IS MIDI DEAD?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
DayDrumFour
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
RE: IS MIDI DEAD? 2005/08/09 09:08:15 (permalink)
Changing programs?
Automating parameters in realtime?
Gating the reverb at your own will?
Transferring programs to another unit?
Build a program library?
Saving reverb settings in your sequencer along with your project?

And now I'm doing all of that without ever leaving P5!
fac
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2427
RE: IS MIDI DEAD? 2005/08/09 10:26:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DayDrumFour

Changing programs?
Automating parameters in realtime?
Gating the reverb at your own will?
Transferring programs to another unit?
Build a program library?
Saving reverb settings in your sequencer along with your project?

And now I'm doing all of that without ever leaving P5!

Yes. And in some cases you're still using MIDI to do it.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
fac
RE: IS MIDI DEAD? 2005/08/09 10:36:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rabeach
everybody has their own definition of dead. and mine says cassette players are dead. yes they are in use but i have absolutely no reason to go out and buy a new one today. the market is small. and very little to no development in new cassette technology is occurring today. it is dead to me because i'm an engineer and it currently has no substantial or significant amount of engineering being applied to it's redesign and continued development. can you imagine what kind of cassette could be built today if all of our engineering focus was on cassette innovations and development.

I agree cassettes are dead and almost gone. But that's because they have been replaced with CD's. The same can't be applied to MIDI (unfortunately).

It's not that I can't let go of MIDI. It's just that I still need it in my studio and I'm sure many others do too. I've been searching for ways to use my laptop as a softsynth host, sequencing everything with Sonar in my desktop. There are a couple of MIDI over LAN solutions but the commercial one is expensive and the free one still has a long way to go. I don't want to use MIDI interfaces due to their inherent low speed. If you ask me, this is a problem that should have been solved five years ago, when softsynths started to become popular. And I haven't even mentioned hardware synths yet.

djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
RE: IS MIDI DEAD? 2005/08/09 10:55:03 (permalink)
No, I don't think midi is dead, it's just getting started. There's been some delays due to technical glitches and such, but I'm planning on getting Sonar Home Studio next week to revive my old sound modules....although it takes some time to master any midi program, the benefits are many, and the potential is unlimited. The possible end result is well worth the time invested. You couldn't book an full orchestra for day, for what it all costs, but yet you can come out of a session with a great sounding track. So is midi a great thing for the studio ?? You bet !!
DayDrumFour
RE: IS MIDI DEAD? 2005/08/10 01:24:42 (permalink)
Rabeach pointed out that everyone's definition of "dead" is different. It seems obvious that everyone's definiton of MIDI is different as well.
fac
RE: IS MIDI DEAD? 2005/08/10 08:33:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DayDrumFour

Rabeach pointed out that everyone's definition of "dead" is different. It seems obvious that everyone's definiton of MIDI is different as well.

In that case, let's start again by setting it straight:

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/midispec.htm

DayDrumFour
RE: IS MIDI DEAD? 2005/08/11 01:06:47 (permalink)
In that case, let's start again by setting it straight:

That didn't set it straight, it makes it worse! Now we have to pick and choose what's dead about MIDI and what's not.

My only point was this. One chip will do it all without communicating with another chip. It's only the communication aspects of the MIDI spec that seem questionable. A century from now music devices will still have some MIDI-related features though.

Sample dump standard: Anyone pushed a stereo multisample through a MIDI cable lately?
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1