Helpful ReplyIn case of emergencies....

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 10:36:20 (permalink)

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 11:15:06 (permalink)
Some good ones already, I just want to add:

Anything by:

REM
Cold Play
Morrissey
Bob Dylan (start the slaughter now, but I can't stand any of it)
U2 are pretty much up there
Status Quo

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 11:34:31 (permalink)
You Are the Wind Beneath My Jeans... uh, er, I mean Wings - Bette Midler.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 12:00:37 (permalink)
Bob Dylan (start the slaughter now, but I can't stand any of it)

I respect your right to be clueless.
Legion
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1986
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 13:02:22 (permalink)
Bapu, I like Dylan too but you have to admit he's just a washed out copy of Woody Guthrie

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
julibee
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2826
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 13:31:15 (permalink)
Oh, Jonesy!  You HURT me deeply!!!  I love all those bands (except for Status Quo.  Never heard of them)!!  Honestly, my top favorite Bands of all time include both Dylan and U2.....  'Course I'm an 80's child, so meybe there was something in the water that made me like U2, REM, Morrissey, The Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Jesus and Marychain, etc...

Can we still be friends??? :)

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 14:08:46 (permalink)
I have to admit, Jules, I gotta agree with Jonsey on Dylan...(ducks)  sorry, I've never cared for him and I'm a child of the 80s, too, I still listen to 80's music all the time (I'm listening to slacker radio right now at work on the "classic rock station" and Golden Earring is currently playing!).  but I had my slacker radio station ban Dylan (GASP!).  who told him he could sing, anyway?  yeah, he's a great songwriter, I'll grant that, but get that nasal tone off my speakers, please!

sorry - can we still be friends??????

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
marcos69
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 14:25:51 (permalink)
That's because only the pre-80's Dylan was good.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
julibee
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 14:51:59 (permalink)
Well, while I can't choose a favorite Dylan decade, Mark (but I can rule out his horrible, horrible 70s), some of his more recent stuff it right up there with Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde for me.  MAN!  That stuff is gooooooooood.

K, Beagle.  Still friends.  :)

Randy P
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3070
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 14:53:01 (permalink)
We won't get into what I think of Bob Dylan, but I thought some of you might find this funny.

I was at a Holiday party a couple of years ago. The hosts were middle aged hippies, and had invited a eclectic group of friends. For some reason the husband puts a Dylan cd in. A few people smiled, and some not so much. A guy standing near me muttered something about "can't stand this guy" and walked off to the kitchen. About a half hour later he comes walking back into the room and this is the conversation.
Guy: This crap is still playing?
Host: Its a compilation I made of Bobs best stuff.
Guy: Why didn't you record different Dylan songs instead of this one
         playing over and over.
Host: I didn't, they're all different
Guy:  Coulda fooled me. (shrugs and walks back to kitchen)

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 14:58:20 (permalink)
julibee

Oh, Jonesy!  You HURT me deeply!!!  I love all those bands (except for Status Quo.  Never heard of them)!!

Jules, take no notice of that Colin - he's obviously delirious

Check THIS POST for some classic Quo

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 15:00:30 (permalink)
Hi,

I can't say there is a lot of stuff out there I do not like ... I may not like someone's voice, but they have a right to their expression ... the issue being when some of these folks that are so horny about their fame, have to do things that everyone seems to think raise their ... whatever ...

Elton did a fine rendition of the song ... but it hardly had the strength and meaning that it did when it came out ... but if it was one of her favorite songs ... fine ... let the jet set enjoy their evenings having Elton John sing for you at dinner and bed! But it doesn't mean that it has more meaning for you and I and anyone else. And it was even more meaningless when my own father had written a poem about lit candles in the beach at night during the fascist time in Portugal ... when it was derided and attacked and some of the children got guns to their heads to shut up the father from writing any more "freedom poetry" ... so I'm sorry Elton ... yours is no disgrace .. but it is quite empty!

To me, the worst of them all is Elvis Presley ... in his later years he got better and the music fit him better ... but in the early days it was like the worst rocker around that was trying to suggest to all the girls that he was a better lay than any other guy ... and he was better looking ... and there is no better advertising machine to sell stuff and make money ... than MOVIES ... and you gotta show the ... you get the idea! Talk about white noise and politics ... one guy does it with a gun and it is not ok, but another does it with movies and it is ok! ...

I really thought that the american radio/musicbusiness machine, is by far the worst ... I remember about 20 years ago that some rapper got flamed left and right for the use of language, and all the newspapers and whatnot went after him ... and the record company said that they had fired him ... what a crock of merde that was ... he was sent to another company run by the same company with the name that came from the sister, with a couple of figureheads that made it look like it was not that same record company ... nothing changed, except they had to add another person or two as poster children posing as new executives!

In case you haven't noticed ... so far it's all been about the money and the fame!

In a place where your freedom only means that someone likes Brittany Spears and/or Bruce Springsteen, or ... (heaven forbid) Rod Stewart (gotta be modern now!) ... what does it matter if something is bad or not ... advertising is still going to make you think it's better than it really is anyway and there is no meter anywhere that can value the depth/emptiness of any of these ...

A lot of people (specially in America) don't like Madonna either ... but in many countries she is a symbol of a woman that can say no ... in places where women are subservient slaves ... and could almost be said to not even be people ... thrashed for lies ... no votes ... insulted and beaten because they said something ... and in light of something like that .. I'm sorry Brittany ... you're a little girl that got lucky and you don't even appreciate your wealth and luck!

I once played some Peter Hammill for a lady that ran a new age store here in Portland and she was part of that upper group of people that thought themselves goddesses and the rest of the world was excrement and not spiritual unless you had their crystals ... and even then ... you were never good enough ... all she could say was ... "all that anger" ... and I really wanted to say ... ohh yeah ... you don't have any anger ... you are never incorrect ... your excrement has no smell ... you are so pure ... you have all the crystals ... she was so wrapped up in the image of herself that she could never actually think that anyone else was "real" ... or "spirit" ... when I asked her why a spiritual person had to be on a cd, a book , or in her crystals, but not saying hello to her for her to say it back ... she turned around, and left the room ... I guess she didn't like seeing the ugly witch behind the mirror asking ... mirror mirror on the wall who is the fairest of them all ... right to her face!  Sorry ... so sorry ... that is the worst vomit I have ever seen adn felt in my life ... and any music, regardless, including Brittany is fine ...

The hippocrisy is what is NOT fine! It's ok to be wanting to be famous ... it's not ok to abuse the priviledge!
post edited by Moshkiae - 2009/11/11 15:05:23
bapu
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 15:13:33 (permalink)
It's ok to be wanting to be famous ... it's not ok to abuse the priviledge!

Each and every day I strive for just that. Not to abuse my forum/fame priveledge.
I think that is why Mooch likes me so much.

Moshkiae
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 15:16:24 (permalink)
bapu

Bob Dylan (start the slaughter now, but I can't stand any of it)

I respect your right to be clueless.
Too bad that Manfred Mann can do Bob Dylan so much better ... but this comment might be way too eccentric for Bapu's humor here ...

I liked it when he stopped doing Bob Dylan songs - had one song in every album! -- because Bob had lost it ... and on the next album did a Springsteen song ... and made it famous again ... and is actually better remembered than Bruce's because it became a hit on radio and helped establish Bruce ... he was good already, but in those days he was not being taken as seriously ... even though the concerts were very good.

Heck, even Jimi did him better ... or Bryan Ferry ...
post edited by Moshkiae - 2009/11/11 15:22:18
bapu
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 15:33:07 (permalink)
Too bad that Manfred Mann can do Bob Dylan so much better ... but this comment might be way too eccentric for Bapu's humor here ...

I believe that every interpretation of a Dylan song has something to offer the world. Why else are they chosen? IMHO, it's because the songs are the key factor (not because of Dylan's persona or performance per se).

Dylan is a prime example of an individual taking any form of music and making it his own. Yes he started out one way, transformed over the years and where he is today is not where he was ever before. Change is good IMO, especially when it comes to art in any form.

I do not care to listen to any musician/artist who over multiple years continues to crank out the same stuff (i.e. I don't listen to Jackson Browne). That is why Dylan is still as vital a force today, for me, as he was when I first started lietening to him.

julibee
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 15:37:58 (permalink)
Thanks, Strummy... power 70's - that's why I didn't know! I was too young... and at that time, mom had me listening to Streisand and Sinatra and Cats.  Thank God my older cousin made me a mixed tape with Soft Cell and Springstein and other early 80s pop when I was 9.  Otherwise, I might still be listening to Karen Carpenter.

Moshkiae
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 16:19:30 (permalink)
Dylan is a prime example of an individual taking any form of music and making it his own. Yes he started out one way, transformed over the years and where he is today is not where he was ever before. Change is good IMO, especially when it comes to art in any form.

Totally agreed!

I have always considered Bob a poet ... not a musician though ... I keep thinking that he would sound way better if he did not sing and just spoke his words ... in a couple of movies, and every now and then you hear a snip of his talking and not being a star, and the voice and tones are good ... they just don't resonate like that in the music from the way I hear it.

As a poet? Monumental ... and if academia doesn't place him along the many American names in poetry for the 20th century I say that many of those in the academia need a visit to Nurse Ratchet!
titusgroan1
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 16:31:48 (permalink)
The Kiosk Project

• "Lookin' Out for Love" by Fleetwood Mac

Yeah Jessie I was watching a Fleetwood Mac documentary on BBC TV last week, including recent interviews with many of the various FM band members. That particular number always disturbs me due to what I consider to be a strangely manic vocal from Lindsay Buckingham, the documentary sort of covered the possible reasons that might have been at the time. He seems a lot more grounded nowadays with his young family thankfully

True story - I was having dinner in a Budapest restaurant about 4 years ago and that song came on. Then it came on again. And again. It played about 9 times in a row before a guy at a table near the bar ripped the plug out of the wall.

The horror, the horror..

Back to the subject - the opening piano line of 'I Will Survive' makes me dive for the off-switch to avoid projectile hurling.

post edited by titusgroan1 - 2009/11/11 16:34:16

Ian
marcos69
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 17:33:46 (permalink)
My all time make me want to vomit song, if for no other reason than they just won't stop playing it, is "Alright Now" by Free.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
foxwolfen
  • Total Posts : 8256
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 17:39:42 (permalink)
Legion

Foxwolfen:
Everything by Springsteen, even Tom Joad and Nebraska? Damn, you're hard on him.

LOL - Bruce Springsteen and Brian Adams are two people that cause an immediate flip of the radio knob. They make my skin crawl.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
foxwolfen
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 17:43:54 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey

Some good ones already, I just want to add:

Anything by:

REM
Cold Play
Morrissey
Bob Dylan (start the slaughter now, but I can't stand any of it)
U2 are pretty much up there
Status Quo

Oh thank you. Here I thought I was the only person in the world who can't stand Dylan. Terrible songs, terrible lyrics, horrific voice.

U2 up till the lat 80's was one of my favorite bands, but since then, their music has been contrived commercial crap.

I loved the Smith's, a lot of their music was witty... Morrissey's solo stuff however is just endless whining.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
Jessie Sammler
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2111
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 17:47:34 (permalink)
Not a big Dylan fan here.  I usually don't go on about it, due to the sheer number of people who won't shut up about how great he is.  I'm afraid I'd have to fight off armies if I told anyone how I find that his music triggers menstrual cramps.

Old U2 is awesome.  Present-day U2 is sadly ho-hum.
foxwolfen
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 17:53:27 (permalink)
Jessie Sammler

Not a big Dylan fan here.  I usually don't go on about it, due to the sheer number of people who won't shut up about how great he is.  I'm afraid I'd have to fight off armies if I told anyone how I find that his music triggers menstrual cramps.

Old U2 is awesome.  Present-day U2 is sadly ho-hum.

LOL - me too, and I am a guy!!

Composers Forum
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 17:58:57 (permalink)

Personally, I find it hard to listen to any of Madonna's stuff

Well, not since the hand of God 'goal' anyway..........

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/11 19:43:53 (permalink)
dmbaer

space_cowboy

Songs that make you want to vomit. 

Me
Journey - Don't stop believing
I personally blame them for the destruction of AOR in the 70s. 

This would be a perfect occassion to put in a plug for the book Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs.  It's a short set of essays (just over 100 pages, I think) that discusses just what the title says.  I'm not that big a Dave Barry fan (although the column he wrote about his colonoscopy was maybe the single funniest thing I've ever read any time, anywhere).  But this book is totally delightful.  One prerequisite may be that you need to be at least 50 so you'd remember when some of the gems he discusses first hit the airwaves.  Highly recommended.  Very cheap used copied available from amazon.com as well.

I am a huge Dave Barry Fan.  He plays guitar in a band with Stephen King. 

And I have read that book.  I think it starts with that questionable Neal Diamond (or is that Neil?) 
I am I said
To no one there
and no one heard at all not even the chair

The chair???  Really? 

Or someone left the cake out in the rain
And I don't think i can take it
Cause it took too long to bake it
and I'll never have that recipe again
Oh no!

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/12 00:27:14 (permalink)
marcos69

That's because only the pre-80's Dylan was good.

Maybe pre-70s. 

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
Old55
  • Total Posts : 19791
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/12 00:56:55 (permalink)
I like some early Dylan from time to time.   

On the other hand, I did see that he has a Christmas CD in the stores.  I didn't check the song titles, but I'm having a hard time imagining Bob singing Rudolf The Red-nosed Reindeer or Frosty The Snowman. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/12 06:24:41 (permalink)
It's a good job we all don't like the same stuff isn't it!

What I've heard of his Xmas CD leads me to think it's just a money spinner (obviously) and wouldn't be my first choice of music for the festive period.

Give me the originals any day of the week.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
foxwolfen
Re:In case of emergencies.... 2009/11/12 06:38:08 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey

It's a good job we all don't like the same stuff isn't it!

What I've heard of his Xmas CD leads me to think it's just a money spinner (obviously) and wouldn't be my first choice of music for the festive period.

Give me the originals any day of the week.

Hear Hear... there are some Christmas songs that just should never be touched. By anybody.

Composers Forum
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1