New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 13:59:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: johndale

Jim Roseberry, push's products for a living. You really think he paid for his. I got know ****ing axe to grind. I just tell the truth and the truth is out there. I'n right down the road from where Creative/EMU does their "engineering". I know a lit also. I'm not gonna argue the point.......................JDW

Not gonna argue the point, then proceeds to post twice trying to make your case.

Someone even whispers the word EMU here and you are posting left and right. No axe to grind - puhleeze!

And I know what Jim does for a living -- because he is well known and respected. Or are you arguing this point as well?

Anyway, this is all so pointless. You will never let this go, will continue to attack anyone who disagrees with you, and most surely will post three three more times on this thread just to say that I'm delusional, and you've already let it go, so have at it...

JD
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 15:13:20 (permalink)

Jim Roseberry, push's products for a living. You really think he paid for his. I got know ****ing axe to grind. I just tell the truth and the truth is out there. I'n right down the road from where Creative/EMU does their "engineering". I know a lit also. I'm not gonna argue the point.......................JDW

John (yet again) you're going off the deep end
1. I bought my Emu card (retail - no discount)
2. I *DO NOT* sell Emu products

Yes, Emu is working on a new series of cards.
Uhhh.... is this *really* so shocking??? Literally every company is constantly developing new products. I guarantee that RME, M-Audio, etc are *all* developing a new series of audio cards. No matter when you purchase or what you purchase, there will *always* be something bigger/better around the corner. Welcome to the technological circle of life.

As for my 1820m working perfectly fine...
Well... it does
As does my Hammerfall DSP and Frontier Dakota... etc

I really don't have any ties or affinity to Emu.
But when I see your extreme posts/comments, it seems reasonable to also share my positive experience/knowledge about the card.
Personally, I don't care if/when Emu comes out with a new series of audio cards.
I'll switch cards when my current unit no longer serves my needs.

Bottom line is that your opinions/experiences are just that... (yours)
They are not absolute fact for everyone...
post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2005/05/17 15:32:46

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
BC
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 631
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 17:03:39 (permalink)
Every thread with even a tangetial EMU reference turns into the JohnDale and DaveRich He-Man EMU Hater's and self-conglaturatory-aren't-we-glad-we-dumped-it club.

Dave - guess what - EMU just released 64-bit drivers too. Guess the 1-year advantage turned into 24 hours.

As for the new 32-bit drivers - I expect we'll see them sooner than later but who knows.

Life is like an Analogy
www.bcproject.com
Jim Wright
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1218
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 18:05:19 (permalink)
For another take on the 1820M --
Cakewalknet.com just published a very lengthy review: http://www.cakewalknet.com/index.php?page=article/show&article=92995c34d22358f5d8dc2d51dfa06f6f

The reviewer acknowledges various issues; the worst (in his view) was that if a flaky plugin crashed, the 1820M ASIO driver would hang, requiring a reboot. That said, he experienced very few problems with Sonar 4 -- unless he used a particular plugin he liked, but knew was flaky. EMU verified the bug and said it would be fixed in the upcoming driver release (whenever that is).

The reviewer used the 1820M (in place of his MOTU 2408 Mk. II) for 3 months, and was never once tempted to go back to his MOTU.

I'm still planning on getting an EMU 1212M for the DAW I'm building this summer (I've decided I don't need the extra I/O, since I'm using ADAT to connect to a 2nd PC (running a Korg OASYS PCI and various plugins). I am completely confident I can get the Emu working properly in my new DAW (I've been working with PCs and music software since 1984).

My 2 bits.

- Jim

Edit: Oh, and John? You walked into your first studio in 1973, and have 'been around a bit of hardware' ? I walked into my first studio in 1971. I build my first electronic sound manglers in 1969. I ran a college electronic music studio in 1976 (4 track, 1/2 inch Scully decks and a big ARP 2500 modular). I was an audio tech at Orban (audio and broadcast electronics) for a year (1979), earning money for music school. I helped design around 25 Korg products (early 80's) before jumping ship and co-writing Sequencer Plus. I wrote post-production software for Otari Console Products for four years (1989-93) And I'm still getting into plenty of audio mischief.... Give me a break. Give us all a break.

You've got no ax to grind? Paul Bunyan couldn't swing the ax you're grinding. (And Hendrix sure wouldn't want to play it)
post edited by Jim Wright - 2005/05/17 18:17:04
johndale
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3228
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 18:20:23 (permalink)
So why did the 1820 series just go down $100 in price? See my thread in the Sonar forum..........................JDW
johndale
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 18:22:36 (permalink)
ARP 2500 modular

To get technical Jim. That was an Arp 2600..........................JDW

Oh, And anybody can be a reviewer for a free webpage. Let me try my hand. But they might lose some advertising dollars
post edited by johndale - 2005/05/17 18:26:14
Jim Wright
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 20:12:58 (permalink)

ARP 2500 modular

To get technical Jim. That was an Arp 2600..........................JDW

Oh, And anybody can be a reviewer for a free webpage. Let me try my hand. But they might lose some advertising dollars

Ah --- actually johndale -- it was a 2500 (TWENTY FIVE HUNDRED).

The 2600 was the 'suitcase' model; Arturia has a pretty good emulation of it, I think.
The 2500 was a honkin' big modular system. which used funky cross-matrix switches for patching, instead of patchcords (like a Moog Modular).

Calling it a 2600 would be like confusing a Minimoog with a Moog Modular. But coming from you, I can't say it surprises me much.

Here's a picture of one: http://www.synthmuseum.com/arp/arp250001.html
If you're curious, just Google it. There are lots of links.

- Jim
zgraf
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 350
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 20:54:52 (permalink)
The original article reference:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1813855,00.asp

is actually nicely written, and is very informative.

After reading it (and not really wanting to pass judgement either way!),
I got the impression that there were some basic technical issues with Creative's older
chip -- i.e., problems with Sample Rate Conversion between 44.1k and 48k,
and problems supporting the 96K/24 bit mode. To me, it seems natural that development
would NEED TO SCRAP the old chip and start with a new design, rather than
continue building upon a fundamentally "flawed" model.

Interestingly, the article says:

Work began on the X-Fi about three-and-a-half years ago.

And the discussion of the five engines [SRC, tank, mixer, filter, DSP] (to me) sounds like
they could really be trying to address issues that affect audio in a serious fashion.

The most interesting part for me was this:

...(The) Creative "Active Premium Audio" processing can optimize the audio quality for a particular speaker system and listening environment. Apparently, it can even automatically improve the quality of audio given your particular speaker system and listening environment. Creative distinguishes "Active Premium Audio" from current audio products in that the latter can handle high bit-depth, high sample-rate content in a very precise way, but because it is passive, it can only do this when it receives premium quality content. According to Creative, an Active Premium Audio system is capable of enhancing any content to derive multi-channel premium quality audio even from stereo compressed audio content to give a DVD-Audio like experience. Creative will be calling this its Active Premium Audio (APA) capability, and it will be implemented as a feature of X-Fi based products, though under a different name.

APA could prove interesting in that in that it may be able to restore a good bit
of the dynamic range and high-frequency information typically lost to popular
compression schemes like MP3, WMA, and AAC. If this claim makes you a bit suspicious,
you're not alone...

- john
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 21:18:46 (permalink)
Jim Wright,

Thanks for the link to the 1820m review. Very informative (especially for a future owner who'll need to get his head around the Patchmix software).

Most telling, in the end the reviewer sold his MOTU interface and kept the 1820M! (Ssssh, don't tell John, he'll provide "proof" the reviewer was on the take).

JD
johndale
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 21:57:24 (permalink)
he 2600 was the 'suitcase' model; Arturia has a pretty good emulation of it, I think.
The 2500 was a honkin' big modular system. which used funky cross-matrix switches for patching, instead of patchcords (like a Moog Modular).

Calling it a 2600 would be like confusing a Minimoog with a Moog Modular. But coming from you, I can't say it surprises me much.

It was the 2600 I used. 32 years ago. Was the 2500 before or at the same time as the 2600? And I still remember my mini Moogs and Arp Odessey's. Thank for the link. Did check the ones on the EMU. Y'all are always hollerin' PROOF. The only time there is a price reduction like that these days, is when they are unloading inventory for one reason or another. What can I say......................JDW
johndale
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 21:59:40 (permalink)
Thanks for the link to the 1820m review. Very informative (especially for a future owner who'll need to get his head around the Patchmix software).

Well if you hang loose another month you can probably get one for $300. I got one I can't get rid of now for $350............................JDW
Jim Wright
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 23:07:24 (permalink)
johndale -- according to synthmuseum.com, the ARP 2500 and 2600 were both produced 1970-1981. I used them both in the mid 70's (in two different studios).

Thanks for the pointer to the discount-priced 1820M. At that price, I may decide to get the 1820M insteaad of the 1212M after all.

JonD - If you're interested, Martin Walker's SOS review is available: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun04/articles/emu.htm Martin has written extensively on PCs and music, and I have a lot of respect for him.

zgraf -- Emu made a previous attempt to enter the desktop music market with their 'APS' offering. At the time, it was pretty interesting -- much better A/D and D/A than the Sound Blasters available at the same time. However, it had a major flaw that was a showstopper for many (including me): all internal processing was done at 48KHz, and all incoming digital audio were sample-rate-converted to 48KHz. Even incoming 48K audio was re-converted -- there was no provision for syncing to an external audio clock! Since many people wanted to work at 44.1K .... well, it was a mess. I ended up getting a Delta 66 instead (and later, a Korg OASYS PCI on blowout for $500 -- a wonderful card, originally priced at $2200).

To make things worse (for EMU), the APS digital circuitry (converters aside) was virtually identical to the SB Audigy. Someone figured out how to 'crack' the APS driver so it would work with an Audigy card. Since the APS was priced at something like $500-600 street, and you could buy an Audigy and external high-quality A/D/A for less than half that ---- you can guess what happened.

EMU stopped APS development, and a lot of APS owners were understandably pretty ticked about it (and particularly about the lack of drivers for Win2K or XP. Sometime last year (?), EMU finally released Windows 2000/XP drivers for the APS, much to my surprise. FWIW, my OASYS PCI card still only works under Windows 98SE (or ME), or Mac OS9, and it's extremely unlikely Korg will ever release XP or OS X drivers for it. While this has ticked some people off, I'm personally cool with that (because I understand what a bear of a job it would be, with no possibility of breaking even on driver development costs given the number of units in the field). There's a small-but-thriving community around the OASYS PCI, and people are still writing new programs for it. (Dan Phillips, the former OASYS PCI product manager, has made some really amazing stuff available for free). Right now, my OASYS is shelved , but when I build my new DAW, the OASYS PCI will go into the old one and I'll dual-boot 98SE as needed (but then, I'm pretty geeky).

Anyway -- the APS was definitely flawed, and many people were very suspicious of the new product line. Certainly the 1212M/1820M has some warts -- the DPS-based effects are mostly not that great, the VST interface to those effects reportedly doesn't work so great, and the WDM drivers leave much to be desired. PatchMix is overkill for many people, and makes the product tricky to configure. That said, the audio quality and price/performance is great, IMHO. And the new products do not sample-rate-convert audio: they work at standard sample rates (and sync to incoming clock) with none of the nasty low-level digital audio artifacts that plagued the APS. Since I don't care about the DSP effects, and Sonar supports ASIO, and I'm comfortable doing OS tweaks as necessary -- the EMU cards look very attractive to me. If they're getting discounted/blown out -- that's fine too; they still fit my current needs.

So much for history -- time to make some music!

Jim
johndale
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/18 03:14:40 (permalink)
Jim, You have always seemed like a well read and experienced musician. But I would advise you to be cautious with your decision on the EMU. I have not been blowing smoke, neither has Dave and others. I have said it would be a great system if they would have got it right before they released it and Creative's support idiots would stay out of the circle. What got me and made me militant was when I had that accidental meeting in Foster City with that guy wearing the EMU company ID. And when he told me they were not working on fixing a product they had sold quite a few of and had known issues. Instead they were concentrating their resources on new product lines. That just really bothered me. And to make matters worse everything he said has come to pass so far. New products and no new drivers. If I have an axe to grind, that’s it. My system is very powerful and well tweaked. An all Intel system should be compatible with about anything. The EMU has numerous issues (this is from 8 months of everyday use) that don't make sense. If you go into the drivers, there is all of Creative's tell tale signatures and names. I really don't want to argue this, y'all going to do what you are going to do. Just be careful. It does some weird things.... JDW
urock
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 501
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/18 08:36:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jim Wright

For another take on the 1820M --
Cakewalknet.com just published a very lengthy review: http://www.cakewalknet.com/index.php?page=article/show&article=92995c34d22358f5d8dc2d51dfa06f6f

The reviewer acknowledges various issues; the worst (in his view) was that if a flaky plugin crashed, the 1820M ASIO driver would hang, requiring a reboot. That said, he experienced very few problems with Sonar 4 -- unless he used a particular plugin he liked, but knew was flaky. EMU verified the bug and said it would be fixed in the upcoming driver release (whenever that is).

FWIW, the reviewer seems to be having other problems with his unit. See http://www.productionforums.com/emu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3362

Best,

urock
Jim Wright
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/18 10:49:47 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: urock
FWIW, the reviewer seems to be having other problems with his unit. See http://www.productionforums.com/emu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3362

Best,

urock

Thanks, urock; that's an interesting thread.
Rick Paul (the reviewer) reported the problem on 5/2; iCHI published a workaround by 5/10, and said a fix would be in the (long awaited, I know) next driver release. Personally, that's something I could live with.

If you look back in forum history, you'll find lots of people mad about flaky M-Audio Delta xx drivers, for extended periods of time. I lived through that (I have a Delta 66); I'm not sure the EMU situation is as bad as that was, since many people have had splendid results with the 1820M. But hey, YMMV.

I'm not a fanatic EMU partisan, as you can probably tell from my "brief history of APS" post. I just have different expectations about driver/application/OS/hardware compatibility issues, and what's needed to work them through (and what I'm willing to deal with). If I bought an RME FireFace (at 3x the price), I'd have different expectations, because the FireFace is clearly a premium product, and RME has a stellar rep for drivers.

For johndale -- I've been wondering a bit if your Prescott P4 might be related to your problems. Those things are like stoves; the operating temps in your PC case may well be high enough to be a problem. A really excellent cooling system (which you may have) could fix that, of course, but that can be noisy (or $$$$). Just a thought..... I would personally avoid Prescotts; Intel's experience with them has been so unsatisfactory that Intel dropped all future CPU development based on the Prescott core design (writing off about $1 billion of development on future server chips in the process). Most if not all current Intel CPU designs are based on the Pentium-M design, a totally different core architected by a different Intel design team over in Israel. (Glad I wasn't part of the Prescott design team; there must have been "career-limiting effects" for people on that team....)

- Jim
johndale
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/18 17:50:11 (permalink)
Thanks Jim. Yeah the cooling thing was kind of a bear for about a week. I got a Zalman CPU cooler, 1 chassis fan, another case fan(2) that $10 Silver grease and now I idle (light work) with a core temp of @47C and pushing a large (for me) project I hit 60-62C. Intels worrys start at 75C on my chip. I also run the UAD-1 for most of my effects and processing. I had a 2.4 Prescott when I first got the EMU, which ran at more industry standard temps (comparable to the Northwood) and still had my EMU problems. I just ordered a Delta 66 ($150 including shipping) and will use that to get my new real soundcard. Myself I don't care for Firewire for audio, to me another issue that could cause problems. I've at this point decided on the LynxTwo w/ that ADAT 16 channel card. Total @ $1250 at current prices. I really have tried everything to get what I want out of the EMU. I did not want to be part of a conterversy, the card just did not meet my expitations. I'm still open to soundcard ideas. Price has become no object in this area. I just want it to sound good, be expandable and reliable. But thanks for the advise on the Prescott. I'm waiting on PCI Express to mature and also more 64bit compatable drivers before I do a machine upgrade. I don't like spending and going in circles, I'd much rather spend on other things (Guitars). But I just want a great sounding,stable machine, that will do anything my warped mind imagines (musicaly).........................JDW
CapnSpanky
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 581
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/19 11:37:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Jim Wright
If you look back in forum history, you'll find lots of people mad about flaky M-Audio Delta xx drivers, for extended periods of time. I lived through that (I have a Delta 66); I'm not sure the EMU situation is as bad as that was, since many people have had splendid results with the 1820M. But hey, YMMV.

Yeah. About 4 years ago I had an M-Audio card that I could not get installed on my PC. I emailed their tech support twice and never got a one response. Not even an automated resonse. I eventually worked out the problem myself, but my opion of M-Audio was extremely low.

Back then, there was an unofficial forum where people used scream how crappy their cards were and what sh!tty their company was. I guess it's all in your perspective.

Tim Wells
-------
Cap'n Spanky
From the Planet Screwball
steverispin
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/26 13:48:33 (permalink)
What is this "EMU only 48k" thing all about ? Why do Creative/EMU seem so immovable on it? How come every other manufacturer manages to accommodate every clockrate known to man without all this conversion? Dedicating up to 70% of a chip's processing to SRC seems like a crazy thing to do. -Double the processing, in and out, double the latency,double the error rate, double the headache.
Back in the day, I bought an AWE32, then a SBLive when they first came out - even recorded demos with them, just to get the hang of DAWs without spending a fortune. The Soundfont player built in was handy for demoing and placeholders etc when PCs weren't powerful enough for soft samplers. They were great. That was then.
Giving the chip 20x more horsepower then using it all to fix a basic design flaw seems bonkers.

My 2c
Steve
Jim Wright
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/29 15:18:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: steverispin

What is this "EMU only 48k" thing all about ? Why do Creative/EMU seem so immovable on it? How come every other manufacturer manages to accommodate every clockrate known to man without all this conversion? Dedicating up to 70% of a chip's processing to SRC seems like a crazy thing to do. -Double the processing, in and out, double the latency,double the error rate, double the headache.

Steve:

Just to clarify - I agree the "48K only" design was bonkers -- but the new EMU products do not suffer from that limitation. Creative/Emu finally did go with a better design -- at least for some products. he 1212M, 1820M, 0404M, 1616M all support a variety of clock rates -- with no on-the-fly sample rate conversion. This issue kept me from buying an APS a few years back; I've got no audio-quality concerns about buying a 1212M or 1820M (and will probably get one in the next 6-8 weeks, for a DAW I'm building).

- Jim
johndale
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/29 22:28:34 (permalink)
I just sold mine. CHEAP. No more EMU 1820m conversation from me. Bad memory. That company will never get my business again.............JDW
tsf
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/30 11:26:26 (permalink)
Jim W -

I'm considering getting a low-cost card that would allow me to use something like the Behringer ADA8000 along with it. I'm not too knowledgeable in these things, and wanted to see how you think the 1212M compares with another low-cost card allowing ADAT: the Terratec EWS 88D (http://www.jdsound.com/store/product1.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=449). The EWS 88D is about $45 less. I know there other other posts here that say good things about the EWS 88D as well. I have Sonar 2 and just record for fun, currently using a Creative Live5.1 card. I have questions from two different perspectives:
1-What would be a better bet when using in conjunction with the ADA8000 (all 8 channels)?
2-What would be better when I just need 2 analog inputs (without using ADAT/ADA8000)?

Also, am I correct in thinking that the 1212M will allow me to use all 8-channels afforded by the ADA8000 simultaneously? I know from other posts that the Terratec card will.
Thanks for any thoughts.
TSF
post edited by tsf - 2005/05/30 15:26:29
Jim Wright
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/30 17:28:30 (permalink)
tsf -

I looked at the Terratec a while back too. The converters on the 1212M are way better sounding. According to the Zzounds listing, the Terratec has 18-bit analog outputs and 16 bit analog inputs. (1212M has 24/24 bit converters that are excellent).
The 1212M will definitely support use of all 8 channels over ADAT, simultaneously. You can also use S/PDIF I/O simultaneously with both analog I/O and ADAT I/O. The Terratec doesn't support simultaneous S/PDIF and ADAT use.
The 1212M also supports 96K sample rates (with significant restrictions); Terratec does not. FWIW, I record 44.1/24 bit myself, most of the time.

If you get the Emu, plan on using ASIO (rather than WDM) drivers. There have been some reports of hardware compatibility issues (with some motherboards, marginal power supplies). The 1212M/1820M are not simple install/power-up/go devices; they have tons of options and installation can evidently be a bear. Since you already have a Creative card in your system, you'll have to be especially careful with installation, and follow the recommended procedure exactly -- regardless of whether or not you want to keep the Creative card installed, for gaming. (Emu recommends you remove any SoundBlaster type card; you can't use the SB and 1212M simultaneoulsly in any case). Also -- the PatchMix software is extremely flexible, but has a serious learning curve. Plan on spending 'quality time' figuring out how PatchMix works, and don't assume signal flow will be configured to fit your needs (or even produce audio!), out of the box.

Some people have problems with the 1212M. It may be a bit fussy with certain PC hardware combinations. Most sound cards have problems in certain scenarios (RME is perhaps an exception; their gear and drivers are highly regarded -- and priced accordingly). That said, a lot of people have been extremely happy with the 1212M and 1820M, and I'm still planning to buy one (leaning more towards 1820M at this point, since it's apparently on sale via pagecomputer.com).

My 2 bits. I don't own one yet.

- Jim
tsf
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/30 18:13:41 (permalink)
Jim,

Thanks for your detailed response. The quality issues sound important enough to me to move to the side of the EMU card. As far as the time involved in setting up the PatchMix software, do you know if the documentation is decent enough to "get through" for someone who normally doesn't deal with the technical side of audio signal flow?

Also, I noticed that EMU has already come out with the new 1616 (for laptops). Do you think that should deter me from getting the 1212m now (since I'm somewhat fine with my current setup) and instead waiting to see if EMU comes out with a new card comparable to the 1212/1820? Or, should I expect that the price of th new ones, if/when they come out, would be signficantly higher (since I'm looking for a lower-priced card anyway)?
Thanks, again.
tsf
johndale
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/31 01:00:14 (permalink)
I ran the 1820m for 8 months. I would recommend that you wait till the new drivers come out and people report back on them positively before investing. I been doing DAW well over 10 years and my experience with EMU was poor. Buyer beware. That Behringer thing will give you 8 more analog outs. But you will also be experiencing the Behringer converters in your signal chain...............JDW
sdsi
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/31 10:04:45 (permalink)

I ran the 1820m for 8 months. I would recommend that you wait till the new drivers come out and people report back on them positively before investing. I been doing DAW well over 10 years and my experience with EMU was poor. Buyer beware. That Behringer thing will give you 8 more analog outs. But you will also be experiencing the Behringer converters in your signal chain...............JDW

I believe they are Alesis converters.
Jim Wright
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/31 16:40:44 (permalink)
tsf -

The EMU manuals and a Sonar PatchMix tutorial are available here:
http://www.emu.com/support/files/download2.asp?Centric=759&Platform=1

Download'em and see for yourself

It's certainly true that some people have had a bad time with the 1820M and 1212M. Many others have had a very positive experience. It's hard to determine the percentage of users that have actually had problems, since happy customers are a lot less likely to post. There's tons of traffic on various Cakewalk forums about these cards.

If you get an Emu ---
- Don't assume you can use the Emu hardware effects via the promised VST adapter. That doesn't work well yet, especially when bouncing tracks. There are workarounds, but not great ones.
- Don't assume WDM drivers will ever do more than stereo. ASIO is the only choice for multi-tracking and full use of the card.
- Hardware Effects don't work at all above 48K sample rates. Audio I/O channel counts drop substantially above 48K sample rates; at 192K, I believe only stereo I/O works.

The CakewalkNet review is quite recent (May 14, 2005) and is pretty candid about what's great and and what's not so great. The review author wrote "Perhaps the most telling statement I can make, though, is that, after using the 1820M for approximately two months, I sold my old audio interface, thus cutting out any possibility of a return to my past status quo. Yep, the 1820M is here to stay!"

He's had some issues, noted in the review and elsewhere online, but has apparently worked them out adequately.
YMMV, as always.

- Jim
johndale
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/31 16:46:09 (permalink)
Hey Jim, I must tease. It's June 1st tomorrow. Where are those "Be advalable in Febuary" drivers. After 9 months of development, they ought to do your laundry and cook breakfast. Remember, he who laughs last..................................JDW
johndale
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/31 16:49:23 (permalink)
Oh by the way. EMU will not give you a compleate driver set. only patches. So if your original CD gets any kind of problem. Now or in the future. It will take 4-6 weeks to get a new disk from EMU. And thats after you go thru an NCIC check Why ?...............................JDW
Jim Wright
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/31 17:24:55 (permalink)
John, don't ask me where the drivers are -- I'm not writing 'em!
And, from what I've read, the current drivers should work fine for my setup, as they have for many others.
What features in particular were you hoping to get?

It's a pain that only patches are posted, rather than the full set. It may be an anti-piracy measure; it may
be that the full set is rather large (I certainly don't know). Given the grief EMU had with APS software being pirated and cracked for use with Audigy cards, a few years back, they may be a bit sensitive about things like that.

Sounds like the smart thing to do is to burn several backup copies of the original CD on receipt of the product.
I can spare the 50 cents and 10 minutes to do that.... but I agree it's a bit of a pain.

For those new to this forum, or topic: johndale was a pretty happy supporter of the 1820M until March 3 of this year. Something happened to turn him sour on the product then; he was previously quite an 1820M booster.

ORIGINAL: Johndale, March 2 2005 -- http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=389752

I've had the 1820m since October. The drivers could be better, but all in all it is a great card..............JDW

There's a lengthy thread, starting mid-Feb 2005, called Sonar 4 Emu 1820m -- any happy campers?. Most respondents were very positive. Johndale posted twice in this thread, and sounded pretty happy with the card. I really don't know exactly what his beef is -- I've asked several times, but haven't gotten a specific, factual answer (aside from the obvious: he's really pissed at Emu).

Search the forum history; make up your own mind.

- Jim
johndale
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/01 01:16:24 (permalink)
I was in a good mood that day and was tired of argueing. I found out the company were skillfull liars and had no intention of honoring what they promised. Mine worked to a point, but it was not what was advertised. I feel like a fool for paying $500 to be at best a beta tester and at worst, a mark to help them clear their warehouse of some old Audiology cards. Which they just stuck an EMU sticker over the Creative sticker. I pulled their whole system apart while I was uninstalling and was sickened by some more things I found. But like I said it does not matter now, the cards down the road and I would **** my pants before I used a Creative/EMU toilet. I feel that company lied and decieved me. Rest my case. I know what those cards will and won't do. Y'all can do what you like, but remember buyer beware......................JDW
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1