Helpful ReplyMidi-Guitar Software

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
Cooltouch
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/10/20 01:20:51 (permalink)
Thanks, guys. Scook also posted a link to a working d/l page over at another thread that I started for the YouRock guitar. I've d/l'd and installed MIDI Guitar v0.9.3 and . . . well, let's just say it's been a journey, but I'm glad I've arrived.

Once I got MG to make sounds I had some real problems and it all had to do with my overthinking things. I have a sort of complex setup, which is a DAW I built years ago and to which I've added and upgraded things as it's needed them.  Part of my problem was the fact that I have two sound cards installed into my system. Recently, out of simple expediency, I've had most audio activities outputted to an old Sound Blaster card -- an oldie but goodie, it has good specs and actually does a good job. But as I was struggling with things, I got to thinking maybe the SB card was the problem, so I set it aside, figuratively speaking, and centered in on my other sound card, which is the system's main in/out card -- an M-Audio Delta 66 24/96 card. The Delta 66 exhibited mostly the same problems as the SB, though, which was terrible latency and many tracking issues. I should mention here that I was having to use ASIO in order to get to first base with MG -- with either card.

So anyway, as I was wrestling with the problem, I noticed down at the bottom of the WDM list in VSIO's settings window an inconspicuous little "io|2" -- which I knew stood for the device I was using to bring my guitar's signal into the computer -- an Alesis iO2 Express:

http://www.alesis.com/io2express

I bought the iO2 Express originally so I could bring a guitar signal into my laptop via USB. I actually have a 12-channel Mackie mixer and the M-Audio Delta 66 to handle those chores with my DAW. But, yeah, I was avoiding having to get that deep into my DAW at this point, so I just grabbed the Alesis instead and plugged it into a handy USB port. Which actually made things more complicated than they needed to be, but live and learn. Just as an aside, here, the M-Audio M-Track is identical to the Alesis iO2 Express -- the only difference between the two is the Alesis is silver colored with chrome knobs and the M-Audio is black with black knobs. Other than that, they are identical down to the last screw.

So anyway, with growing feelings of frustration, I clicked on the io|2 object and saw it was showing an in and out, so I clicked on them and immediately noticed a trace move across "Waveform's" screen. I flicked a string on the guitar, and I heard sound! WTF.

I grabbed the guitar and hit a few notes, and hey! Essentially no latency! And most of the artifact problems were gone. I had been struggling with a latency of over one-half second before, trying to bring the sound in through my sound cards. When all MG needed was just the sound converted from analog to digital.  Even though the signal coming from my sound cards was still an unprocessed analog signal at 24/48, I guess the length of the path the signal took was just too much. Anyway, problem solved.

I mentioned above that I made things more complicated than they needed to be because if I wouldn't have been so averse to just firing up the ol' DAW, I could have just plugged into one of the channels of the Mackie and that would have been it. No additional device needed.

Anyway, I've spent about an hour now playing around with MG, and I gotta say, I'm impressed. It seems to be functionally no different than if I were playing my guitar through my Roland GR-33 guitar synth. Although I don't seem to have quite as many artifact issues with my Roland, to be honest. I gotta say, it's really annoying the way MG plays back many of the notes I hit on the 5th and 6th string a half step sharp. I know why it's happening. If I hit the string with a bit too much force, I can get it to go sharp on me. Problem is, it's unpredictable. Sometimes it takes less force than expected to get the string's tone to go sharp. So I played around with the "Sensitivity" some. I had it cranked up to 98 initially, then I tried turning it down. I noticed when I did so that the artifacts decreased. But not so much the half-step-sharp issue. Maybe a little better. And the Pitch Sensitivity -- I don't know what to make of it. If I crank the sensitivity down on a specific note, will that cause the note to have less volume?  If so, that could be a problem.  But it looks like if I took the trouble to keep track of specific notes I'm having a problem with, it might be of some use. Do y'all use this feature?

Okay, I'm done. I'm gonna go play with my YouRock MIDI Guitar some more and see if I can come to some sort of decision.

Best,

Michael
Cooltouch
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/10/26 05:06:20 (permalink)
Guys, I was just doing some more searching on the YouRock and I ran across a thread where BAPU had bought one, then returned it. BAPU, I'll bet you bought a gen1 product. The gen2 version is way better than the old one. Y'all were mentioning not being able to strum with a MIDI controller. Well, I can strum like Johnny Cash on my YouRock.  Or John Lennon, if you prefer.  The gen2 is really surprisingly good at how well it tracks.

My biggest problem with it right now is I can't get Sonar X2 to produce any sounds with it. The track meter is responding, so there's a signal getting to the track, but from there on, there's nothing. No meter movements in the master panel, for example.  I double checked to make sure I had assigned everything properly, you know, all the i,o,c,b,p stuff. I'm still pretty new to Sonar, but usually when I'm having a problem with not being able to hear something, it's because I've gotten one of those settings wrong. Maybe I oughta start a thread on this if I can't get it figured out.
post edited by Cooltouch - 2013/10/26 05:19:43

Best,

Michael
cecelius2
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1494
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/10/27 16:58:33 (permalink)
Just read over at the KVR thread that Midiguitar has had a minor update, no tracking update but some bugs fixed.  Either Go to the JamOrigins site or the KVR thread to get the download: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359095&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=975

------
0.9.4 BETA Released 

We have recently been doing more work on general tracking, including recognizing bass notes, but its not yet ready to go. So meanwhile we are releasing a minor update or two. Version 0.9.4 is ready for download now. There are no changes in tracking compared to 0.9.3, but many minor bugs have been fixed, compatibility issues with some VST plugins and a few new features including: 

* Fixed crash when loading some VST plugins. 
* CPU usage meter and warning about lack of CPU power. 
* Checking for updates is optional. 
* Pitch bend enable/disable parameter. 
* AudioUnit MIDI Output support. Not supported in most DAWS. 
* Fixed issue with instrument and effect programs not being set correctly when 
loading a project. 

jimtzu
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/02 18:46:45 (permalink)
i've been using MG as a stand alone for broadcasting and haven't touched the DAW end of it for a while.  i know i had it working before, even had a template made.  but now i can't get it to work... the "enable midi output" will not activate. i've read some threads on here about that but nothing so far has helped.  am i missing some part of the process that needs to be done with each update of MG?  is this a Sonar thing?  it's probably something simple as usual that i'm missing.  

Intel quad core, 16 Gigs RAM, M-Audio Delta 44 interface, M-Audio Midisport, Win 7 x64, Platinum

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/02 19:30:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jimtzu 2013/11/03 17:14:36
Depending on when you last used MIDI Guitar, there was a change between 0.7.4 and 0.7.5 that broke the 64bit VST installation. The dll name changed from "MIDIGuitar 64.dll" to "MIDIGuitar64.dll". As a result, the plug-in needed to be rescanned and the registry edit (step #4 in http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2749799) needed to be made again for the new dll.
Cooltouch
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/03 09:44:08 (permalink)
Well, also over at the KVR thread, there was one guy who claims that v0.9.3 is crashing Sonar X2, X3 and Win 7 64bit. I haven't tried it yet in Sonar X2, but I'm running Win 7 64-bit and my OS hasn't had any issues with v0.9.3. But if he's having problems, others might too. So if you're running 0.9.3, you might want to upgrade to the lastet beta -- 0.9.4 -- which is mostly a bugfix from what I've read. I haven't d/l'd and installed it yet. Honestly, I'm waiting for JamO to vastly improve tracking before I'm gonna do anymore with it.

Best,

Michael
jimtzu
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/03 20:20:39 (permalink)
hmmm i updated to MG 9.4 and redid everything....  noticing that (even on the previous version) that MG was only showing up in the VSTi section after being scanned in Sonar instead of the audio effects section.  which means i can't use it as an effect, i can insert in an audio track as a vsti but no way to enable midi output.  not sure what's going on there and why it's not showing in the effects section... ideas?

Intel quad core, 16 Gigs RAM, M-Audio Delta 44 interface, M-Audio Midisport, Win 7 x64, Platinum

scook
Forum Host
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/03 20:45:26 (permalink)
That is correct, it will show in the synth plug-in section. Just drop the plug-in in the FX bin, it will also show up in the synth rack where you can enable MIDI output if you want to drive a synth in another track. Then add a synth to the project and set synth MIDI input to MIDI Guitar. Alternately, after adding MIDI Guitar to the FX bin, you can add the synth directly in the MIDI Guitar plug-in (just like the stand alone) if you do not want a separate MIDI track.
post edited by scook - 2013/11/03 20:48:02
jimtzu
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/03 22:09:13 (permalink)
well if i have it set right i'm back to the problem of not being able to enable the midi output of MG when it's in the FX box.  being able to manipulate the midi in it's own track is one of the reasons i got this.  i know i had it before.  is this a Sonar issue with the enable function?

scook
Forum Host
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/03 22:17:22 (permalink)
It should not be a problem. After dropping the MIDI Guitar in the FX bin, MIDI Guitar should also be in the synth rack. Open the synth rack, right click on MIDI Guitar and enable MIDI out. At least that is how it works in X2a for me. You have verified the MIDI Guitar generateEvents registry entry is set to 1.
post edited by scook - 2013/11/03 22:20:31
jimtzu
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/03 22:26:05 (permalink)
yeah i checked the registry entry and it's correct, but i when i right click on MG to enable nothing happens... that's what's got be befuddled

scook
Forum Host
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/03 22:34:35 (permalink)
That seems strange. Do you get the popup menu for anything in the synth rack?
post edited by scook - 2013/11/03 22:35:51
jimtzu
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/03 22:56:28 (permalink)
if you're talking about when i right click to enable, yes, i get the pop up box with the enable function listed but nothing happens when clicked.  

maybe this will help ?  i went back to my template i made  when it was working and the MG shows being enabled there... but not getting any synth sounds out of the synth selected.  BUT the MG shows that the signal is getting to it (via tuner and waveform) so thats working but no sound or midi being recorded.  i've double checked the routing in Sonar...(audio track with MG  set to L channel, out to master (that correct?) , on the synth track connected to audio track, the in is set to MG omni and output to master.  i'm still using X2a.  

scook
Forum Host
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/03 23:09:32 (permalink)
Is input echo enabled on the track with MIDI Guitar?
jimtzu
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/04 00:17:42 (permalink)
yes, that's what it shows.... on the template

jimtzu
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/04 15:02:06 (permalink)
i've double checked everything, and i believe i have it set up right.  one note:  using the MG with a synth chosen in MG works and the sound gets recorded.  it's just the midi output doesn't get recorded or recognized. when creating a new song and set up correctly MG is not even listed as an option for the midi track's input (i'm assuming because the midi output enable is not working).  which led me to search on the forum for midi output enable problems which there are a few.  but nothing solves my problem so far.

jimtzu
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/07 02:52:28 (permalink)
a follow up on my problem..  since re-trying MG in X2 i've been using the 32x version..  originally when it was working i was using the 64x version.  so gave the 64 a go and it it works.. i am able to enable midi out and record midi.  i have both versions set up exactly the same.. not sure what the difference is but i have at least one version going.   SCook.. i appreciate the time you put into my problem...

scook
Forum Host
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/07 08:36:49 (permalink)
Are you saying, you tried running the 32bit Version of MIDI Guitar in 64bit SONAR? I did not think to ask about that. I would imagine BitBridge would get in the way. There is no reason to install both plug-in versions unless you intend to run it in both 32 and 64bit hosts. Errors from installing both versions forced the dll renaming introduced 0.7.5. Anyway glad you solved the issue.
jimtzu
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/07 11:21:32 (permalink)
no... i have both 64 and 32 versions of X2 installed and use the corresponding version of MG in each. not sure why the 64 bit version is working... i have the proper vst version scanned in each version and the regedit changes made.  all i know is one works and the other doesn't.

scook
Forum Host
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/07 12:26:32 (permalink)
May want to let the developers know about it. I have never used the 32bit version.
cecelius2
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1494
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/09 17:28:33 (permalink)
Just saw that there is a new minor update.  Here is what JamOrigin says about it:

0.9.5 BETA Released 
Here is another small update. A clever little MIDI Machine can load Scala files and adds Microtonal support (to get it go into "Create MIDI Machines"). Weird issues with Ableton Live 9 were fixed. 
 WHATS NEW: 
* New "Microtonal" MIDI Machine for playing microtonal music. 
* Improved built-in help with index pages. 
* Fixed plugin GUI issues in Ableton Live 9. 
* Fixed missing warning labels for samplerate and buffer size. 
* Fixed a crash bug in MIDI Machine.

jimtzu
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/17 15:11:50 (permalink)
Installing X3c this weekend and everything seems to have migrated fine except MidiGuitar which is showing in the utility manager (was able to change to enable as synth) but getting the "missing plugin" notice when starting a file that uses MG.  not sure what's going on there...   ideas?

scook
Forum Host
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/17 16:07:34 (permalink)
Try a rescan http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/reader.aspx/2007013315
Starting with X3 there is no need to configure MIDI Guitar as a synth, instead try configuring MIDI Guitar as a tempo-based effect. After inserting MIDI Guitar into the audio track, click the VST2 drop down in the plug-in header and select "Enable MIDI Output"
jimtzu
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/17 19:31:27 (permalink)
hmmmm tried the re-scan (MG was already configured as tempo-based effect) with no luck.  even tried deleting the MG dll from the vst folder and scanning and then putting it back in the folder and scanning again, with the same result.  i've checked all the other vst's and this is the only one with an issue.

scook
Forum Host
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/17 19:54:49 (permalink)
Does it work in a new project? Not sure what purpose the plug-in serves in an existing project once the MIDI track is recorded.

Is it a 32/64bit mix-up? I believe you have been using both in the past. I only use the 64bit version.
post edited by scook - 2013/11/17 20:01:06
jimtzu
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/17 20:26:25 (permalink)
well tried a new project...  could only find midi guitar in the "insert" drop down menu under insert soft synth.  set it up.. tested it..  recorded both audio and midi. so i closed it all to redo it to make it a habit and i can't find midi guitar listed anywhere (still in the utility manager tho).  is it only available in the insert menu?  getting soooo close  lol

scook
Forum Host
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/17 20:43:21 (permalink)
As of X3, it should not be in soft synths at all. With X3 effects can now send and receive MIDI data. Using the "Default All Plug-ins" layouts, MIDI Guitar should be an audio effect in VST2 Folder in the browser and the FX bin menu just like any other VST2 effect. In my case, when I reset and rescanned, MIDI Guitar was properly configured as an effect and shows up everywhere one would expect an effect to appear.

It would get more interesting switching between X3 and older versions of SONAR. Then configuring effects as synths would be an issue.
post edited by scook - 2013/11/17 21:24:20
jimtzu
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/17 21:18:36 (permalink)
it's been a long computer day for me...  i tried it again.. couldn't find it.. checked the utility manager to make sure it was listed.. checked the effects bin and it shows up.   i appreciate the help mr cook.

diggerbarnz
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 311
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/28 15:08:12 (permalink)
jma
Instructions for using this with Sonar (from their website):

1. Copy VST pluging to your VST folder.

2. Launch Sonar. It should automatically recognize the new plug-in and create needed registry entries (ie you should see the plug-in as an effect in Audio FX menu). If not, use Plug-in Manager to scan new plug-ins.

3. Use Cakewalk Plug-in Manager, find MIDI Guitar in Effects section and open "Plug-in Properties". Enable "Configure as synth" option.

4. Close Sonar and use Regedit to change generateEvents key from "0" to "1" in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory\ -> MIDI Guitar

5. Launch Sonar. Add new audio track. Insert MIDI Guitar (now found in Soft Synths menu) to FX bin.

6. Go to Synth rack view. Right click grey area of the MIDI Guitar synth block and click "Enable MIDI Output".

That's it. Add your favourite synth to a new track and route MIDI input from MIDI Guitar, which should be visible in MIDI input menu.

the part in last line - could I bother you to illustrate routing the midi input ? I'm stuck w/only piano sounds from MG...sorry

LAPTOP -Pavilion G6 -Quad core - Acoustics -  Takamine ,1948 Martin - Variax 59 & 69-HD500 - PodHD500 - Bose L1 Model II w2 bass bins - T1 Mixer - Voicelive 3

scook
Forum Host
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/11/28 15:27:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jimtzu 2013/11/30 02:45:53
If you are using Midi Guitar as a plug-in, set the instrument output to None in the MIDI Guitar UI. Add a synth to SONAR and make sure that input echo is enabled on both the audio track containing MIDI Guitar and the synth.

The instructions are a little old. If you are using X3, step 3 configuring the plug-in as a synth is no longer necessary and step 6 is replaced by using the VST2 drop down on the VST header to "Enable MIDI Output".
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1