Let me know what you think...be honest!

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
marcoR
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 586
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/22 11:27:09 (permalink)
Sounds like you know exactly what you want out of your guitar tone!

Great arrangement and placing of the guitar parts and I liked your voice too.

Can’t think of much I would change, maybe a touch more bass guitar but that’s just my taste.

Good stuff!
DSomething
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/23 01:09:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: marcoR

Sounds like you know exactly what you want out of your guitar tone!

Great arrangement and placing of the guitar parts and I liked your voice too.

Can’t think of much I would change, maybe a touch more bass guitar but that’s just my taste.

Good stuff!

Thanks for listening and enjoying!
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/23 01:14:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DonnyAir

Cool guitar sound, nice imaging on them as well. Lead vox are a bit "pitchy", and need a bit more presence.
As far as I'm concerned, drums are the weak point. (I'm picky, I'm a drummer)..
they lack that "ambience" and the hat in particular is choked and sounds like a drum machine. The groove is fine, it's just that the drums need some EQ and "space".

for what it's worth..

Donny

It is a drum machine...SR-16. The best I can do but I'm working on better sounds for it. I hate the toms..rarely use them. I agree about the hats..nothing I can do about them though...at least not yet.

For what it's worth????? It's worth a lot to me...you listened and expressed your opinion. It's all I could ever ask for so thanks!
madcow
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/25 14:01:45 (permalink)
D...

Great tune and right up my alley. I think it sounds great except that the vocs are too up front.
Other then that...kick ass! (it's nice to hear some heavier music here:-)

Madcow-Productions
Essex Jct. Vermont
www.madcow-productions.com
Get your Madcow Gear HERE!
newfuturevintage
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1848
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/25 15:39:22 (permalink)
f'n good tune, good f'n mix too. I'm a sucker for anthemic heavy music.

I love the wide mix on the heavy guitars, and like the tonality of your voice...works really well for the style. As for the pitch issues mentioned earlier, I'm not too hung up on those. One of the big travesties for me of current mix technique is over reliance on pitch correction and its associated tonal weirdness.

The only mix points I'd give would be to replace the SR16 tones (well programmed, but kinda thin, but you already knew this). I'd also take that cool swirly, tool-y chorused guitar in the verses and widen it slightly. Either using a stereo chorus or a slight split to get it out of the center of the mix. It's fighting the vox for space a touch.
I'd also like to hear a short stereo delay coming off the lead vocal (very short. like 30-50 ms to the left and 40-70 to the right, very low in the mix, and probably high passed) to give a wider soundstage to the lead.

I like the backing vox a lot...might be fun to hear a bit of pre-verb leading into them in the bridge and/or quiet parts?

I'd also like to hear the bass higher, and a bit punchier, but then again I'm a bassist.

overall, mighty fine job.

DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/25 17:01:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: madcow

D...

Great tune and right up my alley. I think it sounds great except that the vocs are too up front.
Other then that...kick ass! (it's nice to hear some heavier music here:-)

Thanks for listening! Yeah, I think I'm going to drop the vox just a touch..maybe a db. I think that's the general consensus. Glad you were diggin' the tune!
DSomething
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/25 17:07:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: newfuturevintage

f'n good tune, good f'n mix too. I'm a sucker for anthemic heavy music.

I love the wide mix on the heavy guitars, and like the tonality of your voice...works really well for the style. As for the pitch issues mentioned earlier, I'm not too hung up on those. One of the big travesties for me of current mix technique is over reliance on pitch correction and its associated tonal weirdness.

The only mix points I'd give would be to replace the SR16 tones (well programmed, but kinda thin, but you already knew this). I'd also take that cool swirly, tool-y chorused guitar in the verses and widen it slightly. Either using a stereo chorus or a slight split to get it out of the center of the mix. It's fighting the vox for space a touch.
I'd also like to hear a short stereo delay coming off the lead vocal (very short. like 30-50 ms to the left and 40-70 to the right, very low in the mix, and probably high passed) to give a wider soundstage to the lead.

I like the backing vox a lot...might be fun to hear a bit of pre-verb leading into them in the bridge and/or quiet parts?

I'd also like to hear the bass higher, and a bit punchier, but then again I'm a bassist.

overall, mighty fine job.

I agree with the drum sounds. The only thing I like is the kick drum actually. I'm trying t figure out how to replace the sounds using midi with some of the P5 sounds. Still working on that.

That phased guitar was 1 stereo track so I don't know why it sounded center to you. Maybe because it was 100% L/R. Maybe I should put it at 90% L/R so it doesn't meet in the middle (or at least give that impression)?

I REALLY like the idea of a pre-verb on the back-ups in the bridge. I might try that. Probably on the "Forget About..." vox in the bridge.

The bass was tracked direct with a cheap arse Peavy bass. The tone I got seems to be the best I can get using that thing. I know exactly the kind of bass sound I like but am limited by the crap I'm using. Of course, new strings might have been better

Thanks for the suggestions
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/25 17:50:07 (permalink)
Assuming that your drums are on a GM map I could easily convert that in a dynamite sounding drum track for you. Just send me the MIDI. If it's not on a GM map...too much work for me!

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
newfuturevintage
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1848
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/03/31 14:07:07 (permalink)
That phased guitar was 1 stereo track so I don't know why it sounded center to you. Maybe because it was 100% L/R. Maybe I should put it at 90% L/R so it doesn't meet in the middle (or at least give that impression)?

Not really centered, just not wide enough. I think a short delay split (20-40 ms?) between the left and right channels would give it a nice sense of width, and make a bit of room for the more centered elements.

The bass was tracked direct with a cheap arse Peavy bass. The tone I got seems to be the best I can get using that thing. I know exactly the kind of bass sound I like but am limited by the crap I'm using. Of course, new strings might have been better

I know the pain The trick I'll use from time to time when I'm feeling too pressed for time or too cheap to pick up new strings before a session is to boil the bass strings in water with a drop of dish soap for a few minutes. Does wonders for waking up dead strings. Just be sure to get them dry as fast as possible after their bath or they can rust.
Abbey
  • Total Posts : 159
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/04/01 19:44:58 (permalink)
Okay D,

We're all out here waiting for the next song so where is it. [Just kiddin', don't yell at me]

Anyways, I'm trying something new on my website. I would like to start putting different musicians from the Cakewalk "Song" forum in a "Favorites of the Abbey" link.

We are entering into a totally new economy in the music industry. I was speaking to a freind of mine who lives in North Holliwood and is well conected to the recording business and he tells me that the recording, as well as the production companies are becoming a thing of the past. This is obviously due to the access that mucians have with modern recording programs for PC. To put out a sound with someone else behind the controls always will pull out from the final product what the musician originally intended.

That said and out of the way, I would like to put your song onto this link but would need your permission to make it legal.

The hole idea that I have is to give an introduction to different musicians by using just one of there songs, (a downloadable mp3) and then place a link back to there personal site were the visitor can purchase the entire CD or DVD.

At the present time I have placed your song, with a graphic, on a hidden page on my site. The public cannot view this page. However, if I get enough people that want to work with this idea, then the page will go public.

Here is the thing that I lot of people don't know... If someone wish to go into some type of Internet business they first would need a product to sell. What I am finding here on this Cakewalk "Songs" forum is that there is a lot of people here with a great product and it's a shame that they don't have the knowledge as to how to sell it. Well, I do.

Here is the link Favorites of the Abbey

I you would like to contact me directly send me an email at pres@AbbeyDigitalArts.com If, however, you would rather that I not have any of your contact info Just click on the "Open Forum" and tell me to either take it down or leave it up. You will not have to register to access this forum.

Jeff Abbey
post edited by Abbey - 2005/04/01 21:24:07
Abbey
  • Total Posts : 159
RE: Let me know what you think...be honest! 2005/04/01 21:39:05 (permalink)
Hi DSomething,

I just discovered that I can't hide the "Favorites of the Abbey" link without making it public. This is one of those technicle things that would take to long to explain. So if you could let me let me know right away as to whether or not to leave it or take it down I would appreciate it. However, my site, at the present time has not been submitted to any search engines so you don't have to worry about any of the general public coming in and grabing your song. So... Click here http://AbbeyDigitalArts.com wait for the site to fully load and then click on the "Favorites of the Abbey" link that you will see on the left-hand sidebar.

Jeff Abbey

P.S. Because I don't know your name I went ahead and made you a new one.
post edited by Abbey - 2005/04/01 21:42:03
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1