Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Brad Russell
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
2013/04/19 18:18:11 (permalink)

Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX

I know. I know. Another thread on Sonar on the Mac platform? Why, Right?

Well, I've been a Cakewalk/Sonar user since Sonar 1. I've made most of the upgrades. For years I was a hold out. I didn't want anything to do with apple products. All of my friends in the music biz said, "you should get a mac." I said, "no." I built machines, bought new gear, tweaked my pc, just like everyone else. I was constantly in search of a powerful setup that would run reliably. I had pride in being a loyal Cakewalk customer, and told anyone who would listen about this great company who cared about their customers and made great, under-appreciated products. I currently have a Custom i5/Asus computer, running X2, a Presonus Firestudio, and the VS 700C controller. I've invested lots of time, money, and energy into being a Cakewalk user. 

A few years ago, I got a new job. My employer bought me a macbook pro as my daily office computer. I thought I'd try Logic, so I started trying it out, and it was really cool. Still, most of my work was in Sonar 8, so I just ran 2 machines. Logic was just for fun. Sonar was for my serious work. Time went on. I found myself working in OSX more and more. Switching to my Windows machine was less and less common and became increasingly annoying. I found myself needing to use my mac for other work tasks while working on projects in Sonar. It was frustrating moving between machines. I wanted to run my recording projects and do my daily work from the same machine, but I didn't want my main workflow for recording to be based on a laptop. I like a desktop setup much better.  So, I set up my PC to run OSX. I ran Logic and other daily work apps on the Hackintosh. The only thing I do on the Win7 partition is use Sonar. We multitrack each week in Sonar. I bring the project to my office for editing/mixing. It's so annoying to have to boot into windows to do this. 

It seems like Cakewalk is missing something here. The Apple marketshare has been steadily increasing over the last 10 years. That's not a trend I see changing. More and more people are either switching to the mac or they are being introduced to computers on the mac. Since the days of the PC vs. Mac debate are really over, shouldn't every DAW be available on both platforms? If Reaper can do it, why can't Cakewalk? If all the other DAWs can do it, why can't Cakewalk.

For the first time, I'm seriously considering abandoning my DAW of choice because it has become too much of a pain to use. Expanding Cakewalk's OSX development just makes good sense. Here's an example: When I spent $2000 on a control surface, I opted for the VS 700C because it was designed for Sonar AND it had mac drivers. It didn't work all that well out of the box with Logic, but it gave me basic functionality UNTIL I upgraded to Lion. No compatible driver. So, I was stuck with a huge control surface on my desk that only works with a program I only use a small part of the time. What did I do? Unplugged my VS 700C and put it back in the box. That's a pain. If Cakewalk devoted resources to OSX development, I might have a control surface that actually helps me. 

Anyway, fire away with all your "If you love your mac so much, just switch and leave us alone" rants. Just wondering how many of you feel the way I do. I would LOVE to see Sonar X2 on OSX!

Brad Russell 
www.bradrussellmusic.org

107 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/19 18:28:19 (permalink)
    Yes this would be a good time to start an Apple Sonar version. After all X2a is so ingrained into MS technology that it shouldn't be hard to port it over. Forget touch support or support for all MS driver models. Never mind that one big reason that CW is often first with support for MS developments is due to its very close relationship. But forget all that your boss gave you a mac and that was all it took. We should all petition CW to go apple because you got a mac. 

I just got Windows 8 when is apple going to port Logic over to Windows 8?

Best
    John
    Brad Russell
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/19 18:44:33 (permalink)

Yeah, yeah...great. I get it. Cakewalk made its choice a long time ago. They are committed to their platform. Great. The point is not that I got a Mac. The point is...The WORLD is getting a Mac. Again, yeah, the touch integration in Win8 is awesome. That's probably one reason I'm not going to see Lion (and now Mountain Lion) support for my control surface that was advertised to work on OSX. Here's the bigger question there: Do you think touch screen is the way of the future in the Pro Audio world? Is everyone just going to put a touch screen in the middle of their work flow? I don't see it happening, at least not for a long while. Of course, as you've already made clear, I could be wrong.

On your other point: If Cakewalk were a division of Microsoft I might see your point here, but Cakewalk, last time I checked is competing in the DAW market. Clearly, Windows based DAWs are not the dominant trend, nor will they be. It's only getting more and more obvious. For whatever reason, Apple doesn't seem all that motivated to put priority on development for Logic. That's a shame. A better question might be, "When is Apple going to release a major update to Logic?" That may have more impact on what happens in the future with Sonar than anything else.

Brad Russell 
    www.bradrussellmusic.org

rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/19 18:57:34 (permalink)
    No but it is about time that the two most prominent operating systems in the world be redesigned to run all applications. I mean we went to the moon with the equivalent of a digital watch.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/19 18:59:05 (permalink)
    Brad Russell

Yeah, yeah...great. I get it. Cakewalk made its choice a long time ago. They are committed to their platform. Great. The point is not that I got a Mac. The point is...The WORLD is getting a Mac. Again, yeah, the touch integration in Win8 is awesome. That's probably one reason I'm not going to see Lion (and now Mountain Lion) support for my control surface that was advertised to work on OSX. Here's the bigger question there: Do you think touch screen is the way of the future in the Pro Audio world? Is everyone just going to put a touch screen in the middle of their work flow? I don't see it happening, at least not for a long while. Of course, as you've already made clear, I could be wrong.

On your other point: If Cakewalk were a division of Microsoft I might see your point here, but Cakewalk, last time I checked is competing in the DAW market. Clearly, Windows based DAWs are not the dominant trend, nor will they be. It's only getting more and more obvious. For whatever reason, Apple doesn't seem all that motivated to put priority on development for Logic. That's a shame. A better question might be, "When is Apple going to release a major update to Logic?" That may have more impact on what happens in the future with Sonar than anything else.

Man your post makes me think what a very insightful person. You got all that I was saying seemingly with ease. I also like the way you can discuss this without any angst. You deserve a better posting than I can deliver. No wonder you are one of the old guard. We joined at the same time.

I don't see a problem with touch being in a studio because at some point it will be hard to fine a non touch display. Apple may be doing very well but MS is still the no. 1 in OS deployment. When MS puts out a new OS they do so in the millions. Apple only in hundred of thousands.

The market for an OS is dominated and near controlled by MS. That is not going to change any time soon. Without Apple MS would be in real trouble because they would be seen as a monopoly.

You can bet MS does not want Apple to go anywhere. You can also bet that a touch screen is in your future.  

Best
    John
    BlixYZ
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/19 19:51:32 (permalink)
    i want them to do it.   i dont even know if i would buy a mac.  i just think it would be a boon for a company i love.   i dont see the down side.  i think mac users would embrace sonar.  the more i think about it, its crazy not to.
    Brad Russell
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/19 23:00:45 (permalink)
    BlixYZ

i want them to do it.   i dont even know if i would buy a mac.  i just think it would be a boon for a company i love.   i dont see the down side.  i think mac users would embrace sonar.  the more i think about it, its crazy not to.

Yeah, It seems really obvious to me.

Brad Russell 
    www.bradrussellmusic.org

Brad Russell
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/19 23:37:16 (permalink)
    Man your post makes me think what a very insightful person. You got all that I was saying seemingly with ease. I also like the way you can discuss this without any angst. You deserve a better posting than I can deliver. No wonder you are one of the old guard. We joined at the same time. 

I don't see a problem with touch being in a studio because at some point it will be hard to fine a non touch display. Apple may be doing very well but MS is still the no. 1 in OS deployment. When MS puts out a new OS they do so in the millions. Apple only in hundred of thousands. 

The market for an OS is dominated and near controlled by MS. That is not going to change any time soon. Without Apple MS would be in real trouble because they would be seen as a monopoly. You can bet MS does not want Apple to go anywhere. You can also bet that a touch screen is in your future.  

Yeah, I've been around here for a long time. It's funny that I joined the forum so long ago but have so few posts. I'm not all that insightful, sometime downright obtuse. I remember you well, John. There doesn't seem to be all that many of us around anymore. 

I suppose you're right about touch displays. Apple is either really late to the party there or they've just made a gamble that it will not be a factor with their customers. Probably the latter, since they don't seem to miss much. When you say Apple only sells in the hundreds of thousands, I'm not following you. In 2012, Apple sold 4 million Macs in Q3 and 4 million again in Q4. Each of those machines obviously shipped with OSX. Now, I know that 8 million units is far less than the 60 million units sold of Win 8 MS has sold since October, but when you consider Apple's growth in the new computer sales category, It seems that ultimately MS OS marketshare is declining (especially in the subset of the pro market). For Cakewalk (it would seem to me) the pro audio market would be the most important sector to consider. 

All in all, I guess you're right. It comes down to the fact that the world doesn't revolve around me. Companies make value based decisions regarding this stuff, and Cakewalk, up to this point has not placed value upon competing with OSX based DAWS. If that makes my life harder, I've got a simple choice to make. Stinks tho. What makes it more problematic is the fact that Apple seems bent on focusing on the consumer market, and innovations for the pro market have taken a back seat, hence, no updated MacPro and no Logic Pro X. May be time to start looking for options. One thing is for sure, after the last few days of "tweaking" my Windows set up, I am ready to get away from the MS world. All the security updates and rebooting. I had forgotten how much time I wasted waiting on my computer.

Brad Russell 
    www.bradrussellmusic.org

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/20 00:03:06 (permalink)
      One thing you haven't brought into this conversation is the Roland factor. It seems to me even though Roland and CW have been close for a very long time now that they own CW it would seem better for them if their software were cross platform. They support Apple just as much as they do Windows so it would seem likely CW may get some pressure from Roland to port. 

So I don't believe its a sure thing that CW wont at some point go both ways.

Somehow talking with a rational Mac user is more fun then I ever thought.  

You need to post a lot more.

Best
    John
    cyclops
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/20 00:53:53 (permalink)
    Wow!  Good discussion :)

I used to use Cakewalk between Pro Audio 7 all the way up until about Sonar 7.  At that point, a Mac and OS X entered my orbit.  Logic didn't do it for me, and I always wanted Sonar on the Mac.  Studio One seems to be my 'stop gap' software.

You guys bring up a good point.  Roland as a company supports both OS X and Windows.  They'd be fools not to.  But, the recording software that they own only does Windows.  That's probably a pretty big strike against them right now.  Look at Yamaha / Steinberg, Presonus, or Avid / M-Audio (yes, I know they split up).  Everyone else bundles a DAW that runs on both OS X and Windows.  Heck, even MOTU ported Digital Performer to Windows, and that's been a heavily entrenched OS X DAW.

If I had to guess, I bet Cakewalk is working on an OS X version.  They are the only remaining single platform DAW out there.  Even SoundForge went OS X.  Roland needs to have it work on both platforms for their hardware bundles.

If Sonar for OS X shows up... I'll buy it.  :)
    mmorgan
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/20 15:18:39 (permalink)

I don't have anything against Macs but I have a hard time understanding the business logic that would drive a decision to port Sonar to Macs OS. My thinking on this is that it would be illogical to think of the existing Mac DAW user base (PT, Logic, QB etc) to spend the money, and take the time, to learn/move to Sonar. I would guess most of the sales would come from younger users who seem to have other options that may be more appropriate for the music they seem interested in developing.

And it isn't that I'm against the idea...I'm for anything that would make Cakewalk as successful as possible. That said I feel that Cakewalk would be better served using their limited resources to improving the product.

The one other comment I have is based on what I read in the other forums for the DAWs I use Macs are not, apparently, in possession of their much vaunted 'greater stability' meme.

Lastly, and this is just personal mind you, were Cakewalk to do the port as a PC user (and software dev) I would have no inclination to make the move to a Mac.

Regards,

Mike

Win8(64), Sonar X3e(64) w/ RME Fireface UFX.
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/20 15:56:55 (permalink)
    I'm more interested in recording with a class compliant interface using Linux. I love the idea of using any laptop anywhere and my portable drive and portable interface to make a great recording. 

Ubuntu!!

smiles.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/current_audio_gear

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13494

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/20 16:16:14 (permalink)
    BlixYZ

I'm with ya James.
    Brad brings up a valid point. I know that If I were a software developer/vendor I'd want as many people as possible to have the option to use it.
    In this day and age all software should run on all platforms.

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    pbognar
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/20 16:55:01 (permalink)
    What mmorgan said.
    pbognar
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/20 16:56:04 (permalink)
    What mmorgan said.
    Brad Russell
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/20 17:51:48 (permalink)
    I don't have anything against Macs but I have a hard time understanding the business logic that would drive a decision to port Sonar to Macs OS. My thinking on this is that it would be illogical to think of the existing Mac DAW user base (PT, Logic, QB etc) to spend the money, and take the time, to learn/move to Sonar. I would guess most of the sales would come from younger users who seem to have other options that may be more appropriate for the music they seem interested in developing.

The thing is, there is a bit of an opportunity presented right now in the OSX Daw market. People are becoming increasingly discontent with Logic because Apple appears to be so unmotivated to update it's feature set. They finally gave us 64 bit support, but there has been no significant UI improvement, metering in Logic is not very good, and many Logic users hate to edit audio in the program. It has been nearly 4 years since their last major update. There is a real opportunity for Cakewalk there. Where are people supposed to look? Most opt for Cubase, but I hate to even look at Cubase. Reaper is nice, but I prefer a DAW with more creative tools. Pro Tools? Nope. Digital Performer...maybe. I just feel like I've stepped back in time when I use it. Then there is Ableton. Cool but not my cup of tea. Reason...same opinion there. PreSonus is competing well, but I think if Cakewalk entered the OSX market, lots of people would look their way.

Brad Russell 
    www.bradrussellmusic.org

lapieuvre
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/20 18:04:31 (permalink)
    I totally agree with you BRAD RUSSELL. I live the same thing. I tried to resist as much as I could not to get a MAC in this industry, but I was almost forced to, because everybody around me used a MAC. So I did the same, bought a MAC. Now I use Sonar X1 for my personnal projects, but as soon as I do things for work, I use my MAC laptop. I don't need to say that X1 is my last purchase of Sonar. I currently use my Mac laptop all the time. I have bootcamp with Sonar on the other side, but it's a pain to switch virtual machines. I WOULD BUY X2 FOR OSX THE DAY IT WOULD RELEASE... but for now, Cakewalk, don't expect any more dough from me.

Win 7 64 bits, Intel core2 quad Q9550 (2.83ghz)
    Fireface 800, Sonar X1 Producer
    Live 8 Suite, Kontakt 4

Brad Russell
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/20 23:10:12 (permalink)
    One thing you haven't brought into this conversation is the Roland factor. It seems to me even though Roland and CW have been close for a very long time now that they own CW it would seem better for them if their software were cross platform. They support Apple just as much as they do Windows so it would seem likely CW may get some pressure from Roland to port.  So I don't believe its a sure thing that CW wont at some point go both ways.

Good point, John. It would seem Roland would have particular interest in tapping into the OSX market. 

Somehow talking with a rational Mac user is more fun then I ever thought.  

Well, I guess you can chalk that up to years of being a devoted PC user 

Always good talking to you, John. I saw the sad news about our old friend Billy Arnell. He was a great guy.

Brad Russell 
    www.bradrussellmusic.org

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/20 23:32:41 (permalink)
    I'm sure they aren't doing it out of principle or anything. It's business. Think of it from a Director's point of view. What is the COST of making this change? What RETURN will it bring? What is the RISK associated? I bet they have done any alalysis on this and it's obviously not finaciably feasable at the moment with the current level of risk that they are willing to take. Chances are, they are being on the cautious side. The are a smaller sized company in the scheme of things after all. They don't have money to throw around.

What would it cost? Cake spends a year going from X1 to X2 (not to even mention updates). How many programmers does that take? I have no idea, but lets go with 20. Now, all of cake's programmers have an expertise in Windows DAW programming. You;re gonna need new staff. Who is good at programming DAW software in MAC? Well, other companies probably have those guys already. You need to poach them. With what? Money. You need to OUTBID the other companies to get some quality staff who have experience with this side of things. What if there is company loyalty? You need to factor in more cash for that. Do they need to move interstate? More money.

So we need 20 programmers, each is going to cost a LOT. Let's say that want $150,000. I don't know if that's realistic, but we'll go with that number. X1 took 2 years. So building a new DAW from SCRATCH with MANY hurdles and problems to resolve will be hard. Maybe it's gonna take 2 years? OK, spare $6 million anyone?

Oh but wait, nothing's going to sell without marketing. Marketing is usually the biggest expense. Don't know if that's the case here, but we'll just call it $4 million cause you're gonna need lots of ads in mags, internet, promotional expos, everything. It's a lot.

$10,000,000. But we need more admin staff now to handle calls. We need to train the tech support to be able to handle mac issues as well. That's gonna cost. Plus all of those hidden costs. New office space. Office computers. Stationary. Accounting staff. It's a lot. But we'll keep the $10 million for now.

Now we need to sell some copies! Some people will already own SONAR of PC, so they get an upgrade price. Some people won't buy producer, so that's cheaper. Let's go with $200 on average. How many units do we need to sell? 50,000. We need to sell 50,000 copies to mac users to get back to zero. Ah, but we took out a $10,000,000 loan to pay for this, right? Now to cover interest, we are more like 60,000 sales.

Now we have broken even. We still have not made a CENT after 60,000 sales.

Will we make 60,000 sales in a year? Don't know. There is a probability factor involved with that. If cake wants to take risks, maybe go for it. If they are sitting on the more conservative side of things, that might be a really big risk to take.

Now I don't have any idea if those numbers are near realistic or not. They might be much lower and might be much higher. But you need to look at this from their eyes. If they haven't done it now, they've probably done a similar (albeit much more complex) analysis to what I just did up there and it is not FINANCIALLY feasible for the level of RISK that they are willing to take.

If they decide to take on a higher risk, OR the market shows a change and lots more demand for a MAC version, they just might do it. But most people I speak to have never heard of SONAR. They know Cubase, Logic, ProTools, Garage Band, Audacity etc. Rarely do I find someone who has heard of SONAR. It's just not as well known out there which makes the marketing costs even more.

It's just not as simple as "it makes sense, surely heaps would buy it?"

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 10:26:02 (permalink)
    the pc market is 10x that of the mac market, and while everyone would wish to argue that in professional (ie fee paying and earning studios) music production the ratio may be 50/50 (a guess), the majority (in volume) of DAW sales are, by observation, clearly from home hobbyists... so my guess is that the served available market for PC based DAW is probably 7-8x that of MAC based...

So.. on a level field then, a MAC based Sonar would garner 1/7th the revenue.. but heres the rub.. anyone currently mac only and involved in music production already has a DAW... so you are limited to converts (many factors against that....incremental cost, learning curve, loss of projects, inertia & comfort factor), and to new users (many factors against that...free garageband, low rate of MAC sales, competitive basis vs cubase logic etc etc).. conclusion.. the take up rate for a MAC Sonar would be long low and slow.

therefore I simply dont see any ROI for such a port.. any additional $MM R&D investment over all current work (which i assume is simply not available in current economic climes) would provide far better ROI being applied against current x2 and x3 development ..whether stability, features, enhancements etc..

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    Lemonboy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 10:55:22 (permalink)
    As both a long time Sonar user and long time Mac user, I would like to see Sonar ported to OSX. I've just ordered an new Macbook Pro, but I doubt whether I will load up Windows/bootcamp on it which means I'll stick with Logic and it will be bye bye Sonar unless I really need Sonar and boot up my old machine (which is getting long in the tooth). I think in a lot of ways Sonar is superior to Logic but I can get the job done in Logic and who knows maybe there will be a Logic upgrade around the corner.  
    Would I buy Sonar if it was ported to OSX?  Not sure. It would depend on the cost, but if I shall do some work on a few old songs in Sonar in the next couple of weeks and see if I miss it!

Andy  

stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 11:31:02 (permalink)
    I think Matt and Mystic have got it right - porting an application to a different OS is a major undertaking, one that requires a good estimated ROI. 

Back in the 90's, the company I work for used to support Windows, MAC, Unix, Sparc, etc.   Around 2000 they made an official statement that they were going Windows only due to A) A big downward slope in the number of engineers using these other OS', and B) The cost in developing for multiple OS'.  So what I've experienced first-hand is the opposite, though the end result was the same: more $$ into the products themselves vs. support multiple platforms.

At the time the company when Windows only it was around $250m gross, or so.   Today it's over $500m.   So yeah, it was certainly the right decision.

FWIW... the exception over the last two years has been for mobile OS', mainly iOS and droid.  But that's an entirely different market/usage, and most of these are still using Windows machines when back in the office.

Just my $.03 on why CW may not be pushing for a MAC version... insufficient ROI.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 11:43:18 (permalink)
    I think you make some very good points Steve.

Best
    John
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 11:59:46 (permalink)
    I don't see it happening. Cakewalk is a small company (total of 65 employees last time I checked) and they would have to double their development and help desk staff to support an Apple image. Windows still has 92% of the PC market compared to Apple's 6%. I don't see a return on that investment.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    ronkenobi
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 12:09:44 (permalink)
    no, why?
    Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 12:35:02 (permalink)
    Excuse me for jumping in, but it's also becoming less important for Cakewalk to bother with a Mac version..

I am currently using a Mac Pro boot camped to Win7Pro with no problems and I've been told that ther are others using 3rd party software a to run Sonar while running OSX...

Now others are working at applying Wineskin and the likes to make this evn more simple and productive...

Maybe the solution is no longer necessarily in the hands of the program developers and will shortly run on either platform to begin with.

We're all seeing how both OS's are adapting many of each others characteristics and I'm currently thinking that we will soon see both of them running either platform's programs natively...

So I'm guessing that MS & Apple will be the one's to solve the issue at last...

It seems to be in either/both of their' best interests to do so...

I have and use both platforms and don't see a reason for the two not to find this common ground...

Just my 2 cents...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    pbognar
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 12:45:48 (permalink)

My understanding of Sonar is that it is tightly integrated with the Windows OS.  I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is a total abstraction layer which separates the Sonar application from the OS upon which it resides.  Such a layer would simplify portability between different OS's.

I don't know enough about Logic and Cubase, but both had their origins on the Atari platform and were ported to both Mac and Windows.  The only conclusion one can draw is that they were designed / written with portability in mind.

With Studio One, one of the primary devs developed Cubase, so you can draw your own conclusions of it's ability for dual platform support.

I was surprised by an OSX version of REAPER - but by the time this was written, I'm sure the designers realized that linking up with a single OS was probably not a great idea.

Pro Tools on Mac and Windows - I'm not familiar with the history behind that.

Ablelton Live - also not familiar with its history, but the app was supposedly written entirely in C++.

We still don't have a Windows version of Digital Performer 8 for Windows - it's about a year late, but if they manage to pull that off, hurray for them.  It would seem that they are reaching out to the more pervasive of the the two OS's.

As mentioned above, if there were to be any business motivation for porting Sonar to OSX, to me, it would seem to be a huge undertaking.  If for some reason Roland would want to have a single DAW presence on OSX and Windows, it would have to be built from the ground up, using some of the intellectual content the have embedded in what we know today as sonar X.

And then there is the mad dash for for a presence on the iPad and other tablets out there, but that is a topic for another thread.

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 12:50:54 (permalink)
    Keni,

I think that would require some emulation mode/abstraction layer. Since latency is so critical in Audio Apps, I'm not sure that even if an emulation mode were created that it would be something I would choose to use.

It would be interesting only if they could do it without increasing latency significantly, and there would be sooo many apps for which millisecond latency wouldn't matter that they software developers might not consider performance a high priority, even if they attempted it.
    post edited by gswitz - 2013/04/21 13:20:20

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 13:13:31 (permalink)
    Count me among the Sonar users who would love to see a Mac version.  I bought my wife a MacBook Air and Thunderbolt Display for Christmas and loved it so much that I bought a MBA for myself earlier this year.  I use it as a sketch pad for scratch tracks using a different cross-platform DAW (Live 9) and I don't see it replacing Sonar/PT on my PC anytime soon, but it would be much easier for me to have Sonar on my Mac.  Yeah, I could use Bootcamp or Parallels, but that sorta defeats the purpose and takes up a good chunk of precious space on my 128 GB SSD.  That said, I put Parallels and Windows 8 on my wife's MBA and it's a pretty slick setup, but she doesn't use it for anything that requires a lot of data storage space.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re:Isn't it Time? Sonar X2 on OSX 2013/04/21 13:19:05 (permalink)
    gswitz

Keni,

I think that would require some emulation mode/abstraction layer. Since latency is so critical in Audio Apps, is critical, I'm not sure that even if an emulation mode were created that it would be something I would choose to use.

It would be interesting only if they could do it without increasing latency significantly, and in there would be sooo many apps for which millisecond latency wouldn't matter that they software developers might not consider performance a high priority, even if they attempted it.

Hi gswitz...

I understand and agree with you to an extent...

I'm certain there is a way for an OS to incorporate both sets of "standards" within their' systems so that there is no need for emulating anything... much...

I mean that the only hardware difference between the two systems is the bootup cache which could easily be resolved by adjusting OSX to bypass the bios cache calls (not sure what they are actually referred to as) for programs that use the OSX-method of file emedded bios and use the MS/bios when a program calls for them... the hardware itself is essentially the same now...

I'm currently running OSX Lion on my OSX bootup and Win7Pro on the Windows bootup (using bootcamp) and I have excellent results with performance...

If not for my displeasure with Lanes and some recurring crashes, I would be totally ecstatic! ;-)

Is this emulation hurting me? I have all the power I could hope for at this time (dual 3.2GHz Xeons/16GBRam) my latency appears excellent even far into complex programs running large numbers of plugins of all kinds..

So even if a company used a method of calling the differences while in the OSX  (as I'm told some now do), the hit on the system is relatively low...

I typically have a project with a dozen stereo tracks containing eq/comp on most, a half dozen Digital reverbs of various kinds, 2-4 large synth models as well as a couple of instances of guitar amp simulators and I can play a third instance with realtime monitoring and not feel any latency....

So I freeze tracks when complete only for safety sake so that I have prints of each track as audio in case of "emergency"... ;-)

Making each OS cross-platform capable is an obvious way of gathering that many more portential users.... Seems a lot more to gain for Apple and maybe that's why they gave us Bootcamp... Going the next step seems both logical and rewarding for them...

Imagine simply loading OSX and being able to install/use any program that's in either camp.... sure would make a lot of changes in the reasons for selecting an OS... eh?

;-)

Just extrapolating outloud... I've never been a Mac fan overall, but specific programs entice me from each OS and it's frustrating to need to switch machines to have the use... It just seems natural that this should happen...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1