Love Knows No Hours-from new CD

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
michael japan
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5252
2005/08/13 12:24:59 (permalink)

Love Knows No Hours-from new CD

put an early post here so you all would see that I'm not lying about working on a new CD. The song isn't done, but it's close enough. The whole CD will have a similar sound. Still need to level some things out, (yes-especially guitars) and I have some better strings coming from Kirk Hunter and a violinist coming in at the end of the month. I wrote this a few years back but recorded recently and it will be going on a CD called "The Comfort Tape" as a working title, because the songs are to help those with heartbreaks, lost hopes, times when you feel you haven't done much with your life, etc. (ever feel that way). This girl does tsunami relief work and I am doing another CD for her pro bono-she is donating her services for 5 songs on my CD.

Christie Gibson (27) on vocals.
Mike Marrington(24) on drums.
Philip Johnson ( ) on acoustics and strat.
I ( )by the grace of God did the rest.

I'll take this down in a bit as it's not finished. I didn't put it as an mp3 download for those reasons. Please do feel free to comment on the mix-I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for the time. And I apologize for not commenting on others songs and being a stranger around here recently. Life really has been busy.

Michael

P.S.

Love Knows No Hours
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=242043

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol

103 Replies Related Threads

Shintock
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 12:53:36 (permalink)
    I can't really give any mix advice, one because I'm a n00b, and two because this already sounds awesome.

Great work!
    pluto
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 13:06:25 (permalink)
    Hi Michael,

Great song. Not my genre, but very well done.
    Can definitely appreciate the musicianship
    and production here. I don't here anything
    to comment on. If i had to comment on anything
    it would probably be to bring down the chorus
    vocals a *tiny bit* when singing "always, always" etc.
    Overall, great job all around!

Pluto
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 13:16:38 (permalink)
    Splendid! This will be one amazing project, Michael

Couple comments:
    - I really like the strat that comes in at 1:30, but its a little too loud compared to the vox. I kept think the vox was a little buried, but I think it's just the strat that's a little up.
    - The piano at the end is a little up (at 4:07) at that level it seems to come out of nowhere.
    - The drums (snare) is (are) just a little in the back compared to most ballads like this, but I think prefer it that way.

These are all very minor items, the song / arrangement and performances are excellent. As I've mentioned before, Ms. Gibson has quite the talent.
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 16:14:09 (permalink)
    Michael,

Very nice as usual.

The vocal track is a bit sibilant in places, so you may want to look into that.

I also think the guitar track could come down a bit more in the mix as it is now. If you bring it down and it does not stand out as much, cutting some of the low end will help it to cut thru the mix.

Looking forward to hearing the final mix.
    kiwisdontdrinktea
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 16:23:44 (permalink)
    I like this singer. I like your other singers too but this girl rocks! Great sustain on the notes she sings. On the head phones her vox seem just a little shrill after 2:30 but I usually find that with most female singers, so it may be my problem . I like arrangement at the end of the song when the chords go down the scale.

OK I don't want this to sound picky or a put down because it may be your entire intent. As far as your song writing goes I find the ballads to be very 'commercial', this one included.

I may have to visit you in Japan to get a tutorial on mixing , pretty darn good if you ask me. Sounds pro to my ears.

Edit: I just listened to extraordinary daze too. When did you record that one? I like the melody and edgy arrangement on that one. It has a vitality. I listened because teh play on words caught my attention (I wrote a song called living daze last year, my first song).
    post edited by kiwisdontdrinktea - 2005/08/13 16:37:00

She done stole my song - Otis Redding

http://www.beatkiwi.com
    danhazer
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2053
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 17:48:08 (permalink)
    I really like it. Keep up the good work. Mix sounds very nice to me - although I only listened through cheap PC speakers, still sounded good.

Dan Monaghan
    danhazer
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2053
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 17:51:43 (permalink)
    As far as your song writing goes I find the ballads to be very 'commercial', this one included.

If someone made that comment about my music, I'd receive it as a delightful compliment. The people writing commercial songs are by-and-large, in my opinion, the best song writers in the world.

Thanks,

Dan Monaghan
    gubielubie
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 19:18:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Shintock

I can't really give any mix advice,

yea we know.....glad to see your starting to realize it
    BlindDog
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 19:23:31 (permalink)
    Awesome stuff, Michael. I'm not sure if it's the mp3, but I'm hearing something ... sounds like maybe around 2.2K in the vox... what if you put a light cut there with a semi-tight (~9) Q? I also agree with Ed that the strat sounds a bit up-front in parts, but man, it is BEAUTIFUL.

-Kevin
    Accidents "happen". Success, however, is planned and executed.
    stuartsmithmusic
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 970
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 21:19:35 (permalink)
    christie has an amazing voice,

something you could listen to for hours without any ear fatigue, awesome stuff michael.

i'd knock the strat fills down a little in the verses its competing with the vocal in sections.

good job man!
    kiwisdontdrinktea
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 21:45:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: danhazer

As far as your song writing goes I find the ballads to be very 'commercial', this one included.

If someone made that comment about my music, I'd receive it as a delightful compliment. The people writing commercial songs are by-and-large, in my opinion, the best song writers in the world.

Thanks,

hehe, I once had this argument with someone. It was about when is a song good. My position was that the only objective measure of a good song is how commercial it is. I am not sure it is a very objective measure but I can't think of a measure more objective. My comment was neither meant as a a slant nor as a compliment. IMO commercial songs can be good or bad. I was commenting more on the style, feel and general appeal of the song.

She done stole my song - Otis Redding

http://www.beatkiwi.com
    SteveD
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2831
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 22:38:28 (permalink)
    Not going to nit-pick... 'cause you said it's not done. And I know you'll do your thing Michael. You always do.

I will say this.

It's all there. Everything you need.

Can't wait for the final mix and CD.

Great work Michael.

How do you find all this talent? I mean I know missionaries, and work with lots of people. How do you find out they can sing like that?!!? What... do you just ask every one you meet? Or do they walk around singing like angels?

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    michael japan
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 23:02:31 (permalink)
    DANHAZER-thanks. I always look forward to your outlook on songs.

KIWI-well, I'm not trying to be commercial, this is just what comes out. This is my personal favorite kind of music. But I do personally believe in reaching the masses. When I play live and a musician walks in the door, I have a conscious thought of trying to dazzle him, but then I come to my senses and remember that my main job is to reach out to people in song and performance. I personally find this song and arrangment has a bit of both. I think any session organist, guitarist, vocalist, or singer would acknowledge the performances in some of my arrangements-musicianship is important to me. But the main thing is that it reaches a broad spectrum of people, and that I can sing it myself on guitar or piano without any props. Not to say that's right or the way it should be done. That's just what I am comfortable with.

PLUTO-what do you mean it's not your genre? You don't believe in love? Seriously, I will take a look at the "Always".

Will reply to the rest of you in a sec.

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    michael japan
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 23:08:15 (permalink)
    SHINTOCK--being a noob means nothing in my book. I am open to anything you have to say. Speak on. You are always welcome and I look forward to your comments in my threads.

GUBIELUBIE-
    -your comments to Shintock were small in my book. I know you are trying to be funny, but trying to get a laugh at someone elses expense is risky at best. I'd like to be your friend. Try turning this around. I'm here for you.

michael japan
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 23:10:09 (permalink)
    Not going to nit-pick

actually I would love to hear your comments Steve.

SteveD
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2831
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/13 23:20:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: michael japan

Not going to nit-pick

actually I would love to hear your comments Steve.

I appreciate that Michael. Means a lot to me. But what I'm hearing has already been pointed out by Ed, Chaz, and Stuart.

Just got in from a gig, and I'm gonna grab a few hours sleep before driving Justin up to Berklee for the week. 5 hours up... registration... lunch... then 5 hours back... long day tomorrow.

I'll check in when I return tomorrow night.

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    pluto
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/14 02:34:09 (permalink)

You don't believe in love?[;)

Well, I've been hurt too many times Michael...

I do appreciate great talent though in all genres
    of music. I'm attracted most to commercially
    oriented rock/pop type stuff. Hey, think you can give
    my tune a listen and tell me what you think? It's
    in the Pluto & M collab topic, song name "Evolution."
    I'd appreciate it.

And keep up the great work, Michael.

Pluto
    michael japan
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/14 03:24:19 (permalink)
    commercially
    oriented rock/pop type stuff.

I thought this was commercially oriented rock/pop type stuff.

michael japan
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/14 03:56:45 (permalink)
    - I really like the strat that comes in at 1:30, but its a little too loud compared to the vox. I kept think the vox was a little buried, but I think it's just the strat that's a little up.
    - The piano at the end is a little up (at 4:07) at that level it seems to come out of nowhere.
    - The drums (snare) is (are) just a little in the back compared to most ballads like this, but I think prefer it that way.

thanks Ed-I made all of those fixes. The piano was especially bad but I was so tired and knowing I was going to roll it again anyway just left it-and you coaught it----thanks. As far as the drums, believe it or not this is supposed to be kind of folk-I am not treating any of these like pop ballads (not that I would know how to LOL!)-seriously it's supposed to be kind of comboish, club, easy listening-I want to be able to hear this in ten years and like it. But you were right about the sanre. I had an envelope on the bus because I didn't want the clock to be too loud in the first part of the song, but when the snare came in, I didn't raise it enough. I appreciate your help-I really mean that.

Michael

I put up a new mix with some CT's but there will be more-I'm sending to my auditioning committee today.

michael japan
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/14 03:58:26 (permalink)
    The vocal track is a bit sibilant in places, so you may want to look into that.

I also think the guitar track could come down a bit more in the mix as it is now. If you bring it down and it does not stand out as much, cutting some of the low end will help it to cut thru the mix.

added a de-esser and cut some extreme highs-did some tricks woth the guitar. There is a new mix now but hey....we all have work to do.

Thanks Chaz.

jwnicholson
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 386
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/14 11:32:22 (permalink)
    Michael,

I love this song. I have been really impressed ever since I checked out your instrumental "Sunset at Dawn."

As far as the singer, Christie Gibson, goes, she has a voice that connects with me in the same way as when I first Eva Cassidy. They both have such clarity and power at the same time.

I also love the excellent use of organ fills to give a gospel flavor. If you don't mind me asking what do you use for your organs and pianos?

As a complete noob I feel a little sheepish making any criticisms, but for my taste, one thing that struck me is a couple of places with slightly heavy bass tones, for example at 2:25 and 2:34.

Best,
    Jeff
    michael japan
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/14 12:04:06 (permalink)
    As far as the singer, Christie Gibson, goes, she has a voice that connects with me in the same way as when I first Eva Cassidy. They both have such clarity and power at the same time.

I also love the excellent use of organ fills to give a gospel flavor. If you don't mind me asking what do you use for your organs and pianos?

As a complete noob I feel a little sheepish making any criticisms, but for my taste, one thing that struck me is a couple of places with slightly heavy bass tones, for example at 2:25 and 2:34.

Eva is definitely one of my all time favorites.
    The organ is a B4. My settings are a secret. (if you are a new organist, I can go into depth how to get that sound but won't do it unless requested. It's a combination of leslie changes, swells, and drawbar settings. I move around a lot when I play organ.
    The piano is a Yamaha P120.

I will check out those spots and thanks so much for giving me the exact numbers. Thanks for listening Jeff. I'll pass on your notes to Christie. Eva is one of her favorites as well, if not her favorite. She's not cool Christie, and that makes her real cool.

salvatore3
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 100
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/14 12:42:33 (permalink)
    Sounds great to me. Only thing I kept wondering if I liked or not was the kick drum sound. Excellent job.

http://www.findmusicians.org

Find musicians in your area OR meet to record online.
    michael japan
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/14 12:47:53 (permalink)
    Only thing I kept wondering if I liked or not was the kick drum sound

what would you like to hear different?

nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/14 13:00:04 (permalink)
    Sounding good to me.

If I was being picky, I'd say that the siblances have been pretty well tamed, except in the first minute when the voice is so exposed, the sibilance is still showing up in the reverb. Maybe an EQ in front of the reverb with a cut to tame the siblance frequencies that you are sending to it. Once the rest of the music kicks in its not a problem.

That's the only thing I hear that could detract from enjoying this wonderful performance by your vocalist.

Very smooth recording, very enjoyable to listen to, nice work.

R

edited for spelling, one day I'll learn how to type.
    post edited by nprime - 2005/08/14 13:06:39

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    michael japan
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/14 13:03:34 (permalink)
    thank you. Yes, I added a de-esset but I did add highs to the reverb and that was probably a mistake. Thank you so much for taking the time. We're a team.

Michael

edit-ha! I put a de-esset!!!! LOL!
    post edited by michael japan - 2005/08/14 13:10:22

salvatore3
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 100
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/14 13:13:49 (permalink)
    As far as the kick drum sounds maybe make it slightly more boomy instead of dead and maybe slightly lower in the mix. Don't know if you can control the pitch but maybe lower that too if it was midi at first. Great job.

http://www.findmusicians.org

Find musicians in your area OR meet to record online.
    pluto
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/14 13:14:34 (permalink)

I thought this was commercially oriented rock/pop type stuff.

After listening again, it's commercial that's for sure.
    The hook is definitely there. It grows on you.

What I meant was I prefer more *uptempo* commercially oriented
    type stuff. But occassionaly I write a mellow tune to chill out.

It's a very nice song with excellent musicianship and production.
    Enjoyed listening to it, very relaxing.

Pluto
    michael japan
    RE: Love Knows No Hours-from new CD 2005/08/14 13:21:01 (permalink)
    slightly more boomy instead of dead and maybe slightly lower in the mix. Don't know if you can control the pitch but maybe lower that too if it was midi at first.

yea. I like those kinds of kicks as well. This is a live kit-I'm going more for a folk sound, but I think I will thicken it a bit and bring it back--thanks so much.

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1