Love Knows No Hours-from new CD

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
michael japan
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5252
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 03:34:08 (permalink)
Hey, Michael. I don't have many additional suggestions. I've also been busy and just saw this, so I'm late to the party again. Sounds very good. Is that Rhodes the soundfont you turned me on to? The EP--actually all the keys--sounds great!

I almost deleted the following because I'm not sure. It could be my monitors or my prejudice. But just in case it's helpful...I often feel like the lower end of the acoustic piano kind of robs the electric bass in this kind of mix. Anyway, FWIW...

Yea, you know the last time around I cut the bass as well and I have a feeling when my mastering guy hears it (he critiques my mixes) that he's going to say he would like to hear more bass (note-obviously not bass himself-he's a mastering engineer). I would imagine that you know, but maybe you don't, that that is a recent trademark of my songs (please listen to sunset after dawn) to put piano octaves to introduce the piano frequency into the pallette where you don't want to add motion but merely the frequency color. Yes, that's the rhodes I sent you going through the effectizer (I sent the chap a donation to get rid of the annoying screen.) Thanks for listening.

You didn't say if you like it? <g>.

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
codashome
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 07:57:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: michael japan

slightly more boomy instead of dead and maybe slightly lower in the mix. Don't know if you can control the pitch but maybe lower that too if it was midi at first.

yea. I like those kinds of kicks as well. This is a live kit-I'm going more for a folk sound, but I think I will thicken it a bit and bring it back--thanks so much.

Michael, nice song! The performances were well played and stylistically in the pocket. Hope you don't mind a quick critique from just one listening. Mind you, I'm a an old school garage band rocker.

Just a couple of things that I noticed on my PC speakers. I like the sound of all the instruments, although there was an acoustic guitar fill near the beginning that was a bit harsh sounding. IMO, the kick is great. The bass guitar could be brought up (my personal bias as bassist). The electric guitar and keys could have been panned further from center to give the vocal some room. The band got a bit thick and loud toward the end, burying the vocal too much. She doesn't have anything left in reserve to match the rise in volume of the backing tracks. In a song like this, the vocal is everything; it is the song. Maybe leave out the synth pad at that point (the B4 sound is superior IMHO) and let the performance bring up the energy level instead of using the faders?
michael japan
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 09:39:11 (permalink)
Just a couple of things that I noticed on my PC speakers. I like the sound of all the instruments, although there was an acoustic guitar fill near the beginning that was a bit harsh sounding. IMO, the kick is great. The bass guitar could be brought up (my personal bias as bassist). The electric guitar and keys could have been panned further from center to give the vocal some room. The band got a bit thick and loud toward the end, burying the vocal too much. She doesn't have anything left in reserve to match the rise in volume of the backing tracks. In a song like this, the vocal is everything; it is the song. Maybe leave out the synth pad at that point (the B4 sound is superior IMHO) and let the performance bring up the energy level instead of using the faders?

excellent. Thank you. I had the instruments panned further out-I'll take a look and see if they should go back. I agree about the tone cluster towards the end-it's nice if it's there for the hole, but then should thin out again for the vocalist.

Thanks

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
DonnyAir
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1201
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 10:02:52 (permalink)
Jeez Michael...
it's really a sweet piece of work, anything I would add would be being picky and debateable from a production standpoint, a matter of individual taste.

I haven't read any of the other critiques above mine because I didn't want to be influenced by them, so all comments to follow are my opinion only and need to be taken as such.. that they are strictly an opinion.

If you really want me to find something to pick at, I'd have to say the side stick bothers me a bit. Not quite enough click, and sounds to my ears, a bit "hollow".
I think that the vocals have a weeee bit of sibilance here and there, you might wanna have a listen and see if you can reign her in a bit, but I don't think it's a dealbreaker. The blues guitar is a great texture when it enters, I think it's a touch too hot compared to the lead vox..just a touch, but tone is great...very warm...a great texture.

As far as arrangement goes, one particular thing did stand out for me (go figure, it's a drum thing") and that is, there is a wee small break at around 2:06 or so that has the other parts (bass, wurli/rhodes) doing a rest that the drummer plays the back beat through on. I would have had him drop the back and use just the kick to emphasize what the rest of the rhythm tracks are doing there in that 1 measure.

It's very Bonnie Raitt-ish (which is a compliment). Not that your vocalist sounds like Raitt,
but the arrangement (especially when the bluesy guitar comes in) is reminiscent of that style.

You've taken a minimalistic approach to each track, and in doing so have ended up with a well put together piece of work. I can certainly hear everything, your separation is great (and here's the thing about separation.. it's not that easy to have without it actually sounding like you tried to achieve it... but you did.)

I don't think anyone else here would say this isn't a nice cut; performance, feel, tones, dynamics, it's all there. Regardless of whether someone likes the style or not, they'd have
to respect the talent (on both sides of the glass).

I'm gonna go back and read the other comments now...LOL..see how far off base I was... I just didn' want my opinion to be influenced either way.

Also.. you've mentiioned that this isn't finished yet (although in my book it could be), so take all my comments with a grain of salt.

Good Job Michael.

D.
michael japan
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 10:43:59 (permalink)
thanks so much Donnie-love the detail and insight-it will not fall upon deaf ears. I'm off tonight and tomorrow (if I wanna stay married-which I do) but will give all these things a listen as soon as I go to the studio. You know the hollow clock, I'm going to take a look at it, but you might have noticed by the sound of the snare as well that I am a bottom snare kind of guy. I think it might be years of digital snares where you can't achieve the hollow sound that now I like it so much. But maybe it's wrong and I will take a look at it. I would have like some cleaner holes for the guitar as well, but the singer didn't have the guitar work so they step on each other a tiny bit in a couple of places-glad it didn't bother you. I guess that classy blues, blue eyed sould thing has been into me since I was a kid-I was the only cracker in a few brother type bands. The bass player and drummer were into jazz, and me and the guitarist were into soul, rhythm and blues, and blues. Oh well, anyway--the guitar is going through a gold channel (got to borrow it for six weeks and I want it so bad!!!!) and an LA2A (UAD). I ran it into Nigel (everybody howls)-a separate signal and got it sounded just a little ampy. The thing with me is that I know what I want-I hear it-I just don't always know how to achieve it because I use to work on a big budget and all I had to do was write and play. Anyway, it is all a big learning process for me and my computer is running great which helps as well.

Thanks again Donnie (hey, why did Michael tell me all that?)

gugliel
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 449
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 11:09:28 (permalink)
I am always a little concerned whether or not I'm going to make it with you.

As you should be ... you always ask for more than polite appreciation, so we the local public have to try to say what we hear, and let it be your problem to decide wherein we're right or dangerously wrong. And do you want me to destroy that mp3? Didn't understand whether that was a request or not. Otherwise I might keep it and study the art in it.

[edit] --- deleted --- [/edit]
post edited by gugliel - 2005/08/15 14:38:26

www.soundclick.com/guglielmo
neonknight
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 11:16:08 (permalink)
great job indeed!
BlindDog
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 985
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 11:55:53 (permalink)
o whoever it was that mentioned how can he tell this on headphones I don't see mention of headphones in his post. Did someone else mention it. Now to hear 2.2 vs 2 I would imagine that it's years of using outboard gear where you had like a 30 band and things were really divided, so I think Kevin was just being specific. Am I wrong? (if you can hear the difference between 2 and 2.2 then you must be a golden retriever and not a bulldog.

Yes I use older Event 20/20p's, and no, I can't spot very specific frequencies on cans (usually). Why 2.2K and Q=9? I swept the band during playback and that's where it landed - no rocket science! It does help that you have excellent sep in your instrumentation.

-4.8 @ 2K sounds about at the max depth, though a little off the center of the frequency with a slightly too wide Q (IMO, of course). -6 sounds a bit deep, but with a tigher Q it might be just fine. Does your current track have these changes?

-Kevin
Accidents "happen". Success, however, is planned and executed.
M
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1516
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 12:51:22 (permalink)
As far as the drums, believe it or not this is supposed to be kind of folk-I am not treating any of these like pop ballads (not that I would know how to LOL!)-seriously it's supposed to be kind of comboish, club, easy listening

Nice track, Michael, as always. This one easily *could* be done as more of a pop-ballad, but it's simple and real, as is. Your productions are always very well done, of course. Enjoyed the vocals and Strat work, in particular. Is this the guy that came in for the D.I. session (the subject of another thread)?

M
michael japan
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 13:07:48 (permalink)
please erase it-thanks! Legal reasons. And I loved your response.

Michael

michael japan
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 13:15:14 (permalink)
Yes I use older Event 20/20p's, and no, I can't spot very specific frequencies on cans (usually). Why 2.2K and Q=9? I swept the band during playback and that's where it landed - no rocket science! It does help that you have excellent sep in your instrumentation.

-4.8 @ 2K sounds about at the max depth, though a little off the center of the frequency with a slightly too wide Q (IMO, of course). -6 sounds a bit deep, but with a tigher Q it might be just fine. Does your current track have these changes?

guess I wasn't too clear. The original mix already had 2k cut at 4.8. After your comments I cut it to 6. But hey, it's all good. It's not all in the eyes and the oscilloscopes-we listen to music with our hearts and ears.

Thanks Kevin. Good to get to know you a little better. And it's nice to have a techie to run things by.

michael japan
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 13:21:46 (permalink)
This one easily *could* be done as more of a pop-ballad, but it's simple and real, as is. Your productions are always very well done, of course. Enjoyed the vocals and Strat work, in particular. Is this the guy that came in for the D.I. session (the subject of another thread)?

so very nice to hear from you M. Always a pleasure and an honor. This CD is me. I'm not trying to be anything-I've wasted too much time doing that. Just going for what I do best-simple and real as you stated. This song is the first of many-I hope they are well accepted. (and just what genre is that exactly) This is Philip Johnson-he's the guitarist on most of my songs-but yes, we did have the gold channel and I have to admit you can hear the difference. Your tone is always great as well. Hey, what about the mix and the keyboards?

Thanks for stopping by.

I appreciate it.

michael japan
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 13:27:53 (permalink)
NEONKNIGHT

thanks for stopping by.

BlindDog
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 23:01:25 (permalink)
guess I wasn't too clear. The original mix already had 2k cut at 4.8. After your comments I cut it to 6. But hey, it's all good. It's not all in the eyes and the oscilloscopes-we listen to music with our hearts and ears.

Thanks Kevin. Good to get to know you a little better. And it's nice to have a techie to run things by.

Oh yes, Michael, I did catch that. I was simply theorizing that the depth may have been fine but rather slightly out of focus (a little low on the band and slightly too wide of a Q). And I have to tell you, it's rare that I hear anything in your mixes that doesn't sound just spot on. So take this as the ears of one person who is listening ultra-closely to your work because as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - and education.

-Kevin
michael japan
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 23:18:35 (permalink)
imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - and education.

please only emulate the good.

chaz
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2775
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 23:51:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: chaz

Hey Michael,

I still hear a sibilance problem with the vox on the Soundclick file. Is it the updated mix file?

Sorry did not listen to the whole thing, so I cannot comment on the guitar track.

den121961
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 23:54:17 (permalink)
WHoa, this is right in the room! Excellent work!

Den
michael japan
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/15 23:54:38 (permalink)
thanks Chaz-I dealt with it once, but haven't updated the final as I am waiting to hear back from my committee. I appreciate your help, and it will be dealt with in the final.

God bless ya

BlindDog
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/16 00:05:04 (permalink)

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - and education.

please only emulate the good.

Check.

-Kevin
kfischer
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 452
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/16 00:06:37 (permalink)
Really nice tune and production Michael. Lovely voice. I enjoyed it immensely.

michael japan
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/17 20:08:55 (permalink)
WHoa, this is right in the room!

you never know who your neighbor might be.

daverich
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3418
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/18 09:13:32 (permalink)
Nice track michael - great production.

Try a pultec on the master mix, - and add just 1/1.5 notch of 60hz to it.

I'm missing the bottom cream with this - just that little extra bottom for it all to sit on would really get the heart strings vibrating.

Oh and the fade out at the end needs fixing ;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich
post edited by daverich - 2005/08/18 09:19:25

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/18 11:44:33 (permalink)
Hi Michael!

Sorry it's taken awhile for me to chime in. I've been super-busy as of late. I'll make some suggestions, most of which have been already made.

You may want to consider thinning the kick drum to allow the bass more room to speak. Dropping the volume may acheive the desired result as well.

The acoustic piano part should also be thinned out a touch. If you like the thicker tone of the piano in the exposed areas you could automate the low shelf on an EQ so you get the best of both worlds.

There's a little too much top end on the organ part. I'd roll off the top with an EQ or some other control to darken it up a bit. I actually thought I was hearing my cell phone ring when the high/chirpy organ part came in, but that just may be my personal problem ;)

I'd also play with the overall drum mix to get more depth/presence. Other than the kick, the drums pretty thin to me I don't have anything specific to offer.

Just curious on some of your gear. What did you use for the vocal mic/preamp? Drum miking? Was that MrRay 73 at the top?

Blessings,
Jonas

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
michael japan
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/18 11:55:09 (permalink)
vocal mic pre-amp is just a DBX 386 or something-not too end-it's all they had in Thailand. THe mics are an AKG-C414 Vintage and Rode NT2 on overheads, sennheiser on kick, the rest 57's and 58's. THe rhodes is the one I was trying to tell you about back on that piano thread a couple of weeks ago but you never came back. It's real good isn't it. I'll send it to you if you want-it's really got depth. Thanks for the comments. I will do them all. Gosh, I would like to know what to do with the drums how to make them more forward. THe only thing I could imagine is lowering everything else because they are pinning. I'm open to all suggestions. I'm kind of new at this drum thing-always worked on a budget before and had people do it for me. By the way, if I was playing "What the World Needs Now is Love" and the first 2 chords are Am-Dm, what is the first chord of the chorus? The rest of the chorus would be Cm F Bbmaj7,etc, but I can't remember what the first chord was of the chorus and I'm tired-it's late hear-but I want to sing it tomorrow at a gig.

Dm9 -I found it-sometimes it's in your face and you just can't see it.
post edited by michael japan - 2005/08/18 12:10:51

SteveD
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2831
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/18 12:24:46 (permalink)

vocal mic pre-amp is just a DBX 386 or something-not too end-it's all they had in Thailand. THe mics are an AKG-C414 Vintage and Rode NT2 on overheads, sennheiser on kick, the rest 57's and 58's. THe rhodes is the one I was trying to tell you about back on that piano thread a couple of weeks ago but you never came back. It's real good isn't it. I'll send it to you if you want-it's really got depth. Thanks for the comments. I will do them all. Gosh, I would like to know what to do with the drums how to make them more forward. THe only thing I could imagine is lowering everything else because they are pinning. I'm open to all suggestions. I'm kind of new at this drum thing-always worked on a budget before and had people do it for me. By the way, if I was playing "What the World Needs Now is Love" and the first 2 chords are Am-Dm, what is the first chord of the chorus? The rest of the chorus would be Cm F Bbmaj7,etc, but I can't remember what the first chord was of the chorus and I'm tired-it's late hear-but I want to sing it tomorrow at a gig.

Michael,
Getting the drums forward without overs is done with compressors and by making sure there's a space for them in the mix. Depending on the style of music... usually harder stuff... it helps if you can do some sidechaining... so they poke through the mix when they're supposed to.

Good drums, tuned well, with fairly new heads, and played by studio cats with lots of experience through good mics helps a lot. I know... sounds like a lot to ask... and may be too late for this project.

Also... it's amazing what ambient mics do for the depth and presence of a kit. For that you can use even one or two 57s, eight feet back, off center, about three feet off the ground through a decent preamp with lots of compression, preferably hardware on the way in.

Sorry I can't help you with the chord progression to "What the World Needs Now", but drums I know.

SteveD
DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
pluto
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/18 12:29:48 (permalink)

sennheiser on kick,

Michael,

Is Sennheiser best to use for drums (or the kick)?
Can it be used for other instruments and/or vocals?

Pluto

michael japan
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/18 12:37:51 (permalink)
it can be -it's called multi-purpose but it's not a condensor-I wouldn't use it for vocals.

Look up Sennheiser MD 421.

pluto
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/18 12:52:50 (permalink)

it can be -it's called multi-purpose but it's not a condensor-I wouldn't use it for vocals.

Look up Sennheiser MD 421.

Thanks Michael. Another question. Do you recommend
only *condenser* mics for vocals? Other than the
AKG you mention above, what is another good mic
for vocals less expensive, just curious.

Pluto
ed_mcg
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2741
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/18 13:43:47 (permalink)
Getting the drums forward without overs is done with compressors
I've even used limiters for that, especially on the snare. I've used both the UAD PL and the Kjaerhus Golden Peak-Pressor, not to pump, just to limit.
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/18 17:01:11 (permalink)
Hey, Michael!

Could you send me a good MP3 or .wma file of just the drum mix? I wanna play with it a little bit. I may have an easy workable solution.

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1