Helpful ReplyMIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/12 01:30:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2017/04/12 13:20:00
I think this horse maybe gonna win the race.  No other DAW can do this, as far as I can tell. 

Tracktion Waveform Pattern Generator Tutorial

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/12 13:20:58 (permalink)
I must admit, that was rather impressive to watch. Is almost like "the way things should be."

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
abacab
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/12 14:20:24 (permalink)
mettelus
I must admit, that was rather impressive to watch. Is almost like "the way things should be."

+1

I would like to see the PRV in Sonar updated with musicality tools like this.  But until then ...

abacab
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/12 19:05:32 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

To Zink Trumpet & abacab ,

Last night I did what I was talking about a few posts ago ...
I opened up Waveform , took one of the Waveform auto generated chord progressions and played around with it for a little while ...Also ,messed around with the octaves and tried a number of different synths .
Then I opened up BIAB  while Waveform was still opened ...picked a Celtic Tune because I loved the melody .
I slid the melody to the place where you can use the BIAB DAW plugin option , I put BIAB into that mode and slid the melody over as a midi to Waveform on the same track I had the auto generated stuff on
Man it worked great and all was good in my world
Also I haven't seen this mentioned yet ..Waveform has an option where it has what appears to be hundreds of groove options that can be applied to midi

Oh I forgot to mention in my last post that even though I had used 2 different keys in source material , Waveform has a real nice midi transpose function 
I was able to set each midi source clip for key , octaves and even chord type with a level of simplicity and versatility that was unparalleled

Kenny

Hey Kenny, very nice!  I saved all this info to a notepad on my desktop, to try out later. 

Thanks again!

BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/12 19:17:25 (permalink)
abacab
I think this horse maybe gonna win the race.  No other DAW can do this, as far as I can tell. 

Is Waveform a generic plug, or Tracktion only?

Nevermind ... I see it's Yet Another DAW ... I'm DAW'd out

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

abacab
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/12 19:23:15 (permalink)
BobF

Is Waveform a generic plug, or Tracktion only?

Nevermind ... I see it's Yet Another DAW ... I'm DAW'd out

Waveform is Tracktion 8, with a new name, a mixer console, the Collective synth, and some new MIDI musicality tools.

ZincTrumpet
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/12 20:38:21 (permalink)
Abacab did you check out Reason Chords & Scales?

https://youtu.be/aMqfUXlLznA

Quite neat but I think Waveform still has more to offer and as far as I can tell it is not included in the entry level version of Reason.
abacab
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/12 22:37:37 (permalink)
ZincTrumpet
Abacab did you check out Reason Chords & Scales?

https://youtu.be/aMqfUXlLznA

Quite neat but I think Waveform still has more to offer and as far as I can tell it is not included in the entry level version of Reason.

Ha! Thanks for that!

I think that Reason offers some interesting tools, but they have always been on my blacklist. The reason is that they don't allow VST integration, so I cannot use my own instruments.  Their loss!

Regarding that video, it is promoted as a blatant one key chord and scale player that surely has some purists cringing.  I actually would prefer something like Cthulhu to assist with playing chords, without having that type of handholding so that I cannot play an incorrect note.

To be clear, I am looking for composition assistance, not playing assistance.  I understand music theory, so I am just looking for something to give some framework of reference within the DAW while attempting to write a tune.  I would like to know what notes and chords fit within the project key I am using, especially if I am working outside of my comfort zone.

abacab
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/12 22:48:12 (permalink)
So far I am very impressed with Tracktion Waveform.  I think that it offers a great MIDI toolbox for creative experimentation.  I have been using the demo for only a few days, and I am pretty much sold on it.

I think that a good MIDI tool set will allow you to experiment while showing you alternative options within the harmonic structure of what you are trying to do.  Using a computer app as an aid so that you do not have to refer to another external doc or app for chord or scale info could be a major productivity and creativity booster!

ZincTrumpet
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/13 13:00:01 (permalink)
Thanks abacab and Kenny, I think I will have to try the Waveform demo real soon!
post edited by ZincTrumpet - 2017/04/13 15:24:17
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/13 13:41:22 (permalink)
abacab

Good for you ...I have spent the past few days working with the Waveform pattern generator  and the more I use this end of the program the more I like it ...
I like being able to change the inversion of the chords individually  (shift w arrow ) ..w 7 th chords in a progression it is even better and it will produce voicing I'm not able to play on the guitar ...
I find it interesting to use the arpeggio patterns  ...they may play globally yet they do have some nice patterns 
A thing I have noticed is I can change an individual note within a chord and it will stick all though out the progression ...
I'm not only limited to the included diatonic harmonic content that Waveform comes with ..
I can treat this exactly like BIAB  and write out Giant Steps if I wanted to 
At around 3:55 in the vid where he shows the rhythmic patters in Waveform I found very interesting  a few of them are very contemporary in genres I would like to dip my toe in ....

The only thing that I have yet to find out is ...can the Waveform  program export my self generated Waveform patterns out as midi files so I can use the in other programs such as SONAR ?

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2017/04/13 14:29:36

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

abacab
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/13 20:08:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/04/13 21:22:09
kennywtelejazz

The only thing that I have yet to find out is ...can the Waveform  program export my self generated Waveform patterns out as midi files so I can use the in other programs such as SONAR ?

Kenny

Hey Kenny, here ya go!  Found one solution!

So I went ahead and bought this thing.  I'm a sucker, LOL!!!  Oh yeah!!!

That was a mighty good question, because this program seems to be missing a drag n drop or copy/paste clipboard function out to Windows or to another application.  I even tried with a virtual MIDI port using LoopBe but cannot figure out how to send MIDI from this thing.

Except for ... ta da!!!

1. Export > Render to a file...

2. Choose your file destination.

3. Select "Format: MIDI file"

4. Select "Render Each Track to a Separate File"
(don't forget to uncheck "Pass Through Plugins")

6 Render!

Now you can open up Sonar or whatever, and slide these MIDI files in as separate tracks, then assign plugins, and off you go!!! 

kennywtelejazz
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/13 21:21:59 (permalink)
abacab
kennywtelejazz

Kenny

Hey Kenny, here ya go!  Found one solution!

So I went ahead and bought this thing.  I'm a sucker, LOL!!!  Oh yeah!!!

That was a mighty good question, because this program seems to be missing a drag n drop or copy/paste clipboard function out to Windows or to another application.  I even tried with a virtual MIDI port using LoopBe but cannot figure out how to send MIDI from this thing.

Except for ... ta da!!!

1. Export > Render to a file...

2. Choose your file destination.

3. Select "Format: MIDI file"

4. Select "Render Each Track to a Separate File"
(don't forget to uncheck "Pass Through Plugins")

6 Render!

Now you can open up Sonar or whatever, and slide these MIDI files in as separate tracks, then assign plugins, and off you go!!! 

Excellent abacab  

I will have to try that later on when I switch back over to my Win computer ...my i Mac can only run up to T 7 ...

That does open up a whole world of possibilities when inputting chord changes and being able to use them else where .
I have a very strong background with music and music theory and I think as a non keyboard player this type of added functionality may help me be able to use less midi guitar in place of keys ..
Midi guitar is fine but when it comes to trying to doing strings,  brass and balls dead on the beat type of chordal playing , midi guitar leaves a little to be desired for 
I love the way this app does arpeggios and I would like to import some of my own ...

Personally I think you got a good deal , as a first time customer yours version of Waveform  comes  w Melodyne Essentials  also ...right ? 
I may have about a hundred bucks into this program myself ..I started w T5 free and upgraded to T 7 for about 50 . Then another 50 got me Waveform ....all in all I feel that is pretty fair ...

thanks for the tip ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

abacab
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/13 21:44:01 (permalink)
Just noticed that there is a way to just render the single MIDI clip that you are working with in the pattern editor.

Down in the lower section, if you look at the MIDI clip info pane to the left of the Pattern Generator, you will see a "Render Clip" button.

So the quick and dirty way is: Render Clip > Render MIDI > Render the selected clip to MIDI...

Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/13 23:02:39 (permalink)
You guys really have to get a room.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
abacab
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/13 23:29:36 (permalink)
Fleer

So how's that Waveform working out for ya???

Fleer
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/14 01:55:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/04/14 02:48:24
Schweeeeeeeeet !

kennywtelejazz
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/15 09:57:46 (permalink)
Fleer

Just a room ?
We need the whole top floor including The Penthouse ...
Let' see there's P 5 , Waveform , Air Synths and Plugs , and a few other musical odds and ends thrown in there for good measure ...

all the best
Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Fleer
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/15 15:11:59 (permalink)
Now that's an island's paradise!

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/16 05:43:44 (permalink)
I was playing with this a little this weekend and cannot seem to find a couple (hopefully simple) things. Are guitar chords also represented? And if you modify a chord, I am not sure how to replicate that (either save flat out as a new chord, or have it mirror into other instances).

I didn't delve too deeply into the demo yet, but something as simple as Dsus2 comes up as a triad, so modified it (before finishing a simple progression), and had to repeat that again. I am not sure if the mirroring effect only works if they are already all in place.

I nabbed the manual from the other thread, but the videos seem more helpful for me.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
kennywtelejazz
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/16 10:14:02 (permalink)
A couple of things with chords ...when you hit shift and left click your mouse on the arrow where it would change the octave what will happen is Waveform will invert the chord ...
With a triad when you do that 3 times you get the typical chord inversions every body knows ...
this is very useful IMHO ...
With a 7 th chord you will get 4 inversions before it jumps up to the next octave ...

I'm sure I could input a typical guitar chord after inputting a triad first and then by adding the extra notes ..
I haven't tried that yet only because I'm messing around with some other stuff ...

On a chord track with the arpeggio engaged you can move voices around at will ...
ex...changing the bass note of the chord or any other voice for that matter ...
What will happen is this will also effect the secondary part of the clip ....
I say secondary part of the clip because over here I have been dragging in 8 or 9 bars of a blank midi and superimposing my chord progressions that seem to be 3 or 4 chords at a time ...my clips so far are short and the second half is a repeat ...

I do like this end of things a lot in the couple of days I have been playing around with The Waveform pattern Generator I have been able to come up with some nice finger picking stuff that would work great on guitar parts
for non guitar players .
On the opposite side of the coin, 
Since I'm a non keyboard player I have been able to come up with some rather nice arpeggio keyboard parts that I would have not been able to have done with my midi guitar ...

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Fleer
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/16 12:47:34 (permalink)
Thanks Kenny!

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/16 14:39:26 (permalink)
I'm so use to creating my own but not creating clips but using notepad to label progressions.  Once again a feature like this has been in FL Studio for quite some time.  I do like Waveform.  I have Liquid Notes, demoing Cthuwhatever and sometimes is takes a rocket science to get these to work.  These often suffer from poor documentation when it comes to setup. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
abacab
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/16 17:03:16 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
I'm so use to creating my own but not creating clips but using notepad to label progressions.  Once again a feature like this has been in FL Studio for quite some time.  I do like Waveform.  I have Liquid Notes, demoing Cthuwhatever and sometimes is takes a rocket science to get these to work.  These often suffer from poor documentation when it comes to setup. 

The best thing about Waveform is that these MIDI tools are baked right into the program, and do not require any plugins to operate them.  Plugins such as Cthulhu affect only one track, rather than the entire project. 

Some apps that can perform re-harmonization functions are forced to work as separate standalone apps in order to manipulate the harmonic structure simultaneously for all of the tracks, as is the case with Liquid Notes.  I have that one too, but I think that would come in handy further down the road, when you have your song pretty well developed, and just want to tinker with the harmonic color of the whole thing in one shot, rather than track by track.

With Waveform you don't need to use the Pattern Generator if you want to create your own patterns. You can simply add a root note, then enter "ctrl +3" or "ctrl + 7" for a Major triad or 7th, or else hit the Chord menu and add from many other chord types from the menu.  Then you can select and copy the chord notes and paste (ctrl+v) the chord as many times as you need.  Select and adjust the chord notes as a group, moving the root note of each chord as desired to create your progression.  Invert up or down as you wish with "shift + T" or "ctrl +shift + T".  The optional Marker track is useful for marking your chord changes on the timeline.

The Create Chord options are:

But I really find the Pattern Generator is very inspiring for trying out new ideas.

I did try the FL Studio 12 demo, but Waveform MIDI blows it away, in my opinion.  Although, I do like the PRV in FL Studio, it is very good!  But the rest of the GUI just felt awkward to work with.

Bottom line, I'll probably never use Waveform as a DAW to record or mix audio with.  My decision was based entirely on the MIDI tools.  But It is nice to know that it has audio tools if needed.  It also does include a Melodyne Essentials 4 license with ARA integration.

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/16 17:13:30 (permalink)
Like Waveform so far.  I never did gel to Tracktion and had licenses since T2.  I went through and deleted those demo plugins and finally found Collective. 

Best thing to do is collect your own midi files. You can audition them in Sonar and see which synth works best with them.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
abacab
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/16 17:26:13 (permalink)
kitekrazy1

Best thing to do is collect your own midi files. You can audition them in Sonar and see which synth works best with them.

Yup, been there, done that.  Now with Waveform in the workflow, the plan is to build the MIDI files there, using any of my synth plugins.  Then export the MIDI tracks and finish them in Sonar, and perhaps replace some sounds and add FX to get what I want.  But the good thing is that I can use the same instruments and presets in both programs, to avoid any potential messy MIDI details that could arise when switching instruments.  But happy accidents can happen! 

Fleer
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/16 18:32:57 (permalink)
Sounds like a plan 

ZincTrumpet
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/24 13:10:20 (permalink)
Nino Vargas
Best for ipad http://laurentcolson.com/chordpolypad.html

Just catching up on a few things and this looks like a great find, thanks!

Now to try the Waveform demo ... 

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/24 13:29:12 (permalink)
abacab
 You can simply add a root note, then enter "ctrl +3" or "ctrl + 7" for a Major triad or 7th

FWIW, there are CAL scripts that may be bound to keystrokes to perform the same tasks in SONAR. It is pretty easy to use the existing chord scripts to create your own. I went as far as a small autohotkey menu to use instead of keybinding. Certainly not as nice as a fully integrated tool though.
ZincTrumpet
Re: MIDI Scale/Chord Composition Assistance Software 2017/04/24 15:11:50 (permalink)
Thanks scook.

By the way, ChordMaps2 (iPad app) has been on sale and the sale has been extended for a day (5.99 instead of 9.99).
Get it on the App store or see more here ...
http://mugglinworks.com/ChordMaps2/ 

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1