MIDI sampled drums and REAL cymbals played by human (NOW WITH SAMPLES)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
mattplaysguitar
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1992
2010/11/27 02:44:59 (permalink)

MIDI sampled drums and REAL cymbals played by human (NOW WITH SAMPLES)

Hey folks,

Background:
I am not a great drummer. I wish I was. But I am not. I can drum though and do so in time, as long as it is simple. I am writing an album. I have been programming the drums by hand in BFD. I like it and I spend many weeks/months programming each song till it sounds real. Usually, however, I find that the cymbals are what I find lacking in realism - primarily the high hats.

The Idea:
I have heard about the idea of using a MIDI kit with real cymbals, all played by a real drummer. This can supposedly get a great sound but with minimal mics and an average room - provided your samples are good. Now if I could play drums well enough I would do that. I am though now considering the idea of using my programmed drums and removing all cymbals from it and then playing them myself. I am confident that with not much practise my drumming on the highhat and cymbals will be good enough and I can really add more emotion to the drumming with the flexibility of the high hat openess (slowly loosen the HH as a chorus approaches so it builds up etc). I have access to a good set of cymbals and have a set of Rode K2's for overheads which I have used before and am happy with. I would learn to play the snare and fill parts too as when playing 16th notes and fills, there are times when I can't hit the HH, so this needs to happen. I would essentially be playing the song as normal, but not playing the kick - my weakness. I would set the snare and toms up with so much padding they don't make a sound when hit (or small enough to be masked by the MIDI drums).

The Question:
Any suggestions, opinions, ideas? I think this could work and I have confidence in my drum programming skills as well as playing ability for the most part. This sounds to me like the cheapest way I can get a really great sounding drum recording for my album. There is always the possibility though that it just won't work well together and will sound like two separate kits. Hopefully with a bit of time engineering this I can make a coherent recording.

Refer to http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=2152772 for included samples
post edited by mattplaysguitar - 2010/12/09 19:15:23

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

71 Replies Related Threads

Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/27 04:44:13 (permalink)
    Just some thoughts Matt, as a drummer / drum programmer. Not intended to be negative in any way.

First, good cymbals are going to cost you an arm and a leg. If you do some basic research on the net, you will see that B20 alloy cymbals are the premium alloy used in most professional cymbals, and B8 the more budget version. As I see (hear) it, budget cymbals can be got away with in a loudish 'bar band' type of situation, but almost never cut it when recording, sounding very cheap and trashy. Of course this can sound great for some chinas and splashes, but generally its not going to sound good. Most drummers who take it seriously and can afford it will spend at least twice as much on their cymbals as the base drum hardware, simply in order to get a quality match and blend in their sound. If you are not prepared to spend that much on cymbals, given the quality of kits, tunings, mics and room environments in BFD and other top line drum romplers such as Superior Drummer2, then you are going to have a mismatch that is going to be difficult if not impossible to match sonically. Also remember you will own one set of cymbals, and yet have the choice of many kits. Each kit will have a cymbal set or three that will sound right for the kit and style of music, it is unlikely that one set of cymbals will do for every situation you are likely to want to perform on your album project.

For what its worth, I believe the key to getting the right cymbal sound lies in the judicious and skillful use of both the microphone bleed and overhead mic positioning in your mix. My advice for MIDI drum programming, come into Sonar as a stereo out track if you are not already doing so and do all the drum mixing within BFD itself, utilising and mastering all the mic bleed and overhead positioning and eq'ing and effects tools within the software itself to get a coherent sound.

If you are not upgraded to BFD2 then I strongly recommend doing that, for far less that the price of a single top line cymbal.

Another alternative, get either an electronic kit such as Alesis, Yamaha or Roland to play in your various grooves and upgrade your skill set. You can always then if required pull in an experienced drummer to lay down particularly difficult tracks and still have the scope to perform your own personalised editing on them pre production.

Another alternative again, if you dont have one, get a MIDI controller such as a Korg PadKontrol to speed up the initial MIDI drum track input. The skills to lay down a decent drum groove come very quickly and in a similar way to real drumming, you adopt a velocity sensitive way of playing the cymbals into the song to get musically closer to  the desired effect, adding your custom edits later if required.

Just my thoughts.

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/27 07:58:00 (permalink)
    As well as Kiosk's suggestions, here's what I do for mouse-MIDI hihats.
    I'll try to vary the sample used as often as I can.  With the EZDrummer Nashville Kit for example, there are 5 or 6 closed hihat options.  I'll vary those for how I imagine the hit placement might change as the drummer is moving between drums.  Then, I usually randomize the velocity by around 10%.
    It seems to work for me.

PS.  We might be in the minority, but I prefer to program drums by hand too.  I don't think it sounds any more mechanical than the last (extremely talented) real drummer I played with.  There were no missed/flubbed beats in our studio sessions or he'd punch in.  No exceptions, no forgiveness.  It worked well, and still sounded human.  That's what I want from my programmed tracks too.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/27 09:03:30 (permalink)
    I saw something a while back on this very topic. It was about how to get a midi drum kit/track to sound more realistic.

The whole idea is to set up the track with midi... use loops, or whatever you use to do that. Then using ONLY a high hat and a stick (or two) play the high hat along with the drum track and record it with a mic.

The simple addition of the high hat with the human factor will cause the listener to focus on the human aspect of the "drums" due to the slight timing variation in the high hat.

Its a really cool trick that works and a used high hat can be gotten pretty cheaply.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/27 09:14:49 (permalink)
    I think one reason cycmbals get such a bad rap with MIDI is that

1) Cymbals have a huge range of tone. Each players kit of cymbals sounds way different than the next players.

2) Players use their cymbals differently. Some guys bash and some guys tickle.

I agree that you can get great sounding drums editing by hand. I am still trying to figure out how to get great sounding MIDI cymbals... it's tough.

I like StudioCat's cymbal collection... it is great.

On my real kit I use the Zildjian Avedis line throughout... expensive but not exhorbitant.

best regards,
    mike

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/11/28 08:09:41

SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/27 10:20:35 (permalink)
    Great advise already given!

In the late 80's I worked with a Cook islander drummer, he taught me a lot about the finer nuances, slight variations in dynamics, fills where they feel right and all whatever to make it sound more human.  Being a black islander he has a great natural rhythm, and boy was he very fussy, he would nag, nag, nag, me, always nitpicking until I got it right! LOL!

Suggestion:

If you feel that most of your work is fairly much the same style?

Work on getting great hats happening, nice variations of velocity, dynamics and fills, also work on the cymbals.  Get all that sounding great about 5 minutes length of various ideas. Then save that project.

If midi then it's quick n easy to change the tempo, and then the usual cut/copy/paste arrange whatever way to fit the next song and if need be do some alterations but the point is; a lot of the work (performances) is already done.

That said; your album will have a style of drummer (drumming) that is consistent throughout your album, it will seem like you're using the same drummer (give him/her a name??? LOL)

-
    post edited by SongCraft - 2010/11/27 10:22:17

mattplaysguitar
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/28 01:42:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

Kiosk Project, some important things you brought up. I have access to a set of Sabian AA cymbals (though one crash is an AAX) and these use the B20 alloy you mentioned. They are a very bright cymbal according to Sabian. I don't know much in the way of cymbal sounds (really need to get into a shop and have a good listen) but had a listen to a recording by my friend of his cymbals and they sound very bright and possibly too thin. But that could be the way he is playing them as well as the recording methods used. We'll see. I'll try them out and see if it works. Just to hope they match nicely with the kit I use in BFD. I think the only way to know if it's gonna work is to just try it out and see. I have on hand a set of cheap Zildjian ZBT cymbals so I might give that a quick test to just get some sort of idea how it's going to sound so I can better prepare for the proper recording.

Guitarhacker, I have thought about doing just the HH alone but I'm worried that there may be more of a clash with the different room sounds. Then again, maybe more coherence with the main drum room sound could mean it works better. I guess I'll just try out with and without crashes and see what works.

If I get onto doing some testing in the near future I'll post some samples up here for further comments. Maybe I'll find some time next weekend.

Cheers all

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/28 03:32:42 (permalink)
    The cymbals in BFD/BFD2 can sound quite good. As with anything it's all in how you use them.

In terms of the basic idea though, even with real drums some folks will track without cymbals and then go back and do the cymbals after the fact, because of the much greater control it provides. So, even folks who could easily do it all at once sometimes don't in the studio because it provides better results.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/28 05:48:47 (permalink)
    Dean makes a good point, whatever works for you, works and the great thing about audio recording is that there are so many variables in any recording situation that there is otfen multiple solutions to any situation.

Sabian make great cymbals, and have great after sales service too. I use exclusively Sabian AAX in my live set up. They are best played with finesse to medium hits and can open up too much and sound ever so slightly trashy when overplayed, which of course adds to their versatility ans this may be a required sound in some grundgy type situations,generally though, Sabian are seen as a 'players' cymbal rather than a 'hitters'

Give it a go, if it works, it works. I stand by my original advice however as a fallback scenario

Cheers

Garry Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/28 08:08:59 (permalink)
    Sabian ought to be pretty good... the guy who owns the company is named Mr. Zildjian.

:-)

mattplaysguitar
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/28 14:51:48 (permalink)
    Ah, so it appears that Sabian and Zildjian are owned by two Zildjian brothers who hate each other. Who's the better brother?!?!

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/28 14:55:27 (permalink)
    Check this OUT>>>>>   this is the video I spoke about....

Drum tips

have fun,   great advice

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    droddey
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/28 16:09:36 (permalink)
    Definitely though don't mouse program them. If you can't do an e-kit, then use something like I do, which is the ZenDrum LT. There's one on sale on Gearslutz right now for $1000.

You get vastly more realistic results if you really play your drums. I'm not drummer either, but I've made a huge amount of progress and it's helped me a lot in terms of developing my timing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdCp1JWvZjQ

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    droddey
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/28 16:26:59 (permalink)
    Hmmm... and even better here is John explaining his new V4 ZenDrum setup. Mine is a V3, so I can't do this stuff. The new V4 can have two to four (depending on the style of ZenDrum you have) pedal inputs. So he has a closed hihat pedal and a kick drum pedal. It really makes it possible to do so much more since you really now have the same four independent things going on that a real drummer would.

I wish I could do that, but the V4 upgrade would cost me $400 plush shipping, and then a couple good pedals and it would probably be $650 or more, and I can't afford it.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/28 18:27:17 (permalink)
    you could also expand your samples base. If you are just using BFD, then you are limited to their sounds and amounts of sounds. I have a couple hat patches that I made for Kontakt that have like 60 hits each. One is from a Steve Gadd collection and one from Peter Erskine. It can be kind of a hassle mapping it out right and then knowing where everything is when you're playing it. Almost a whole production in itself:) 
    That said, I too am thinkin about getting a real hi-hat for that reason. 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

droddey
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/11/28 19:36:42 (permalink)
    All of the BFD hihats have more hits than that. Most of them have 90 or upwards, some the full 127. BFD's drum kits are extremely extensive. The ones that come with BFD itself are a little less so, because they don't want to have to ship 15 DVDs. But they sell expansion packs with the higher quality ones, and the ones that come with BFD2 itself are higher quality that the default ones that came with BFD1. BFD2 specific kits have lots of articulations per kit piece as well.

In terms of the sound, the BFD2 kits are not processed. They are like recording drums raw, well but raw. So you aren't limited really. Just as you would with a real kit, you process them to get the sound you want, which can be a pretty wide range for any given kit. For some people that's the appeal of BFD, and for others who want something quick and simple it's not so appealing.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Jeff Evans
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/01 17:21:15 (permalink)
    I would like to thank Dean for pointing out the Zendrum. This is a mighty instrument and downright amazing! Firstly I did not know it existed and that is where these forums are great. They often point us to things we did not know about.

I am looking around for a drum controller. I play drums and have a nice kit and all but I am still keen on some sort of drum controller. I was looking at Roland Octapads etc and other things but this is just incredible. You get 24 (or more) pads compared to 8 with other controllers. Also the price is very reasonable too. And the fact it is based around the use of our fingers as opposed to our arms and hands holding a stick it opens up all sorts of possibilities.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/01 18:30:25 (permalink)
    I have something very similar but it has 88 keys

droddey
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/01 18:34:51 (permalink)
    Definitely it's nothing like a keyboard. It's very hard to play drums on a keyboard, because the keys aren't really designed for that sort of percussive playing. Drum controllers feel much more like you are playing some sort of percussive surface, so they are much, much better for drumming.

The ZenDrum uses some sort of piezo electric triggers. So they aren't like the cheaper drum pad thingies, which will just wear out before too long and are prone to failure in general from the banging. 

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    droddey
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/01 18:36:18 (permalink)
    BTW, here John explains his V4 ZenDrum, which has more capabilities. He's doing what I want to do, but I can't afford to upgrade mine right now. He is using a hihat and kick drum pedal, which makes it a whole differnt sort of deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFGFfsJUPsQ

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/01 18:42:11 (permalink)
    Dean - you're right about drumming on a keyboard.  That's the way I did it for years, but it is awkward and does not lend itself for expressive drumming because it isn't meant for that, so you end up fighting it all the way.  However, Shawn Lane used a keyboard for his drumming on his Power of Ten CD which is nothing short of amazing.  He was a drummer too, which helps.

I've been using a Korg PADKontrol for a few years now.  It is holding up just fine, just like new.  Very expressive and comfortable to use.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/01 18:50:06 (permalink)
    I have a Alesis USB e-drum trap kit, a MIJ Tama Starclassic performer birch kit with 7 toms and lots of cymbals, 9 custom made Ashiko hand drums, a bunch of metal Dumbecks, a Korg PadKontrol and the keyboards.

The Zen Drum looks cool... but I really don't see how the MIDI output is much different than that from a good keyboard.

There are only 127 levels of velocity in MIDI... and even fewer in most sample sets.

I think the hot percussion controller right now is the Mandala *snare* controller.

best,
    mike

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/12/01 19:24:14

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/01 19:16:16 (permalink)
    droddey

All of the BFD hihats have more hits than that. Most of them have 90 or upwards, some the full 127. BFD's drum kits are extremely extensive. The ones that come with BFD itself are a little less so, because they don't want to have to ship 15 DVDs. But they sell expansion packs with the higher quality ones, and the ones that come with BFD2 itself are higher quality that the default ones that came with BFD1. BFD2 specific kits have lots of articulations per kit piece as well.

In terms of the sound, the BFD2 kits are not processed. They are like recording drums raw, well but raw. So you aren't limited really. Just as you would with a real kit, you process them to get the sound you want, which can be a pretty wide range for any given kit. For some people that's the appeal of BFD, and for others who want something quick and simple it's not so appealing.

well, that's interesting. I tried out BFD a few years ago and didn't really like it. I have EZ drummer, the sonar drum thing (forget the name), and addictive. I was assuming BFD was basically in the same ballpark. I really have a hard time with these drum synths though. I don't know why. I think it's because they are all pretty much designed for hitting hard. I've been leaning towards my old korg and roland hardware synths for drums lately because they pick up nuance a lot better for me. The sounds are no where near the sample based softsynths but at least I can feel something. But, then, I have to deal with the midi lag of the hardware. It's a real head scratcher for me.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Jeff Evans
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/01 20:45:16 (permalink)
    Rather than being about the midi data itself, it is about how you play and what parts of the body do the playing and how that data is input into the system. A keyboard is an excellent controller but the feel of the action and positioning of the keys may not suit drumming and finger drumming that we are talking about. The keyboard suits harmony and melody and that is what is was really intended to do and it does that so well. Yes we input percussion things from the keyboard but as a drummer myself it is not quite the same as playing holding sticks behind the kit. And playing percussion from a keyboard would be different to playing a trigger that only needs to be touched, not move a key through a distance before getting the sound. They are not alike at all.

Mandala is cool and interesting and more affordable. It seems it suits the use of drum sticks so stick control is required.  Now up to 6 or 7 zones could be fiddly to control with sticks and how well does it handle fingers. But many drummers are handy with stick control so it could be good as well. The 128 zone mode is very interesting and I like the way things can be controlled from centre to outside edge. It is a different concept again to Zendrum.

I am thinking something where more body parts are involved. eg fingers and the types of independence you can achieve with that. Zendrum straps as part of you and you are moving your body, your arms, your hands and fingers and talking to over 24 zones and all with precision timing and control. Playing over very carefully designed and laid out touch sensors. Nothing like a keyboard so then the keyboard simply cannot do anything like a Zendrum. There are some cool videos on Youtube where people have got some great melodic and harmonic sounds set up on them as well. Means interesting scales and chords and melodies not previously thought about or arrived at.

The fingers are probably very capable of creating the rhythms and when you start using your palms and parts of your arm as well then more parts of the body are getting involved now and creating sound. And as they say sounds and music created no other way. I believe it. We are now moving into finger control, speed, independence etc.. Imagine how a great tabla player would go on Zendrum. It means you can record 6 or 8 percussion parts all at once and in one pass. Fast. And because you are using only two hands you cannot really overplay the percussion parts which can so often happen when you lay down percussion parts one by one. Its the sparsness in a way that is also so attractive in the Zendrum. Some people in those videos are not playing that well and they are overplaying also. It sounds great when it is being played sequentially and by someone with fantastic time. Thanks Dean also for that great video link to the Zendrum Z4 setp with John Emrich. That is just incredible!! Yes I think the foot pedal thing would be great and I had no idea about the custom setup of your own triggers as well. That is something.

Playing the actual acoustic instruments is a step better than Zendrum. But Zendrum goes a long way to providing an exciting way to play your music in and with a lot of feel and dynamics and shifting in tone.

On the subject of doing multiple things with one's hands I pointed to a link showing the future of touch screens here:
    http://www.musiccomputing.com/motioncommand

Motion Command can sense up to six touches. Watch the videos. See how the mouse and qwerty keyboard are no longer needed. In one video there are three audio clips down the bottom on a track all after each other. With three fingers he picks them all up and places them all on tracks and all at once. Better than the mouse and going to get them one after the other. The mouse pointer is doing only one job at a time and we are using almost a whole arm (hand) to do it. Won't it be great when we can touch 3 or 6 parts of our software and control those parts at once. Workflow will get better then.

Zendrum, I want it and I want it now!

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/12/02 02:38:05

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    droddey
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/02 02:01:22 (permalink)
    As I mentioned above, there's one for sale on Gearslutz for $1000, which is a good price as long as it's in good shape, and it appears to be, and as long as it's a V4 which you could confirm. It's the LT type, as John was playing in the first video above. That's the type I have as well. It's a good setup I think, and way cheaper than getting a custom one I'd imagine, and way, way cheaper than a custom and new one.

You do have to exercise restraint when finger drumming, which takes a little getting used to. You get into it and start making "drummer face" and feeling like the 50 Foot Drummer as you sound in the headphones, and start playing too hard and maxing out all the velocities. And of course as when you are learning any new instrument, you are trying too hard and fighting yourself and that also contributes to a little lack of dynamic control.

But, I'm starting to get comfortable on it as an instrument, and laid down a part the other night were I was doing quit good at controlling my dynamics. I've been watching some other folks and getting ideas about how I might change my layout. But I SO want to get it V4'd and add the controller pedals.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    droddey
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/02 02:12:38 (permalink)
    timidi

droddey

well, that's interesting. I tried out BFD a few years ago and didn't really like it. I have EZ drummer, the sonar drum thing (forget the name), and addictive. I was assuming BFD was basically in the same ballpark. I really have a hard time with these drum synths though. I don't know why. I think it's because they are all pretty much designed for hitting hard. I've been leaning towards my old korg and roland hardware synths for drums lately because they pick up nuance a lot better for me. The sounds are no where near the sample based softsynths but at least I can feel something. But, then, I have to deal with the midi lag of the hardware. It's a real head scratcher for me.
    Oh, definitely not. BFD compared to the SONAR drum kit thing is like a Ferrari compared to a Honda. It's very powerful and has very high quality drum kits with high velocity level counts and lots of articulations. You can watch some of these videos where John is playing some of the expansion pack kits via an e-drum kit triggering BFD kits. Keeping in mind that these are meant to demonstrate the sounds, not to be entertaining as drumming videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO6D0QD0mcg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTEkLYXOKQA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JDig1vVpIQ

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Lemonboy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/02 03:16:19 (permalink)
    Another alternative is to get two Wii controllers and air drum!  

Well OK, I'm kind of making that up, but there was an article in Sound on Sound a little while ago about using Wii controllers in music via bluetooth, and there are some programs out there that supposedly translate the Wii movements to midi.  Would be interesting to have them linked to some hi hat samples 

Andy
    mattplaysguitar
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/02 04:05:01 (permalink)
    Well the good news is I'm looking to work on my drumming skills and plan to hopefully get my skills up to scratch in the next few months to play the drums myself. I have a $4000 MIDI kit (the ones with the mesh pads which feel like a real kit) I can borrow from the same friend who is also lending me his Sabian AA cymbals. I then will ensure my cymbal playing is as good as possible and if my kick playing (my weakness) isn't too great I can always fix it in sonar as necessary. I'm feeling pretty confident about this.

I was considering going down the finger drumming route but I really want to work on my drumming skills and get much tighter so I'm glad to be going there. I'm just so lucky to have a friend who is able to lend me all this awesome gear!!!

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/02 07:19:07 (permalink)
    When I bought m Alesis E drum trap kit things really got good for my work flow.

I think you will really have fun using your friends rig.

You drum like a drummer... with sticks and your feet... so besides being fun everything just sounds right.

The hi-hat remains a challenge and will remain a huge challenge for any type of hand input controller. The best I can do is to play my e drum hi hat with the best timing I can muster.

I've been experimenting with real hi-hats... but my primary interest in midi drums is actually studying the results in PRV so as to help develop my sensibility as a writer... so I continue trying to play the midi hi-hats... otherwise I'd just play the Tama rig..

With regards to using a keyboard... mappings such as IMAP make very good use of the keyboard as an input controller... it is really up to your imagination... you just have to forget the chromatic stuff and play the drums on the input controller as if there never was a reference to harmony etc.

all the best,
    mike

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/02 07:25:34 (permalink)
    One thing you will have to if you intend replacing the cymbals is go back into BFD and eliminate ALL traces of the cymbals from the Overheads/Room & Ambience channels. This includes all the bleed settings on all your other drums, otherwise you're going to end up with weird phasing artifacts, stereo imaging problems etc.

FWIW, I think you're underestimating the quality you can achieve with a little careful programming inside BFD, especially if you invest in some of the Expansion packs.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1