New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu?

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
urock
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 501
2005/05/10 11:00:41 (permalink)

New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu?

Creative is apparently producing a new DSP chip that is the successor to the Audigy chip used in the E-mu 1820m, 1212m, etc., among others. I guess we'll have to wait and see if this development has any impact on the future of the E-mu cards.

[Edit: changed to English source of info]

See info here: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1813855,00.asp

Best,

urock
post edited by urock - 2005/05/10 11:35:30

146 Replies Related Threads

johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/10 11:49:11 (permalink)
    It falls right into the story the "drunk guy" told me of how the 1212/1820 series was to clear the warehouse of old stock and new things were on the way. What can I say, think about it. The clincher will be if there is not a major driver revision in June.................JDW
    urock
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/10 11:54:02 (permalink)
    From the article I cite in the first post:

It could well be that the most interesting products based around X-Fi may not come from Creative, but rather E-Mu, whose Scotts Valley design team architected the X-Fi. That company's 1212M and 1820M products impressed us, and there E-Mu was building products from the existing 10K2.5. Creative isn't announcing any products based around the X-Fi today, but has stated that products will be on the market this fall. E-Mu hasn't given a timetable for its product rollouts, but those products may follow Creative's by several months to avoid the two products stealing each other's thunder.

Best,

urock
    johndale
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/10 12:32:18 (permalink)
    I guess the "drunk guy" was not so drunk after all. F*** all those people that did not believe me. Everything I said in Febuary is coming to pass, unfortunatly I don't gloat in others misery. My 1820m is going on Ebay today and I'm ordering a Audiophile to hold me over untill I get the rest of my money together for a Lynx or I might go in debt and screw it, get an apogee. Thanks for the info Urock. Go start it in the Sonar forum. I will be over directly. I'm gonna hit all the forums. Them bastards is all I can say. I did not want to be right...............JDW
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/10 12:41:39 (permalink)
    phoooo

reckon your drunk guy was right -

I also reckon i'm even more glad i got my fireface :) (which incidentally has new generation drivers out which RME reckon put them a year ahead of the competition - see the RME newsgroup to get yours)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    daverich
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/10 12:46:55 (permalink)

(quote)
    However, the X-Fi still runs its effects engines at either 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz. It cannot run them at a sampling rate of 96 KHz, but Creative has implemented what's called band-splitting to be able to apply effects to 96 KHz/24-bit content. (/quote)

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Kind regards

Dave Rich.

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/10 13:45:48 (permalink)
    The terms “Kludge” and “Rube Goldberg” come to mind.. I’m sure that same attention to detial (or lack of) is appearent in the driver code.
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/10 14:47:09 (permalink)
    I guess we'll have to wait and see if this development has any impact on the future of the E-mu cards.

while the chip looks very exciting, Creative will (unfortunately) write drivers for it
    and negate any potential benefits of the silicon.

jeff
    johndale
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/10 16:13:41 (permalink)
    I also reckon i'm even more glad i got my fireface :) (which incidentally has new generation drivers out which RME reckon put them a year ahead of the competition - see the RME newsgroup to get yours)

You will talk me into a fireface yet Dave. What do you think of the Fireface versus Lynx?

However, the X-Fi still runs its effects engines at either 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz. It cannot run them at a sampling rate of 96 KHz, but Creative has implemented what's called band-splitting to be able to apply effects to 96 KHz/24-bit content. (/quote)

But of course arcording to EMU it will run 192 khz. And cook your dinner.

The terms “Kludge” and “Rube Goldberg” come to mind.. I’m sure that same attention to detial (or lack of) is appearent in the driver code.

Frank, thats so funny it's not funny. But it is because once this is all out and with the others and I saying "I told you so" on every NG, they ought to pretty much get be out of what they call the "Pro Audio" biz.

while the chip looks very exciting, Creative will (unfortunately) write drivers for it
    and negate any potential benefits of the silicon.

Jeff you know the dril. Unfortuntly it is fact that by the time we see the benifits of this "new technology". We will have "Space DAWs" before they get the drivers right. Well I guess the "drunk guy" was right. That I'm gloating on because some people did not beleive me. All I did was tell people what I was told. You have to admit, if you played a gig in Hayward and needed a room because home was 200 miles away. You would cross the San Mateo and get a room on that side. Hell E. Palo Alto is as safe as Hayward. I'll let you know when we are down there again. I know Andrew over at "The Sweetwater" in Mill Valley, but I don't feel our act is ready yet. I've played in a few Marin bands and I know what is expected if you want on that circuit. You know the "Bay Area" blow it once and it's a hard road back.

Well I don't know what to say, but I got to get a new card quick, before Ebay is swamped with 1820m's. Good day....................JDW
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/10 17:43:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: johndale

Frank, thats so funny it's not funny. But it is because once this is all out and with the others and I saying "I told you so" on every NG, they ought to pretty much get be out of what they call the "Pro Audio" biz.

Failure doesn't seem to be a reason to quit the sound card biz. Remember the Presonus Firestation ? They are back at it again. They didn't do too bad for the second try the only real big problem is the driver doesn't respond to a sample rate change. If they fix that the Firepod will be a way cool box. I'll loose a bet, but it would be cool..
    johndale
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/10 17:56:58 (permalink)
    I wish they would because I really like my other Presonus products. I would get one in a minute. What do you think of the Firebox. Does it share the same issue? As long as it is stable I can deal with the rate change issues. I've got used to staying ay 24/48 and just dithering in Wavelab or if I am in rush letting Sonar do it. If I was sure I could trust the thing for sure I'd order today (Firebox) I think crap is gonna hit the fan. So I got rid of that thing................JDW
    daverich
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/11 09:18:30 (permalink)

You will talk me into a fireface yet Dave. What do you think of the Fireface versus Lynx?

I've not heard the lynx, but bang/buck the fireface is very hard to beat. I just love that it works standalone also.

Read up on it, I know the lynx has some very nice converters - as did the emu, and I'm not missing them :)

Kind regards

Dave Rich
    post edited by daverich - 2005/05/11 09:21:05

johndale
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/11 14:43:22 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave. I was going to stay PCI if I could, as my system is set up that way and works simply and efficiently. And the Fireface is roughly $500 USD more and I'm starting to find the need for a second UAD-1. Or maybe a...................Powercore......................JDW
    xackley
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/11 17:57:59 (permalink)
    I'm gonna hit all the forums. Them bastards

John

I was hoping for some liinks to the discussions.

Don

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
    http://www.vggallery.com
    Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/11 20:45:35 (permalink)
    I know Andrew over at "The Sweetwater" in Mill Valley, but I don't feel our act is ready yet. I've played in a few Marin bands and I know what is expected if you want on that circuit. You know the "Bay Area" blow it once and it's a hard road back.

i wonder if the drunk guy is still employed ;-( ... and i don't know .. club owners don't seem to
    talk as much anymore .. now that all the bands have demo CD's ;-) But, wherever ya gig .. give
    us a heads-up ;-)
    jeff
    johndale
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/11 23:23:42 (permalink)
    John

I was hoping for some liinks to the discussions.

Don

Don, I decided to stay out of it. There is no sense in saying "I told you so". I wished I was wrong. But that guy seemed awfully real and the way it happened, was just too much. But heres some links to some good forums. I don't know what they are saying. I've been recording and BSn here.
    Gearslutz Pro Audio Northernsounds Rightmark Sound Central(Tweakheadz)Soundsonline. There you go Don.

i wonder if the drunk guy is still employed ;-( ... and i don't know .. club owners don't seem to
    talk as much anymore .. now that all the bands have demo CD's ;-) But, wherever ya gig .. give
    us a heads-up ;-)
    jeff

I hope so Jeff. He did a good thing or tried anyhow. I never said anything. Yeah the "Entertanment Directors" don't talk much. But people do. And if you don't draw, you don't work. You know how that Buzz goes. Yea I will drop you a line through your band page. Maybe you could show me some of those hole in the wall audio shops. I was down at "Leos" in early April and I was told there are some little places in the "City" I'd be interested in. We did not go that day because my wife has to be in a certain mood to be in a car with me in SF. You got to remember I've driven DC,NYC LA, Ot' lahta etc. I know how to act. But my passengers don't sometimes. Take care.........JDW
    urock
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/13 15:20:15 (permalink)
    More info on the X-Fi chip:

http://soundblaster.com/products/x-fi/technology/

See the sub page for "audio creation enthuasiasts" for more DAW specific stuff:

http://soundblaster.com/products/x-fi/technology/audiocreation/

Best,

urock
    post edited by urock - 2005/05/13 15:21:40
    johndale
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/14 14:34:35 (permalink)
    Darn, They make it sound like it does all the things the 1212/1820 series was supposed to do. Creative are not a bunch of lying, crooked cheats. I think I'll trust them. And buy one of these. They did not know they were coming out with a new chip, no they are not dis-honest. Hey the buzz on the company forum is no new drivers in June either. It is very comical reading. All them numbnuts that said I was full of it and the "drunk guy" either did not exist or was wrong. Who's the drunk guy now? Maybe you EMU beleivers? Maybe ICHI will buy you a drink. Don't we always buy a drink for someone we just screwed? Nah, not Ichi and EMU, they have no class at all. Them idiot EMU groupies are saying "well my card works perfect, it does not matter if new drivers come out". Oh it will about SP3 or Longhorn or Sonar 5 time. What about ASIO 2.2? He-HE, I'm gloating. But, hey they are coming out with this card, I'm just gonna run out and buy one. Check out this specs. But darn where have I heard these things before?

The Most Advanced Audio Conversion Engine And Flexibility EVER!

X-Fi's XtremeFidelity Engine provides a SRC so precise that even the highest quality DACs (rated at 118dB SNR) generate more noise! Delivering 100% transparent conversion at 135dB quality both up or down in resolution frees you from the constraints of having to be concerned about recording resolution versus final resolution! However X-Fi also delivers the flexibility to perform digital-matched recordings in all resolutions from 44.1kHz to 96kHz natively!

Lowest Latency, Most Precise ASIO Recording!

Experience the recording performance that only X-Fi can deliver! The XtremeFidelity engine delivers the lowest latency recording performance ever seen in this price-bracket with latency as low 1ms. Most importantly at does so with 0% CPU load!

XtremeFidelity Audio Processing For Features You Won't Believe!

X-Fi truly stands alone in delivering the most advanced audio processing capabilities ever released! X-Fi supports up to eight different 24-bit hardware effects, unprecedented hardware synthesis capabilities with 24-bit SoundFont sampling and 3DMIDI (providing surround-sound MIDI recording for the first-time ever)!

He-He..................................JDW
    daverich
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/14 15:24:07 (permalink)
    (quote)Most importantly at does so with 0% CPU load!(/quote)

Typos on the informercial heh.

Looks like the monkey is running out of bananas.

hehe.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

daverich
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/14 15:26:07 (permalink)
    oh thats precious.

across the top of their website -

"GAMES MUSIC AND MOVIES SOUND BEST ON SOUNDBLASTER."

Another court hearing methinks?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

johndale
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/14 16:35:35 (permalink)
    I still got my Attorney friend. He thinks all of this is quite interesting. How do Attorneys know these things. When I wanted to jump before, he said "Sit back and see how this unfolds, give them some rope". Well I think he was right. And they are still pushing the 1820/1212 series. Ruthless, no consience bastars are they not.. Remember 9 days and they will not remember what these series of cards were. The funny one is some of those numbnuts on that forum think they(EMU) wil replace their chips. They are acting in dis-beleif EMU support is saying "No knowledge of a new driver". I got to get me another Email with a date in the next few days saying that. I'm not going for class action. i am gonna continue my lonesome quest in screwing them. I got a lot of evidence of their shell game. I'm ready. They have commited fraud and in California they have violated comsumer protection laws. I have not heard any "Fat Lady sing", it's not over till it's over..........................JDW
    daverich
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/16 15:03:12 (permalink)
    hehe -

well check this out.

All CD music is in 16-bit resolution, which is typically compressed from an original 24-bit studio recording. When converting CD music to MP3 format, the music is compressed yet again. These types of compression result in a compromise of audio quality and clarity. The Creative X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity audio processor drives new applications that can enhance MP3s by bringing them back to 24-bit quality, and allows the user to upgrade the music to multi-channel surround sound. This enhancement enables virtually all MP3 music to sound even better than it did on the original CDs.

http://www.creative.com/corporate/pressrelease/welcome.asp?section=13-1thmay05

I'd say that's asking for a lawsuit.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/16 21:13:31 (permalink)
    The Creative X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity audio processor drives new applications that can enhance MP3s by bringing them back to 24-bit quality,

Why are we wasting our time (and memory) recording in 24-bit, then?
    It's 8-bits max for me from here on out!
    Alndln
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 00:38:28 (permalink)

All them numbnuts that said I was full of it and the "drunk guy" either did not exist or was wrong.
    Well,in my brothers case(he uses the 1820M)the drunk guy was most certainly wrong since he has no problems with the "drunk guy's"assertion that the drivers were "flawed" going on a year now.
    Who's the drunk guy now?
    You?
    "well my card works perfect, it does not matter if new drivers come out".
    Why does that fact seem to rub you the wrong way? Anyway,we never had any interest in Creative's DSP side of things and we still don't.Since you still have no proof(as usual) the the drivers were flawed(you claims were laughable,sorry),how does Creativ'e announcement of a new DSP chip vindicate you in any way.I think I'm starting to get a feeling who the "drunk guy" really is,at least it would explain things.
    post edited by Alndln - 2005/05/17 00:43:35
    Alndln
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 03:28:52 (permalink)

F*** all those people that did not believe me.
    That creative was going to develop a new DSP chip for their Soundblasters? Who cares and what does this have to do with EMU's drivers?
    daverich
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 04:08:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Alndln

F*** all those people that did not believe me.
    That creative was going to develop a new DSP chip for their Soundblasters? Who cares and what does this have to do with EMU's drivers?

quite alot actually as it's being part-developed by emu. Emu is not a big company ;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

johndale
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 07:12:42 (permalink)
    Well,in my brothers case(he uses the 1820M)the drunk guy was most certainly wrong since he has no problems with the "drunk guy's"assertion that the drivers were "flawed" going on a year now.

quote:

Who's the drunk guy now?

You?

quote:

"well my card works perfect, it does not matter if new drivers come out".

Why does that fact seem to rub you the wrong way? Anyway,we never had any interest in Creative's DSP side of things and we still don't.Since you still have no proof(as usual) the the drivers were flawed(you claims were laughable,sorry),how does Creativ'e announcement of a new DSP chip vindicate you in any way.I think I'm starting to get a feeling who the "drunk guy" really is,at least it would explain things.

Alndln, One I don't drink. Two I have given plenty of proof (where the hell are the "Febuary" drivers). Three. I was told "No new drivers, EMU is putting all their effort into a new chip. That is what is happening. I don't need to say crap. EMU is saying it all. Your brother is a lucky one. I also wonder what "funcyioning" actually means to you. The point is they are not going to do anymore with that card. It is antique technology and I guess they are about out of those EMU stickers to cover up the "Audiology" on the card. I have better luck with the thing than most and see its shortfalls. Why are all the people that do this for a living ragging these cards. But people whom the EMU is their first card are saying the card is good? This card is history, fortunatly. And as far as "explaining things" everything he said is coming true.................JDW
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 11:48:31 (permalink)

..... Why are all the people that do this for a living ragging these cards. But people whom the EMU is their first card are saying the card is good? .............JDW

Again, asserting your interpretation like they're facts -- and here, contradicted by the real fact that Jim Roseberry has been on this forum and others, vigourously supporting the cards.

No offense, John, but I will take Jim's recommendation over your axe-to-grind-spinning any day of the week. In fact, after hearing the card in action (as well as Jim's endorsement) I've just ordered the 1212M, and should have it in a couple days!

JD
    post edited by JonD - 2005/05/17 11:52:54
    johndale
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 12:58:10 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry, push's products for a living. You really think he paid for his. I got know ****ing axe to grind. I just tell the truth and the truth is out there. I'n right down the road from where Creative/EMU does their "engineering". I know a lit also. I'm not gonna argue the point.......................JDW
    johndale
    RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/05/17 13:09:21 (permalink)
    Buy the way. Where is your "Febuary" drivers. Just go to Settings/Control pane/sounds and audio devices/Hardware/EMU DSP. highlight the EMU DSP, click properties, go to drivers. I think when you look at the date, names and make of the drivers you will see the truth. No I guess you'll think someone climbed in your computer and changed that. Whatever, yeah Jim will put together a daw for ya and he will sell you an emu card. Because he makes a fat profit. Look I walked into my first studio in 1973 and I been around hardware a bit also. Everything I say about the card is fact. I have no axe to grind. EMU cards are just garbage................JDW
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1