Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 13:51:08 (permalink)
So, I guess were talking about two different things.

1. The software company (Cakewalk) writes a version of their code to work on the Mac OS. That would work fine, but all responsibility falls on Cakewalk.

2. The OS Maker creates some sort of environment within which code written for a different OS can work efficiently.

It's case 2 that I'm saying has a number of tricky points. It has a big payoff for lots of apps, but few of that collection have performance as a high priority like Audio and Video Apps.

Case 2 has to share hardware with two environments. So, apps running natively in the OS may try to use the Sound Card as may apps running in the guest OS Environment. There has to be some co-ordination of the data streams. Listening to a Sonar recording and playing an MP3 through the Native MP3 player.

It just gets tricky, I think. It's not impossible.

I think it makes all the sense in the world to make your PC bootable to either OS. In that case, the apps are running natively. 

I don't think it would work to boot to both OS's at the same time and be able to run apps concurrently in either OS. Usually you have to boot to one or the other. You don't want 2 OSes competing for the same resources.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
SteveGriffiths
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 200
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 14:27:32 (permalink)

Thanks Keni,

that's the post I was looking for.  Most if not all DAWs like a really clean environment to run in, so teh actual OS is not too important, as long as you can use your choice of machine imo.  THe one area I see where Mac can make inroads for audio use is in laptops as the windows laptops have pretty much abandoned firewire whereas MacBook pros still have it (or thunderbolt which works).

I own a Studiolive which I use for recording and live use.  I am completely happy with a windows based PC at home, but may well consider a Mac for my next laptop for capturing audio in a live situation.  Which OS I boot too is not really relevant as I won't be checking my email at the time (that's what phones are for :)

Cheers

Grif

Keni

Excuse me for jumping in, but it's also becoming less important for Cakewalk to bother with a Mac version..

I am currently using a Mac Pro boot camped to Win7Pro with no problems and I've been told that ther are others using 3rd party software a to run Sonar while running OSX...

Now others are working at applying Wineskin and the likes to make this evn more simple and productive...

Maybe the solution is no longer necessarily in the hands of the program developers and will shortly run on either platform to begin with.

We're all seeing how both OS's are adapting many of each others characteristics and I'm currently thinking that we will soon see both of them running either platform's programs natively...

So I'm guessing that MS & Apple will be the one's to solve the issue at last...

It seems to be in either/both of their' best interests to do so...

I have and use both platforms and don't see a reason for the two not to find this common ground...

Just my 2 cents...

Keni

Bogman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 18:45:18 (permalink)
Brad Russell

The point is...The WORLD is getting a Mac. Again, yeah, the touch integration in Win8 is awesome.

No the point is the world is not getting a Mac - If it was there would be no need for expensive marketing campaigns trying to steer public perception and force "consumer trends". MOTU's decision to develop a Windows version of DP8 is interesting because it can only be reflecting a shift in the market place which has already happened.

What MOTU have also developed is a really cool controller App for the iphone/ipad/ipod touch which is truly useful to DP users even if it is just to have a wireless transport controller in your under-the-stairs sound booth (while you fight the hoover off with a trombone). That's the point - the world IS getting an ipad and MOTU are on the case.

I actually think a lot of MAC users would go for a Mac port of Sonar but I reckon there are more potential sales out there for a tablet controller App for ipad & Android and maybe Mini Sonar Apps for these platforms. Z3TA controller App anyone?

Interesting thread - excuse me a minute... "Hey Cakewalk, what are you doing about all these tablets and stuff?"

Regards
Simon

Stand Back I'm Coming Through
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 20:00:31 (permalink)
SteveGriffiths

Thanks Keni,

that's the post I was looking for.  Most if not all DAWs like a really clean environment to run in, so teh actual OS is not too important, as long as you can use your choice of machine imo.  THe one area I see where Mac can make inroads for audio use is in laptops as the windows laptops have pretty much abandoned firewire whereas MacBook pros still have it (or thunderbolt which works).

I own a Studiolive which I use for recording and live use.  I am completely happy with a windows based PC at home, but may well consider a Mac for my next laptop for capturing audio in a live situation.  Which OS I boot too is not really relevant as I won't be checking my email at the time (that's what phones are for :)

Cheers

Grif

Keni

Excuse me for jumping in, but it's also becoming less important for Cakewalk to bother with a Mac version..

I am currently using a Mac Pro boot camped to Win7Pro with no problems and I've been told that ther are others using 3rd party software a to run Sonar while running OSX...

Now others are working at applying Wineskin and the likes to make this evn more simple and productive...

Maybe the solution is no longer necessarily in the hands of the program developers and will shortly run on either platform to begin with.

We're all seeing how both OS's are adapting many of each others characteristics and I'm currently thinking that we will soon see both of them running either platform's programs natively...

So I'm guessing that MS & Apple will be the one's to solve the issue at last...

It seems to be in either/both of their' best interests to do so...

I have and use both platforms and don't see a reason for the two not to find this common ground...

Just my 2 cents...

Keni

Hi Grif...

I'm glad if it helps you for sure... And as I have little use for OSX myself, I'm perfectly happy to boot into Windows and forget about it...

But I hate going back and forth between the two OS's when the need arises...

I truly believe that if either camp decided to support both platforms within a single OS it would be not only do-able, but a lot easier than some might expect... Why they haven't done this must have other reasons as the programming can't be the obstacle...

...nor is the routing of audio in/out of any particular program. It should be reasonable to make the OS question the programs needs when loading an individual program and supplying it with the needed paths and access...

I think Apple is already onto this hence bootcamp as a first foray into this.. I expect in the near future Mac will have an updated bootcamp (or a replacement) that makes this happen... They need to compete with the couple of companies already doing this as ad-ins, but it really needs to be ahndled within/by the OS itself to be efficient...

(I believe)...

In the meantime I'm very happy with my Windows/Mac system as it's the best I've yet had in any camp!

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
KevWest
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 22:47:00 (permalink)
I think if Sonar was on OSX it would be really appreciated in the DAW world where its about more features rather than stability. Cakewalk introduces great features they might not always work right but they bring in great features and do it first. 
Asseli
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/22 08:06:11 (permalink)
I have to work with guys using cubase on mac. I like to work with them. As a longtime Sonar user, it was a steep learning curve to get into this (different os and different daw) Learning mac os was simple (man, what a difference to some things in the pc world!) learning cubase is another story, but if you work with daws it's not such a great challenge. I would like the idea of Sonar running natively on mac (i could abonden all the big pc machines...) and i could easily convince the cubase mates using sonar ;-) cheers Michael

http://www.tango-manzana.com/ video/song: Trip To Tokyo
new release: "Tango Bajo" by Asseli and Grupo Virtual feat. Nicolás Ascone (electric bass&voice); mastered by CJay, Florida.. Now ready for download at itunes, amazon, musicload and others. Enjoy!
Brad Russell
  • Total Posts : 222
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/22 23:53:21 (permalink)
actually think a lot of MAC users would go for a Mac port of Sonar but I reckon there are more potential sales out there for a tablet controller App for ipad & Android and maybe Mini Sonar Apps for these platforms. Z3TA controller App anyone?

Those are actually great ideas. I still think it's sad though. Even here on a user forum for a product aimed at the "pro-sumer" market, users are actually arguing against expansion of their DAW platform into the largest sector of the professional market, in favor of a consumer product for a tablet. 

To me, when it comes to sales numbers, you've hit on the real issue that's muddying the water for all of us. PC sales are in decline. Consumers are opting for portable devices. That's exactly why I think a software developer who specializes in powerful features for a powerful computer should try and make their product a viable option for all of the pro market on both platforms. Cakewalk seems to have built their business around home studio users who are also computer geeks (I count myself among that number, so don't throw anything at me). With every mac selling with garage band right out of the box, I don't see that as a growing market for windows developers. Everyone under the age of 20 who wants a computer for Christmas wants a Mac.  Overwhelmingly, young people looking to get into recording opt for a mac, even if they have to buy a used one.

IMHO,declining pc sales is worse news for Cakewalk than it is for any of their competitors, especially Apple. Logic has been in the top 5 grossing apps on the app store since they offered that method of delivery.

Brad Russell 
www.bradrussellmusic.org

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/23 09:59:29 (permalink)
Brad : "Everyone under the age of 20 who wants a computer for Christmas wants a Mac. "

That's a pretty strong statement :-)

In my experience, not everyone wants to get ripped off.

I've gone back to university and macs are the minority among the kids I see.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/23 11:04:17 (permalink)
Ditto...  I can't say I know anyone under 20 (or over) who specifically wants or wanted a MAC.  Rather, they all have Windows laptops because that's what they (or their parents) can afford to buy.   And they work just fine with i-tunes... because most also have ipods and/or iphones.       That's the only place I personally ever see the Apple logo. 

I do get the pro market perspective though.    At the same time, I'm assuming there's no good business case or Cakewalk/Roland would have already ventured in that direction.  

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/23 11:19:30 (permalink)
My 2 cents: Steinberg made Wavelab Mac OSX capable, because they saw the added business. There are some DAWs that only work with Mac, and almost none that work with Linux. Windows is still, to this day #1 in the OS market. Apple is (or was) the world's largest company, forget just a computer manufacturer. These are just the knowns. 

I believe it would make sense to add staff to port Sonar over to the Mac. If you're ever going to get a Pro-Tools user to try Sonar out, this is a good way to do that. Unfortunately, Apple's direction is very secretive, which makes their products unpredictable to some extent. Microsoft rarely is secretive to that extent. 

Cakewalk can decide to make Sonar for the Mac, and I suspect this could be something for X3. They would increase their sales, I believe, but the hardware IS expensive. Usually, anyone who buys a Mac Pro, for example, has the $ to go the ProTools route, not taking chances on something new. If it were me, I'd lean heavily toward PT for the Mac. I live in Nashville, and all of my friends who have Mac DAW's use PT or Logic.  However, they would give Sonar a try on the Mac, sure. They just wouldn't reach for it as the first one to grab when purchasing a $3,000 Mac Pro.  If Cakewalk wants Sonar on the Mac, they'd better get started soon, and they will definitely need to work out the kinks. I find Apple users far less tolerant to bugs than Windows users. 

Ubuntu can forget it for now. Unfortunately, there is a very VERY tiny DAW market there, and most studio engineers would rather not have to deal with Linux. They don't have time. Ubuntu is rock solid, and I love it (I use 10.04 and 12.04 LTS servers every day), but it's still got a ways to go to be really DAW and DAW hardware-friendly. Believe me, I wish this were not the case. 

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Brad Russell
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/23 11:46:49 (permalink)
Brad : "Everyone under the age of 20 who wants a computer for Christmas wants a Mac. " That's a pretty strong statement :-)

True. I did resort to a degree of hyperbole in that statement.

In my experience, not everyone wants to get ripped off. I've gone back to university and macs are the minority among the kids I see.

And, you have employed the same device :)

I said, they WANT a mac for Christmas. I didn't say they were getting them. My 15 year old saved up his money for over a year to buy a macbook pro. 

I work in a pretty large church, so I've got lots of students and young adults working with me. Lots of them do video editing, audio recording, graphic design, etc. I can't think of one that uses a windows machine. In the last month, I've been working with a kid who is crazy talented. He wants to get into recording. He already has a laptop with sonar LE. He bought a used macbook pro to run Garageband. 

Brad Russell 
www.bradrussellmusic.org

Keni
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/23 12:47:27 (permalink)
I own a MacPro as it was a gift...

...and I enjoy it very much running Win7Pro.

But I would not be looking for one if I was shopping to buy.

I wish we could get over the constant banter of PT being "pro" and everything else not.

Yes, many large studios have opted for it fr a variety of reasons, but in the pro world of lessening/vanishing "big" studios, we are also seeing studios that support both win/OSX work with assorted clients and the extreme variety of work that happens...

One big reason fr supporting PT in a studio is that they get to charge more!

I have been in the studio business for over 40 years and I remember other similar situations... People/studios used to say the sae about adat support... Which went where?

People use whatever works for them and for every "under 20" that only wants a Mac, there are dozens of times more that are too musically determined to wait for it and dig into the lower cost simply to work.

Yes... Garage band free is a boon to people starting with a Mac... Wonderful entry level... As s Audacity on either platform....

Companies compete for sure... but as in chess, all moves are not easily read! ;-)

For me, I believe that any path can be successful given the right turn of the world...

I just want Cakewalk to fix the many issues with Lanes and I can carry on with my life as a musician as I don't want to be a businessman... ;-)

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/23 13:39:00 (permalink)
Personally, I don't like the adage of PT being "Pro", either. However, a few things do set them apart from the others, such as a wider range of controller options designed specifically for PT, even if they can be used with other DAW's (we're talking huge mixing desks). They also support satellite feeds and better audio networking than most. The ideal customer base for PT are the studios that have a staff, where the sessions need to be easily shared between desktops and facilities, not that Sonar can't do this on a shared network drive. 

Also, AVID has invested a lot in tailored hardware that can be bundled and used seamlessly with the DAW, and this obviously puts them in a better position to make their DAW more efficient and bug-free, which is good for their reputation in the market--and for higher rates charged.

I'm not defending PT as "Pro", though, it just ends up that way with most people. As the CPUs get faster and higher sampling rates and Bit-engines become diminishing in returns, we're going to see all that change.

In the book by "Mixerman", Zen and the Art of Mixing, he indicates the Mastering realm is really the only industry left in which you can reliably place some emphasis on how serious and successful the engineer is based on his equipment, and whether or not this is all he does and nothing else. The mixing market is less and less that way, since the technology and DAW advances have gotten so good. PT has definitely got their work cut out for them.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Keni
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/23 18:18:37 (permalink)
brconflict

Personally, I don't like the adage of PT being "Pro", either. However, a few things do set them apart from the others, such as a wider range of controller options designed specifically for PT, even if they can be used with other DAW's (we're talking huge mixing desks). They also support satellite feeds and better audio networking than most. The ideal customer base for PT are the studios that have a staff, where the sessions need to be easily shared between desktops and facilities, not that Sonar can't do this on a shared network drive. 

Also, AVID has invested a lot in tailored hardware that can be bundled and used seamlessly with the DAW, and this obviously puts them in a better position to make their DAW more efficient and bug-free, which is good for their reputation in the market--and for higher rates charged.

I'm not defending PT as "Pro", though, it just ends up that way with most people. As the CPUs get faster and higher sampling rates and Bit-engines become diminishing in returns, we're going to see all that change.

In the book by "Mixerman", Zen and the Art of Mixing, he indicates the Mastering realm is really the only industry left in which you can reliably place some emphasis on how serious and successful the engineer is based on his equipment, and whether or not this is all he does and nothing else. The mixing market is less and less that way, since the technology and DAW advances have gotten so good. PT has definitely got their work cut out for them.

Hi Brian...

I agree with much of what you said...

I had hoped that Cakewalk was gonna go more in that direction as Avid and Fairlight did... they started to with the VS700 stuff, but didn't build it to the "performing arts" range and it sits pretty much as a project studio alternative only...

Roland's foray into the live digital board is quite good, but their approach hasn't been "bought" by those situations/venues. Avid devoted more resources to that field and have very few competitors (tho More are always emerging)...

As so many use PT already, it's an easy transition to their' boards whether live or in the studio...

For me? If I was entering that realm in a distributed studio I'd go for the Fairlight as it surpasses everybody as they've been doing this far longer...

For live I'd probably use a Digico or Studer Vista.... and Sonar of course! ;-)

It just seems to me that people now more than ever do their work in such a diversified manner (recordings) that the advantage of the large studios is far smaller... and as an old-time studio owner, I know that tech always changes and that what matters most is can the studio handle the work/needs. Can they transport between locations with a given project...

I know there are problems of sorts with OMF, projects have always needed to deal with issues when changing locations... Remember calibrating 2" machines to a clients tape? Or transferring from Something or other to/from ADAT ...or Sony digital....

A studio can always rent the extra hear if a client needs it so while being a "PT Studio" once meant more dependable. I don't think it still can hold that claim... and I know that their' major releases always have many bugs.... Notoriously in the past... They're no different than anyone else in that arena...

But enuf of this rant... ;-) As to the subject of this thread...

I'd love it if Sonar did release a Mac/IOS version.... I'm sure no one would complain? ;-)

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/23 18:49:50 (permalink)
I think this argument is really irrelevent guys, haven't you heard the news.  Computing as we know it is going through a new revolution, it is now possible to record high quality to your Ipad and Iphone and even Android is starting to catch up.  What Sonar really needs to do is start thinking about an Ipad app or Android app.  Cubase has done it, this is the future.

We need to understand a couple of things, 1st our Iphone now and Ipad are about as powerful as laptops were about two or three years ago, why lug around a desktop (the way of the dodo anyone) or even a laptop these days. 2nd consumer electronics are of an excellent quality that gear snobs are just that eltist scum.  There are a number of fine audio interfaces that work with the ipad these days and this includes Apogee.

Whilst I  would still be reluctant to edit or mix on an ipad, the day is coming when I can see it will be possible.  What I really am looking forward to is when I can build an ipad instrument with a fully featured DAW, which can be used on stage and in the studio.  Were only a year or two away.  Watch this space.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
BenMMusTech
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/23 18:54:20 (permalink)
Sorry Guys, forum software says NO!

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/23 20:46:29 (permalink)
Ben : "We need to understand a couple of things, 1st our Iphone now and Ipad are about as powerful as laptops were about two or three years ago, why lug around a desktop (the way of the dodo anyone) or even a laptop these days"

Yeah, and iPads and phones have great sound too :-)

People have sacrificed everything for portability. The idea has become more important than the real thing.

Why have a great sound system when you can just imagine that you do ?

I guess I'm a dying breed since I like creature comforts. An ergonomic chair, a fullsize keyboard, a 30" screen, great speakers.
You won't see me pretending to create music sitting on a bus.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Brad Russell
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/23 22:55:52 (permalink)
Benjamin, I'm sorry. I can't tell if you're kidding. 

I have 4 Terabytes of HD storage on my DAW, 8 GB of RAM. What about our huge sample libraries? I also record 48 tracks at once every week. I don't think an ipad will be a serious solution for me for a long time. 

Brad Russell 
www.bradrussellmusic.org

BenMMusTech
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/24 00:05:43 (permalink)
Brad Russell

I have 4 Terabytes of HD storage on my DAW, 8 GB of RAM. What about our huge sample libraries? I also record 48 tracks at once every week. I don't think an ipad will be a serious solution for me for a long time. 

I am being serious, I am a music tech specialist and I can see the writing on the wall.  I did say we were about a year or two away but lets say for agument sake your like me and many others here on the forum, that is we are hybrid musicians/digital musicians.  All we need is a couple of inputs and outputs.  So for most of us an Ipad will do the job. 

As for your argument, that is you record 48 tracks at once, it's not a viable option at the moment but on saying that I know of quite a few high end interfaces eg: RME that will now work with ipad, I believe it has to do with core audio.  So that takes care of the sound quality, next we have to look at SSD speeds, ram speeds and throughput of the apple connectors.  Now I am not sure of these facts but I believe a gig of ram should be enough to buffer 48 tracks of audio at 24bit 44.1Khz, the only problem seems to be storage and the throughput of the apple connector.

I believe that these problems will be solved in the near future, lets say apples next Ipad comes with a thunderbolt connector, this would allow you to hook multiple devices to the ipad, possibly in some sort of daisy chain format.  It would also allow you to connect a HD monitor to the ipad and external hard drives.  Couple this with a bluetooth keyboard and you have a very small touch screen laptop that could sit quite nicely in front of your large screen monitor and control things. 

Hold the presses I forgot about all the new and exciting interfaces that are availible now, there are fully functioning digital mixers from MAKIE and BEHRINGER which you slide your ipad into.  It wouldn't take much to build USB and HDMI connectors into the desk so you can record 48 tracks. 

Honestly this is the way of the future!!

Peace Ben

lapieuvre
  • Total Posts : 221
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/24 05:46:20 (permalink)
I don't think you need to double the staff to make Sonar work on a MAC. Softwares are written in certain languages, then they are compiled for whatever platform you want to - Windows, MAC, Linux. Of course it might need extra work and twaeks, but not to rewrite the whole program!

Win 7 64 bits, Intel core2 quad Q9550 (2.83ghz)
Fireface 800, Sonar X1 Producer
Live 8 Suite, Kontakt 4

guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/24 06:37:03 (permalink)
Brad Russell

Brad - great thread!  I agree that it is the right time for Sonar to be ported over to Mac.  I resisted Apple products all my life up until a couple years ago when I got my first iPhone and iPad, and read the Steve Jobs biography.  I totally changed my opinion about Apple.  Their hardware is second to none as far as quality and durability goes.  I'm considering a MacBook Pro, however, I'm used to a laptop with a  17" screen and higher resolution so I may not go with a Mac just yet....

Who knows?  Maybe when they re-did Sonar with X1 and X2 they were getting ready for a more OS independant set of code?  Is the code written so it can easily be ported over?  Or is it so tightly tied to MS still?  It would be nice to hear from Noel - he would know.

And Keni's statement about 3rd party solutions that allow Sonar to run on OSX sounds very interesting.

I do think Cake needs to think seriously about iPad.  Of course running huge libraries is kind of out of the question at the moment, but the cost of Ram gets cheaper all the time.  2 Terrabyte SSD drives are now on the market.  It's only going to be a matter of time - maybe a couple years - before memory is not going to be an issue.  You could "sync" projects that you want to work on from your main DAW, just like you synq movies.  You can do some mixing or arranging on the plane, or do some recording on location.  That way you can keep the main projects on your DAW - perfectly in sync.
Brad Russell
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/12 02:28:53 (permalink)
Well, we just about beat this dead horse into the ground, but since Cakewalk is under new ownership now....bump!

Brad Russell 
www.bradrussellmusic.org

Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/12 02:42:01 (permalink)
There's no market for it, its saturated already (Linux would be a better idea). Development costs would be pretty big (wanna pay double for you next version of Sonar?), and there's still much to do with the PC version to make it a killer app. Install boot camp and you are done (maybe)., Apples are just PCs in disguise anyway. Best ROI for cakewalk as far as new software is concerned are tablet apps and plugins.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/12 03:45:27 (permalink)
Apple dropping the price of Logic to $199 via direct sale only was basically a sign posted on the Mac that said "We own this market. Go away."

Apple has contributed a lot to our world, but one aspect I don't like is how they've devalued software in order to sell hardware.

Logic has made a major dent in market share for other programs. So Sonar would not only be coming into the game late, but have to gain back market share that other companies have lost to Logic. That would be difficult for any company to do, let alone one of Cakewalk's size.

That said, there's still some room to move in the Mac market, but I believe you will see Apple more and more offering Apple software for Apple computers...and if you want to try and take on a company that has billions in the bank from consumer electronics, and knows what hardware and software changes are coming up before anyone else, you're welcome to try.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/12 03:47:45 (permalink)
Cakewalk hates it when I tell people that Sonar works well on Boot Camp, because they don't support it officially and don't want to deal with support issues...or give mixed messages about Mac and Windows. So please, don't tell anyone at Cakewalk about this post   Some evil spirit took me over and made me type this.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/12 03:49:18 (permalink)
You guys did see that letter from UA about what works with the new Mac desktop and what will never work with the new desktop...right? "Unfortunately UAD-2 SOLO, DUO, and QUAD PCIe cards cannot be made to work with the new Mac Pros."
post edited by Anderton - 2014/01/12 03:55:34

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/12 05:24:19 (permalink)
Anderton
You guys did see that letter from UA about what works with the new Mac desktop and what will never work with the new desktop...right? "Unfortunately UAD-2 SOLO, DUO, and QUAD PCIe cards cannot be made to work with the new Mac Pros."

That's going to upset more than a few Mac users, especially studios that are running Macs with a ton of UAD plugins.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
joakes
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 905
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/12 05:25:34 (permalink)
BenMMusTech
Brad Russell

I am being serious, I am a music tech specialist and I can see the writing on the wall.  I did say we were about a year or two away but lets say for agument sake your like me and many others here on the forum, that is we are hybrid musicians/digital musicians.  All we need is a couple of inputs and outputs.  So for most of us an Ipad will do the job. 

As for your argument, that is you record 48 tracks at once, it's not a viable option at the moment but on saying that I know of quite a few high end interfaces eg: RME that will now work with ipad, I believe it has to do with core audio.  So that takes care of the sound quality, next we have to look at SSD speeds, ram speeds and throughput of the apple connectors.  Now I am not sure of these facts but I believe a gig of ram should be enough to buffer 48 tracks of audio at 24bit 44.1Khz, the only problem seems to be storage and the throughput of the apple connector.

I believe that these problems will be solved in the near future, lets say apples next Ipad comes with a thunderbolt connector, this would allow you to hook multiple devices to the ipad, possibly in some sort of daisy chain format.  It would also allow you to connect a HD monitor to the ipad and external hard drives.  Couple this with a bluetooth keyboard and you have a very small touch screen laptop that could sit quite nicely in front of your large screen monitor and control things. 

Hold the presses I forgot about all the new and exciting interfaces that are availible now, there are fully functioning digital mixers from MAKIE and BEHRINGER which you slide your ipad into.  It wouldn't take much to build USB and HDMI connectors into the desk so you can record 48 tracks. 

Honestly this is the way of the future!!

Peace Ben

Ben, i was almost going to agree with you until you about certain things, then you started on about you being a music tech........... again.

I have an iPad. It will NOT do the jobas a desktop or powerful laptop will, it has no memory for stocking samples etc, nor large wav files, nor large programmes etc etc.

Its merely a way to a means - i don't have to go 5 metres to press a record button, i use V-Control (which if i remeber correctly, you have also).

IMHO i can't see a tablet replacing a desktop in the near or medium term - they just can't deal with the amount of info they will need to stock.

Also, fro the "new" Mackie and Behringer mixers, sure its interesting, but give me a real slider anyday than a finger swipe. And the iPads are only control devices not the mixers, which lets face it, do the majority of the work.
I await to see your designs for integrating USB and HDMI.........

Digitech have a pedal board that you programme (that is the operative word) using your iPad. But when you're using the thing live as a glorified stomp box, then i would not like my iPad any where near my clumsy feet.

Keni made the best post here.

Sorry Ben, you've not convinced me at all. Tablets as an aid, yes no issue. Tablets as a DAW, well, no.

Cheers,
Jerry

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
daveny5
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re: Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/12 11:25:22 (permalink)
Brad Russell

It seems like Cakewalk is missing something here. The Apple marketshare has been steadily increasing over the last 10 years.

If it is, it's not by much. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems OSX has only 7.5% of the OS marketshare. Windows has 86%. 

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/12 11:32:10 (permalink)
Brad Russell
Well, we just about beat this dead horse into the ground, but since Cakewalk is under new ownership now....bump!

Guess you missed the http://www.cakewalk.com/page.aspx/Gibson-FAQ where the new owners already answered your question:

Will Cakewalk develop a Mac version of SONAR? 
Many musicians already run SONAR on the Mac using Boot Camp and various other solutions, so there are no plans for a Mac version at this time. However, Mac and iOS support for other products will play an important part in Cakewalk’s future.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1