Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Pragi
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/15 09:50:36 (permalink)
joden
hmmm - I can see you are a deep thinker there guigz2000. Thanks for that insightful post. Rather sweeping statements and ridiculous generalities.

OBVIOUSLY it would be not a full version, more a version that would run Sonar CWP's preset up on the PC...would be mostly MIDI for obvious reasons, but some audio based CWP's could also be used. So I am talking about a "player" app more than an "editing/production" app. 

Had you thought past your attempt at a supercilious reply you may have considered that THIS is what I was hinting at!

plus 1,
and I think he is nearly like a german.
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/15 10:42:00 (permalink)
Ah and what a huge Spring hit that was for Madonna in Germany.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/15 12:03:46 (permalink)
There used to be a PC version of Logic until Apple bought it and immediately killed off the PC version.

Another vote for NOT porting Sonar to OSX, especially since CW can't even handle the existing load of bugs. If they were to develop an OSX version this situation would only get much worse and instead of one buggy version of Sonar we would have two extremely buggy versions.

CW just really needs to focus on making their existing products work better by fixing those bugs on that long list.

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
Brad Russell
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/15 12:27:03 (permalink)
guigz2000
I didn't mention it before:

Brad Russell
The point is not that I got a Mac. The point is...The WORLD is getting a Mac. 

What a troll.
Well....In the US, apple market share is 10%...And since the US is one of the countries with Apple's biggest market share (they're rich and American),I wouldn't consider "everyone" is buying a Mac.
More seriously, the WORLD is getting Android....Why not sonar on Android? (There's iPad/Iphones, I know,but hey, there's a lot more Android smartphones!!)...Don't tell me,I know the answer.

I'm sorry for overstating the facts in my original post. I can see it didn't play well. My bad, but I'm no troll.

The PC market overall is in steady decline as consumers are opting for portable devices. What's left is the business user, proprietary industrial machines, data centers, and content creators. As the PC market has been in steady decline, Apple's market share has steadily been increasing. They were at 13.7 % over the holidays. They were number 3 among PC manufacturers but saw a 28 % increase against #1 HPs 10% decrease. Dell and Lenovo were up a little, but Toshiba was down 13%. Smaller manufacturers were down 30%. Consumers who are ejecting from the market are overwhelmingly windows users.

OK, so, the world isn't getting a mac. The world isn't even shopping for a PC. They're over in the other section of the store looking at tablets. Still, for those who are still using computers for content creation (which is pretty much all serious content creators), the windows based market share is declining and the Apple market share is increasing. That's why I think, no matter how entrenched in a market strategy Cakewalk may be, it would be in the best interests of the company and all of us who use the product (I own nearly every version since Sonar 1) for Cakewalk to offer their awesome product for OSX.

Peace and blessings to all.

Brad Russell 
www.bradrussellmusic.org

Splat
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/15 12:33:55 (permalink)
Nice post, but sorry I don't see that "it would be in the best interests of the company and all of us who use the product (I own nearly every version since Sonar 1) for Cakewalk to offer their awesome product for OSX." for more or less the reasons you've just explained in the same post. Anyway Gibson answered the question so that is that...
post edited by CakeAlexS - 2014/01/15 18:26:21

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/15 14:07:07 (permalink)
Yeah.... I can completely understand the desire for an OSX based version of SONAR, but not the business case.   And as Alex mentioned it would appear that Gibson does not see that business case either.

IMHO the best path forward for SONAR users is at least an X3e, followed by an X4 series, X5, etc, all improving on the prior versions.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Splat
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/15 18:29:21 (permalink)
I've got a feeling there will have to be a X3F and X3G after X3E, there's a lot of catch up and obvious bug squashing to do if you look at my bug thread, I don't think Cake are going to be able to fix the issues in just one more patch. It's maybe more reasonable to expect everything to be fixed within this year, certainly before X4 I hope, we shall see. BTW just to emphasise X3D is perfectly useable, it's just that there's a lot that needs fixing.

ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/15 19:30:14 (permalink)
 Well, they might have done a bit better over the holidays but lets wait to see what the next quarter looks like to say sales are up.  http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/10/technology/mac-pc-sales/ 

I think we were all better off before the ithingys and Xbox was released. I think both PC and Mac development has been much slower and I fear it is going to decline even more.

As has been mentioned, the only thing that differentiates a Mac and a PC now is the operating system. 
I would have no problem with CW developing Sonar for Mac, but I think Mac will be as reluctant as CW is to having that relationship.  

Me

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/15 22:44:32 (permalink)
Brad Russell

The PC market overall is in steady decline as consumers are opting for portable devices. What's left is the business user, proprietary industrial machines, data centers, and content creators. As the PC market has been in steady decline, Apple's market share has steadily been increasing. They were at 13.7 % over the holidays. They were number 3 among PC manufacturers but saw a 28 % increase against #1 HPs 10% decrease. Dell and Lenovo were up a little, but Toshiba was down 13%. Smaller manufacturers were down 30%. Consumers who are ejecting from the market are overwhelmingly windows users.

Not sure where you got those figures...I could imagine Apple market share of shipments going up during the holidays, but the picture for 2013 as a whole up to 4Q is somewhat different...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/09/mac-shipments-continue-to-shrink-as-apple-loses-ground-in-us-pc-market

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/09/apple-again-trails-u-s-pc-market-in-key-back-to-school-quarter-as-tablets-continue-to-eat-into-pc-sales/

But this is the one that's really revealing, as it shows which operating systems are most common on desktops.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

It's interesting that Windows 8, 8.1 and Vista combined have less than half the share of Windows XP...

[Edit: The link above seems to be dynamic, as it's to a subscription service so you get something different every time you click on it. I got to the most recent figures using google - try "Desktop Operating System Market Share" and look for an entry with "NetMarketShare." Good luck!]

But let's look into the future. The desktop, Mac or Windows, is on the way out because it's overkill for those who find tablets and smart phones do what they want. Windows desktops rule in the corporate world, but are of lesser power, and backwards compatibility is essential. Apple's desktops have a huge presence in audio and video, but the price paid for that in terms of selection and backwards compatibility are well-known.

I predicted years ago that desktops would become less common, more powerful, and more expensive. Apple's Cylinder is exactly that. The company is clearly producing a spare-no-expense, high-power desktop for crucial creative applications. However, the fact remains that not all movies are made in Hollywood with big budgets, and quite a few music hits are made by remixers in a bedroom with a laptop. Ultimately, I think Apple's desktops will have an increasing market share of a decreasing market, and in the ultimate paradox, the Windows desktops - which will nonetheless offer considerable power (arguably without Apple's cachet) - will become "the computer for the rest of us."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Sure wouldn't mind if a Cylinder dropped out of the sky, but the price tag doesn't make sense for me.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
Re: Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/17 18:00:42 (permalink)
If I had a title like "Director of Unethical Operations" over at a company like SteinMapple, the first thing I would do is to enlist an army of sock puppets and useful idiots to convince Cakewalk that they had to port everything over to OSX.  Because surely the expense of porting, and the even worse expense of maintaining OSX DAWs, would drain resources away from Cakewalk's core competencies, causing all versions of Sonar to suffer.  The diminished product would lose market share, Cakewalk would consequently disappear, and the orphaned customers would naturally flock to SteinMapple.

(Hopefully we are all smart enough to know that I am not actually accusing anyone of anything like that, but this being the internet, disclaimers must be made).

On a more serious note, have you noticed that Cakewalk has never bothered to update the installer for Rapture for the newest version of OSX? One might think that if OSX is the land of milk and honey that the "Sonar on OSX" crowd maintains, that Cakewalk would have fixed that right away.  On the other hand, not fixing the installers might be a signal that the OSX well is not providing enough for all those who want to be there.
Splat
Re: Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/17 21:28:33 (permalink)
The installers with Dimension Pro and Rapture, plus how registry keys are handled is simply silly and should have been fixed within months of initial release. I hope they fix these issues one day. I say silly because fixing them shouldnt have been that hard.

John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/17 21:31:52 (permalink)
Cakewalk have never built the most elegant installers, it's true.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Brad Russell
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/01/22 01:43:21 (permalink)
Anderton
Not sure where you got those figures...I could imagine Apple market share of shipments going up during the holidays, but the picture for 2013 as a whole up to 4Q is somewhat different...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/09/mac-shipments-continue-to-shrink-as-apple-loses-ground-in-us-pc-market

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/09/apple-again-trails-u-s-pc-market-in-key-back-to-school-quarter-as-tablets-continue-to-eat-into-pc-sales/

This is where I got my numbers.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/09/gartner-pcmarket-statistics/

I totally understand your points though, and I will say, your presence in this forum and your consistent contribution in discussions is such a refreshing and inspiring aspect of the outstanding Cakewalk community. That's one thing I have always greatly appreciated about this company, way back to the early days with Greg. It's great to see you, first as a user, now as a part of the company, continuing (and enhancing) the personal touch with Cakewalk users.

Thanks for the input.

Brad Russell 
www.bradrussellmusic.org

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/02/06 22:09:20 (permalink)
Hmmm, I may end up eating my earlier iPad comment... this was in the new Focusrite newsletter (go figure)

http://us.focusrite.com/ipad-audio-interfaces/itrack-dock?utm_campaign=FocNews-Feb14-Americas&utm_content=106869920721&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Emailvision#overview

It even has a big "Tell me when it's available" button too!

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Brad Russell
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/02/07 11:15:16 (permalink)
mettelus
Hmmm, I may end up eating my earlier iPad comment... this was in the new Focusrite newsletter (go figure)

http://us.focusrite.com/ipad-audio-interfaces/itrack-dock?utm_campaign=FocNews-Feb14-Americas&utm_content=106869920721&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Emailvision#overview

It even has a big "Tell me when it's available" button too!

That's really cool. I have an Alesis IO dock but it only fits the older iPads. Interesting. With these newer faster processors there are real possibilities. Would we do sample libraries in the cloud?

Now, I could really be stupid here, but isn't one limitation of a tablet based system RAM? With Flash memory does everything stream from "disk" or is it held in a temporary location? Also, what about the ability of a tablet to play and record simultaneously (like our DAWs do) with samplers, synths, fx, all running? This does look interesting.

Brad Russell 
www.bradrussellmusic.org

mettelus
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/02/07 11:26:27 (permalink)
Yeah... that was why I was scratching my head earlier wondering how anyone could consider an iPad as a "DAW." They certainly won't be producing film scores on them, but for usage like demonstrated in the video in that newsletter they have merit. If you can record on it well and get the data out, that is all that matters.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/02/07 11:44:12 (permalink)
Of interest to this thread- a "casuals" observation: 
I work for very large Health Authority as a Casual. 
All the computers are Small HP P4's look like a CD player sit under monitor. 
They run XP. 
The IT guy was poking around the other day. P4's keep him very busy as you can imagine. His main complaint is unresponsive or very very slow machines... So I asked him when we would get an upgrade both OS and CPU's.. He said we will be starting in 2015. He said the issue is software compatibility. Everything runs on XP just fine. A full on upgrade is going to cost more then the health authority can afford at this time.. Some software for special lab equipment is no longer supported etc. Sound familiar? 

SOo think of all the other systems in place like this that get screwed around buy  a consumer driven market place. The business world is possibly getting the dirty end of the stylus.. I wonder what the cooperate user base share of market is these day's?

Oh - The IT guy had a Mac Air.. partitioned with both XP and W7...  He was waiting for a Tablet that will do that too.. 

PS here's an interesting chart of market share of brands.. Apple is included;

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...sonal_computer_vendors

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

mettelus
Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2014/02/07 17:43:40 (permalink)
Many corporations are running the rims off XP. I have seen many that skipped Vista completely due to its bad start/revenue structure, and when forced out of XP will go to Win7. I think someone posted the article in here someplace about HP shifting marketing strategies to "Win7 installed" on new computers because of the aversion to Win8.

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1