Let me know what you think...be honest!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
DSomething
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/14 23:56:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RLD

Hey D,
Nice job all around...Guitars sound huge and I'm suprised thats a GT-6...
There is an almost too pure of a distortion sound to them...but I like it...
reminds me of something but I can't place it...
I have a GT-3 that I used on stage, but not for recording, prefering a POD...
Could you give a little info on the patch you used?...
Maybe even send it to me?...ha ha...I'd like to play around with my GT-3 if I could get that sound...
Do you know if a GT-3 will take GT-6 patch info?

Thanks,

RLD

I have no idea if the GT-3 can take a GT-6 patch. I know this is probably going to come off as egotistical but I am one of those guitar players who does not like to tell other guitar players how to dial in my sound. I know...that sounds like a real ****y thing to say...I admit it whole-heartedly. I've taken a long time to develop my sound and I really like it. You are not the first person to ask me about my sound either. Even when I play live I have people asking me what am I using (and it is NOT the gt-6). I've even gone so far as to pull the kobs off my head so no one can know what the settings were. Yes, it was that bad...people were taking pictures of my gear!!!!!! NOt only that, when I quit my old band the other guitar player went out and bought the same head and my old cabinet just to get my sound!!!!!!

What I will tell you is that it was a GT-6...one of the first 10 distortion settings in the unit (if you go through the patches). BUT...I did tweak it out a bit..only a little. I use a 5150 (modified) on stage and tried to get my stage sound through the GT-6...if that helps you any as well.

I know we are all here to help everyone and I honestly don't mind helping with anythng...excpet my actual guitar tone. If you liked the clean guitar I chose that was a patch in the gt-6 too. I didn't tweak that patch at all and it's the first phaser patch (i forget the name off-hand) if you go through the patches.

Thanks for listening to the tune and I'm glad you were liking what you heard
RLD
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1990
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/15 11:06:35 (permalink)
You're right, this forum is about helping others and I have to say you are the first person I've seen with that kind of response...but that certainly is your prerogative.
Is your identity as a player threatened if someone else were to use that patch in another song?...I wouldn't think so...
Most of the great players I've known or chatted with right here on this site, are more than happy to answer questions on how they do what they do.
Its not the equipment one uses...you and I would still sound different using the same exact setup...its in our hands and fingers, heart and mind...
No big deal though...Good luck.

RLD
tazman
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2435
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/15 12:55:13 (permalink)
Great song and great guitarmanship (or should that be guitarwomanship). I take it form the pic that you are playing a Les Paul on this song?
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/15 16:25:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RLD

You're right, this forum is about helping others and I have to say you are the first person I've seen with that kind of response...but that certainly is your prerogative.
Is your identity as a player threatened if someone else were to use that patch in another song?...I wouldn't think so...
Most of the great players I've known or chatted with right here on this site, are more than happy to answer questions on how they do what they do.
Its not the equipment one uses...you and I would still sound different using the same exact setup...its in our hands and fingers, heart and mind...
No big deal though...Good luck.

RLD

I answer any and every question about production, mixing, recording techniques...everything....just not how to get my guitar sound. It's just something I'd like to hold dear to me is all. I agree, the hands, the fingers, the style..it a ll makes a difference in how the guitars sound but since we're talking digital that's not necessarily true.

Honestly, I did tell you enough in my ealier post for you to figure out which patch it was and if you listen to the song (and know how to tweak a setting) you should be able to get the sound you're hearing.
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/15 16:27:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tazman

Great song and great guitarmanship (or should that be guitarwomanship). I take it form the pic that you are playing a Les Paul on this song?

You got it! Les Paul..my baby. I love the guitar..plays like a dream. Thanks for listening and the comments...much appreciated
Abbey
  • Total Posts : 159
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/15 17:47:42 (permalink)
I agree, the hands, the fingers, the style..it a ll makes a difference in how the guitars sound but since we're talking digital that's not necessarily true.

You're right DSomething Or Other. You could put your guitar and sound techniques in someone elses hands and they will not be able to pull off your style simply because they don't have your hands. However, keep holding dear to that sound. IT'S YOUR'S AND ONLY YOUR'S.

By the way... I've been away from my office for the last six days and when I came into my office this afternoon and opened my email, I found it was flooded with Sonar forum links that were pointing back to you. You're becoming my favorite"SPAM"!

I feeling that you already know this, but allow me to state it anyway. Down through the years [of which there have been many in my case] I have watched musician after musician loose contact with the heart by making the mistake of allowing ego to strangulate the blood flow between their hands and the heart. I've payed close attention to all posts throughout this SPAM session and you've display the necessary humility to keep it all in check. So I guess that this part of my post is directed towards any of those who come to this post but still have the inexperience due to their youth in the business of writing and/ or performing. Keep that ego in check and you’ll never and you’ll never loose touch with the infinite number songs that speak the abstract language that is unique to you, individually, and only you.
post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/17 13:38:13
Abbey
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/15 21:18:40 (permalink)
My lo_d....I was actually just saying thanks fo_ listening and giving you_ feedback...and t_ying to make a joke all the while. I'll _emember not to joke with you anymo_e.

DSomething,

Please re-read my original post and understand that I got a BIG KICK about your noticing NY's accent. It was by no means a return insult. In fact I was laughing hysterically all while writing it. I used to play in a group that was a comedy routine and we used to have a blast with inside jokes. I sometimes forget that people don't know who I am.

RE-READ RE-READ RE-READ

post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/16 16:56:19
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/15 21:46:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Abbey
By the way... I've been away from my office for the last six days and when I came into my office this afternoon and opened my email, I found it was flooded with Sonar forum links that were pointing back to you. You're becoming my favorite piece of "SPAM"!

I honestly don't know what you're talking about. You must have the "notify me via email when someone replies" box checked. I never get messages in my email about this forum. Geez, I apologize but I only responded to you that one time....then this response. So, you should only have gotten 2 responses from ME.

I feeling that you already know this, but allow me to state it anyway. Down through the years [of which there have been many in my case] I have watched musician after musician loose contact with the heart by making the mistake of allowing ego to strangulate the blood flow between their hands and the heart. I've payed close attention to all posts throughout this SPAM session and you've display the necessary humility to keep it all in check. So I guess that this part of my post is directed towards any of those who come to this post but still have the inexperience due to their youth in the business of writing and/ or performing. Keep that ego in check and you’ll never and you’ll never loose touch with the infinite number songs that speak the abstract language that is unique to you, individually, and only you.

I think that was a compliment? Thank you?
Dazed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 665
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/15 21:47:50 (permalink)
very cool track. I thought your mix was excellent although I say bring the vocals up!

I enjoyed it.
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/15 21:57:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dazed

very cool track. I thought your mix was excellent although I say bring the vocals up!

I enjoyed it.

Thanks for listening! I keep getting, "your vocals are too upfront, bring 'em down" and "raise up the vocals". I'm going to start to make a chart and whoever wins out is what I'm going to do Your vote was tallied. Glad you were diggin it!
Abbey
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/15 21:57:36 (permalink)
First... I was quoting from someone else's post to you. Second... I have my profile set up so that I receive all emails from everyone. Third... You obviously will never understand my sense of humor.

I promise you that I will never click on or post to your links again because you are obviously view my posts as a harassment.

And yes, every thing that I have said to you was a compliment!

Goodbye and God Bless
post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/16 16:58:03
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/15 22:00:53 (permalink)

First... I was quoting from someone else's post to you. Second... I have my profile set up so that I receive all emails from everyone. Third... You obviously will never understand my sense of humor.

I promise you that I will never click on or post to your links again.

And yes, every thing that I have said to you was a compliment!

Goodbye and God Bless

Sound of the Abbey

Awwwww...don't let this be goodbye. I think we have an understanding now. OK, maybe I have an understanding now Don't leave me Abbey....what would I do without you??????...and your dry, very dry sense of humor PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME
Abbey
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/15 22:18:41 (permalink)
PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME

Okay, I'm back and happy once again.
post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/16 16:59:05
Fat Dog Studio
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/16 00:01:40 (permalink)
Hey, Didn't I hear this on another site?. I could swear I reviewed this song. Very good recording. Powerful sound. I would agree on the vocals pitch comment but add...don't get discouraged by the criticism. Your voice sounds good and harmonies are cool. Just needs some polishing up in the pitch. Hell, your doing everything else quite well I'm sure you'll have the vocals mastered in no time. I do everything myself also. One man band is very rewarding. Here is a cool site that helps me with vocal strengthening. It has free video vocal exercises that you can watch and practice with. Vocal exercises
Are you playing real drums as well?
Did I hear you on mixposure? If not you should post tunes there as well. Here is my song page on mixposure if you care to listen. Not hard rock but.....what the hey.
Mixposure
post edited by Fat Dog Studio - 2005/03/16 00:05:48
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/16 15:06:36 (permalink)

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME

Okay, I'm back and happy once again.

Yah!!!!!!!!!!!!
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/16 15:08:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fat Dog Studio

Hey, Didn't I hear this on another site?. I could swear I reviewed this song. Very good recording. Powerful sound. I would agree on the vocals pitch comment but add...don't get discouraged by the criticism. Your voice sounds good and harmonies are cool. Just needs some polishing up in the pitch. Hell, your doing everything else quite well I'm sure you'll have the vocals mastered in no time. I do everything myself also. One man band is very rewarding. Here is a cool site that helps me with vocal strengthening. It has free video vocal exercises that you can watch and practice with. Vocal exercises
Are you playing real drums as well?
Did I hear you on mixposure? If not you should post tunes there as well. Here is my song page on mixposure if you care to listen. Not hard rock but.....what the hey.
Mixposure

Yeah, I'm on Mixposure. You probably heard me over there. Thanks for listening again! I checked out that vocal exercise site you left. Great site! Very useful. I'm definitely going to try that out.
mixposure.com
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/20 21:11:02 (permalink)
Hey gents,

Thanks a lot for joining Mixposure. :)

Hope you are having a good time.

RockMaestro
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1245
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/20 22:21:20 (permalink)
That is a chick singing? (There's no appropriate emoticon for this one)

Wow. I love it. It hits pretty close to my favorite genre.

I can't say much about the mix, because I've got really cheesey speakers with me at the moment, but what I can hear sounds alright. I'd vote for making the vocal louder, the drums louder and the guitars quieter.

I think the transition to the quiet bridge section is disjointed and too sudden.

But overall, it rocks like Mount Everest.
mwalter
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/21 10:06:57 (permalink)
Love this. I love heavy stuff with a distinct melody and structure. Vocals are really a nice mix of modern and old-school harmonies. Recording is outstanding. Very nice job.
sfripp
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 665
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/21 10:45:59 (permalink)
Well done! Your voice has a lot of character, love the grit!...its one of those things I've never been able to achieve! The guitars are awsome and inspiring and make me want to just plug-in now and dial the amp..and well...wake the neighborhood up!......Could you post the lyrics to you song please?

E6600 Core2Duo, 2gigC4 corsair,
Asus P5B, LynxII, 3xWD250Gig SATAII
BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
Abbey
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/21 15:42:28 (permalink)
Hello DSomething,

I would like to extend to you an invitation to "The Mighty Joust" this is the first hint.

JA

This is an EDIT: The AbbeyDigitalArts.com site just went down do to a maintainance cycle failure. DON'T DOWNLOAD YET until the problem is fixed. I let you know when we are up and running again.
post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/22 05:56:57
pilfa
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 410
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/21 15:56:02 (permalink)
I love my rock n roll and this does kick. Good guitar playing. Strong vocals like it.....have you got any more tunes?

\m/

Abbey
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/21 16:58:11 (permalink)
Okay DSomething,

Everything on my site is now fixed. You may now download "The Mighty Joust"

If this post sounds confusing. Please read my privous one above the pilfa post.

And don't yell at me this time.

Jeff Abbey

This is yet another edit: Never mindI went a broke it again. But give it a shot anyway.
post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/22 05:59:08
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/21 21:43:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RockMaestro

That is a chick singing? (There's no appropriate emoticon for this one)

Wow. I love it. It hits pretty close to my favorite genre.

I can't say much about the mix, because I've got really cheesey speakers with me at the moment, but what I can hear sounds alright. I'd vote for making the vocal louder, the drums louder and the guitars quieter.

I think the transition to the quiet bridge section is disjointed and too sudden.

But overall, it rocks like Mount Everest.

Yeah, it's a chick singing. Thanks for listening and expressing your opinion! Much appreciated.
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/21 21:44:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mwalter

Love this. I love heavy stuff with a distinct melody and structure. Vocals are really a nice mix of modern and old-school harmonies. Recording is outstanding. Very nice job.

Why thank you very much
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/21 21:58:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sfripp

Well done! Your voice has a lot of character, love the grit!...its one of those things I've never been able to achieve! The guitars are awsome and inspiring and make me want to just plug-in now and dial the amp..and well...wake the neighborhood up!......Could you post the lyrics to you song please?

Awwww...you're going to make me blush Uh, look at that...I'm blushing. I love the grit too! Thanks for the compliment. Glad I could be an inspiration to someone...now go and wake up your neighbors!!!!!!!

Lyrics:
I try to hold on to the now
It seems to block me from
Who I'm meant to be
So I'll become who I am

Disillutioned by the way
The clouds insinuate
And the feelings of despair
I want a life without a care in the world

It's always so hard to be me

Forget about the past and yesterday
Forget about the pain, Hold Me Back
Forget about the tears you cried today
It's the ony thing that seems to Hold Me Back

Struggle to think about a time
I might be satisfied
To believe what I was told
And leave it all behnd

Expectations why I wait
Make me hesitate
And it bothers me to know
I have control over nothing in my life

It's always so hard to be me

Forget about the tears you cried today
It's the only thing that seems to Hold Me Back

Forget About....
I might find that I'm trying to hide
Forget About....
But it always feels cold inside
Forget About....
Everyday I want to close my eyes and...

Forget about the past
Forget about the pain
Only thing that Hold's Me Back

Copyright 2004 (D.)
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/21 22:00:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pilfa

I love my rock n roll and this does kick. Good guitar playing. Strong vocals like it.....have you got any more tunes?

\m/

I have more songs from way back when but I'd rather not post them as I don't think they're up to par. I will be tracking some more real soon though and will be posting them on this forum. Hope you'll check those out as well! Glad you were diggin the tune.
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/21 22:03:43 (permalink)

Okay DSomething,

Everything on my site is now fixed. You may now download "The Mighty Joust"

If this post sounds confusing. Please read my privous one above the pilfa post.

And don't yell at me this time.

Jeff Abbey

This is yet another edit: Never mindI went a broke it again. But give it a shot anyway.

Couldn't download it....but I'm afraid...very afraid
Abbey
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/21 23:56:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DSomething

Couldn't download it....but I'm afraid...very afraid
Don't be affraid...be happy I finally finally finally fixed it.

It seems that I got M a little confused as well. He has already register in and I just got done posting a very long post to him on Abbey Digital Arts. It is a private forum that the public can not view and you must be register if, of course, you are interested. But you can still download the intro file. That's all that it is, an INTRO, at this point and it has a long long long long long long way to go yet.

You're going to have a lot of fun honest, really.

But if you do decide, which you had better or I'll start dropping my "r's" again. Be sure you use your DSomething so that I can give you clearance.

Well, this is another edit again: Now I have to fix my links here on this site so that all locks in.

Last edit: all fixed. But you must click Here now, before I break it again. This is me waiting. Oh bye the way... I've got a lot more smiley thingies then Cakewalk does. Me being a proud of it.
post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/22 06:21:45
DonnyAir
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1201
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/22 11:18:48 (permalink)
Cool guitar sound, nice imaging on them as well. Lead vox are a bit "pitchy", and need a bit more presence.
As far as I'm concerned, drums are the weak point. (I'm picky, I'm a drummer)..
they lack that "ambience" and the hat in particular is choked and sounds like a drum machine. The groove is fine, it's just that the drums need some EQ and "space".

for what it's worth..

Donny
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1