New Cakewalk book

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
togo59
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: New Cakewalk book 2007/01/02 16:54:11 (permalink)
Mine's on its way from Amazon.co.uk (hopefully).

...ping?

Sonar has charms to soothe the savage breast. 
RichGB
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: New Cakewalk book 2007/01/17 16:41:04 (permalink)
Finally got my 2 books today. Feels like Christmas all over again!

To Simon Cann and Scott Garrigus - a big thank you to you both!

For the big learning curve I have in front of me (I got news today that my Sonar 6PE can be collected on Saturday - woohoo!), I can see just by having a quick flick through both books that they are going to be absolutely vital and am so glad to have them.

Thanks to everyone else for recommending these books - top advice!

I truelly cannot wait to get into all of this now (including the download chapters). How will I sleep?

Thank you all again. I really mean that.

Rich
garrigus
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8599
RE: New Cakewalk book 2007/01/17 17:35:53 (permalink)
Hi Rich,

My pleasure and thank you so much for purchasing Sonar 6 Power! I appreciate your support.

I hope you enjoy the book and have a great Sonar music-making experience.

Thanks!
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge 6, 7/8 and SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Power books.
** Get Sonar 6 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! **
http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free Smart Loops Sample Loops Collection and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 20,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/
MurderDethKill
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1904
RE: New Cakewalk book 2007/01/18 01:57:28 (permalink)
Simon: The Book is on order .
Looking forward to reading it.
Thanks for the info - and the work.

-MDK

edit: it's here!!! it's here!!!
<thumbs through pages> - looks like I'm gonna disappear for awhile...
post edited by MurderDethKill - 2007/01/19 22:10:14

My site i guess;)
Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
rasputin
RE: New Cakewalk book 2007/01/22 18:58:11 (permalink)
This book is wonderful even though I really only use Dimension Pro. Anyone who uses any of the Cakewalk synths would probably enjoy it, and if you use Z3TA, Rapture or Dimension you probably NEED it. For $35 it's a great resource, but for $20.64 it's a bargain. Let me explain.

Borders had a copy on their shelf for the list price of $34.99. Amazon's price was $20.64, sorry, but the convenience of having it three days sooner was not worth $15 to me (To get free shipping from Amazon, I ordered an $11 DVD of Cream Disraeli Gears to bring the total over $25. The package came today even though it was projected to arrive on the 24th).

I hope Simon makes the same amount if I buy it from Borders or Amazon.
rjt
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: New Cakewalk book 2007/01/23 22:50:50 (permalink)
Got my copy of this and Sonar6 Power today. I skipped Sonar 5 and couldn't just "fake it" to get up to snuff on 6. Also, I really appreciate the basic info on how to get the most out of the Cake instruments. Together, they seem like a bargain with a ton of great info.

Talk is cheap; supply outweighs the demand.

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people look bright before you hear them speak.

Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys, Andy Reid owns them!!

garrigus
  • Total Posts : 8599
RE: New Cakewalk book 2007/01/24 09:05:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rjt

Got my copy of this and Sonar6 Power today. I skipped Sonar 5 and couldn't just "fake it" to get up to snuff on 6. Also, I really appreciate the basic info on how to get the most out of the Cake instruments. Together, they seem like a bargain with a ton of great info.

Thanks, rjt! I hope you enjoy my Sonar 6 Power book.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge 6, 7/8 and SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Power books.
** Get Sonar 6 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! **
http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free Smart Loops Sample Loops Collection and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 20,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/
lawapa
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1144
RE: New Cakewalk book 2007/01/24 21:06:49 (permalink)
And don't forget to surf on over to digifreq! Great place to ask questions and compair notes with others using Sonar.
rasputin
Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann 2007/02/22 19:18:00 (permalink)
Let me also add that there's another little review of this in another thread. The guy makes a point that there is no explanation for how Sonar integrates with some of these synths.

He also said that there doesn't seem to be too much on the non-:rgc synths; but he either didn't know or didn't mention the downloadable chapters, that are very much worth getting. Yes, the download chapter does not go into much detail about TTS-1 but that synth is not really meant to be that tweakable as it is.

As I mentioned above, for $35 it's a great resource, but for $20.64 it's a must have...

r.
Simon_Cann
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann 2007/02/23 17:13:15 (permalink)
Hey Guys

I’ve been rather quiet recently for which I do apologise. I hope 2007 got off to a great start for all of you.

Many of you have made some very kind comments about Cakewalk Synthesizers: From Presets to Power User, which are very much appreciated. Thank you all very much.

Rasputin mentions the other thread (which is again highly positive about the book). For those of you who haven’t seen it, you can access it here. However, I do want to come back a couple of points that are made in this other thread.

I disagree that the book is biased to the rgc:audio synths in the way that is suggested (although I hope it is obvious from reading the book that I admire René’s work greatly). The book covers ALL Cakewalk synthesizers at the date of publication without exception. TTS-1 is covered in download chapter 6.

The downloads are a significant and integral part of the book: you will find another 200 plus pages of information there (as well as many program files and samples). If anyone has problems with the downloads, drop me an email (through my web site) and I’ll be pleased to help.

By the way, as a side issue, if you check out the reviews of the book on Amazon (US), you will see that someone called W Liferidge had a problem with the downloads. This person has not got in touch with me, so could I make a public appeal here that they drop me an email and I will try to sort out their download.

The subject of automation is not completely ignored: it is (very) briefly covered in download chapter 1 (for both SONAR and Project5), and there is a brief mention about the synth rack and inserts. However, I do not go into details about SONAR since this is a book about the synthesizers and there is a very good book about SONAR in the form of SONAR Power by Scott Garrigus.

I like the idea of including a CD. There are two reasons why we didn’t do this. First, there is the cost. Second, software gets updated – personally I don’t like the idea of saying “here’s some software, but check that it’s the most up to date version”.

As for your thought that the book is worth $50 bucks, rather than $35, all I can say is wow and thank you!!

Anyway, I hope this clarifies the points that were raised.

All the best

Simon
lawapa
RE: Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann 2007/02/23 22:33:06 (permalink)
Thanks Simon I just snagged this on Amazon through the digifreq site. I've wanted sfz documentation in a tad more detail plus I'm always up for anything on the zeta. There is documentation yes but a all in one bound reference is just handy for the desk top. The possiblities with these synths is big.
whitefalcon
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1161
RE: New Cakewalk book 2007/02/24 00:18:55 (permalink)
I ordered mine last night. I can hardly wait for it to get here.
whitefalcon
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1161
RE: New Cakewalk book 2007/02/24 00:24:00 (permalink)
Mike,

"DAW's make you fat".

Hey Mike, Did you ever get your skin for Rapture I made working?
post edited by whitefalcon - 2007/02/24 00:47:08
ibcoleman
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann 2007/03/01 11:11:28 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Simon_Cann

By the way, as a side issue, if you check out the reviews of the book on Amazon (US), you will see that someone called W Liferidge had a problem with the downloads. This person has not got in touch with me, so could I make a public appeal here that they drop me an email and I will try to sort out their download.

Simon,

I'm having similar problems downloading. Appendix B says "You can get the download package from [Link A] or [Link B]." [Link A] works, but if I follow [Link B] to the download page, the book doesn't appear, and a search for your name or the title returns nothing. Obviously it's not going to stop a determined reader (!), but since the [Link B] caught my eye first, that's where I headed. I'd imagine they can fix the oversight pretty quickly.

Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere in the forums.

Thanks!
post edited by ibcoleman - 2007/03/01 14:10:47

Pentium 4M @ 3.20GHz - 1 G Ram
Sonar Studio 7.0.2, Project5 2
inmazevo
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3276
RE: Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann 2007/03/01 19:33:26 (permalink)
Simon,
This is one excellent book, it really is.

I read the first 3 chapters and actually practiced the instruments (something I haven't done since high school band), and really made a HUGE jump in my programming capabilities.

I've since moved on (currently) to the z3ta+, Rapture and Dim Pro chapters, and plan on doing the same... studying.
I'll get to the downloads at some point.

This is a MUST HAVE for synth programmers, particularly beginner-intermediate, like me.

In fact, I'd venture to say that it would be a good choice for 3rd party reading assignments in electronic music and production classes. If you haven't already, you should see if some of the schools would be interested.
And see if Cake will bundle it with their synths at a discount, if you haven't already.

I'll jump off now and leave a review over at the Amazon site.

Take care,
- zevo
lawapa
RE: Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann 2007/03/02 21:59:04 (permalink)
I got mine. Both S6 Power and cake synths. The SFZ section in the back was what I'd hoped for.

If I were to have just one wish it would be a spiral binding so the books would lay flat But as it is what I need by way of documentation is right at my finger tips. I always forget important info I don't use very often. Having it all right in front of me is a great resource.
Simon_Cann
RE: Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann 2007/03/03 07:29:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ibcoleman

I'm having similar problems downloading. Appendix B says "You can get the download package from [Link A] or [Link B]." [Link A] works, but if I follow [Link B] to the download page, the book doesn't appear, and a search for your name or the title returns nothing. Obviously it's not going to stop a determined reader (!), but since the [Link B] caught my eye first, that's where I headed. I'd imagine they can fix the oversight pretty quickly.

Ian

Thanks for bringing this to my attention (and thanks for dropping me an email to let me know about this forum posting).

There is a temporary problem with the download from the publisher's site which we are working to sort. However, as you point out, the link from my site [link A] still works, so at the moment that's the best place to get the downloads!!

I suggest people use my site for a second reason: there is the option to sign up to my mailing list (as you have done, Ian) so that I can keep you up to date with developments. The first development that I will tell people about will be a free update to the book (in PDF format) when Rapture 1.1 and Dimension LE are available. This update will be made available to everyone on my Cakewalk Synthesizers book mailing list as soon as it finished (which will probably be a week or two after both synthesizers are publicly available).

ORIGINAL: inmazevo

This is one excellent book, it really is.

I read the first 3 chapters and actually practiced the instruments (something I haven't done since high school band), and really made a HUGE jump in my programming capabilities.

I've since moved on (currently) to the z3ta+, Rapture and Dim Pro chapters, and plan on doing the same... studying.
I'll get to the downloads at some point.

This is a MUST HAVE for synth programmers, particularly beginner-intermediate, like me.

In fact, I'd venture to say that it would be a good choice for 3rd party reading assignments in electronic music and production classes. If you haven't already, you should see if some of the schools would be interested.
And see if Cake will bundle it with their synths at a discount, if you haven't already.

I'll jump off now and leave a review over at the Amazon site.

Thanks for such kind words, Zevo. I look forward to reading your review on Amazon.

ORIGINAL: lawapa

I got mine. Both S6 Power and cake synths. The SFZ section in the back was what I'd hoped for.

If I were to have just one wish it would be a spiral binding so the books would lay flat But as it is what I need by way of documentation is right at my finger tips. I always forget important info I don't use very often. Having it all right in front of me is a great resource.

If you apply a bit of brute force and ignorance to the book it will lie flat. Alternatively, since it is perfect bound, you could always take a knife to the spine!!

OK… maybe not entirely realistic ideas, but unfortunately, this is the limitation of books.

As I’ve said before, thank you all for your comments.

Simon
rjt
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann 2007/03/03 11:28:29 (permalink)
The programming Cakewalk Synths book is great. I have messed around with programming for a long time. Read this and that. I hear certain sounds and just could never come up with them. (although the work of b-rock and others has made a big difference!!) I've read the first 3 chapters and they seem more "systematic" somehow in understanding the sound. Just pushed me over the edge and I look forward to delving into some of the synths that have been a mystery to me like the Z3.

Take care

Talk is cheap; supply outweighs the demand.

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people look bright before you hear them speak.

Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys, Andy Reid owns them!!

Simon_Cann
RE: Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann 2007/05/25 09:53:51 (permalink)
Since Cakewalk Synthesizers: From Presets to Power Use was published in October 2006 there have been a number of changes to the featured synthesizers, including

>> Rapture has been updated to version 1.1.
>> Z3TA+ has been updated to version 1.5 and Z3TA+ Update Manager has been released.
>> Dimension LE has been launched.

An update to the book, which covers these changes and more, is now available to download from http://www.noisesculpture.com/cakewalk On the web page you will find the link about halfway down under the Updates heading. The download is free to anyone, so while it will be of most use to people with the book, if you're still wondering whether to get the book, feel free to download the update while you're deciding.

There will be further updates if and when Cakewalk again updates any of the featured synthesizers.
Infinite5ths
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3631
RE: Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann 2007/05/25 10:28:02 (permalink)
Wonderful! Thanks Simon.....great book. My copy is sitting a foot away from me right now.

Mike
MichaelDanchi.com
IPM Productions
Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
b rock
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann 2007/05/25 10:59:45 (permalink)
Incredible job on the addendum, Simon. I can't imagine trying to keep everything current with most of the synths in constant flux.
Now I can toss out my DSP routing reference image.
Simon_Cann
RE: Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann 2007/05/25 12:14:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

Incredible job on the addendum, Simon. I can't imagine trying to keep everything current with most of the synths in constant flux.

Many thanks for your kind words, Tom.
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
RE: New Cakewalk book 2007/05/26 01:43:00 (permalink)
I was wondering about that. I own the book. This is great that you are supporting the upgrades with additional material. Goes right along with the whole Cakewalk culture - meeting and exceeding customers' expectations (at least mine). Thanks, Simon!

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1