How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)?

Author
zoffmeister
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 183
2014/04/23 11:03:02 (permalink)

How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)?

I know SONAR X3's Mackie Control implementation is terrible, so I was wondering if I could use ACT to help me control the new QuadCurve EQ in the ProChannel. I want to assign the pots on my Mackie Control to the parameters of the QuadCurve. It should just work without ACT, but I know it doesn't because Cakewalk have messed up here. 

Surely i should be able then to have the QuadCurve ACT learn my Mackie Control pots. But it isn't doing. I select Mackie Control from the dropdown in the ACT panel of the Control bar. I open the Quadcurve and press the ACT learn button in the control bar. I click a control in the QuadCurve, then with the EQ light on on my Mackie Control I move one of my pots. Absolutely nothing happens. It learns nothing. What am I doing wrong here? Or is even this workaround not possible?

SONAR Platinum 1607, Windows 10 Pro, i7 6700K 16GB Ram 3.4Ghz
256GB SSD C: Drive, 525GB SSD VI's, 2TB Audio Drive

Interface: UA Apollo Firewire, UAD2 Quad PCIe
Mackie Control, C4 and two extenders. 
Studiologic SL990 Pro keyboard controller

15 Replies Related Threads

markyzno
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1216
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/23 11:31:29 (permalink)
    Have you tried the remote control and learn function?

Sonar Platinum 64 bit > Pro tools 10.3.2 >Intel i7 3770K > 16Gb Ram > Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB > ATi RADEON HD5700 > 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD> Win 10 home 64 bit> Delta 1010 > MOTU Audio Express > MA-15D's > NI Ultimate 9 > NI Kontrol S61 1.1 > NI MAschine Studio 2.3 / KORG MS-20 Mini - Arturia MicroBrute > KORG SQ1 - KORG Kaoss Pad KP3 > iPad and IO Dock 2 running various bits > Bunch of guitars >

Sound Design on IMDB --

zoffmeister
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/23 12:17:34 (permalink)
    What do you mean? My Mackie Control works fine except it won't control the ProChannel modules - only the top one. Is pressing the ACT Learn button not what I'm doing. Are you talking of some other method?

markyzno
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/23 13:04:26 (permalink)
    if its connected via MIDI then you can right click on a Pro Channel function (like an EQ button) then hit remote control, then hit learn then your controller will control it.

I have set up my Digital desk to control most of consoles functions including the Pro Channel.

Not sure if this helps you.

Sonar Platinum 64 bit > Pro tools 10.3.2 >Intel i7 3770K > 16Gb Ram > Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB > ATi RADEON HD5700 > 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD> Win 10 home 64 bit> Delta 1010 > MOTU Audio Express > MA-15D's > NI Ultimate 9 > NI Kontrol S61 1.1 > NI MAschine Studio 2.3 / KORG MS-20 Mini - Arturia MicroBrute > KORG SQ1 - KORG Kaoss Pad KP3 > iPad and IO Dock 2 running various bits > Bunch of guitars >

Sound Design on IMDB --

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/23 21:15:48 (permalink)
    I have a video in my signature of me setting up a controller using Act.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    zoffmeister
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/24 05:50:16 (permalink)
    Hi Markyzno. I had never heard of Remote Control. However, I have tried it and nothing happens. I use the Learn function but when I press a button on my Mackie Control nothing happens. I notice in the Remote Control dialog there is no option to tell it which Midi port to be listening to. 

I assume I cannot use ACT with my Mackie Control. I looked in the Preferences-Control Surfaces dialog box where you set the Midi In Out ports. There are two further columns with check boxes. The WAI boxes are checked, but I cannot put a check in the ACT box.

So how do I get the Remote Control Learn to receive messages from my Mackie Control? Does the Mackie Control protocol prevent me from using it as a standard midi device?

zoffmeister
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/24 06:15:46 (permalink)
    Hi. In the Control Surfaces dialog I have added a new device. I selected the Midi input from my Mackie Control (MC) but selected ACT controller. So now my MC midi input is specified twice in the list. Once as ACT controller and once as Mackie Control. 

Now when I do a Remote Control Learn it does recognise me moving a knob on my MC. However, it is not responding correctly. As you know the pots on the Mackie Control (MC) are continuous rotary knobs, i.e. they don't have an all the way up and all the way down value. I assume therefore they are not sending 0-127 but rather just up and down messages. 
    In the Remote Control Learn dialog I select Controller and the box then shows a value of 17 which I assume is therefore the controller number for the particular pot I have moved. Great so far. However, now when I come to use this function it isn't working like an incremental up and down. I am in the QuadCurve EQ. I want my MC pot to control the frequency knob for the low band. But when I turn the pot on my MC the actual knob on the QuadCurv alternates between it's 12 o'clock position and it's all the way down position. What am I doing wrong?

gswitz
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/24 07:14:15 (permalink)
    Sounds like it's flipping like it's an on/off value. I'm not sure how to fix it. I think it's like if you mapped a keyboard pedal to the EQ. Press the pedal and it goes on and the value changes completely. Unpress and it goes back.

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    markyzno
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/24 09:03:28 (permalink)
    zoffmeister
    Hi. In the Control Surfaces dialog I have added a new device. I selected the Midi input from my Mackie Control (MC) but selected ACT controller. So now my MC midi input is specified twice in the list. Once as ACT controller and once as Mackie Control. 

Now when I do a Remote Control Learn it does recognise me moving a knob on my MC. However, it is not responding correctly. As you know the pots on the Mackie Control (MC) are continuous rotary knobs, i.e. they don't have an all the way up and all the way down value. I assume therefore they are not sending 0-127 but rather just up and down messages. 
    In the Remote Control Learn dialog I select Controller and the box then shows a value of 17 which I assume is therefore the controller number for the particular pot I have moved. Great so far. However, now when I come to use this function it isn't working like an incremental up and down. I am in the QuadCurve EQ. I want my MC pot to control the frequency knob for the low band. But when I turn the pot on my MC the actual knob on the QuadCurv alternates between it's 12 o'clock position and it's all the way down position. What am I doing wrong?

Thats weird....Just to confirm, in the remote control dialogue you have the "controller" option ticked? Also have you set the MC on the correct midi channel etc etc? Also does the MC have any midi options as it does sound that its sending note on / note off commands rather than 0-127.

I just tested the Pro Channel again with my Pro One and it works fine.

Sound Design on IMDB --

gswitz
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/24 14:07:04 (permalink)
    Some controllers have a touched response. Like nob touched or not touched prior to the value from the nob. What if you hold it before you begin assignment?

zoffmeister
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/24 20:09:28 (permalink)
    I noticed there's yet another way. Set it not as ACT controller, but Cakewalk Generic Surface. In that panel there seems to be an option for saying what kind of control each parameter should be, i.e. Note On, Controller, Incremental, etc. However this doesn't seem to respond to my MC at all. Also it only allows you to assign 16 parameters per plugin. The QuadCurve has about 26 knobs and switches. I'm trying everything I can think of. Almost ready to give up. 

My only option it seems at the moment is put the QuadCurve at the top of the ProChannel chain. The top module is the only one the Mackie Control can control at the mo since Cakewalk forgot to update the Mackie Control implementation.

thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/24 22:24:01 (permalink)
    Hi zoffmeister:

I looked at the User Manual for the MCU Pro and there seems to be no way to manually assign Standard MIDI CC Numbers to the controllers. The Cakewalk Generic Surface plug in and the ACT MIDI Controller plug in works great for controlling SONAR's track and plug in parameters, if Standard MIDI CC numbers can be assigned to controllers on your control surface.

If it is the case that Standard MIDI CC numbers can't be assigned to controllers on the MCU Pro, that is disasterous. I see that Mackie seems to be depending on a DAW software to support the MCU protocol, but I think it's lame that such expensive gear as the MCU Pro doesn't have the ability to assign Standard MIDI CC numbers to it's controllers. SONAR is reported to be lacking in efficiency as far as support for the MCU protocol goes. Really, it's not the DAW software responsibility to support the protocol of another company. It can get more users to use the DAW software, if a DAW supports a user's hardware, such as MCU protocol capable hardware, but it's not the DAW software responsibility. I always wanted to get a MCU Pro, but, now, I will no way get one because of this lack of functionality. I would be very upset with Mackie for not having the MCU Pro support the assignment of Standard MIDI CC number to it's controllers, if I had a MCU Pro. This ability is something all MIDI gear should have. I feel for you, and I'm sorry you're unable to get success with your MCU protocol gear efficiently controlling SONAR's track and plug in parameters.

I have a Keystation Pro 88 which has the ability to assign any of it's controllers to Standard MIDI CC numbers. I use the Keystation Pro 88 with ACT, the Cakewalk Generic Surface plug in and the ACT MIDI Controller plug in to control SONAR parameters for tracks and plug ins. I was wondering if you're using the Keystation without problems to control SONAR parameters, because I am using the knobs, sliders and buttons on the Keystation Pro to control SONAR's track and plug in parameters with great results, including the ProChannel EQ (using 16 knobs on the Keystation to control the Prochannel EQ parameters).
    post edited by thomasabarnes - 2014/04/25 07:48:03

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    zoffmeister
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/25 06:31:41 (permalink)
    Hi Thomas. I have never used any of the knobs and sliders on my Keystation Pro simply because I have Mackie Control and two Extenders. The MC works great for all track and transport type stuff. It's just the plugin implementation that was lost when Sonar went to X1, 2. 

thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/25 07:45:30 (permalink)
    OK I see.

Still, it's a bummer you can't manually assign Standard MIDI CC numbers to the controllers on the MCU Pro. If you could you could use the Cakewalk Generic Surface and/or the ACT MIDI controller to control the plug in parameters, including those of the ProChannel modules.

If that Keystation is gonna stay in front of you like it is on your avatar pic, you might wanna consider using the knobs, sliders, and buttons on it to control plug in parameters. When you setup the Keystation to use the Cakewalk Generic Surface, ACT will be available so that the knobs, sliders, and buttons can be used to control parameters for whatever plug in has the focus. And when you use ACT to assign the controllers on the Keystation, SONAR will remember the assignments and use them for any instances of the plug in, in any project. That probably could come in handy for you. It's just a thought I figured I'd mention.

In case you hadn't known, Cakewalk has recently "...published the source code for several production control surfaces that ship with SONAR to the open source Cakewalk community" (see here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2993349).  That includes their source code for the Mackie Control Surface. Maybe some developer in the Cakewalk community will fix it, so that Mackie Control works properly in SONAR to control plug in parameters, as well, and share the fix with the community.

Goodluck to you, and cya around.

post edited by thomasabarnes - 2014/04/25 08:04:04

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    zoffmeister
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/26 19:53:41 (permalink)
    Thanks Thomas. I'll experiment trying to set up the Keystation Pro with ACT. I suppose it's lazyness, but I have the Keystation on a pull out sliding shelf. I never pull it out any further than far enough to just expose the keys. I have all these knobs and sliders I've never touched. How wasteful of me. 

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: How do I use ACT with Mackie Control (Pro Channel modules)? 2014/04/26 21:02:33 (permalink)
    I use an m audio oxygen to do this with remote control and the learn function.
    its almost just like the key station pro 88.

I also have a control surface a vs 20 for faders, knobs, exc.
    but I use the key controller for this, its easy. makes controlling it a breeze.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1