff probably shows that side of things, any of the 4 tracks here;

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=756694

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 13:55:13 (permalink)
    I use the POD X3. If you listen to what I've posted you quickly hear that I don't spend any time on tone or perfecting anything. I just want to get ideas down so if I need them I can use them later and I'll have something to remember what I did. The guys on these forums are amazing to me and get wonderful recordings. I wish I was patient enough to learn how to do a real pro recording.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 13:59:43 (permalink)
    Rain, before I post a novel on this subject, can you give me an example of the kind of tone you are looking for? That would really help me to help you hone in on what you may need to do. One of the things I'm obsessive with, is tone chasing. There's never been a tone I couldn't get from the tools I have here...and I've never had a problem getting my own tone. So chances are, whatever tone you're looking for, I can help you come close to it. :)

As for amp sims, to be honest, none of them have ever blown me away other than the ABG stuff. I don't know if you ever heard the demo's I did using Shred or HeadCase, but I can always post a few of them up. Some of them may be too gainy for what you're looking for which is why I'll wait to hear from you before I post up any examples of anything. But the other amp sims to me give me the artifacts that you mentioned in one of your posts up there ^....always kinda scratchy sounding to where you have to mess with removing the high end fizz from them.

As far as my weapons of choice go, I have come up with a few methods that are so close to a mic'd cab, it's rare for me to even mic my cabs anymore because the sound isn't so different that it makes me says "oh, I soo have to mic my cabs...what a difference!" With the right speaker sim or cab emulation as well as a few impulses for room type ambience, I get exactly what I need. Now for me to be totally successful with this, I need a guitar pre-amp that has great quality. 3 of the best ones I have ever used are all old ones, but man do they sound great!

1. Digitech 2101: This is what I use these days. Though this unit failed miserably years ago due to having too many options that people couldn't handle, to me it is one of the most powerful and versatile guitar pre-amps ever made. You have every sound known to man in it as well as various internal routing capabilities and voicings. 12ax7 tubes make it distinct giving you clean tube, distorted tube and saturated tube. It also has transistor voices as well and they are incredible if you like that sort of sound. The cons on this unit, it's not easy to program. You can edit stock presets super easy...but creating your own algorithms is a nightmare that will take a few weeks to get down. But once you nail it, nothing tops this pre-amp. I have a Mesa Tri-Axis here that can't touch it.

The only things that can hang with this pre-amp for distortion are my old Peavey Ultra 120 or my Mesa Dual Rectum Fryer. However, the 2101 gets a tone neither of them can get and the pich harmonics are along the lines of what EVH got on the first few albums. I've never heard anything cop those like the 2101. I use it live and in the studio for just about everything and it has one of the best speaker sim sounds of all time. There has never been a tone I couldn't cop with this thing. From blues, jazz/fusion, rock, and extreme heavy metal, I would probably stop playing if I lost my 2101's that I own. They compliment my playing and style so well, they will remain my number 1 secret weapons. I've copped Stevie Ray, Eddie Van Halen, George Lynch, Steve Stevens (and his ray gun sound) John Petrucci, Disturbed, Eric Gales, David Gilmour, Alan Holdsworth and just about anyone else you wanna throw at me with this pre-amp. Not to mention, this thing has every effect known to man built into it except for a talk box. It has dual discs so the sounds change instantly and morph from one to another without that annoying patch change glitch that sounds like a dead spot.

2. Rocktron Chameleon: The first Chameleon version is the best one. Black rack with green and white writing. I used this for years and to this day it is my back-up pre-amp of choice. Loads of killer distortion sounds and one of the best transistor distortion sounds ever. Instant patch changing, loads of speaker sim options...super easy to use. I'd say it's nearly as good as the 2101 although it's not tube and that tube pre-amp sound is important to me. But it's a close second.

3. Johnson J-Station: Remember these old things? I plugged into one of these and instantly got one of the best transistor sounds ever in a matter of seconds. Good onboard effects, nice tone voicings....healthy drive settings.

4. Another pedal that a student brought over here that really blew me away was the Roctron Utopia G100. http://www.rocktron.com/products/floorprocessors/utopiag100/

Listen to the presets if you scroll down a little. This little thing really sounded killer. Sound 5 "Rec-Fied" blew my doors off because it sounded like my main sound I use on my 2101. But the rest of the things this thing did was cool too. It's warm and quite convincing....and cheap!

So give me some sounds you may be looking for and I'll see what I can do for you. I have a few things I can add to further enhancing your amp sim situation as well. I'm not a fan of the POD believe it or not...it just doesn't do anything for me. I've tried all versions of the thing and though it's cool, it's not a sound I could see myself using. I do love and use the bass pod quite a bit though these days. Hope to hear from you soon. :)

-Danny
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/08/22 14:01:09

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 14:29:13 (permalink)
    Remember the old belt clip Tom Scholz Rocktron Danny?
    Everything ya played sounded like Boston LOL.
    Zappa liked to record with a Pignose.
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 14:36:42 (permalink)
    I've never found an amp sim I liked. The best live sound I ever had was playing through one of the first Line 6 Pods into the power amp-in of my Dean Markley CD-40 combo. Sure wish I had a way to re-create that sound. Recording-wise most of my stuff was done with the Pod or a Digitech RP-1. That was a cool Pedalboard/Preamp/FX device. Right now I'm experimenting with using my Pod and a Digitech RP-350 layered together.
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 15:09:56 (permalink)
    spacey

Remember the old belt clip Tom Scholz Rocktron Danny?
    Everything ya played sounded like Boston LOL.
    Zappa liked to record with a Pignose.

Would you believe I still have mine to this day, Space? LOL! I got the first Rockman that ever came out. It still works like a charm! It was really cool if you added some other effects with it and used it last in the chain using the "edge" setting. Man, a tube Screamer in front of that thing and it sounded killer! Hahahaha! I'm an old effects collector. I have boxes of old stuff (amps too actually) that I just felt would be cool to have. I have all the Dan Armstrong processors....remember them? They plugged right into your guitar jack. Hahaha! I have all the old original Electro Hamonix stuff too. I used to go to yard sales and search for stuff like that. :)

My Site
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 15:10:08 (permalink)

I used to use a table top POD.
    I also have tube amps.
    I've gone to recording clean/direct and using Line 6 plugins for all my git tracks.
    Convenience is the main reason, but I think they sound great.
    Most stuff I do is for publishers/music libraries and I've never once had anyone tell me my guitar sounds don't cut it.
    I don't want to get into the whole amps vs sims debate, but most people can't tell the difference, so unless your audience is guitar players it doesn't matter, IMO.

I monitor my sound with the stand alone program, then insert the same patch via the plugin.
    I love that fact that its easy to go back to old sessions and have no trouble adding new git tracks.
    Here are a few short cues with Line 6 plugins.

Track 1 
    Track 2
    Track 3
    Track 4

post edited by RLD - 2011/08/22 15:11:31
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 16:29:53 (permalink)
    timidi

You sound pretty frustrated from your past experiences with this, Tim. Forgive me for saying this, but I'd have to peacefully disagree with your comment above. The reason being, no matter how good of a player you have, no matter how good your natural finger tonation may be, no matter how great the guitar, there is nothing worse than having a tone that makes you cringe. It's uninspiring, it sounds bad, and it can make certain players not even want to play because they hate their tone so bad.

Yes, there is a certain finger print of tonality that we get from our fingers that makes an incredible difference. I've been told from many of my friends that "no matter what you plug into Danny, it always sounds like you!" Though I appreciate comments like that and am glad to have achieved a slight identity, I can tell you that if a tone doesn't float my boat, it doesn't make me sound appealing to myself. I think the right guitar rig will accentuate what a player is capable of. It's like having that soul mate, ya know? Having used many amps an effects combinations, I have failed many times even being a somewhat advanced player having played for 32 years. Some sounds just sound horrible no matter how "on" I may be. A bad tone can seriously bring you down.

A tone that doesn't feel right or respond to how you play can be a downer too. One of the problems with guitar sims that I have encountered is, they give you loads of distortion but very little true sustain. This is due to the lack of buffering in amp sims. When you plug into an amp or a dedicated guitar pre-amp, the signal is altered. There is a slight buffer going on that allows for sustain and reaction. Amp sims do not do this other than our ABG stuff which sports what we call "input gain". We can actually feedback with our stuff and get real sustain due to this option that is not available on any other amp sim.

So to me, and many others that are as locked in with tones as well as our actual playing performance, the right tone is a necessity. This is especially important for rock guitar tones where gain is what drives the sound. Clean tones and semi-dirty tones are easy with just about any amp unless you are super picky about those. But for a rock or metal sound, it's a totally different ball game because the gain can really affect how the tone is delivered. The saturation (or sometimes synthetic saturation) is extremely important as to how the tone will sound regardless of how you play and what guitar you play. You need a good balance of everything really or you're going to be left tone chasing. Tone chasing is not a bad thing if you stay focused. One of the things I have learned about it is it really taught me about sounds. The thing to be careful of is tone chasing so much to where your chops suffer and you don't get anything done. I've done too many years of that, but I'm happy because I learned so much from it.

You learn the relation of how guitar sounds interact with other sounds in a mix....you learn what will cut through a mix live, what sounds too muddy, too effected, what reacts and doesn't react...there's a whole slew of things that can be learned while doing this. But it is an extremely anal practice that is not for everyone. It's definitely something I wouldn't recommend either because it can ruin a person's desire to even create. That said, having a horrible tone can do the same thing...so it's a catch 22 really. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 16:43:40 (permalink)
    I've found it too easy to fiddle with FX until I kill the project. 
    For my last project, I recorded direct from my guitar to my Boss-G8 pedalboard, to my PC.  I spent a lot of time tweaking 4 or 5 sounds that I'll use most.  Then have a "B version" where I've simply removed Reverb or Delay.  I'll rehearse with the A version, record with the B, then add the Reverb/delay in the FX bin of the recorded track (as these should change with the mix).

I'll EQ and compress afterwards, but again that's only when I have to slightly adjust the track to fit the mix.  In the last dozen songs, I haven't had a guitar sound that was awkward enough to need to be re-recorded with the outboard gear.  I like the early comittment for the sound, it helps to keep me on track.

On the 2nd-last project I did, I shaped a half-dozen sounds in Guitar Rig, recorded dry guitar, applied the FX and then followed my current plan.  Again, i tweaked the GR sounds forever, getting them JUST right.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    guitartrek
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 16:53:15 (permalink)
    If you haven't already done this - Check out this video of Paul Reed Smith playing with GTR3 - the Waves guitar sim. 

http://www.wavesgtr.com/html/videos.html - click on The Making of GTR3

The sounds on this video are absolutely amazing.  You'll see that Paul Reed Smith was blown away that it wasn't a real amp.  I bought the software and installed it, and played around.  It didn't sound appreciably better than my current amp sims.  Or at least I couldn't get it to sound better.  This convinced me there's more to it - there is the guitar itself, the eq, how you play the guitar, the engineering knowledge and the settings.

If you listen to the engineer talk, he makes a compelling case in pro studios about the efficiency of getting different tones using the amp sims verses hauling up amps and placing the mics.  Time is expensive in studios.  Of course a lot of us are home recording artists and we already know our equipment so that may not be as much of a factor.

I'd love to have a bunch of real tube amps and mikes.  They are funner to play through than a computer - and they sound better. 
    post edited by guitartrek - 2011/08/22 17:03:42
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 17:59:55 (permalink)
    G, ya see what he talks about in that vid about the little black box? This is the missing link for amp sims. If you don't have something like this, all guitar amp sims will be lacking. I've managed to get around this by using direct boxes with a slight compressor or a bit of coloration to compensate. One of the best methods I've come up with is to use my 2101 in bypass mode using the XLR outs with a hardware compressor directly on the channel. I've also had good results using a direct box with a Boss Compressor Sustainer with the gain all the way off, the level as hot as I could make it without audible hiss. A Tube Screamer can do well in that position also. Gain all the way off, level all the way up...tone control to taste. But I always run a little compressor in line to keep the signal nice and consistent. Nothing major..1:5 ratio no more than -10dB threshold...it works incredibly well.

I have that Waves pack here actually. It's a pretty cool suite...however, for insane rock/metal, it falls way short. For mild drive, blues, cleans, jazz, it's a great plug suite. Not to sound biased, but my heart still belongs to the ABG stuff as I just feel it has everything anyone could ever want out of a software amp. :)

-Danny

My Site
    timidi
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 18:05:21 (permalink)
    timidi Seriously Rain, None of that stuff matters. It's a guitar. It will sound like what it sounds like. A guitar.. I left overobsessing about the right tone a long time ago. The tone is in your fingers, not the processing. The prcessing may dictate how your fingers respond so that is definately an issue. However, Just dial something in and go for it. After all, it's all about the song anyway.  You sound pretty frustrated from your past experiences with this, Tim.

Yea Danny. I was a little over the top on that comment. I agree. 
    I think it's that it's based on where a person is coming from. And, for 99% of the time, I'm coming from the point of view that 'the song' is what it is all about. The guitar tone is not even a secondary consideration, the guitar part is. That's sort of where I was coming from in that post. You're also probably right in that my attitude could stem from frustrations. I just sort of work with what I got and move on. Maybe it's the "what I got" part that frustrates me. Mostly a slow computer that's very hard to deal with using real time monitoring with guit rig or something. And, I'm too lazy to actually mic an amp which to my ears is the best way to go usually for 'sound'. But the inconvenience of it all is just too big a deal for me.

A lot of folks are just the opposite in that THE GUITAR is what it's all about. One thing you did point out is the lack of sustain with the amp sims etc. That one does drive me bonkers:) And yes, I don't do too much (any) heavy metal or heavy rock stuff and clean is definately easier.

I guess though, the bottom line is, I too would like better tone......
    I'm just babbling........

This is a great thread.

Sidroe
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1954
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 18:06:14 (permalink)
    I am working on a project now with a guy that has been a diehard Tele and Twin guy his whole life. We cut some tracks with his rig. I split his signal with a direct box and got just the dry signal straight off of the Tele. After a few tracks were cut I introduced him to GR3 and 4, Amplitube 3, and Shred from Acme Bar Gig. We went back and forth between his real twin and the sims. He finally admitted that Shred with the Quarter head set for clean and the cab simulator blew his Twin tone away. Now, he won't use anything in the studio but that setup. Now, I am a guitarist myself and I know we could sit and argue the aspects of the perfect tone or guitar or rig. I am finding more and more these days that simulations are becoming more acceptable. They do make the job so easy. You also have to accept the fact that the tone you struggled so long and hard to get is buried by the time you throw Drums, Keys, Bass, Horns, Strings, 4 vox tracks, and 4 background singers on top of it. Something to take into account anyway.  

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 18:27:40 (permalink)
    timidi

timidi Seriously Rain, None of that stuff matters. It's a guitar. It will sound like what it sounds like. A guitar.. I left overobsessing about the right tone a long time ago. The tone is in your fingers, not the processing. The prcessing may dictate how your fingers respond so that is definately an issue. However, Just dial something in and go for it. After all, it's all about the song anyway.  You sound pretty frustrated from your past experiences with this, Tim.

Yea Danny. I was a little over the top on that comment. I agree. 
    I think it's that it's based on where a person is coming from. And, for 99% of the time, I'm coming from the point of view that 'the song' is what it is all about. The guitar tone is not even a secondary consideration, the guitar part is. That's sort of where I was coming from in that post. You're also probably right in that my attitude could stem from frustrations. I just sort of work with what I got and move on. Maybe it's the "what I got" part that frustrates me. Mostly a slow computer that's very hard to deal with using real time monitoring with guit rig or something. And, I'm too lazy to actually mic an amp which to my ears is the best way to go usually for 'sound'. But the inconvenience of it all is just too big a deal for me.

A lot of folks are just the opposite in that THE GUITAR is what it's all about. One thing you did point out is the lack of sustain with the amp sims etc. That one does drive me bonkers:) And yes, I don't do too much (any) heavy metal or heavy rock stuff and clean is definately easier.

I guess though, the bottom line is, I too would like better tone......
    I'm just babbling........

This is a great thread.

Totally understand ya there Tim. I'm just glad you didn't take what I said the wrong way. :) I agree with the guitar part being the most important for the song. The other side of the coin is, if the tone is bad it can really take away from the impact of the song depending on how much that guitar is needed. For example, someone posted a song up on the song forum that wasn't down with the guitar part in the song. I totally agree with his assessment on that. The way this particular guitar was used....with the right sound could have brought the tune over the top. But again, this is still subjective because the song itself was really well done in all other aspects. But a better recorded guitar there would have definitely gave it the impact that was missing.

As far as your tones, if you ever need an extra set of ears or any help, send me a message. Maybe we can tweak something up for you that will work all the time so you're not messing with stuff all the time. I've done so much work on this now that I have all my stuff ready to go for certain sounds. My hardware pre's for some things, the ABG stuff for others, a few other amp sims that I've tested with good results...the list goes on and on. But if we can grab something that may have the characteristics of something you may love, maybe we can build on it.

Yeah a slow pc may be tough especially with these sims. Then again, I've done most of my testing with good results on an old box running Win XP with a 900mhz processor and 512 RAM. I do that purposely for the ABG testing and development because we want to see how bad it beats up on slower systems. Even on that slow dog system I use for testing, I have no issues as long as I use ASIO4ALL drivers on it. I'm limited to the amount of plugs I can run at once without freezing of course, but I've had no problems running our ABG Shred and HeadCase plugs in it. Surely your system has more powe than that dinosaur I'm using. LOL! If so, send me a message sometime and we can talk about it if you want and I can maybe set you up with some good starting points etc. I might even be able to slip you in a beta of one of our ABG plugs if you're interested. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Rain
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 20:46:24 (permalink)
    And I'm back. Just read all of you guys post and preparing to listen to some of your stuff again, so I'll probably keep on sharing a few thoughts and maybe asking questions in the evening.

I'm  glad to see this evolve into a discussion where people chime in with an open mind, a will to share experiences and ideas in regards to what works and what doesn't, considerations about the signal path and all of that. As problematic as the issue can be at times, it's also very inspiring in a way, at least, imho. It forces me to rethink things, to try things.

I've seen the ABG stuff mentioned - I've played with it a bit last year, but since my portable rig is Mac based, unfortunately, I have to try different options.

So far, the most satisfying compromise I have found was to use an Amp Sim to track - preferably Waves GTR because it's a bit lighter on the cpu - and sculpt the sound with impulses afterwards. My latest best approximation of a sound I can live with is to use two busses, one for the actual cabinet and one with a room impulse.

At the moment, I'm still messing with free/donation-ware impulses (namely Redwirez and God's Cab), but in terms of direction, this seems to be what I'll end up heading for - I'll probably keep on testing before I spend more cash on that stuff. I've tried a few others, but these seems to be the best free ones for me.

Danni - funny you mention the 2101 as I remember checkin' that unit a while back. As light as I'm trying to keep my set-up, re-introducing hardware has crossed my mind a few times in the last few weeks. As for novels, go on my friend - I literally live for that stuff.

After spending 3 or 4 hours a night a couple of times a week studying what it was  that seemed to work better with impulses, the idea (an it's not an educated/engineer idea, but just an impression) that, for lack of a better word, it has to do with the density of the sound. 

Engineers and mathematicians could probably demonstrate how wrong I am about this, but amp sims seem to be replicating the eq curve resulting of a sound having travelled through a speaker, without much dynamic alteration and with an even energy all across the spectrum -  whereas a speaker cabinet seems to compress certain ranges of frequencies, to push them down or up the spectrum, to redistribute the energy resulting in something less accurate but more pleasant. This is most likely not the case, but as a guitar player, that's the result I hear. 

So that's where I'm at right now - I might try to add some hardware to the equation, to get more of that tightening factor before the sound actually reaches the converters.

I'll also try and find examples of sounds that may be close to what I'm trying to achieve. Overall, I'd say modern Zeppelin. Doesn't help narrowing it down, does it? lol

If you've ever heard the first few albums by a band called The Tea Party, they were particularly good at "quoting" Zep and nailing down those tones and giving them a bit more of a modern edge. Soundgarden. Maybe a bit of Alice in Chains in terms of a tiny bit less organic more defined heavier tones. 

guitartrek
    Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 20:56:38 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi

I have that Waves pack here actually. It's a pretty cool suite...however, for insane rock/metal, it falls way short. For mild drive, blues, cleans, jazz, it's a great plug suite. Not to sound biased, but my heart still belongs to the ABG stuff as I just feel it has everything anyone could ever want out of a software amp. :)

-Danny
    Yeah - I couldn't find any really cool hi gain stuff on the Waves GTR3, or at least nothing better than what I was using. 

I did like ABG - I installed on my old 32bit system.  But when I switched to 64bit I never installed it.  I wanted to download a new version, but I didn't know where to grap it.  As I remember it sounded pretty organic - tubes to me.  Really good push/pull valve feel to it - better than the other sims I've tried.  I wonder if that's that "input gain" you're talking about?  Your demos of ABG are truly amazing.

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1