AnsweredMomentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk - Uh Oh

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 02:18:53 (permalink)
I hope it does more than just recording ideas that you can then move to a DAW. The iPhone Voice Recorder is already a quick way to record a demo.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
garrett.scroggin
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 03:35:00 (permalink)
I for one am excited that they are attempting anything composition related on a mobile platform. The port of Z3TA is great, but I would love a full compositional song writing tool. I'm a huge fan the iPad (or just tablets in general) as it had opened up a word of possibilities for me with both writing and live perform. If Momentum is half as good as Xewton Music Studio and somehow integrates with Sonar I'll be hella excited. I've written a ton of stuff in Music Studio while traveling but it's still a PITA to get it exported, import it as MIDI, clean up the tracks, transpose stuff...on and on it goes. It's understandable if you can't load a Sonar project one-for-one on an iPad, but having general project file compatibility for the basics (say minus 3rd party plugins or other heavy lifting stuff) would be amazeballz!

I just hope it's not a repeat or v2 of ScratchPad...the world needs another loop builder like I need herpes.
garrett.scroggin
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 03:35:04 (permalink)
Double post for some reason...
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 04:06:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2017/10/23 16:22:14
If you have ever tried moving an idea you captured in your IOS environment to a PC or mac or even another device you might be aware of how horribly slow and convoluted that experience is :)

We hope that once you try it you will agree that there is nothing out there that has this level of simplicity to capture and access ideas anywhere on any device. Creativity is all about immediacy and being able to capture or access musical ideas without getting bogged down with sharing services and other time consuming cross platform constraints.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
anxiousmofo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 04:34:52 (permalink)
Was excited to see an app announcement, but was sad to see it wasn't a controller for Sonar.

Tangled roots perplex her ways.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Windows 10 x64, i7 5820k, Asrock X99 OC Formula, 16 GB Corsair DDR4, Asus STRIX GTX 970,  SSD's for OS and samples, Akai MPK61, and myriad VST's.
SEVerstraten
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 167
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 06:21:38 (permalink)
I would assume the ideas captured in the app are saved somewhere in ' the cloud'. Will there also be a hassle free offline way to  sync these idea's to the DAW? A of members here have their main machine offline.

Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Win 10 x64 , Intel i7 2670QM, 8GB DDR3
Roland OCTA-CAPTURE, 
IK-Multimedia STOMP-IO,
KRK G5,
PCR500 
fitzj
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 08:59:15 (permalink)
witty. lol

The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2017/09/28 11:53:13 (permalink)
post edited by mister happy - 2017/10/02 12:55:24

Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 12:02:03 (permalink)
If you have ever tried moving an idea you captured in your IOS environment to a PC or mac or even another device you might be aware of how horribly slow and convoluted that experience is :)

We hope that once you try it you will agree that there is nothing out there that has this level of simplicity to capture and access ideas anywhere on any device. Creativity is all about immediacy and being able to capture or access musical ideas without getting bogged down with sharing services and other time consuming cross platform constraints.

^^^ this

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 12:04:17 (permalink)
Fleer
I'm having a moment. Um.

Nice one Fleer 

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 13:02:20 (permalink)
SEVerstraten
I would assume the ideas captured in the app are saved somewhere in ' the cloud'. Will there also be a hassle free offline way to  sync these idea's to the DAW? A of members here have their main machine offline.

Cloud and offline use are not synonymous :) So to sync something you will at least temporarily need to be online on some PC. You could also sync on a different online PC and then bring over that project to your DAW manually using what ever manual method you use today. Once we're close to release we'll have more videos and content to show how seamless the integration with a DAW is.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 13:08:35 (permalink)
mister happy
...Creativity is all about immediacy and being able to capture or access musical ideas without getting bogged down...

A staggering number of old-timey "musicians" on this planet use staff notation for this purpose.

1950s'd
michaelhanson
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 13:46:15 (permalink)
Fleer

^^^ this

I can only speak from the experience of moving a recorded Voice Memo track from the iPhone to Sonar.  It is relatively easy to upload from the App, straight to Drop Box, then import directly from Drop Box to Sonar.  If this new App is even easier, that will be very welcome.

For the typical guitar playing song writer, what is really needed is an App that incorporates the ability to capture the base guitar track, as a scratch track, that you can move to Sonar.  From there, obviously you will use it as a guide track to record from a better source.  

What no one seems to be able to put together as a complete song writers App that has the ability to integrate this with a second track to be used for scratch vocals and then a lyric writing scratch pad.  It would be nice to be able to easily and quickly capture lyric ideas and then quickly demo those to the chord progressions to see how they sound; all before moving the scratch tracks into Sonar.  Most of my lyric ideas get captured at very inconvenient times, quickly by just speaking to Notes on my iPhone of iPad.  Often one line at a time, right in the middle of doing something else, so it has to be quick and easy to capture, before you forget the lyric idea.  

Integrating all of this into one simple to use App, that is quick to use would be extremely welcome.  Being able to type/ speak lyrics into an App, while actually listening to the scratch track play would be extremely welcome.  Right now, I have to jump from 3-4 Apps, Voice Memo, Notes, Chord Apps, Rhyming Apps, Thesaurus App, to make it all work and its not convenient at all.  

Mike

iTunes:

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 13:55:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby TerraSin 2017/09/28 17:07:05
I didn't realize the hurdle to export from iOS until Jim mentioned it a short while ago, so I can certainly see the use on an iOS platform. For android, offloading is the same "Windows Explorer functionality" once the phone is tethered, so it has never been an issue for me (I only own android, no iOS devices). One of those "wait and see" things. The mobile app space is a different playing field, but the Millennials onward are much more apt to do everything in the mobile space (if possible).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 14:04:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/09/28 14:10:20
bapu
mister happy
...Creativity is all about immediacy and being able to capture or access musical ideas without getting bogged down...

A staggering number of old-timey "musicians" on this planet use staff notation for this purpose.

1950s'd

A pencil and staff paper is pretty bogged down to me ..

we are a right now society no patience

Nice to see the bakers joining IK with the I stuff

see i was nice I didnt say I Krap

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 14:18:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ham N Egz 2017/09/28 18:07:57
I follow the Mitch Hedburg rule.  I try and keep a pad and pencil or my phone handy in case I get an idea for a new song.  But if I think of one when they are not around...I just convince myself my idea's not that good anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 16:31:57 (permalink)
i could've sworn ryan or someone said they wouldn't do any more ios stuff?

just a sec

TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 17:12:16 (permalink)
mettelus
I didn't realize the hurdle to export from iOS until Jim mentioned it a short while ago, so I can certainly see the use on an iOS platform. For android, offloading is the same "Windows Explorer functionality" once the phone is tethered, so it has never been an issue for me (I only own android, no iOS devices). One of those "wait and see" things. The mobile app space is a different playing field, but the Millennials onward are much more apt to do everything in the mobile space (if possible).

iOS is something I never consider as I too am Android only for mobile devices. When Noel posted his comment, my first response was "Are you kidding me? It takes seconds" but I can see how things might be a little different for iOS since Apple's unofficial slogan seems to be "make it as difficult as possible while keeping things simple" or more recently, "we've got a dongle for that!"

I'm really hoping this is a step in the right direction and works well.
michaelhanson
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 17:23:27 (permalink)
IOS doesn't take any longer than Android. Upload to Drop Box, then Import to Sonar directly from Drop Box. It's very simple and easy.

I am excited to see what Cakewalk has come up with as well.

Mike

iTunes:

BMI
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 17:25:30 (permalink)
mettelus
I didn't realize the hurdle to export from iOS until Jim mentioned it a short while ago, so I can certainly see the use on an iOS platform. For android, offloading is the same "Windows Explorer functionality" once the phone is tethered, so it has never been an issue for me (I only own android, no iOS devices).

+1
I have used default sound recorder on my Android phone for "memos". The transfer was never the problem, but the interface shown in the video looks much better for the purpose. Lets see what is the "price" of this toy in terms of:
a) hardware requirements (my phone is very old)
b) the possibility to work offline (from the app perspective, so just saving things locally in a way explorer can deal with it... I mean if everything is in one folder with cryptic file names, that is not good)
c) $$$

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
pwalpwal
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 17:36:07 (permalink)
michaelhanson
IOS doesn't take any longer than Android. Upload to Drop Box, then Import to Sonar directly from Drop Box. It's very simple and easy.

it does take longer, with android you can plug a device into a pc usb port and it shows up as an external hd, no logins, no internet, no special software...

just a sec

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 18:08:49 (permalink)
pwalpwal
michaelhanson

it does take longer, with android you can plug a device into a pc usb port and it shows up as an external hd, no logins, no internet, no special software...

Have to completely agree...
Android... you simply drag/drop and you're done.
You have direct access to your files... and can do whatever you'd like.

With Apple:
Dropbox works... but is not nearly as simple/elegant as direct access to your files.  
Why should I need iTunes or Dropbox to access *my* files?
Convolution for convolution's sake...  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
michaelhanson
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 19:06:29 (permalink)
Well, I just sent a file to Drop Box from my iPhone and it took less than 3 seconds, so I don't see this as being that slow.   It's literally faster than I could plug in a Lighting cord.  I am always logged in.  Yes, you have to have an internet connection to down load, but not to up load from iPhone. 

It's not inconvenient because I already use DB for business and it links all of my computers at once.  The band I work with also uses DB and Google for file sharing on collabs.  

So maybe not as elegant, but pretty simple in my view.  I guess to each his own.  

Mike

iTunes:

BMI
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 19:22:14 (permalink)
yorolpal
I follow the Mitch Hedburg rule.  I try and keep a pad and pencil or my phone handy in case I get an idea for a new song.  But if I think of one when they are not around...I just convince myself my idea's not that good anyway.

I wrote my friend a letter using a highlighting pen, but he could not read it. He thought I was trying to show him certain parts of a piece of paper.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 19:30:32 (permalink)
I think this is going to be a whole lot more than just syncing files to the cloud, in terms of organizational features that are geared toward capturing and arranging musical ideas. Nobody's going to buy an app just to sync files, so it's obviously above and beyond that. 

It looks quite interesting to me. I often have time to kill between jobs or appointments when I'm sat around in a coffee shop either blindly looking at social media or reading a book. So maybe this will give me one more time killing option, one that's actually useful. 

I always think it's strange how people dismiss stuff like this before they've even seen what it is. 

And as for anyone being surprised that it features Ableton in the teaser and not Sonar - well this is clearly geared to be independent of any particular DAW. So if they have to show a DAW in the promotion, they might as well show one that's popular with Millennials. They are, after all, the biggest market for mobile apps. Might be a good way of herding some non-Sonar users into the Cakewalk stable anyway. I presume that whomever buys and registers with this app is going to be getting a ton of Cakewalk promotions directed toward their inbox. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 21:12:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/09/28 21:23:00
sharke

I presume that whomever buys and registers with this app is going to be getting a ton of Cakewalk promotions directed toward their inbox. 

I'm not sure whether to admire your optimism or laugh at it. There are many folks on these forums that have been practically begging CW to send them emails for years who still never get them. 

As for the "teaser".....about as alluring as a video of Bapu playfully tugging at his week old undershreddies IMO.

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 21:24:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/10/01 15:08:49
Note to self: Improve quality of videos for paulo.
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/28 21:45:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/09/30 18:04:40
bapu
Note to self: Improve quality of videos for paulo.

Or stop sending them.
Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/29 05:01:44 (permalink)
:)

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
pwalpwal
Re: Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk 2017/09/29 06:28:57 (permalink)
what's with the "scratchy old film" effect?
definitely ableton live @ 0:28

just a sec

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1