Let me know what you think...be honest!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
DSomething
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/08 15:53:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bdfutch

I thought this was cool. I love pinch harmonics. The mix has been critiqued to death, so I'll only tell you music translates and it's not hard to tell that you know what you're doing.
Keep rocking.
Brian

Why thank you!
ed_mcg
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2741
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/08 16:16:01 (permalink)
Wow, excellent song, high energy! I happen to like the lead vox, it has personality /character in these overly quantized days. The guitar squeels, in between the chrunch, are great.

Regarding vox: The level of compression is fine. The clarity is an issue, here's somethings to try: roll off below 300Hz, dip at 750Hz, and one of these: a boost at 2k (adds hardness), 4K (sibilance), 6~8K (brightness / air) - you could try sweep the boost though there to see if one area sounds particularly good. If you decide to go with pitch correction, I'd recommend Melodyne Cre8 (link), it's superior to Autotune and doesn't have PACE.

On the arrangement, the break at 2:47 with the phase get's to light (or 70's groovy) for the song. Maybe just "clean distortion" (Dan's favorite) sound.

Pretty darn impressive.
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/08 16:36:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

Wow, excellent song, high energy! I happen to like the lead vox, it has personality /character in these overly quantized days. The guitar squeels, in between the chrunch, are great.

Regarding vox: The level of compression is fine. The clarity is an issue, here's somethings to try: roll off below 300Hz, dip at 750Hz, and one of these: a boost at 2k (adds hardness), 4K (sibilance), 6~8K (brightness / air) - you could try sweep the boost though there to see if one area sounds particularly good. If you decide to go with pitch correction, I'd recommend Melodyne Cre8 (link), it's superior to Autotune and doesn't have PACE.

On the arrangement, the break at 2:47 with the phase get's to light (or 70's groovy) for the song. Maybe just "clean distortion" (Dan's favorite) sound.

Pretty darn impressive.

Thanks for listening and the advice. I don't really know too much about frequencies (other than what are highs, lows and mids) but don't know what frequencies effect what. I'll definitely keep your frequency suggestions in mind. Glad you liked.
o3layla1
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/08 16:37:10 (permalink)
I liked it a lot , don't know where they get the linkin park thing either , actually more along the lines of alice in chains at times I thought , I like both bands a lot however , but you sound like you , thats the important thing

Sonar 4, Aardvark Q10, Sea Sound Solo EX, Line 6 POD Pro, gigabyte 7nnxp +3200xp AMD

[link=http://www.ourstage.com/profile/electricorangeoxblood]http://www.ourstage.com/p.../electricorangeoxblood[/link]

DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/08 16:44:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: o3layla1

I liked it a lot , don't know where they get the linkin park thing either , actually more along the lines of alice in chains at times I thought , I like both bands a lot however , but you sound like you , thats the important thing

I loooooooooooooooove AnC...especially their harmonies and have no problems saying I use their theory on harmonies in my songs. Can't beat their harmonies! Yeah, don't know about the Linkin Park thing, but hey...it's just an opinion. Glad you were diggin it.
variaxman
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 596
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/08 19:56:03 (permalink)
Hey DSomething,just wanted to say I thought your song was pretty cool!I really like the guitar sounds...so well defined and clear..Kinda sounding like TOOL to me at times.I thought your vocals perfect for this song to,to my ears I enjoy a vocal when its done with "heart" over perfect pitch corrected singing...but thats just me.
You Rock!
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/08 20:03:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: variaxman

Hey DSomething,just wanted to say I thought your song was pretty cool!I really like the guitar sounds...so well defined and clear..Kinda sounding like TOOL to me at times.I thought your vocals perfect for this song to,to my ears I enjoy a vocal when its done with "heart" over perfect pitch corrected singing...but thats just me.
You Rock!

Awwww, schucks Thanks!
Abbey
  • Total Posts : 159
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/08 22:41:12 (permalink)
DSomething,

I suffered the same problem of people not being able to distinguish the lyrics…
Who knows...practice will hopefully make perfect.

“I” know, from experience, that “you” are correct.

Voice critique:

You’ve got the God given gift of the voice instrument and you already know from the experience of the guitar that all you have to do is go through the nuisance task of tuning it. It just takes much longer. However, it wasn’t until I found out this piece of information, having had listened to the song prior to reading the posts…
I happen to be a chick and my voice also happens to be very deep for a chick.
…that caused me to sit back in my chair and say, “Wait a minute here, this just might be a very unique niche.” It caused me to think that perhaps you are having difficulty with pronunciation and intonation because you are subconsciously fighting sounding male on the lead vocal. However, the background vocals are most definitely female. Try this experiment… Be a chick who is imitating a male voice on the lead vocal. I’m curious.

Heart of song and guitar critique:

From the lyrics that I can understand… “Despair” is the one that stands out. The guitar is also interpreting this emotion while at the same time is being contrasted by an overcoming power of that despair. Well done! I can critique the guitar no further ‘cause you got it kid and I love your understanding of the “pinch”.
post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/16 16:43:25
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/09 21:42:12 (permalink)

Voice critique:

You’ve got the God given gift of the voice instrument and you already know from the experience of the guitar that all you have to do is go through the nuisance task of tuning it. It just takes much longer. However, it wasn’t until I found out this piece of information, having had listened to the song prior to reading the posts…
I happen to be a chick and my voice also happens to be very deep for a chick.
…that caused me to sit back in my chair and say, “Wait a minute here, this just might be a very unique niche.” It caused me to think that perhaps you are having difficulty with pronunciation and intonation because you are subconsciously fighting sounding male on the lead vocal. However, the background vocals are most definitely female. Try this experiment… Be a chick who is imitating a male voice on the lead vocal. I’m curious.

I have problems with pronunciation cuz I'm originally from NY and can't figure out how to say my 'r's anymore JK (actually, I'm not).

Heart of song and guitar critique:

From the lyrics that I can understand… “Despair” is the one that stands out. The guitar is also interpreting this emotion while at the same time is being contrasted by an overcoming power of that despair. Well done! I can critique the guitar no further ‘cause you got it kid and I love your understanding of the “pinch”.

THANKS! Gotta love the pinch
Abbey
  • Total Posts : 159
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/10 22:43:45 (permalink)
You have caused me ponde_. Hmmmmmm! One moment please while I _ecord my speaking voice and listen back ve_y ve_y ca_efully…

BY GOLLY, you are co_ _ect.

Thank you for c_itiquing New Yo_k State. I’ll t_y to wo_k on that.

I get the feeling that DSomething o_ othe_ is getting a standing ovation on this fo_um.

Looking fo_wa_d to the next one.

THIS IS AN EDIT: When I came back to _ead M_. M's post I was totally shock to see that somehow I managed to type one of the st_aight sho_t thingies with the sqwigely thingy towa_d the top of it. You'll find it somewhe_e (o_ othe_) sho_tly afte_ the two wo_ds that expressed my glee --- "BY GOLLY". I'm so_ _y if my posting caused you o_ anyone else convution. You must fo_give me BECAUSE I'm also dyslexic.

I have problems with pronunciation cuz I'm originally from NY and can't figure out how to say my 'r's anymore

Oh, by the way, I have been listening to your song ove_ and ove_ again in an attempt to deciphe_ just what the song was all about. I now have each and eve_y wo_d figu_ed out with the exception of one and it has me puzzeled[sm=rolleyes.gif]. Pe_haps you can help me out. It sta_ts with a "C" sound and ends with a "Z" sound. You may want to wo_k on that. It just may be that it is due to a p_oblem caused as a _esult of someone in you_ State having simply misspelled one ve_y simple little wo_d. Boy... I su_e hope that it wasn't you. But don't wo_ _y too much. Afte_ a few millions years o_ so, afte_ I have spoken with each and eve_y pe_son in my State in an attempt to help them p_onounce each and eve_y wo_d that contains a short st_aight thingy with some type of squigely thingy somewhe_e towa_ds the top of it, I'm su_e I'll have enough time to help you out with the p_oblem in you_ State. Boy oh boy oh boy I su_e hope that it wasn't you!

post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/16 16:48:47
M
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1516
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/10 23:58:49 (permalink)
Hi, DSomething,

Just chiming in with everyone else. Nice track! Well organized. Loved the guitars. Makes me want to check out a GT6.

I think the latter posters got it right - it's not the vocal compression it's the EQ. The lead voice is too dark compared to the guitars, etc. It needs to be brighter. And I don't think you need a new vocalist, either. You have a unique and aggressive rock voice. For some reason I thought of a modern day Joan Jett as I listened. It's not easy to front that heavy a track, but you're pulling it off.

Trudge on!
M
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/11 02:36:41 (permalink)
This totally OT . but you're email is not working M ...
jeff
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/11 19:37:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Abbey

You have caused me ponde_. Hmmmmmm! One moment please while I _ecord my speaking voice and listen back ve_y ve_y ca_efully…

BY GOLLY, you are co_ _ect.

Thank you for c_itiquing New Yo_k State. I’ll t_y to wo_k on that.

I get the feeling that DSomething o_ othe_ is getting a standing ovation on this fo_um.

Looking fo_wa_d to the next one.

THIS IS AN EDIT: When I came back to _ead M_. M's post I was totally shock to see that somehow I managed to type one of the st_aight sho_t thingies with the sqwigely thingy towa_d the top of it. You'll find it somewhe_e (o_ othe_) sho_tly afte_ the two wo_ds that expressed my glee --- "BY GOLLY". I'm so_ _y if my posting caused you o_ anyone else convution. You must fo_give me BECAUSE I'm also dyslexic.

I have problems with pronunciation cuz I'm originally from NY and can't figure out how to say my 'r's anymore

Oh, by the way, I have been listening to your song ove_ and ove_ again in an attempt to deciphe_ just what the song was all about. I now have each and eve_y wo_d figu_ed out with the exception of one and it has me puzzeled[sm=rolleyes.gif]. Pe_haps you can help me out. It sta_ts with a "C" sound and ends with a "Z" sound. You may want to wo_k on that. It just may be that it is due to a p_oblem caused as a _esult of someone in you_ State having simply misspelled one ve_y simple little wo_d. Boy... I su_e hope that it wasn't you. But don't wo_ _y too much. Afte_ a few millions years o_ so, afte_ I have spoken with each and eve_y pe_son in my State in an attempt to help them p_onounce each and eve_y wo_d that contains a short st_aight thingy with some type of squigely thingy somewhe_e towa_ds the top of it, I'm su_e I'll have enough time to help you out with the p_oblem in you_ State. Boy oh boy oh boy I su_e hope that it wasn't you!

I didn't _ealize I just insulted an enti_e state. And, if anyone knows anything about NY the_e is definitely 3 sections...The 5 bo_oughs, the island and what we call "upstate". You, being f_om upstate might not unde_stand that. Actually, I'm not going to sta_t to insult people who found my own pe_sonal insult, to myself I might add...hence it being pe_sonal!, get to them pe_sonally. If my use of the wo_d "cuz" caused you pe_sonal insult I apologize as well.

My lo_d....I was actually just saying thanks fo_ listening and giving you_ feedback...and t_ying to make a joke all the while. I'll _emember not to joke with you anymo_e.[sm=rolleyes.gif]
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/11 19:39:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: M

Hi, DSomething,

Just chiming in with everyone else. Nice track! Well organized. Loved the guitars. Makes me want to check out a GT6.

I think the latter posters got it right - it's not the vocal compression it's the EQ. The lead voice is too dark compared to the guitars, etc. It needs to be brighter. And I don't think you need a new vocalist, either. You have a unique and aggressive rock voice. For some reason I thought of a modern day Joan Jett as I listened. It's not easy to front that heavy a track, but you're pulling it off.

Trudge on!
M

Thanks M!! I've gotten Joan Jett quite a bit in my career. Love that chick..she rocks!
Brad
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 605
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/12 02:54:09 (permalink)
Like it alot.. Very nice guitar crunch...
daverich
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3418
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/13 08:20:52 (permalink)
Hi.

this kicks - I would certainly try adding a little air on the lead vox during the verses - leave it off during the chorus - that's sounding pretty nice as it is. Also I would compress the lead vocal some more - get a little more diction in there.

Nice guitars, the hatz are sounding a little too aired to me - giving them a sythesised feel (you might've been going for that anyway)

Kind regards.

Dave Rich.

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/13 09:55:26 (permalink)
This is a good production. Don't worry about the vocal being too loud for the mix because it isn't. I listened to this at low volume, and the vocal doesn't get drowned out by the guitars like a lot of hard rock/metal music that I hear on the radio today. I believe if you have good lyrics, let them stand out. Many artists tend to bury their lyrics in the instruments because their lyrics aren't strong or they lack confidence in their voice. Also, their's nothing wrong with the way you EQ'd your vocal. I listened to this song on good monitors, and everything you want to hear is present. This is a good effort, and don't let unwarranted criticism knock you for a loop. You go girl!
Lynn
Shintock
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/13 10:38:09 (permalink)
I have nothing more to add, other than a "congrats!" You did a great job!

Cheers,

Andy
smalltimeent
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/13 11:16:31 (permalink)
I dont even like rock but I like your song man. Good job.
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/13 12:07:49 (permalink)
The guitar and bass sound terrific as they are.

The drums could have a little more drama sonically. Some panning could do wonders in that department. I would almost say that you could use more bottom on the kick, but I'm afraid that you'd wind up having a frequency conflict with the bass guitar. It's probably better to err on the less bassy side.

The vocals could be a touch louder and a tiny bit brighter. You could also make them sound more forward by using a very short delay (somewhere between 8-30 ms should do it). You won't hear a slap-back, it will just sound bigger. If you download my free Sonar mixing template you'll find two different "short reverb" sends that would work wonderfully for this.

Good job overall!

Jonas

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/13 18:16:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Brad

Like it alot.. Very nice guitar crunch...

Thanks for listening!
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/13 18:18:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: daverich

Hi.

this kicks - I would certainly try adding a little air on the lead vox during the verses - leave it off during the chorus - that's sounding pretty nice as it is. Also I would compress the lead vocal some more - get a little more diction in there.

Nice guitars, the hatz are sounding a little too aired to me - giving them a sythesised feel (you might've been going for that anyway)

Kind regards.

Dave Rich.

Thanks for taking a listen! Yeah, sometimes I feel the hats are maybe too loud even but I like the hats at that volume. It might be too much reverb on the hats as well?
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/13 18:20:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Lynn

This is a good production. Don't worry about the vocal being too loud for the mix because it isn't. I listened to this at low volume, and the vocal doesn't get drowned out by the guitars like a lot of hard rock/metal music that I hear on the radio today. I believe if you have good lyrics, let them stand out. Many artists tend to bury their lyrics in the instruments because their lyrics aren't strong or they lack confidence in their voice. Also, their's nothing wrong with the way you EQ'd your vocal. I listened to this song on good monitors, and everything you want to hear is present. This is a good effort, and don't let unwarranted criticism knock you for a loop. You go girl!
Lynn

Awwwwwww schucks! You're making me blush Thanks for the pep talk as well! Did you like the lyrics? Some people have told me they're cliche at times (and I can see that) but I meant every word of 'em.
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/13 18:22:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: smalltimeent

I dont even like rock but I like your song man. Good job.

Thank you very much for the listen.
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/13 18:26:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jsaras

The guitar and bass sound terrific as they are.

The drums could have a little more drama sonically. Some panning could do wonders in that department. I would almost say that you could use more bottom on the kick, but I'm afraid that you'd wind up having a frequency conflict with the bass guitar. It's probably better to err on the less bassy side.

The vocals could be a touch louder and a tiny bit brighter. You could also make them sound more forward by using a very short delay (somewhere between 8-30 ms should do it). You won't hear a slap-back, it will just sound bigger. If you download my free Sonar mixing template you'll find two different "short reverb" sends that would work wonderfully for this.

Good job overall!

Jonas

For the drums I used the SR-16 so there was a bit of panning going on. I even repanned them during mix-down. Guess they weren't spread enough. As for the vocals, I actually did have a quick delay going on but mixed at a very low volume. I was trying to get the effect of what you are talking about. Maybe I just mixed that effect too low? There was also a slight reverb on the vocals for some air. And, i agree, the vocals could stand to be a bit brighter.

Thanks for listening and the advice.
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/13 18:32:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Shintock

I have nothing more to add, other than a "congrats!" You did a great job!

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks for taking your time and listening. Much appreciated.
jsaras
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/14 00:18:57 (permalink)
I've taken the liberty of doing a quickie EQ job on your song, which can be heard HERE

This sample isn't meant to represent what a mastered version would sound like. Its purpose is to get you to reevaluate your mix EQ decisions.

BTW, I know how picky guitar players can get about their guitar tones and you may feel that I mucked it up completely!

Cheers,
Jonas

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/14 01:45:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jsaras

I've taken the liberty of doing a quickie EQ job on your song, which can be heard HERE

This sample isn't meant to represent what a mastered version would sound like. Its purpose is to get you to reevaluate your mix EQ decisions.

BTW, I know how picky guitar players can get about their guitar tones and you may feel that I mucked it up completely!

Cheers,
Jonas

What did you use on that? Did you compress it as well? I kept getting and "in and out" motion thing going on. Like the mix was moving in and out (volume wise). I like what the EQ did to the vocals but, yeah...the guitars sound...well...the punch punches but there's definitely too much scream going on. But seriously, what did you use on it? BBE? I'm curious.
jsaras
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/14 09:53:56 (permalink)
I only used EQ, really! The EQ curve that I used looked like the letter "M": two bumps on either end of the frequency spectrum and a dip in the middle. It's very typical of a lot of the metal music that comes thru here theses days. Part of what you're hearing may due to the song being encoded to MP3 twice.

Sorry about the "scream". I've been fighting a nasty flu thing for the last 5 days and my hearing is a little messed up, so I knew I wouldn't get the EQ 100% right. I probably won't be fit to master for several more days.

RLD
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1990
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/14 20:15:55 (permalink)
Hey D,
Nice job all around...Guitars sound huge and I'm suprised thats a GT-6...
There is an almost too pure of a distortion sound to them...but I like it...
reminds me of something but I can't place it...
I have a GT-3 that I used on stage, but not for recording, prefering a POD...
Could you give a little info on the patch you used?...
Maybe even send it to me?...ha ha...I'd like to play around with my GT-3 if I could get that sound...
Do you know if a GT-3 will take GT-6 patch info?

Thanks,

RLD
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1