MIDI sampled drums and REAL cymbals played by human (NOW WITH SAMPLES)

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/02 08:17:29 (permalink)
I've been experimenting with real hi-hats... but my primary interest in midi drums is actually studying the results in PRV so as to help develop my sensibility as a writer... so I continue trying to play the midi hi-hats... otherwise I'd just play the Tama rig..
mike_mccue

I remember when you had that kit on order, or your wife did IIRC, last year.

Out of interest Mike, what do you do with the hi-hat controller MIDI input from your Alesis kit?

Do you have to change timings, range of expression notes, velocities. or all of the above to get the sound you are listening for?

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
Garry Stubbs
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/02 08:22:18 (permalink)
FWIW, I think you're underestimating the quality you can achieve with a little careful programming inside BFD, especially if you invest in some of the Expansion packs.
Bristol_Jonesey

+1 to Jonesey on that one as I stated similarly in my early post in this thread

Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/02 10:54:25 (permalink)
Hi Kiosk,
 I set up the Hi Hat controller to function as it was intended and I've gotten better at my foot timing.

I think for me, I probably have bad real hi hat technique in that I utilize the "up" sound as much as the other sounds and I have yet to find a sample library that has an "up" sound.

With the Edrum kit I have had to learn to use what they library provides which is usually a nice gating type sound as you lower your foot on a recent hi-hat hit.

The basic fott close "****" sounds seem a bit lighter in all the libraries than my real life style as well.

I am not a trained drummer... so I have to admit that part.

best regards,
mike

Garry Stubbs
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/02 16:33:29 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Hi Kiosk,
I set up the Hi Hat controller to function as it was intended and I've gotten better at my foot timing.

I think for me, I probably have bad real hi hat technique in that I utilize the "up" sound as much as the other sounds and I have yet to find a sample library that has an "up" sound.

With the Edrum kit I have had to learn to use what they library provides which is usually a nice gating type sound as you lower your foot on a recent hi-hat hit.

The basic fott close "****" sounds seem a bit lighter in all the libraries than my real life style as well.

I am not a trained drummer... so I have to admit that part.

best regards,
mike
Hi Mike,

As a drummer and e-drummer with the same e-kit as you, perhaps I can make a couple of suggestions to try to help. Firstly is one of playing (and therefore practising) technique. When starting out drumming, gaining separation of the mind control of four limbs is the first skill to be acquired, genuine lack of ability to do this rather than lack of dedication to practise is of course why some people could never drum in a million years. Separating the arms from the feet comes first but then controlling the feet individually needs extra work. May I suggest this is why you end up with more open hi-hat hits than you intend as your left foot (assuming the kit is set up right-handed) inadvertantly follows the beat. Try this exercise I developed myself early on in my drum playing career:-

Play a simple 4/4 beat with eighths on the hi-hat, 1 and 3 on the floor (The money beat !) with the left foot keeping the hi-hat permanantly closed, this is the first stage in separation control, next, play a bar where you open and close the hi-hat for consecutive strikes (sizzle) on the and- 2 followed by the and-4. Then, return to a bar of foot closed, till you get total control and don't skip the sequence. Once mastered, follow that two bar pattern by a four bar pattern with a bar each when you only play one of the sizzles per bar, firstly the and- two followed on the fourth bar by only on the and-four. Repeat until the muscle memory embeds itself permanently in your mind. This is where drummers on real kits can drive people insane with practise but edrummers can get away with it. You will soon achieve mastery of your hi-hat beats. Playing dynamics (ie musically pleasing and appropriate velocity control can only come after this.

Yes I agree with both your points regarding e-drum libraries, you have to search for a good gating open to close hi-hat sound on a kit piece, they are all recorded by different players in different recoring styles. I like the recorded NY Avatar Sabian Hi-hat sounds in Superior Drummer 2 myself, and can port them as an X-drum into other kits if required.

The other point you made being that the Hi-hat close sound (known as the 'chick' ) tends to be too quiet in relation to the rest of the kit sounds. On the DM 5 Drum brain. if you perform a MIDI chase on the Hi-hat close note, you can adjust the velocity sensitivity to a higher level to compensate and give you the balance you are looking for.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Garry Kiosk

The Maillard Reaction
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/02 17:26:47 (permalink)
Thanks Garry!

What I find is that the sample libraries seem, in general, to seem some what imbalanced compared to my real kit... I may have a foot close velocity near 127 and the open Hi Hat hit at 70 and still think the foot close should sound chunkier... if you just keep turning down the open (or closed) hits they change tone... to represent a lower velocity.

The snare, toms, and kick usually have a few extra stages of volume/gain/level control but often the all the hi hat sounds are lumped together on a single bus so, as you may have been suggesting, the velocity is usually the only place to try to balance the hi-hat samples out.

The "up" sound I mentioned is the *wash* you can get simply by releasing the pedal. I often use that sound on my real kit.... or sometimes I'll strike my hi-hat just as I release it and get a fast spray as the two cymbals sizzle. I've yet to find a drum library that does that.

I have Abbey Road 60's drums coming with Komplete 7 and I'm real curious to see if N.I. exploits the Kontakt engine further.

best,
mike 

post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/12/02 17:29:50

Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/02 20:38:17 (permalink)
Personally I find midi drums and live cymbals are a good compromise.

Given than many songs recorded with acoustic drums are often doctored with some kind of drum replacement technique providing or augmenting the final sound.

The cymbals are the hardest to emulate through sampling even that given that 127 steps of velocity would be accurate enough to represent a full range of hit strengths.

The reason being is that the radial vibrations on each physical cymbal will be in a different phase on anything other than the first hit.

Fortunately it's an easy enough thing to do to record cymbals in isolation with a stereo pair of condensers.  Back in the eighties I even used a consumer grade stereo Sony mic with great results in order to capture cymbals to incorporate into an effective drum track.  Just make sure if you are using such a mic it is a condenser in order to capture those bright brassy top end frequencies.

After that if you have mics to burn try to capture some of the room any old mic or mics will do but boldly experiment with position until you get a good marriage between the main (overhead sound) it doesn't really matter about getting a stereo room sound so if you only have one mic available try it anyway.  It can add some real depth and meat to the sound.

Another thing I find common in the songs forum is that many folk try to get a really hyped sound in the high frequencies and not only does this make the cymbals prone to 'frying' in the final mix you'll miss out on some of the good stuff lower down the frequency ranges.

My personal favourite benchmark for recorded cymbal sounds would be on Steely Dan's 'Reeling in the Years',  listen to the crashes in particular and how much of the tone is down in the mid ranges and not all about hyping the highs.

Hi Hats are very hard to fake as each players foot pressure will often contribute to a signature playing style which is often a very expressive part of a style and differs even with the same player at 10 am at the start of a session than it will at 4 pm when the same player has got fed up with too many takes.

This subtlety of nuance is nigh on impossible to get near with midi, but on the other hand a mechanical type feel can suit certain genres so there is no hard and fast, you have to satisfy that what you are trying to do is adding 'feel' to a song or destroying it.  So all in all it is just down to production choice whether you go for a sloppier live feel or robotic tightness.

Another thing that gets overlooked even when somebody has programmed some great articulations along with getting a great hi-hat sound, is that the 'feel' is missing.  Humanisation or some other kind randomisation can help to some extent but in other cases it can make the drumming feel loose and frankly bad.

The reason is that most drummers have an inherent amount of swing even when playing straight notes so make use of Sonar's groove quantising feature particularly on hats, the MPC grooves are great to add that little bit of feel and the sweet spots are around about the +/- 2% and +/-5% (i.e. small) amounts for my tastes, although I tend to groove my beats with Reason 4's 're-groove' engine rather than Sonars' DNA engine I'm sure they are pretty much equally capable in practice it's just that I got familiar with the Propellerhead's product for doing that kind of thing first.

Like all these things there is no hard and fast apply all to every track you are doing and great results seem to be inexplicably linked to the amount of effort put in.  The hybrid approach of live metals and midi drums seems to me, for the reasons given here of simplicity to do and the difficulties of representing cymbals effectively with midi, like a good one.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/12/02 20:42:32

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Garry Stubbs
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 02:15:58 (permalink)
Very interesting take Jonbouy, especially from someone with the industry experience to back it up. Perhaps the OP may be going along the right lines after all. My take is that, running a project studio for my own purposes nowadays, that I can afford the time to "perfect" the MIDI drumming techniques, taking the opportunity to use increasing the quality of devs like Toontrack and FXPansion to eventually reach a point of convergence of quality between acoustic and ITB recorded drum tracks with little or no difference in recording and mixing effort. My live playing and rehearsals satisfy the addictive need to hit cymbals !

It's a wonderful time in digital recording right now,lots of options and techniques to use, it can only get better.

The Maillard Reaction
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 07:35:14 (permalink)
I use those Steely Dan albums as my reference mixes.... I hesitate to say they were the best ever... but that's just because I believe statements like that are silly.

:-)

A year or so ago, I pulled in to a colleagues studio parking lot and I was jamming to Katy Lied. My buddy walks out from behind his steel door and greets me "was that Katy Lied? that's the best mix...EVER!"... and then we laughed at the fact that I rolled in playing it loud enough for him to recognize it from inside his studio's office.

The kids are alright. :-)

post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/12/03 07:39:04

Jonbouy
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 10:21:19 (permalink)
It's a wonderful time in digital recording right now,lots of options and techniques to use, it can only get better.

Precisely.

The Maillard Reaction
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 10:31:14 (permalink)
What do you guys think about my "up" sounds ideas?

Is that just unorthodox self taught technique? Is it a frowned upon bad habit?

I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't seem to be addressed by all the sample library coders?

Thanks!

best regards,
mike

Jonbouy
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 10:38:27 (permalink)
mike_mccue

What do you guys think about my "up" sounds ideas?

Is that just unorthodox self taught technique? Is it a frowned upon bad habit?

I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't seem to be addressed by all the sample library coders?

Thanks!

best regards,
mike

Yes, those samples would be a good addition to any library.

You couldn't do that break down in Led Zeps 'Whole lot of Love' effectively without them...

The Maillard Reaction
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 10:41:21 (permalink)
ok off to study

Garry Stubbs
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 10:48:27 (permalink)
In the right musical context Mike, I think the wash sound on hi-hat release would sound great. Obviously this requires a bottom hi-hat tilter adjustment slightly beyond the level required to prevent air-lock  and a slower foot release to get the cymbals sounding, so it's a combo of set up and technique that might not appeal to many drummers as a slightly slower foot release could unleash a musically inappropriate wash when a tight drum line is required. Thats my take as a gigging drummer anyway. Hi-hats in general provide the ostinato in an arrangement and usually need a tight pattern arrangement but of course can be put to any musical use we choose !

There is no reason why a dev couldn't provide a hi-hat recorded in such a way, I guess the requirement is that rare.

The Maillard Reaction
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 10:57:08 (permalink)
Thanks for elaborating Garry.

This seems like very useful info... and yes my real hi-hat is tilted enough to get both the opening wash and a explicit swish when it closes. Good call!!!

I guess I listened to too much Chick Webb as a child. :-)

Garry Stubbs
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 11:00:11 (permalink)

The reason being is that the radial vibrations on each physical cymbal will be in a different phase on anything other than the first hit
Jonbouy

I just read your post again, you know what Jonbouy, I never really thought about this. One of the reasons playing a crash as a ride in an appropriate (usually raucous) number feels and sounds particularly good. You only have to see an ultra slow motion of a cymbal being hit to realise how much it's bent out of shape every strike, and this does explain why it doesn't sound the same on an e-drum triggered VST. Of couse not every song / arrangement requires this but you have certainly got me thinking there.

Cheers

Garry 
EDIT:- Link to a slo-mo cymbal strike, as I mentioned it in my post -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBZ8o0Kiz6w  

post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2010/12/03 11:08:56

The Maillard Reaction
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 11:19:20 (permalink)
Isn't that why rides are beefy?

Garry Stubbs
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 11:28:26 (permalink)
Yes, for dynamics control, so you dont get out of control swells or cresendos when riding them. Although played hard enough, you can get ride washes and on a quality cymbal they sound great. Also most of the manufacturers produce a crash / ride version as well as studio / stage versions. I just love the weighting and playability of my Sabian AAX stage ride, as soon as I installed it, the quality of my whole sound just seemed to increase by 25%

Jonbouy
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 11:36:04 (permalink)
mike_mccue

ok off to study

Here you go Mike.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9952162

You'll get this effect be clearly lifting your foot of the pedal whilst playing quarter notes, the up hi hat sound should be on the 'and' as in 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and, far too athletic for me these days.

Notice the reverb switching in at 07.00 too no subtlety there LOL

post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/12/03 11:41:05

The Maillard Reaction
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 11:36:13 (permalink)
I like to think of cymbals as pools of liquid.

It is nice when you find one that makes your kit sound together.

:-)

The Maillard Reaction
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 11:39:14 (permalink)
Thanks Jon!

Jonbouy
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 11:45:11 (permalink)
I like to think of cymbals as pools of liquid.

It is nice when you find one that makes your kit sound together. :-)

Exactly, all your cymbal work combined, aside from the transients which are meat and drink for midi, should leave an overall 'wash' which is better served in the domain of audio.

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 14:23:19 (permalink)
Interesting thread & ideas here lads - keep it coming!!!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 14:59:11 (permalink)
Most stuff that you hear in pop/rock cymbal-wise, you can probably get away with well enough in something like BFD/2. Not that it wouldn't be better to have a great studio room and real drums and a rack of vintage Neve pre-amps and such. But, you could do plenty good enough that, if the song is good, they aren't going to distract anyone from the song at all. BTW, good programs like BFD do fade a new hit in over a previous one and the fade is controlled by how loud the new one is relative to the old one. So you do get some of that overlapping vibrations effect.

Something that comes to mind for me in terms of a rock/pop song that definitely couldn't be done at all without real cymbals is Thea Gilmore's Avalance. That song has some of the biggest, longest sustaining, blossoming cymbals I've ever heard on a rock song I think. And a gorgeous song as well. Interestingly, I guess as per this thread's topic, it uses very obviously drum machiny programmed toms in combination with hyper realistic cymbals and a real snare and hihat, and it works very nicely for this song, though it's not something I'd do regularly myself. Then occasionally these stadium sized real toms will come in.

I doubt this Youtube version (in addition to probably being completely illegal and rippng off an artist who probably needs all the bucks she can get) will do it justice. It's definitely a song that benefits from full fidelity. The cymbals come in later as it starts to build up more and more. It's a chill producing song for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiPkBhJPYFM
post edited by droddey - 2010/12/03 15:02:51

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
Jonbouy
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 15:43:29 (permalink)

Not that it wouldn't be better to have a great studio room and real drums and a rack of vintage Neve pre-amps and such.

The beauty is you don't need all that if you're just recording cymbals to get a great sound.  A pair of non-expensive condensers in whatever room you find yourself in then you just need to be prepared to experiment a little.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/12/03 15:45:02

droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/03 17:37:13 (permalink)
Oh, no, I was referring to doing a full drum kit. Though, for someone like me, even the cymbals isn't possible. The sound of neighbors pounding on the walls might not work so well in the context of the song :-)

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/04 11:54:38 (permalink)
After lurking over these most excellent posts ... I'll post-pone the Z4 Zendrum option (tho I called their propietary number).

From personal limited hacking experience, I'd validate:

1) What I understand of Jonbouy's thoughts: The "wash" of studio bells per se is a notch or 10 higher with mic'd bells.

2) That "wash" sounds better with studio tambs and glocks as well.

3) I'll start hacking with my Sabian hats (on my next piece)

4) Oftentimes, nothing beats a real percussionist, groove meister, or loopster ...  pre-recorded samples

5) Zendrums and BFD/2 seem old school performance driven paradigms that appeal to virtuoso drummers much more than home composers and producers.

6) I'm not about to re-invent any drum wheels that you drum masters can do better. 

7) For sample-driven 'new-school' composers ... midi-loops, beatz and purcheasable 3rd-party loops and blasts ... these seem to me much more time and cost-effective for 90% of the workflow and inspiration ... for solid groove foundations.

8) Off Topic: I'd speculate that a 'pop' song often leans either to old-school (performance) techniques ... or else ... to new-school (sampling) techniques ... not the 50/50 old-new that I'm guilty of.  Its difficult to be in both camps 50/50 anyway ... as they oppose each other.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/05 14:45:46 (permalink)
This might be slightly off-topic, but recently, I've started to utilise some of the excellent loops contained within BFD2's grooves palette page.

I'll find a selection which more or less fits my needs, drag them into Sonar and edit them myself so they fit a bit more naturally into the song. This is MUCH faster than "rolling your own" every time a new drum track is required, puls you get all the benefits of the efforts of a real drummer, with all the little nuances of timing & velocity variations they naturally provide.

I sometimes feel this is cheating, but it's results that count.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
The Maillard Reaction
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/05 22:57:19 (permalink)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8syiOwwVyY
post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/12/05 22:59:12

The Maillard Reaction
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/05 23:03:20 (permalink)

Jonbouy
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/06 04:29:41 (permalink)

I can't think of any sampler currently that would cope with either of those very well...

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1