Author
TremoJem
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 479
2015/05/30 10:19:33 (permalink)

How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer

Please help.

I can't figure this out, thanks.

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

Most importantly...not enough time.

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 10:31:03 (permalink)
I am not sure that you can load any sounds into DR, but you can drag a DR'd clip (ctrl/shift drag) into a MIDI clip and will give the MIDI notes by module. The associated notes are in the right of each module. That MIDI track can then be used to feed an AD2 (or any VSTi) instance.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
maximumpower
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 731
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 10:37:29 (permalink)
TremoJem
Please help.

I can't figure this out, thanks.

That is a good question as I wanted to try that myself.

I am guessing that the AD2 samples are not in a place where you can easily get to them.

I haven't tried it yet, but, looking at the videos on Drum Replacer, I would try creating a simple "loop" with AD2, using the drums you want. On the track that has the drums you want to convert, use region fx to convert to a DR track. Highlight the sample from the AD2 track (you probably have to bounce it first) and drag it into the waveform window in the DR track.

I am probably missing some steps but that is how it looked to me in the demo video.

I am going to go give it a try. I will report back in a few...

Win 10 (64 bit), i7-2600k 3.4GHz , 8 GB RAM, SATA III (500GB SSD - System, 2TB WD Black - Data), Sonar Platinum x64, m-audio Profire 610

maximumpower
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 10:56:58 (permalink)
That worked! lol

1) I loaded up a project that had drums (in this case I used the Sonar mixing tutorial)
2) Add an instance of AD2 (chose a kit)
3) I used the step sequencer to generate some kick hits
4) In the track view I selected tracks->Bound to Tracks...
5) I highlighted the kick I wanted
6) Right clicked the selection and chose split
7) Selected the kick track (from the mixing tutorial) and region fx->Drum Replacer
8) I selected the sample I split (from step 6) and dragged it into the Drum Replacer wave window

That's it! I was able to mix in a kick from AD2 (Fairfax vol 1) into the mixing tutorial kick drum track.

This tool really is amazing.

Good luck!

Win 10 (64 bit), i7-2600k 3.4GHz , 8 GB RAM, SATA III (500GB SSD - System, 2TB WD Black - Data), Sonar Platinum x64, m-audio Profire 610

Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 11:24:53 (permalink)
I was going to suggest what maxpower said.

To take it even further you could program a MIDI clip so it plays incremental velocities of specific notes (say a kick or snare from lowest velocity to highest velocity... remember most sample banks won't use all 127 velocities. Some will have a dozen samples while better banks will have more)). Then when you playback/bounce you would get the various strength hits of all the samples in wav format which you could then use to program an sfz file. The sfz file then, in theory, could be loaded into the Drum Replacer and would respond to the transient volume (so louder transients would trigger the louder samples and quiter ones the quiter samples).

That is pure speculation based on what I have read/seen so far but I THINK that would work.

Cheers.

PS: Resampling samples like that may or may not be technically illegal depending on the license agreement for the sample bank/software. I think it's usually okay as long as you aren't trying to sell the results of such sample "hacks". Kind of a strange area of intellectual property law that I don't fully understand but worth considering.
post edited by Beepster - 2015/05/30 11:34:52
maximumpower
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 11:29:53 (permalink)
I read in the help about Drum Replacer Dynamics: "Drum Replacer automatically tracks the incoming drum hits and adjusts the volume of the replacement samples according to the volume of the original hits".

This makes it sound like you get scaled velocities by default. Oh, but you wouldn't get the true dynamics that might be stored in the sample file. OK. I think I understand.

Beepster
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 11:35:35 (permalink)
maximumpower
I read in the help about Drum Replacer Dynamics: "Drum Replacer automatically tracks the incoming drum hits and adjusts the volume of the replacement samples according to the volume of the original hits".

This makes it sound like you get scaled velocities by default. Oh, but you wouldn't get the true dynamics that might be stored in the sample file. OK. I think I understand.

Yeah, if you only load one sample that is the only sample accessible for playback whereas with something like an sfz you program the file to point to various samples and they get triggered based on the data being sent by whatever is acting as the triggering prgram/device.... or something like that.

It is cool they allowed for sfz type shenangians. As a n00b in that regards though (I have never programmed such files but supposedly relatively it's easy) might have been cool to have an extra option in the sample loader to deal with that for us. Like you get a dialog/window where you can drag multiple wavs into then assign what velocity/decibel ranges the DR will trigger each sample at. Maybe it can grow into having that type of functionality. To me though it is a good excuse to learn how to write my own sfz thingies (or whatever it uses).

Cheers.
maximumpower
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 11:50:31 (permalink)
Well looky here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr08/articles/sonartech_0408.htm

The title even says "... Don't panic: it's easier than you might think..."

TremoJem
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 12:24:45 (permalink)
Still confused, but will keep digging.

Here is an observation.

Why does the time bar in the DR not line up with the track time bar.

In other words, as the the kick is being heard and seen in track view they are aligned or in time with each other.

This is not the case with DR, as it passes over transients long after or before my time bar in the track view.

This results in me not being able to tell what transient in DR is actually what I see and hear in the track view.

I hope I have explained this correctly, but it seems they should both be aligned or timed exactly the same.

So if the first kick transient in the track view is heard and seen in the track view time bar, the first kick transient in DR should be exactly the same with it's time bar.

Geez, I feel like an idiot.

Anyway, I am still confused on the other issue of actually dragging a kick sample from AD2 into the wave window of DR, but will work on this based on your successes, thanks.

I guess it is worth noting that I have never used samples, loops, midi or anything like this.

I just track live guitar, bass and drums and then mix and master for my own fun. This is with my band that writes all instrumental prog/rock...in our basement/garage. Just for fun.

So this is completely out of my league, but when I started all this...Sonar 7PE was out of my league and I am learning slowly but surely...I guess.

So basically, if there was an online website that required a small fee, but in return, had a DR for Dummies and held my hand thru the process...I would subscribe...then I would not have to bother you. In fact for everything Sonar, Studio, etc., this type of website would be making some serious money. I could learn at my own speed...all the things like midi, synths, sfz (that is a totally new one LOL), real important stuff that is way over my head...I really only use about 50% of SPlat (Sonar 7PE and up thru all my upgrades over the years) because I don't have the time. Full time job, family, house, guitar player/song writer, etc...hell I have a brand new Roland A-800Pro that I have not even hooked up yet...as that would take an enormous amount of time to learn, along with ACT. So please forgive me for my shortcomings.
post edited by TremoJem - 2015/05/30 12:54:55

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Beepster
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 13:07:48 (permalink)
Well I've got a simple answer to at least one of your questions which is really the main one. The reason why you can't just drag the AD2 sample into DR is because it is not in a format that can be read and played by it. Now I'm not sure exactly the details on this but AD2 samples are in their own format and can only be used in AD2. This is true of many samples for specific virtual instruments.

I am not a programming so maybe those samples exist somewhere as waves on your system but I do not think so. They can only be retrieved and played back by AD2. That's why we're saying you can play those back using AD2, then bounce THEN create your own sample of the resulting audio. That file can be loaded into the Drum Replacer because it will be a wave file.

That crap I was talking about in regards to sfz... well that's more confusing but that is essentially a mini set of instructions that can tell a program like drum replacer or session drum (any instrument program designed to read and playback sfz files) to retrieve and play a specific audio file based on the data recieved.

So you've got 12 wave files of a snare going from quiet to loud. You have those waves stored in a specific palce on your computer. The sfz file is merely a text document that tells session drummer or Drum Replacer to retreive the appropriate file from that spot on your computer when it receives a specific message from the virtual instrument.

So instrument (like Session Drummer or DR) receives a velocity message of 1-20 from your MIDI clip or you MIDI controller, it looks at the sfz file and sees that it should play Sample 1 so it looks for, retreives and plays that specific wave file. If it receives a velocity signal of 21-30 it will look for and play that file... etc.

That is likely a very VERY bastardized description of what is going on but it's the general premise as far as I understand it. I'm am not a programmer and I am only just starting to understand this stuff myself.

Cheers.
arachnaut
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1168
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 14:01:55 (permalink)
I made some sfz file that I loaded into DR.
You can see what I did here:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3229782

I use a programmable editor called UltraEdit with a custom file format set up for SFZ files.
That allows syntax highlighting of the op-codes.

I am by no means an SFZ expert, and I don't know how much of the spec is implemented in DR (or Rapture Pro for that matter). I do know that the velocity sample mapping works very well.

I just grab some SFZ file that looks similar to what I want and edit it for my purposes.

- Jim Hurley -
SONAR Platinum - x64  - Windows 10 Pro 
ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0;  Core i7-2600K@4.4GHz; 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X;
GeForce GT 740; Saffire Pro14 MixControl 3.7; Axiom 61
64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
maximumpower
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 14:05:50 (permalink)
TremoJem, I would make a video and upload it to show you what I did but I can't get a screen capture utility that will capture sound to work. 

If I can get one to work I will make a video. Otherwise, hopefully someone else can do it for you.

Sorry I am not being of more help

TremoJem
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 15:18:54 (permalink)
Thank you all.

So how do I drag the DR into a track, as it suggests.

I am reading the literature available locally on my system, by clicking the Getting Started link and searching for DR.

It say a bunch of stuff about synth tracks, midi, input/output settings and the likes.

I am just going to have to learn how to do this...and then I should be able to get this to work for me.

Basically I want the option to be able to replace/mix all 14 drums in my brothers kit.

We record his Masterworks Pearl set live in a room without any other instruments, using close mics and two overheads, and maybe soon enough, adding to room mics.

But we don't have a professional recording room with professional acoustical treatments or any $4000 mics etc...you get the picture.

So, I work really hard to isolate and mix the set so it sounds good, but I am not a professional mixing engineer...you get the picture.

So, it would be nice to use DR for this.

I tried my hand at using (it escapes me now, what the real term or name for the function is) the tool for making transients and then making a midi track out of those transients and then assigning a drum sample to it, but it did not take too easily and it seemed faster to just continue on the path of using the acoustic set instead.

So, I got really excited about DR, as I thought it kinda did this for me and just let me select a track, make some adjustments and then assign a drum sample and I would be on my way.

I will keep working on it. Thanks

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

TremoJem
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 15:42:31 (permalink)
Audiosnap is what I was referring to.

I just watched a video on CakeTV...I might have to dive into this again, as it seems easier to me now that I have tried to work on DR.

The more you do the easier it gets. When you struggle with many things, but keep your nose in it, you may start to put some things together.

The more things you put together makes it an easier road to travel for even more things...not sure I articulated that correctly, but as I expose myself to more things and fail or succeed at them, they in some small way contribute to both the future failures and successes and in this case hopefully more successes and less failures.

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Beepster
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 16:24:27 (permalink)
DR is new so limited documentation on it so far.

However I just wanted to point to this REALLY helpful vid about DR and sfz's that Bill Jackson just posted in the DR thread.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3230405

Might help you, might add to the confusion but it's still cool and educational.
SMcNamara
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 142
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 16:25:42 (permalink)
TremoJem

Jim:

Coincidence that I read your comment just as I was about to add a comment about unzipping my old Purrfect Drums disks and trying to use them as files for Drum Replacer.  The sounds on those original disks are fantastic -- do you think it can work?

Steve

Sonar Platinum | Windows 10 64-bit | 8 cores | 16GB Ram | Focusrite Scarlett 2nd generation 18i20 interface | too many guitars, way too much software  | Presonus Eris 8 Monitors (thinking about a Presonus T8 sub!) 
TremoJem
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 17:18:35 (permalink)
Cool, I will check it out, thanks Beepster.

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

maximumpower
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/30 21:28:12 (permalink)
Sorry. We lost power at our house and it just now came back on.

I watched Bill's video (which is pretty awesome) but I think it leaves out a step you were wanting and that is to get a sample from AD2?

I am sure there are better ways to do it but the way I did it was to insert an instance of AD2, created some drum hits on the drum I wanted to sample (I.E. kick). I converted the AD2 track by bouncing it to an audio track. Once you do that, you can do what Bill did to to grab the sample and use it within DR.

I was able to finally get a video made. However, I realized during this process that demos and voice overs are not my calling lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foeAe3AoHXA
post edited by maximumpower - 2015/05/30 22:28:49

Bill Jackson [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 519
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/31 00:59:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby studio.klangkombinat 2015/06/02 09:08:06
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Quick tip: rather than bouncing to track or recording the output of the synth, you can click the Freeze button (right on the track near Mute/Solo). That'll create an audio clip in-place, and you can grab the samples out of that.

Bill Jackson
Product Manager
Cakewalk

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/31 08:09:55 (permalink)
AD2 also provides a wav recorder internally (lower left corner) that records the last 15s of play in the engine. You can drag and drop files from that but they all have the same name (so be careful pulling samples too rapidly, as each will need to be renamed before you can pull the next).
post edited by mettelus - 2015/05/31 10:26:17

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
maximumpower
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/31 09:06:32 (permalink)
This just keeps getting easier :-)

Thanks

TremoJem
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/31 11:26:32 (permalink)
Thanks maximumpower...you must live in the NE...as we are getting slammed with TStorms.

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

TremoJem
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/31 12:02:41 (permalink)
Well, I followed the good advise of Mettelus and it worked.

I opened AD2.

Selected a kick drum.

Dragged the wave file into the DR.

I closed AD2.

I started the track with the kick solo'd.

I mixed it to 100%.

The odd and troubling thing is that within five seconds DR started playing random kicks, to the point where it was like popcorn popping.

I changed the mix to 0% and my original kick is there and correct.

Change back to 100% and popcorn.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Bill Jackson [Cakewalk]
Administrator
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/31 12:15:24 (permalink)
"Interval" control is too low?

Bill Jackson
Product Manager
Cakewalk

rodreb
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 915
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/31 12:25:37 (permalink)
TremoJem: I just read your post and, it sounds like we are both in the same boat. I am having a really difficult time wrapping my head around all this stuff. I mean I've been recording for years but, have just never dealt with this type of stuff before. Hopefully there will eventually be a simple conversion or plugin hosting tool (like Drumagog does) available. Gotta dummy proof it for me Ha ha!!

ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording 
https://www.facebook.com/ifrecording?skip_nax_wizard=true

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

TremoJem
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/31 12:45:47 (permalink)
I tried adjusting everything, including the interval.

No worky.

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

TremoJem
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/31 12:50:55 (permalink)
Rodreb...yes it sucks.

I wish this was all I did.

I mean really...I just sat down to try the Audiosnap feature, after DR failed...why waist time, right, and so I am looking to work on the snare.

I thought to myself that Audiosnap looked really easy, after watching the video.

So I bring up AD2 and even thought I just confirmed my three Kitpiece Paks are installed, I can't find them.

I installed three different snares and I can't find them anywhere.

So, now I will at least try to work with the track and Audiosnap to get the midi conversion done.

Oh, and on the video he speaks to knowing the midi channel of the drum he wants to assign...how the heck do I find that?

LOL

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Bill Jackson [Cakewalk]
Administrator
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/31 12:52:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Keni 2015/06/11 11:29:19
I just hacked together a little tool that automates the process a bit. I'll share a link. But a big disclaimer: this is not an officially sanctioned Cakewalk utility. It's an unofficially unsanctioned, might break your computer, no guarantees, no promises, batteries not included, Bill Jackson personal hack job. Proceed at your own risk and with caution.

Now that inviting preamble is out of the way:
https://www.dropbox.com/s.../CwDrSfzMaker.zip?dl=0

This utility should simplify the process of sampling drum synths for use with Cakewalk Drum Replacer.
It digests a string of hits in a 24bit wave file and installs them to the Drum Replacer content locations
in the correct format. 32 velocity levels are saved in the multisample. The source file should have 32 hits,
crescendoing, separated by exactly 2 seconds each. Included is a SONAR project that can serve as a template.

Steps:

1. Open included project: "DrumSamplerTemplate.cwp"
2. Insert the drum instrument of your choice and choose the kit you'd like to sample
3. Adjust the repeating MIDI note to play the kit piece that you want
4. Export a 24bit wave

5. Open the CwDrSfzMaker.exe utility
6. Type in a name for your sample
7. Specify a type
8. Click "Browse..." and locate the file you exported in step 4
9. Click "Make It"

At this point, you can instantiate Drum Replacer, navigate to the "User" section in the sample list, and locate your new content.

I hope I'm not just confusing things further :-\.
post edited by Bill Jackson [Cakewalk] - 2015/05/31 13:46:29

Bill Jackson
Product Manager
Cakewalk

maximumpower
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/31 15:13:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby thornton 2015/05/31 18:19:17
Bill,
    Thank you for doing this!!!

A few things as I went through this process. I know this is not supported Cakewalk software but I thought I would share my experience in case it has any value to anyone.

- When I loaded the template, it asked me if I wanted to create c:\users\bjackson. I clicked no
- TTS1 is in the template and unless I delete it, I could not find a way to map the midi track to AD2 (even though I inserted AD2)
- When I deleted the TTS1 synth, it created (automatically) a new track called TTS1. I just deleted it
- I added AD2 and mapped your track (from the template) to AD2. Is there a better way to do this?
- Sonar crashed each time when trying to load a new project (I was loading the mixing tutorial to tryout the new kicks). This is after I followed your steps for creating the sample file. I had to turn off my interface so Sonar would unload completely
- I had to try this several times as the 1st time, the exported wave file just sounded like white noise. The 2nd time, there was no sound.
- Sonar crashed on the third try after loading your template. If it makes a difference, that time I did not browse to a directory when the template asked me for a wavedata location
- On the 4th attempt, I did choose a wavedata location (like I did the 1st two times). After creating the wave file and loading the mixing tutorial, Sonar crashed. Hey, at least it is repeatable. :-)
- It worked on the 4th attempt. I think the reason I got white noise the first time is that I messed with export settings. I had changed the sample rate to 48K. This time, I left everything alone. Now I have a new kick sample to choose from!!!

Again, thank you for taking the time to do this. This is some really cool stuff!!!

Beepster
Re: How To Load A Kick Sample From Addictive Drums To Drum Replacer 2015/05/31 15:20:24 (permalink)
The Maartian pointed out a cool trick using AD2's little autp sample thingie...

See here...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3230992

and here...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3231002

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1