MIDI sampled drums and REAL cymbals played by human (NOW WITH SAMPLES)

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/07 20:48:10 (permalink)
... Yeh ... they're like a homgenous blur of bash.

Today I was pondering why all high frequency drum bells, except the HHs, are oft recorded from 'overhead' with no close mics.

I don't know why, exactly, and speculate the closed hat has a lower tonal frequency ... requiring the close mic to record its color more purely.  I'd better read Bit's latest book.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/08 00:43:45 (permalink)
Philip

... Yeh ... they're like a homgenous blur of bash.

Today I was pondering why all high frequency drum bells, except the HHs, are oft recorded from 'overhead' with no close mics.

I don't know why, exactly, and speculate the closed hat has a lower tonal frequency ... requiring the close mic to record its color more purely.  I'd better read Bit's latest book.

It's more likely for reasons of having more control in the final mix as the hats are usually an integral part of the rhythm.  They normally pick up well in the OH's anyway and the close mic is normally used for re-enforcement mainly, to keep definition.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/08 01:14:16 (permalink)
For a long time I never really miked hats up close. They do slip in rather well not only into the OHeads but also the snare mic too as it is so close. And if you don't attempt to gate the snare or use downward expanders etc the hats come through rather well.

But for the last few years I have been close miking hats and and I think it has been better for it. You can really filter the OHeads anyway if you need and you can do things to the snare track without fear of the hats being lost or mutilated in some way. You also have a lot of control over the hat sound and even at rather low volumes in a mix they just add that close tight ticking sound that contributes so much to the overall feel and rhythm.

Also if the groove just involves kick snare and hats and toms say then you don't always need the OHeads in the picture either and you can automate them down for an even closer drum sound. Some of these new tight convolution reverbs sound killer on close miked drum grooves.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/08 07:27:53 (permalink)
The reason you mic the hi hats is that there's always one song in the set where the drummer plays brushes...

The last time I did not place a hi hat close mic it bit me in the butt... cause the drummer played TWO songs with brushes.

:-)

Jonbouy
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/08 08:26:46 (permalink)
The last time I did not place a hi hat close mic it bit me in the butt... cause the drummer played TWO songs with brushes.

Exactly, just like I said...

mattplaysguitar
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1992
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/09 19:09:51 (permalink)
Well, I did a quick experiment. Two versions, one with BFD hats and one with using Zildjian ZBT hats which I recorded with just a Behringer B1 cause I couldn't be bothered setting up my Rode K2's which I will use in the future. Mic was pretty close at only 1 foot away. My playing isn't too great yet so used audio snap to 50% and a hint of eq to brighten it a little. Couldn't be bothered compressing, though it needs it. Recorded in a standard bedroom with no acoustic treatment.

Real Hats
Sampled Hats

I really need to work on my playing to tighten up my hats a lot, but I think the experiment was a success. With the minimal effort I put into it I think it fits in quite well. Certainly sounds a LOT different but the variation in the real hats is much more noticeable which I like (the loseness of the hats and the variation in how they are hit).

I think when I actually put the effort into this with a good room, good good mics and good cymbals (assuming my playing improves a little... may need to get my friend to do it...) then I think this should be very successful.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/09 19:36:55 (permalink)
I like the results too.

Nice.

best,
mike

Jonbouy
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/09 21:05:57 (permalink)
I really need to work on my playing to tighten up my hats a lot, but I think the experiment was a success. With the minimal effort I put into it I think it fits in quite well. Certainly sounds a LOT different but the variation in the real hats is much more noticeable which I like (the loseness of the hats and the variation in how they are hit).

Thanks for posting that Matt.

Sounds tight enough to me I think you are being hard on yourself a bit there.  Single mono mic in a bedroom and nobody is going to say they sound rubbish which goes to show you don't need a 'Hit Factory' of a room or boutique mics to get the job done.

You'll hit on the recipe you like for eq/comp settings in no time.

Sounds perfect on this organic sounding track.

mattplaysguitar
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/09 23:28:33 (permalink)
Sounds tight enough to me I think you are being hard on yourself a bit there. 

That's cause I quantised it 50% with audiosnap Without it the playing was WAY too sloppy. Didn't match up with the tight kick and snare at all - which I think both should be a bit loser still to fit in better with the slightly lose hats after my quantisation.

Single mono mic in a bedroom and nobody is going to say they sound rubbish which goes to show you don't need a 'Hit Factory' of a room or boutique mics to get the job done.

Yeah this really shocked me that it sounds as good as it does for a 20 minute job!

Thanks for listening, guys!

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/10 00:07:30 (permalink)
I have found that sometimes when you are sitting there just doing a high hat part with two hands and even if you are a skilled player, the feel may not be quite the same as the way the high hat part feels as part of a total groove being laid down using all four limbs. Your body is swinging or moving in a different way.

I think you need the metronome clear and also if you put the metrnome on the off beat ie and after 1 and after two etc your high hat part will come out a bit different too. Playing grooves to off beat met tracks is just the best. (the reason is that the on beat is clear and the met is not making any sound making what you do a lot clearer)

Doing Kick and snare grooves without hats can be a bit interesting too feel wise. I still like it a lot when it is all going down together. Splitting up drum parts is not so natural maybe.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Jonbouy
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/10 00:25:10 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

I have found that sometimes when you are sitting there just doing a high hat part with two hands and even if you are a skilled player, the feel may not be quite the same as the way the high hat part feels as part of a total groove being laid down using all four limbs. Your body is swinging or moving in a different way.

I think you need the metronome clear and also if you put the metrnome on the off beat ie and after 1 and after two etc your high hat part will come out a bit different too. Playing grooves to off beat met tracks is just the best. (the reason is that the on beat is clear and the met is not making any sound making what you do a lot clearer)

Doing Kick and snare grooves without hats can be a bit interesting too feel wise. I still like it a lot when it is all going down together. Splitting up drum parts is not so natural maybe.

The whole thread is about compromise isn't it?

Sure I'd bet we'd all like a rhythm ace to take part and track all our songs, but I thought this was how to get a good shot of realism working within that limited context that many of us face in real terms.

As I said on many 'real' performances the actual drums are masked by drum replacement software anyway and this is a great 'try it at home' method as Matt has just conclusively proved.

I don't buy the 'it feels odd' playing parts in isolation, if you've ever tracked a vocal for the first time boy does that feel odd, but you soon get used to it and over the self-conciousness of it. IOW you'll get better at it the more you do it.

Besides many folk here are using electronic kits so why not record real cymbals with a pair of OH's when you do your midi take?

Sure you'll get the clunks from hitting the drum pads so you get a choice of editing them out, no big deal on a 3 minute song, or even using them like a trash mic and mixing them in with your chosen drum sounds, who knows it may even help the finished transient have more punch, whatever it's another weapon of choice.

I'm all for more trying stuff out and less theorizing.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/12/10 00:34:25

mattplaysguitar
Re:MIDI mouse programmed drums and REAL cymbals played by human 2010/12/10 00:27:56 (permalink)
You're right about it feeling weird!! I played the snare onto a pillow and prettended I was using a kick. This helped give me the accents I would normally give on the hats, but I wouldn't be surprised if it screwed my timing up a little from not being able properly 'feel' the groove. I played it along to the whole song as in the samples but simply muted the BFD hats. Maybe it would work better if I played along with the BFD hats too.

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1