Helpful ReplyMembership FAQ

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
2017/11/24 16:18:11 (permalink)

Membership FAQ

Some of you may be concerned about the servers going down.
To be honest, I think Cakewalk will offer a fix before this happens, so no need for panic.

However one can see from the Membership FAQ where you stand as far as the servers going down.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2016000074/Membership-FAQ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My membership expired, can I still use my software?

This depends on if you officially "own" it.
  • If you paid "upfront" or through the "annual" payment option, then you are given 12 months of updates and automatically own your version of SONAR.
  • If you paid "monthly" or through the "rent-to-own" payment option, then you must complete 12 consecutive payments to obtain ownership status.

How do I check if I "own" my version of SONAR?

Simply launch SONAR and then go to the Help > About menu. If you see the words "Status: owned", then you own it! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a simple test:
1- Go to device manager and disable your Wi-Fi, broadband, exc connection or simply unplug your internet.
2- Open Sonar and create a test project and save it.
3- If you are able to save your project then you will be able to use Sonar without the servers for as long as you live.

If this is what you see then you can not make an Offline authorization. However it is nice to have a back up off line authorization.
If you have another PC install sonar and go through the steps
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013384/Offline-Activation

1- After installing SONAR, open the Help menu > Offline Activation > Export Activation Request to open the Save activation request dialog box
2- Select the folder to which you want to save the activation request, then click Save. This generates an activation request file with a .crq extension
3- Copy the .crq file to an online computer (using a USB drive, for example).
4- Open SONAR's Help menu > Offline Activation > Import Activation Response to open the Import activation response dialog box
5- Select the .dat file that you downloaded and click Open. A toast notification will let you know that SONAR is activated and ready to use.

This off line authorization will be good for the life of Sonar.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

guitarwiz1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/24 16:35:43 (permalink)
Mine says: Valid through 6/14/2018 -Status owned.
What concerns me is I still owe two more payments.
Do I need to make those payments or should I cancel my auto pay?

I'm still fairly new to Sonar and would like to continue using it. I have looked at some of the other D.A.W's and they seem to be way out of my price range for what I actually need it for. Reaper seems to fit the bill, but I like what I have going now.

If I am able to use Sonar after the 6/14/2018 I'll be happy. I'll just miss the bug fixes and feature updates.

Sonar Artist (Latest Version)
Custom Built AMD FX 6300, Windows 10 Home
Gigabyte  990fxa-ud3 MB, WD Blue 1TB HD.
NVIDIA GTX 750ti, 16 gig crucial ballistix sport
Behringer UMC204HD, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro, Fender Mustang III.
chuckebaby
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/24 16:40:03 (permalink)
You should be all set.
However I cant help you with payment decisions. I (personally speaking) would not be making anymore payments to Cakewalk.
Noel or Keith will have an answer for use shortly.
it was Thanksgiving here in the US yesterday and typically Friday is also observed. Though I see them working diligently trying to come up with a solution.

Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB

rmfegley
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 114
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/24 16:46:46 (permalink)
There's one thing that perhaps I've misunderstood since I first upgraded to Platinum from X3 on a monthly payment plan. I upgraded and started making monthly payments in 2/2016. I made my 12th consecutive payment in 1/2017, which gave me ownership of Platinum, including all the updates I'd received up until that point. However, I was under the impression that the 12 consecutive monthly payment requirement would start again in order to keep ownership of all the updates that I began getting in 2/2017, and that if I stopped making payments before making 12 more consecutive payments, my ownership would revert to only those updates I'd received as of 1/2017.

In retrospect, that idea seems like it would be a prohibitively complicated licensing scheme, which would require me to reinstall the last updated version from my previous 12 month plan. So the case is instead that, regardless of Cakewalk's current status, I own also the nine updates I've paid for and received this year as well? Yes, when I checked the About screen it does say "owned."

And I guess the other issue is authorization should I need to reinstall, which I guess Noel Borthwick has unofficially addressed elsewhere. I'd sure feel a little more at ease about it if I actually had said licensing file delivered to me and stored somewhere.

Sonar Platinum latest update
Windows 10 Home
i7-4790 CPU
ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 960
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 
Alesis VI49 Keyboard/controller
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 keyboard/controller
Native Instruments Maschine Mk3

Native Instruments Maschine Jam
Native Instruments Komplete 10
Various other commercial and free plugins
&
chuckebaby
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/24 18:40:36 (permalink)
rmfegley
There's one thing that perhaps I've misunderstood since I first upgraded to Platinum from X3 on a monthly payment plan. I upgraded and started making monthly payments in 2/2016. I made my 12th consecutive payment in 1/2017, which gave me ownership of Platinum, including all the updates I'd received up until that point. However, I was under the impression that the 12 consecutive monthly payment requirement would start again in order to keep ownership of all the updates that I began getting in 2/2017, and that if I stopped making payments before making 12 more consecutive payments, my ownership would revert to only those updates I'd received as of 1/2017.

In retrospect, that idea seems like it would be a prohibitively complicated licensing scheme, which would require me to reinstall the last updated version from my previous 12 month plan. So the case is instead that, regardless of Cakewalk's current status, I own also the nine updates I've paid for and received this year as well? Yes, when I checked the About screen it does say "owned."

And I guess the other issue is authorization should I need to reinstall, which I guess Noel Borthwick has unofficially addressed elsewhere. I'd sure feel a little more at ease about it if I actually had said licensing file delivered to me and stored somewhere.

I agree with you man.
But set up an offline authorization if possible. Its not like your going to get any more rolling updates.
By the way, I agree about the unauthorized post from Noel.
they need to get here soon and announce at least their plan to users. Not "We will be in touch".

I cant stand third person "I heard from so and so".
They need to post something today.

SiberianKhatru59
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 235
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/24 21:35:47 (permalink)
So since my "About" box says "Valid Through ∞" and "Status: Owned", does this mean I don't have to worry about authorization anymore?  Or do I only have to worry about it during machine rebuilds and or new machine installs? 

Obviously, this is confusing for those of us who, you know, only want to make music and actually paid the price of entry (and then some) -- IE, I never bothered looking into it before because I didn't think I had to.

SONAR Platinum, Win7 Home Premium 64bit, Sweetwater Creation Station CS250v21 (Ivy Bridge Core i5 3.4Ghz CPU, 12GB DDR3/1600Mhz RAM, 500GB/1TB Seagate Barracuda system/audio drives, SATA 6.0, USB 3.0), M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB, 2x KRK Rokit 5's, Yamaha MO8
chuckebaby
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/24 23:51:46 (permalink)
SiberianKhatru59
So since my "About" box says "Valid Through ∞" and "Status: Owned", does this mean I don't have to worry about authorization anymore?  Or do I only have to worry about it during machine rebuilds and or new machine installs? 

Obviously, this is confusing for those of us who, you know, only want to make music and actually paid the price of entry (and then some) -- IE, I never bothered looking into it before because I didn't think I had to.

you'll be good until you do a rebuild or try to install it on a second PC.
That's why I suggest making an off line authorization now.

Of course I don't think Cakewalk is going to leave us out in the cold.
I just want a back up plan personally. that's why I posted this info hoping to help others.

Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/24 23:57:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cat Cave 2017/11/25 00:47:34
We've had a message from Noel that in the event the authorisation server is turned off legal users will get a permanent authorisation code that will work for all your re-installs and re-builds.

See the sticky.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

SiberianKhatru59
  • Total Posts : 235
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/25 04:26:04 (permalink)
Thanks Chuck and Karyn for the info.

SONAR Platinum, Win7 Home Premium 64bit, Sweetwater Creation Station CS250v21 (Ivy Bridge Core i5 3.4Ghz CPU, 12GB DDR3/1600Mhz RAM, 500GB/1TB Seagate Barracuda system/audio drives, SATA 6.0, USB 3.0), M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB, 2x KRK Rokit 5's, Yamaha MO8
SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/25 04:41:54 (permalink)
Valid through: ∞  Status: owned

So yeah, I look forward to keeping my license alive for a long time - with and without the servers.

chuckebaby
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/25 13:01:17 (permalink)

In the event Gibson turns that server off right now, we are all screwed.
Im actually a little shocked that im the only one who is looking at worst case scenario here.
I love Cakewalk but when any company closes down, they don't owe their users anything.
I think its a very kind gesture of Cakewalk to create this "permanent authorization code". They owe it to their users.

However, what if its not done by the time the servers go down ?
Hence the reason for this thread. Something I have yet to see a thread titled. IE - A clear explanation of what membership means and what will happen if the servers go down before we are given this "permanent authorization code".

Im not waiting around for a fix from a company that is no more. Im creating a fail safe back up plan.
So if I do reinstall Sonar at a later date, I have an off line authorization code.

Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/25 13:31:05 (permalink)
guitarwiz1

I'm still fairly new to Sonar and would like to continue using it. I have looked at some of the other D.A.W's and they seem to be way out of my price range for what I actually need it for. Reaper seems to fit the bill, but I like what I have going now.

If I am able to use Sonar after the 6/14/2018 I'll be happy. I'll just miss the bug fixes and feature updates.

I would ASSUME that you'll still need to pay your last two installments.
You had the option to pay at once, or split it over 12 payments.  It's not a subscription, regardless of the terminolgoy.  Cakewalk (as a business) hasn't shut.  It's just the future development/support that's stopped.  So while you won't get any upgrades, you're still probably obligated to pay for what you've got.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
chuckebaby
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/25 14:10:44 (permalink)
Slugbaby
guitarwiz1

You had the option to pay at once, or split it over 12 payments.  It's not a subscription, regardless of the terminolgoy.  Cakewalk (as a business) hasn't shut.  It's just the future development/support that's stopped.  So while you won't get any upgrades, you're still probably obligated to pay for what you've got.

AFAIK Cakewalk has frozen all its assets. The Cakewalk store is closed.
I'm guessing as a kind gesture, users that were on a pay to own plan will receiver an unlock code.
As Cakewalk can not fulfill their obligations to customers, customers shouldn't make any more payments.
that's just my 2 cents though. 

RickJP909
  • Total Posts : 155
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/25 14:29:05 (permalink)
chuckebaby

In the event Gibson turns that server off right now, we are all screwed.
Im actually a little shocked that im the only one who is looking at worst case scenario here.
I love Cakewalk but when any company closes down, they don't owe their users anything.
I think its a very kind gesture of Cakewalk to create this "permanent authorization code". They owe it to their users.

However, what if its not done by the time the servers go down ?
Hence the reason for this thread. Something I have yet to see a thread titled. IE - A clear explanation of what membership means and what will happen if the servers go down before we are given this "permanent authorization code".

Im not waiting around for a fix from a company that is no more. Im creating a fail safe back up plan.
So if I do reinstall Sonar at a later date, I have an off line authorization code.

Thank you Chuck for this very useful thread.  I was never comfortable with this form of activation since the release of Platinum so when I upgraded from X2a and took the special lifetime payment option, I did an offline activation then and there!

So and excuse me if I'm being a little dense but are you suggesting that we run another install on another machine and then perform the offline activation there?

But can you have two licensed machines registered in your Cakewalk portal and if you follow your suggestion, surely that means that license is only good for that single install?

Cheers! :-)

Synth Hardware Aficionado!  Moog Sub 37, Roland MKS-70/XV-5080/JV-1000/JP-8000/JP-8080/Boutique JP-08, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Korg EX-8000/MS2000B, Novation Super Bass Station/A-Station/Drum Station 2/Supernova 2, E-MU Orbit-3, Edirol UM-550/880, Lexicon MX300, Akai MPD226, Mackie ProFX22, M-Audio Delta Soundcard.  PC: AMD FX-6350, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Sonar X2a Producer/Platinum (32-bit).
guitarwiz1
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/25 14:31:39 (permalink)
chuckebaby
Slugbaby
guitarwiz1

I'm guessing as a kind gesture, users that were on a pay to own plan will receiver an unlock code.
As Cakewalk can not fulfill their obligations to customers, customers shouldn't make any more payments.

chuckebaby
Slugbaby
guitarwiz1

My two remaining payments only equal $10.00 so that's not a big problem.
I just don't want to cancel my payments and be locked out of the software, and at the same time I don't want to make the final two and still get locked out.

I sent a support ticket, so I'll wait for an official response before I make a decision. (That is...if there is anyone to read the ticket.)

Sonar Artist (Latest Version)
Custom Built AMD FX 6300, Windows 10 Home
Gigabyte  990fxa-ud3 MB, WD Blue 1TB HD.
NVIDIA GTX 750ti, 16 gig crucial ballistix sport
Behringer UMC204HD, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro, Fender Mustang III.
M@
  • Total Posts : 221
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/25 16:04:46 (permalink)
chuckebaby

But that offline authorization would only work on the exact PC configuration the authorization-request was started from? Or not? Any user who upgrades their PC e.g. from regular HDD to SSD will likely need re aurhorization.....

Tracking: Sonar Platinum (X3 Producer, X2 studio, X1 expanded, 8.3) (64bit)
System: Win10 Pro (64bit), Asus  P8Z77 V Le Plus, I7-3770k, 16GB Ram, SSD System drive, Raid1 Recording & Backup drive, VS-700 Set, TC Konnekt 48
Instruments: Roland Juno Stage, Kawai CA5, Washburn X50Pro, Blackstar-One100, Merida,...
gustabo
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/25 16:13:35 (permalink)
M@
chuckebaby

But that offline authorization would only work on the exact PC configuration the authorization-request was started from? Or not? Any user who upgrades their PC e.g. from regular HDD to SSD will likely need re aurhorization.....

I didn't, nor moving from Win7 to Win10 did I need a reauthorization.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

SandlinJohn
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/25 17:01:33 (permalink)
gustabo
I didn't, nor moving from Win7 to Win10 did I need a reauthorization.

But did you use the Command Center, or did you reuse the "offline" activation keys?
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/25 17:06:09 (permalink)
M@

I think this is a valid point as I think the code generated by SONAR at the time of activation is linked to computer hardware.

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
chuckebaby
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/25 17:18:44 (permalink)
Im still working on a test platform to answer your questions.
But I know users who have installed platinum on as many as 4 PC's
Here is one example: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3306029

The authorization file (.CRQ) is so tiny, around 140KB, I don't think it stores Mobo info which is what authorization to PC is about. It just stores a file with your name, account info to off line authorize.
This prevents users sharing the authorization with others as a crack. This way Cakewalk could easily trace it back to you.

bwbalint
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 296
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/25 17:48:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/11/25 20:15:37
Chuck, thanks much for the offline authorization info.  I went ahead and did this on another laptop that I have at home as you suggested.  It worked just fine.  If I can, I would add the address and couple of steps as  you navigate back to at Cakewalk to put in the .crq file:

Using an online computer, navigate to    www.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Offline-Activation  and sign in with your       Cakewalk ID and password.      
Upload the saved Activation request.crq file.
The Cakewalk web server generates a Activation response.dat file.
Copy the Activation response.dat file to removable media that you can transfer back to your offline SONAR computer.

Cakewalk's response with the .dat file was literally 2 seconds.  It all went seemlessly!

Thanks for all your comments, tips, and suggestions over the years.  I really do appreciate it!

Bart

CbB latest incarnation, Focusrite Scarlett (2nd generation), WIN10 1809 build,  , MCU pro , Yamaha Motif classic 6 , focusrite ASA one
AndrewLMacaulay
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/26 14:19:48 (permalink)
chuckebaby
Some of you may be concerned about the servers going down.
To be honest, I think Cakewalk will offer a fix before this happens, so no need for panic.

However one can see from the Membership FAQ where you stand as far as the servers going down.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2016000074/Membership-FAQ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My membership expired, can I still use my software?

This depends on if you officially "own" it.
  • If you paid "upfront" or through the "annual" payment option, then you are given 12 months of updates and automatically own your version of SONAR.
  • If you paid "monthly" or through the "rent-to-own" payment option, then you must complete 12 consecutive payments to obtain ownership status.

How do I check if I "own" my version of SONAR?

Simply launch SONAR and then go to the Help > About menu. If you see the words "Status: owned", then you own it! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a simple test:
1- Go to device manager and disable your Wi-Fi, broadband, exc connection or simply unplug your internet.
2- Open Sonar and create a test project and save it.
3- If you are able to save your project then you will be able to use Sonar without the servers for as long as you live.

If this is what you see then you can not make an Offline authorization. However it is nice to have a back up off line authorization.
If you have another PC install sonar and go through the steps
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013384/Offline-Activation

1- After installing SONAR, open the Help menu > Offline Activation > Export Activation Request to open the Save activation request dialog box
2- Select the folder to which you want to save the activation request, then click Save. This generates an activation request file with a .crq extension
3- Copy the .crq file to an online computer (using a USB drive, for example).
4- Open SONAR's Help menu > Offline Activation > Import Activation Response to open the Import activation response dialog box
5- Select the .dat file that you downloaded and click Open. A toast notification will let you know that SONAR is activated and ready to use.

This off line authorization will be good for the life of Sonar.

... but can we confirm whether this offline activation is tied to the PC in some way, as doing this on a second PC would then seem to not have a benefit. However, if the activation IS completely independent of the PC hardware and operating system, then this is absolutely a great way to protect ourselves.

Can someone tell us 100% if the offline activation is locked to a device or not (suspect the only way to test is to install on a couple of "virgin" machines, get offline activated on one and test on the other - that's me for the next few hours then....)
bass2rez
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/26 17:23:17 (permalink)
I too am very interested in whether the offline activation code generated by the above described method will work on a separate computer.

I have my main laptop that I use as my Sonar computer that has been activated Online and the Help -> About Sonar.. reports "Valid through infinity. Status: owned.". This would seem to mean that I cannot create an offline install file for this specific computer.

If I install Sonar on another computer purely for the purpose of creating the offline registration file, that is not the computer I will wish to use for Sonar in the future, as it's only an old i3 processor laptop, too underpowered for Sonar use. 

What I need is a way I can install Sonar on any computer of my choosing in the future and to be able to use the offline activation on that (new) computer, which I do not yet own.

So, the test that Andrew has kindly suggested he will try is a very important test.  If you do manage to complete that test, I'd be very interested in the outcome.

Thanks,
Steve

JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/26 17:35:53 (permalink)
Ok so this gives some confidence that I'll be able to upgrade my PC or do a clean install from time to time and still be able to unlock Sonar once I install it.

But that brings up a different question. How do I install Sonar once Command Center no longer exists? I bought online and downloaded everything. I'll check but I don't believe I still have the original install file. And even if I do, that would be the original install file. There have been many updates and changes since then. How to do I get those back once I do a reinstall?

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
bass2rez
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/26 17:46:24 (permalink)
You should find that you have all the Command Center downloaded installer files with all the different versions of all the applications in the following folder:

C:\Cakewalk\Command Center\Downloads

Or somewhere similar if you changed the install paths.

Cheers,
Steve
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/26 17:47:01 (permalink)
If you've installed via the Command Center then all of your downloads will be in C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Command Center\Downloads UNLESS you've changed the default path OR cleared them out

If you've cleared them out, go to your My Products page on Cakwalk.com and download them again

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
bwbalint
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 296
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/26 18:50:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bass2rez 2017/11/26 21:49:34
Not good news.  I had generated the offline Sonar Plt activation response.dat for another computer I had.  Sonar PLT activated easily and went into full ownership mode.  My wife let me install Sonar PLT on a different computer of hers.  I used the same Activation response.dat file I used for my computer.  NO GO! On her computer, Sonar PLT refuses to activate and sweetly confirms that it is still in DEMO mode. 

Hence, on my computers anyway, a Activation Response.dat file WILL NOT activate Sonar PLT on a different computer.  Maybe I will delete Sonar on my first computer, and then see if the Activation Response.dat file will work again on that one. This looks to be very computer specific right now!  

CbB latest incarnation, Focusrite Scarlett (2nd generation), WIN10 1809 build,  , MCU pro , Yamaha Motif classic 6 , focusrite ASA one
AndrewLMacaulay
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/26 21:21:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bass2rez 2017/11/26 21:49:41
Yes, not good news.... I've also confirmed this - and the challenge response mode for older versions/software such as Dimension Pro, Z3TA+ (version 1), Sonar X1/2/3, Rapture (not pro) - and I'm sure others as well - are all tied to the specific computer using some form of key based on the hardware (and potentially software, etc.).

As a second test, I generated the request key on a different machine (testing with Rapture Pro), and the requests (which you can open up in Notepad to see - they are simply an encrypted text string) are indeed different 

One thing that I can't easily test (without regressing the BIOS and risking all that), but which I'm pretty sure about: I've not noticed any Cakewalk software being like some other programs which need a new key every time you have to update the machine's BIOS! I just hope that this is the case...

Anyway, I'm going to try to play with ways to create a set of keys for my Music PC - at least making this resilient to future issues - but I suspect it will need me to create a new Windows bootable disk, install on that and then create the keys (hoping that the key is not also tied to anything specific around the hard disk drive). But that's for another day when I have a bit more time!
bass2rez
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/26 21:53:15 (permalink)
Many thanks to bwbalint and AndrewLMacaulay for carrying out those tests, very much appreciated.

Shame the news is not what we hoped.

Thanks,
Steve
Tom B
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Membership FAQ 2017/11/26 22:05:28 (permalink)
Thanks Chuck for explaining and testing the procedure.  And, thanks to those who have been testing the process.

My installation of SONAR Platinum is 'status: owned' (online activation).   Question:  When I install SONAR on a second 'offline' system, does this mean I need to use the downloaded install 'exe' files directly?  Or, can I still use Command Center to install and avoid 'online' activation?

- Tom B.
See the new Cakewalk by Bandlab Forum - Jan 2019.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1