New Cakewalk book

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
JohnrC
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/10 12:26:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: stratcat33511

Great for guitarists like me wanting to get their moneys worth outta these synths !

You said it, Stratcat. Tough to get the time to dig in on your own, but this book makes it easier. Soon I'll have no excuse not to pick up Rapture... and another copy of the book for home...

Nicely written and put together.
garrigus
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8599
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/11 10:23:01 (permalink)
Get it with my Sonar 6 Power book and you have a great learning library.

And Amazon is letting you get both at a discount together (and with free shipping!)

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1598633074/compmedia

Scroll down the page just a little and see the Better Together section. Thanks!

Scott

PS. There's free downloads and book excerpts for Sonar 6 Power here: http://www.garrigus.com/powerbooks.asp

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge 6, 7/8 and SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Power books.
** Get Sonar 6 Power The Comprehensive Guide - Today! **
http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free Smart Loops Sample Loops Collection and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 20,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

post edited by garrigus - 2006/11/11 10:42:02
stratcat33511
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3636
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/11 11:12:00 (permalink)
I will get S6 power, Scott, dont worry
I have every one since Pro Audio 9, S2.2, S4, S5, and ....
garrigus
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/11 12:31:36 (permalink)
Thanks, Ed! Every one? Man, I really do appreciate all your support.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge 6, 7/8 and SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Power books.

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free Smart Loops Sample Loops Collection and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 20,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:

stratcat33511
  • Total Posts : 3636
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/11 22:43:32 (permalink)
ok I dont have 5, you're right, I just checked
but all I want now for christmas is my new Sonar 6 Power book
loadin up DPro, and goin jammin
garrigus
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/12 01:11:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: stratcat33511

ok I dont have 5, you're right, I just checked
but all I want now for christmas is my new Sonar 6 Power book
loadin up DPro, and goin jammin

I'll put in a good word for you with Santa. I'm a personal friend of his...

Scott

--

cmusicmaker
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2328
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/12 10:54:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Simon_Cann

Thanks for posting the link, Nick P.

For everyone else, here's the direct link to the table of contents/sample chapter.

Click here to download the table of contents

Click here to download the sample chapter

Enjoy!

Simon

I ordered this book and having read the table of contents...wow. This will provide a huge amount of information for beginners and experts alike. It really looks like a Cakewalk collectors item. Great work Simon!

I think if you have not already done so you really should talk to Cakewalk about a listing on their website somewhere. Probably under the Learn section on this page I suspect many Cakewalk users will be very surprised by the depth of some of the older RGC plugs, and P5 plugs talk less of the info available on Dimension Pro and R!

I think as a result of reading your book many users like me will get far more value out of the Cakewalk insturments as presets really only scratch the surface with instruments anyway.

I noticed the choice of synths is pretty complete in this book. From the likes of Sfz+ and the DS864 all the way to Dimension Pro, Rapture and even Session Drummer2! FWIW I think this thread should be a sticky here on this forum surely.

A big thanks to you and the contributors to the book for putting it all together!
Simon_Cann
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/12 11:49:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: cmusicmaker

I ordered this book and having read the table of contents...wow. This will provide a huge amount of information for beginners and experts alike. It really looks like a Cakewalk collectors item. Great work Simon!

Wow!! Thank you very much for such warm praise.

I think if you have not already done so you really should talk to Cakewalk about a listing on their website somewhere.

This is already happening (I hope). I will follow up with the Cakewalk guys to find out where we are with this.

I think as a result of reading your book many users like me will get far more value out of the Cakewalk insturments as presets really only scratch the surface with instruments anyway.

That is one of my hopes, too!!

I noticed the choice of synths is pretty complete in this book. From the likes of Sfz+ and the DS864 all the way to Dimension Pro, Rapture and even Session Drummer2!

I believe it covers ALL Cakewalk/rgc:audio synthesizers to date. My intention is that if/when Cakewalk release something more then I’ll write something (and create some programs) to cover the new release(s) so the whole range is covered.

FWIW I think this thread should be a sticky here on this forum surely.

I know I’m biased, but I really like that idea.

Thanks again for your kind words, Cmusicmaker.

Simon
mahtazz
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/13 06:30:57 (permalink)
Hi Simon,

Got it!

b rock
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/15 13:36:29 (permalink)
Buy this book.

The sfz reference section alone is worth the price of admission. It just arrived not long ago, and I did the quick speed-read. To be perfectly honest, I've had most all of these synths for quite some time, so I've already been through them at a microscopic level. But a one-stop reference is invaluable, and there's something in here for every level; beginner to advanced. Everything from general synthesizer programming to specific synth parameters, and much of it applies beyond the targeted Cakewalk synths.

Very thorough coverage, Simon. At this price it's a no-brainer decision for anyone.
Simon_Cann
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/15 16:38:47 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: b rock

Buy this book.

The sfz reference section alone is worth the price of admission. It just arrived not long ago, and I did the quick speed-read. To be perfectly honest, I've had most all of these synths for quite some time, so I've already been through them at a microscopic level. But a one-stop reference is invaluable, and there's something in here for every level; beginner to advanced. Everything from general synthesizer programming to specific synth parameters, and much of it applies beyond the targeted Cakewalk synths.

Very thorough coverage, Simon. At this price it's a no-brainer decision for anyone.

Thanks, b rock. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Simon
Paradroid
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/17 04:23:46 (permalink)
The sfz reference section alone is worth the price of admission.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Tom.

My copy arrived on Tuesday and I've enjoyed everything I've read so far… but, of course, the sfz reference (where was this 12 months ago?!), the René interview and the Power Users download are the sections that are really doing it for me.

Well done Simon! A great resource and, yes, for the price, there's no excuse not to get this book! :)
b rock
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/17 16:07:34 (permalink)
the sfz reference (where was this 12 months ago?!)
*Pong* on a regulation table with real paddles. I almost don't know how to function like this.
Good to hear from you, Dale.
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/19 02:50:15 (permalink)
I'm definitely going with the pair. And the endorsement from B Rock, who IMO is a bona-fide expert with all Cakewalk synths, just makes the synth book even that more a must-have.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
blueelectron9
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/28 19:09:21 (permalink)
Received my book yesterday and am finding myself reading it from cover-to-cover. Not only is it FULL of useful information, it's presented in a really clean, intuitive, and enjoyable format.

The tone of the book, to me, suggests that Simon Cann really enjoys the material, and I think it translates and gets me a bit more excited about the creation of my own sounds, rather then just using the presets. In fact, I may have to spend more time designing my own sounds now instead of the hours fiddling with presets trying to match one to what I need.

As a side note, I received the promotional e-mail from Cakewalk regarding the book and there was a link to Cakewalk with a sample TOC. I looked and it was missing a lot of information and didn't specify which synths were covered, etc., so I thought I'd pass. It was when I lurked on this section of the forum that I saw the link to noisesculpture.com where a real TOC was published. Upon recommendation from this group, I bought the book. I truly can't find any way to not recommend it. It is a rare find and worth every penny.

Something extra when you receive your book is a LOT of downloadable content. Since I own almost all of the synths listed in the book, I'll be able to try about everything.

Feeling extra inspired,
Scott

Infinite5ths
  • Total Posts : 3631
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/11/28 21:26:23 (permalink)
Yup....if b rock says "buy it" then you just buy it. ...unless you just shot your bank account for the next 3 months buying Rapture & Z3TA+ at the current sale prices...
post edited by Infinite5ths - 2006/11/28 21:45:49

Mike
MichaelDanchi.com
IPM Productions
Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
maxthecat
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/12/03 12:37:28 (permalink)
Got my copy on Wed. and I have to say this is a long overdue book. Up to now I was in hunt and play mode till I found the settings that I wanted on the Calkwalk synths, or just using presets all the time. This is really going to open it up for me and allow me to use the synths in a systematic manner, or should I say an educated manner, as opposed to having to play arround till I hopefully find the sounds I'm looking for. GREAT JOB GUYS, THIS BOOK IS OUTSTANDING!!!
howieizme
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/12/19 06:20:18 (permalink)
Simon,

As a Sonar 5.2 user I'm still brand new to synthisizers and have just purchased Rapture, Dimension Pro, & Absynth to get my feet wet. I have also just ordered your book from Amazon. My question is, for a beginner like myself, will your book cover all the basics? I'm the type of guy who likes things broken down like I'm 5 years old when it comes to instruction. Do you recommend any other material for a chap like myself?

Thanks!

Mike,

"DAW's make you fat".

syrath
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4075
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/12/19 08:06:44 (permalink)
It should be crossing my doorstep any minute now, Im looking forward to it.
MusicMaker5
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/12/19 09:15:04 (permalink)
UN-fortunately . . .

Mine is wrapped under the tree. I have to wait to read it.

But when I thumbed through it at the borders, it was remarkable.

Nice job Simon! This is something that I can use.... Now! But I have to wait....

Daniel

See me at http://www.danielnevels.com

Hear my music at http://www.ShofarMusic.Com
B.M.M, BA Music, CEA
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/12/19 10:25:23 (permalink)
I put mine on my christmas list. Hope the In-Laws get it for me. They were asking for another small gift for me to my wife so I printed out the detail page from Amazon. My wife gave it to them at Thanksgiving. Got my fingers crossed. If not I'll use my $25.00 earned points from amazon and get it myself with Garrius Sonar 6 book.
I'm glad to see everyone is getting something out of the book.

Ed
maxthecat
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/12/19 12:09:51 (permalink)
Mike,

Yes, I highly recommend this book for folks like yourself. I have only been in the digital music arena for a little over a year and like yourself really need some things broken down at the 5 year old level, synths being one of them, and this book hits the mark. I got it two weeks ago and it has really de-mystified a lot of concepts and synth technology for me. In fact I'm making time to just sit down in the studio and go through the book step by step working with the synths listed in the book to really get a handle on how they work and why they work as they do, many of the concepts and tech features carry over to synths not produced by Cakewalk, so theres a bonus there also.

All the best,

Glenn

ORIGINAL: howieizme

Simon,

As a Sonar 5.2 user I'm still brand new to synthisizers and have just purchased Rapture, Dimension Pro, & Absynth to get my feet wet. I have also just ordered your book from Amazon. My question is, for a beginner like myself, will your book cover all the basics? I'm the type of guy who likes things broken down like I'm 5 years old when it comes to instruction. Do you recommend any other material for a chap like myself?

Thanks!

Simon_Cann
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/12/19 12:42:46 (permalink)
I'm thrilled to hear so many of you are getting Cakewalk Synthesizers: From Presets to Power User from Santa Claus. I would like to wish all my readers and prospective readers a very merry Christmas.

ORIGINAL: howieizme

Simon,

Thanks!

Yes, my book does cover the basics. Chapter 2 (Getting a Grip on Synthesizer Programming) was specifically written as an introduction to the whole topic of synthesizers and creating sounds with synthesizers. The chapter uses Triangle II for all of its examples. The advantage of TII is that, in addition to being a great synth, it is available for free download from the Cakewalk web site.

The other material I would recommend is my book How To Make A Noise. You can download it for free from my web site www.noisesculpture.com. Between the two books, you should have pretty much every base covered.
howieizme
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/12/19 14:31:02 (permalink)
Thanks Glenn & Simon!

Mike,

"DAW's make you fat".

syrath
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4075
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/12/21 07:30:51 (permalink)
The book arrived today, and Im very impressed, it strikes the balance very well (at least so far) between being informative to newcomers without sounding like you are trying to spoon feed more experienced readers. If it continues like this then I should learn a huge amount reading this one. Thanks to all those , especially Simon that brought this one to my bookshelf.

dougsyo
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/12/27 22:54:53 (permalink)
I got my copy for Christmas! Thanks Mom & Dad!

Now, to download the extra materials...

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
Lunatique
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 194
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/12/30 22:39:12 (permalink)
I just got both the Sonar 6 Power book and the Cakewalk Synthesizer book for my birthday yesterday (they were both on my amazon wishlist). I've held off on the Sonar 5 Power book for a long time because I knew version is coming out soon. I've read "How to Make a Noise" from cover to cover before, and I'm wondering if Cakewalk Synthesizers' basic synthesis sections are pretty much the same--if so, I'll skip over those sections and move onto the specific synths.
Paradroid
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/12/31 17:19:01 (permalink)
Between the two books, you should have pretty much every base covered.

Not to mention every bass.

(Sorry, I'm a high school teacher: I gotta practise my corny puns whenever I can…)
Mycranium
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 152
RE: New Cakewalk book 2006/12/31 20:58:03 (permalink)
I just got my copies of CSFPTPU and Sonar 6 Power from Amazon - delivered days earlier than anticipated.

AWESOME BOOKS, GUYS! THANKS!

And yes, I meant to shout that.

-Mike

Win8.1 x64
Intel I7 4770K
32GB RAM
Asus Maximus VI Formula mobo
Asus GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 video card
MOTU Ultralite
E-MU Xboard 49
M-Audio Studiophile BX5 Monitors
Sonar X3 Platinum, Dim Pro, Rapture, GPO, JABB, Z3TA+ 2
Logitech T630 touch mouse
garrigus
RE: New Cakewalk book 2007/01/01 13:49:33 (permalink)
Thanks Rob and Mike! I appreciate your support and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying my Sonar 6 Power book.

Happy New Year!
Scott

--
** Get Sonar 6 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! **

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1